ImageImageImage

Booker Discussion, news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Where would you rank last year's Booker on the 2004-05 team?

Best player
11%
2nd best
19%
3rd best
36%
4th best
24%
5th best
10%

Total votes: 103

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,637

Re: Booker updates and news 

Post#421 » by Saberestar » Thu Feb 7, 2019 11:13 am

Damkac wrote:I'll be honest, if I was Booker I would request a trade now. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he does. Why waste your career on a team runned by cheap idiots?

Too late for this trade deadline...but it is a possibility this summer.

We need to improve the roster. BADLY.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,074

Post#422 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:14 pm

Damkac wrote:I'll be honest, if I was Booker I would request a trade now. I wouldn't blame him a bit if he does. Why waste your career on a team runned by cheap idiots?

They are not that cheap. They gave him a max. But he may want out if he feels he can't be the alpha dog on a decent to good team and needs to play 2nd or 3rd banana. I think he kind of wants to be that alpha dog too.
handsome salary
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,095

Post#423 » by handsome salary » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 pm

Is Booker the next Wiggins? Paid max salary with little impact on team wins.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#424 » by bwgood77 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:10 pm

handsome salary wrote:Is Booker the next Wiggins? Paid max salary with little impact on team wins.

Maybe a bit more like Kevin Martin, though Martin had over a 60% TS% for like 6 years in his prime..like years 2-9 with a couple of years a bit below.

Booker a better passer, and their defense both really bad. Martin was a little older coming into the league though.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#425 » by thamadkant » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:11 am

This is my fear.

Booker becoming Kevin Martin or a flashier JJ Redick. And I got crucified for it a couple of years back for my comparison. Last year I thought he has turned the corner... And he could be Ginobili esque... With less agility... But now he's turned into a homeless man's James Harden...

Hence I always prefer two way perimeter players. Seeing Paul George put up Michael Jordan like two way numbers minus the 3s... I would no doubt have signed him to a 170 Million contract last season if he was interested.

I don't think Booker will live up to that contract... If you are expecting him to be main man.

He is ideal as second option to a prime Lebron James or even current Kawhi / George.
Someone who will dominate in both ends and just let him score to help the burden offensively.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#426 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 am

Is Devin Booker Larry Nance?

If the team doesn't turn around before the trade deadline a year from now, maybe.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#427 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:Is Devin Booker Larry Nance?

If the team doesn't turn around before the trade deadline a year from now, maybe.

In the sense of using him for trade, I don't know. It's hard to know his worth with the contract. Nance was better too. He was averaging like 22 (on like 60+ TS%) and 9 with over 3 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal, had been an all star, and had BPM and VORP around 5.

If only we could find another KJ though. Even Corbin and West were quality players. Corbin was really good and our team was so deep within a year or two we couldn't even protect him in the expansion draft.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,080

Post#428 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:43 am

bwgood77 wrote:

In the sense of using him for trade, I don't know. It's hard to know his worth with the contract. Nance was better too. He was averaging like 22 (on like 60+ TS%) and 9 with over 3 assists, 2 blocks and 1 steal, had been an all star, and had BPM and VORP around 5.

If only we could find another KJ though. Even Corbin and West were quality players. Corbin was really good and our team was so deep within a year or two we couldn't even protect him in the expansion draft.

I'm not skeptical about Book's value. The esteem other players hold him in is very high. Coaches routinely design their defenses to stop him. I have no doubt we'd have great offers for him -- hard to imagine we'd actually end up with a better player, though, as we did with KJ vis a vis Nance.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#429 » by bwgood77 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:05 am

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I'm not skeptical about Book's value. The esteem other players hold him in is very high. Coaches routinely design their defenses to stop him. I have no doubt we'd have great offers for him -- hard to imagine we'd actually end up with a better player, though, as we did with KJ vis a vis Nance.

Well the best thing going for his trade value (if we ever do want to trade him (which I don't imagine happening until either he asks out or if we had two more years of an awful team while surrounding him with some more supporting casts and maybe trying another coach) is if another team doesn't mind the annual amount he is getting paid, is that he is under contract for 5 more years. But if we were awful for another couple of years and decided to trade him, his value may have dropped, particularly with his contract going up (though the cap would be too).

I just hope he grows up a little bit and starts playing defense more than a few plays a game.
AtheJ415
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Post#430 » by AtheJ415 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 am

thamadkant wrote:This is my fear.

