2019 Falcons Draft Talk and Free Agency

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Re: 2019 Falcons Draft Talk and Free Agency 

Post#41 » by HMFFL » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:01 am

According to sports gambling website MyBookie, the Atlanta Falcons are +400 favorites to land disgruntled Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.

Atlanta’s odds are better than the likes of the Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets, and Oakland Raiders, all of whom immediately proceed them in terms of odds.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/15/nfl-minute-why-are-the-falcons-the-favorites-to-land-antonio-brown/

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#42 » by HMFFL » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 am

Scores are TD but many people believe we need a much needed upgrade at TE.

Falcons' Austin Hooper scores lone touchdown for NFC in 2019 Pro Bowl

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/1/28/18200060/our-predictions-for-falcons-pro-bowlers-next-season

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#43 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:42 am

What happens if the Falcons cut ties with Vic Beasley?

The Falcons will have to make a decision with their 2015 first round pick this offseason. Here is what will happen if the two parties go their separate ways.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/2/18202949/what-happens-if-the-falcons-cut-ties-with-vic-beasley

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#44 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:40 pm

Matt Bryant becomes a free agent.

ESPN's Vaughn McClure reports the Bucs "will have interest" in free agent K Matt Bryant.

Bryant is just waiting for his formal release after announcing on Wednesday that the Falcons were cutting him. New Bucs STs coordinator Keith Armstrong was Bryant's special teams coach in Atlanta for the entirety of his 10 seasons with the Falcons. Bryant kicked for the Bucs from 2005-2008. The Bucs have long been looking for a steadying presence at kicker.
Source: Vaughn McClure on Twitter
Feb 6 - 1:46 PM

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#45 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:42 pm

Falcons released CB Robert Alford

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#46 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:08 am

Bruce Carter receives one year contract extension .

https://clutchpoints.com/falcons-news-ink-lb-bruce-carter-to-contract-extension/

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Post#47 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:50 pm

Identifying Every NFL Team's Dream Draft Target

Atlanta Falcons: Houston DT Ed Oliver

The Atlanta Falcons just trudged to a disappointing 7-9 season. But that lousy record and a draft class choked with defensive line talent could combine to drop a game-changer into Atlanta's lap at No. 14.

Before knee troubles threw a wrench into his 2018 season, Houston's Ed Oliver was in play for consideration as the No. 1 overall pick in 2019. The 6'3", 292-pounder, who has 31 tackles for loss the past two seasons, has drawn comparisons to both Aaron Donald of the Los Angeles Rams and Geno Atkins of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Yes, the Falcons already have Grady Jarrett, and there's no guarantee Oliver will blossom in the pros like Donald did—if there were, he'd go No. 1 overall.

But he's got a very similar skill set to Donald's, as he offsets his lack of ideal size with an explosive first step.

And upgrading the defensive front is arguably Atlanta's biggest offseason priority in 2019.
Bleacher Report
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#48 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Falcons are NFL’s ‘least needy’ team entering 2019 offseason

One team that seems to be luckier than the rest are the Atlanta Falcons, who who recently ranked dead last by Sports Illustrated in their list of the “neediest” teams in the NFL this offseason.

According to that ranking, the Falcons have the least work to do in the league.

But that doesn’t mean the Falcons won’t have any work to do over the next few weeks, and chief among their tasks will be rejuvenating their defensive line.

“You can’t have too many pass rushers, even if you drafted one in the first round in 2015 (Vic Beasley, left) and another in ’17 (Takk McKinley), and are also likely to re-sign Grady Jarrett, an excellent gap shooter inside,” Sports Illustrated analyst Andy Benoit says.

“But these three, though gifted individually, are collectively inconsistent. Dan Quinn’s simple but detailed 4–3 scheme only works if the four man rush is getting to the quarterback.”

Unable to consistently get pressure on the quarterback meant that the Falcons also allowed 36 yards per drive on defense, the third most in the NFL, as were their 2.39 points allowed per drive.

The coming months will see the Falcons orchestrating roster moves to help make improvements at many positions, but it is good to know the team is starting from a position of strength.

Best potential free agent signing: Markus Golden, Cardinals
24/7 Sports
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#49 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 am

Jamaaliver wrote:
Falcons are NFL’s ‘least needy’ team entering 2019 offseason

One team that seems to be luckier than the rest are the Atlanta Falcons, who who recently ranked dead last by Sports Illustrated in their list of the “neediest” teams in the NFL this offseason.

According to that ranking, the Falcons have the least work to do in the league.

But that doesn’t mean the Falcons won’t have any work to do over the next few weeks, and chief among their tasks will be rejuvenating their defensive line.