Booker becoming Kevin Martin or a flashier JJ Redick. And I got crucified for it a couple of years back for my comparison. Last year I thought he has turned the corner... And he could be Ginobili esque... With less agility... But now he's turned into a homeless man's James Harden...

Hence I always prefer two way perimeter players. Seeing Paul George put up Michael Jordan like two way numbers minus the 3s... I would no doubt have signed him to a 170 Million contract last season if he was interested.

I don't think Booker will live up to that contract... If you are expecting him to be main man.

He is ideal as second option to a prime Lebron James or even current Kawhi / George.
Someone who will dominate in both ends and just let him score to help the burden offensively.

Kevin Martin and JJ Redick are non-playmakers. They are strict shooters. Martin averaged 2.5 APG for his career. Booker is averaging like 7.5 this year at 22. Yes, Booker is playing more PG than either of those ever have, but that's because Booker is able to create off the dribble, while the others aren't.

Worst case scenario offensively Booker is an elite secondary playmaker. That is not the same as some role playing screen shooter. He isn't Landry Shamet. Just very different players. Best case he's Harden. Defensively Book is a disaster right now but he's not hopeless. He does need to grow up a bit on that end and stop checking out of games. The team sucks at D and it impacts everyone's numbers but Bridges and others defend regardless. Book needs to lead by playing with effort on that end. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that if we were more competitive he would try harder and be a below average defender, which would be a big improvement.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#431 » by Revived » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:27 am

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jordyn-woods-told-friends-she-205215266.html

I wonder how stupid Booker has to feel through all this. There must’ve been like at least 20 other NBA players itself.
Cutter
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#432 » by Cutter » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:41 am

I've been very critical of Booker recently. His play this year plus his looming max salary have me looking through entirely different lenses than just a couple of years ago when he was a second year player putting up great numbers. Plus, to me, he has developed a bit of a too-cool-for-school attitude towards the team.

However, to be fair he is being asked to do way too much on this team, and doesn't have the skill set to carry this team offensively and have such high usage, then play top tier defense on the other end of the floor. He's just not good enough to carry that big of a load. I think a perfect role for Booker is a Klay Thompson type role. The 3rd or 4th best layer on the team, surrounded by a high usage PG (no, I'm not saying we need Steph Curry) who can stretch the floor. I think Devin could possibly thrive with better talent on the team to take the load off of his shoulders.

My big question is whether he would be willing to hand over the reins of the team to someone else and assume a Klay Thompson role, or would he turn into a drama queen about it.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#433 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:02 pm

He has been 100% healthy in the last few games and that is why he is playing like a MAX player.

What a monster performance against the Knicks. Keep it up Book!

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#434 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 7, 2019 11:36 pm

Saberestar wrote:He has been 100% healthy in the last few games and that is why he is playing like a MAX player.

I'm not gonna play that game. Too many excuses. When he has a good game, he's 100% healthy. When he has a bad game, he shouldn't be playing hurt. I'm just gonna go by results and he had a really good game yesterday.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#435 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 7, 2019 11:55 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:
Saberestar wrote:He has been 100% healthy in the last few games and that is why he is playing like a MAX player.

I'm not gonna play that game. Too many excuses. When he has a good game, he's 100% healthy. When he has a bad game, he shouldn't be playing hurt. I'm just gonna go by results and he had a really good game yesterday.

Well, he said that before the game. I think it's true. He looks faster and stronger in the last few games...not just his shooting.
Read on Twitter
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#436 » by darmani » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:59 am

"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#437 » by jcsunsfan » Fri Mar 8, 2019 6:36 am

Saberestar wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:

Well, he said that before the game. I think it's true. He looks faster and stronger in the last few games...not just his shooting.
Read on Twitter

This team has to learn to enjoy winning. Then they have to learn to absolutely HATE losing. All the great teams hate losing more than they enjoy winning.
Damkac
Analyst
And1: 2,894

Post#438 » by Damkac » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am

Was wondering what would it take for Booker to become Suns all time scoring leader. Right now it is Walter Davis with 15666 points and Booker has 5630 so far so 10k to go. If he keep scoring around 25 a game and hopefully won't be missing too many games he could do this before he turns 30. If he stays Sun all this time of course.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#439 » by Saberestar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:08 am

sunskerr
General Manager
And1: 5,297

Post#440 » by sunskerr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:16 pm

I believe he will become a legitimate top 10 guy next year.

Return to Phoenix Suns