“You can’t have too many pass rushers, even if you drafted one in the first round in 2015 (Vic Beasley, left) and another in ’17 (Takk McKinley), and are also likely to re-sign Grady Jarrett, an excellent gap shooter inside,” Sports Illustrated analyst Andy Benoit says.

“But these three, though gifted individually, are collectively inconsistent. Dan Quinn’s simple but detailed 4–3 scheme only works if the four man rush is getting to the quarterback.”

Unable to consistently get pressure on the quarterback meant that the Falcons also allowed 36 yards per drive on defense, the third most in the NFL, as were their 2.39 points allowed per drive.

The coming months will see the Falcons orchestrating roster moves to help make improvements at many positions, but it is good to know the team is starting from a position of strength.

Best potential free agent signing: Markus Golden, Cardinals
24/7 Sports
Interesting.
I think we have plenty of defensive holes that need to be filled and on the offensive line.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#50 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:33 am

Falcons sign RT Ty Sambrailo to a 3 year deal
85 comments
A slightly surprising deal with potentially big ramifications

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/2/19/18231583/atlanta-falcons-sign-rt-ty-sambrailo-to-a-3-year-deal-uh-oh-ryan-schraeder

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#51 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:34 am

Falcons 2019 free agency dream target profile: EDGE Jadeveon Clowney

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/20/falcons-jadeveon-clowney-nfl-free-agency-2019/

atlantabbq99
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#52 » by atlantabbq99 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:45 am

Would you trade #17 and 2020's first round pick to move up to get Quinnen Williams?
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#53 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 4, 2019 2:42 am

atlantabbq99 wrote:Would you trade #17 and 2020's first round pick to move up to get Quinnen Williams?
I would

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 4, 2019 8:50 pm

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Jets "think highly of" free agent Tevin Coleman.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reported the same thing three days ago. One source told Hughes the Jets were more interested in Coleman than Le'Veon Bell, with his "low mileage" and "price tag" the selling points. Coleman would likely remain a committee back in New York, and arguably a redundant talent to Isaiah Crowell.
Related:

New York Jets

Source: The Athletic
Mar 4, 2019, 2:56 PM

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#55 » by HMFFL » Fri Mar 8, 2019 5:02 pm

I believe Michael Bennett will be cut and he continues to be linked to us due to Quinn. He could be a cheap option for us but maybe he's too much of a headcase?

Michael Bennett DL, Philadelphia Eagles
The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles will release or trade DE Michael Bennett.

Not only has Bennett said he's unwilling to take a pay cut, he actually wants a raise. And that's fair since he's due just $6 million this season after coming off another very productive year. The Eagles opted to re-sign DE Brandon Graham to a big-money deal, making it necessary in their minds to move Bennett. Bennett turns 34 this year but still has plenty of gas left in the tank.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Mar 8, 2019, 11:01 AM

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by HMFFL » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:08 am

NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports that the Houston Texans "will look to trade back" during the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Texans own the No. 23 overall pick, but that may be too late to grab one of the top offensive tackles in the class, so they may find more value in the second round instead of reaching for a position of desperate need. By trading down, the Texans would be in a better position to find more immediate starters and special teamers as they look to go on a Super Bowl run with Deshaun Watson on his rookie contract. Trading back has been a successful strategy more times than not.
Source: Lance Zierlein on Twitter

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#57 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:03 pm

HMFFL wrote:NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports that the Houston Texans "will look to trade back" during the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Texans own the No. 23 overall pick, but that may be too late to grab one of the top offensive tackles in the class, so they may find more value in the second round instead of reaching for a position of desperate need. By trading down, the Texans would be in a better position to find more immediate starters and special teamers as they look to go on a Super Bowl run with Deshaun Watson on his rookie contract. Trading back has been a successful strategy more times than not.

That's a solid strategy and I wouldn't mind seeing us pursue a similar avenue.

In the NFL, depth is possibly more important than flat talent -- with all the injuries top players sustain throughout the year.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#58 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:07 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 pm

And we have little cap space to be a big player in free agency but we have made some moves.
I want depth too.
I look forward to the draft and hope for the best.
Jamaaliver wrote:
HMFFL wrote:NFL.com's Lance Zierlein reports that the Houston Texans "will look to trade back" during the 2019 NFL Draft.

That's a solid strategy and I wouldn't mind seeing us pursue a similar avenue.

In the NFL, depth is possibly more important than flat talent -- with all the injuries top players sustain throughout the year.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#60 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:13 am

Cleveland and NY Giants trade:

Browns acquired WR Odell Beckham from the Giants in exchange for 2019 first- and third-round picks and S Jabrill Peppers.
Related:

Jabrill Peppers, New York Giants

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Return to Atlanta Falcons