ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: tank thread/ draft watch 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 9, 2019 9:29 pm

jbk1234 wrote:I think we need to look at a back up rim protector with the Rockets pick. I prefer to let Henson and TT walk after next season (assuming they're not traded). Things got really ugly when Nance went down last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app

Yeah if Gafford, Jalen Smith or Bruno are there,but I am thinking they would maybe rather pick up a cheaper contract Tariq Owens or Neemias Queta in the 2nd if they can get one to fill that need using the later first on a different position, barring what happens early. I mean if lucky enough to get Zion, taking a sg seems most likely with the Rockets pick. If taking a Barrett or sim early, a front court player seems more likely at 25
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#82 » by jbk1234 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I think we need to look at a back up rim protector with the Rockets pick. I prefer to let Henson and TT walk after next season (assuming they're not traded). Things got really ugly when Nance went down last night.

Yeah if Gafford, Jalen Smith or Bruno are there,but I am thinking they would maybe rather pick up a cheaper contract Tariq Owens or Neemias Queta in the 2nd if they can get one to fill that need using the later first on a different position, barring what happens early. I mean if lucky enough to get Zion, taking a sg seems most likely with the Rockets pick. If taking a Barrett or sim early, a front court player seems more likely at 25
I'd consider us lucky if we somehow managed to draft Barrett. I'm reconciling myself with the reality that it will probably be Culver/Reddish.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#83 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:56 am

jbk1234 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

I'd consider us lucky if we somehow managed to draft Barrett. I'm reconciling myself with the reality that it will probably be Culver/Reddish.

I understand...but the odds are no worse or better on the projected finish than where the pick may land imo.
With Zion gone I could justify several prospects not named Barrett Ja or Reddish being worthy of the #2 pick but the odds are obviously greater it's one of those 3 at @#2 3 or 4... but even at 5 or 6 Cavs can get equal value if they do their scouting right.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#84 » by Revenged25 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:54 pm

So is there any version of this offseason playing out where if we get the #1 pick that we don't keep Zion? For example if we were to win the lottery but could get two lottery picks, one of which would give us our choice of Barrett/Reddish etc, would you take that over Zion or just run with Zion and move players around to fit?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:30 pm

Here is another mock where we are lucky enough to grab Zion and pick up Okpala from the Houston pick ( who arguably has as much upside but is just as raw as the overrated Reddish...)
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/557955/
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#86 » by afarmenian » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 am

Revenged25 wrote:So is there any version of this offseason playing out where if we get the #1 pick that we don't keep Zion? For example if we were to win the lottery but could get two lottery picks, one of which would give us our choice of Barrett/Reddish etc, would you take that over Zion or just run with Zion and move players around to fit?

You take Zion and you do not look back. You just cannot risk being the team that passes and watches him become the next big thing.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#87 » by gflem » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:55 pm

afarmenian wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:So is there any version of this offseason playing out where if we get the #1 pick that we don't keep Zion? For example if we were to win the lottery but could get two lottery picks, one of which would give us our choice of Barrett/Reddish etc, would you take that over Zion or just run with Zion and move players around to fit?

You take Zion and you do not look back. You just cannot risk being the team that passes and watches him become the next big thing.

Not sure about that. Atl has two picks, and if they end up say at 2 and 5, you could be looking at Barrett and Reddish, or Morant and Reddish. Possibly Porter or another big with the Houston pick. And, you could possibly pry their 2nd rounder as well if they want zion bad enough.
The reason I would at least consider it is would the team look in a few seasons like the Lebron teams with Zion? I mean in regards to style of play and trying to surround a singular type talent with role players, not the four straight finals appearances. Of course we would all take that.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#88 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:11 pm

gflem wrote:
afarmenian wrote:

Not sure about that. Atl has two picks, and if they end up say at 2 and 5, you could be looking at Barrett and Reddish, or Morant and Reddish. Possibly Porter or another big with the Houston pick. And, you could possibly pry their 2nd rounder as well if they want zion bad enough.
The reason I would at least consider it is would the team look in a few seasons like the Lebron teams with Zion? I mean in regards to style of play and trying to surround a singular type talent with role players, not the four straight finals appearances. Of course we would all take that.

I would draft Okpala,Okeke,King or Grimes at 25 after taking Zion before I justified trading down for 1 of Barrett or Ja just to also get the most overrated prospect in the draft in Reddish.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#89 » by Revenged25 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:42 am

Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:
afarmenian wrote:

I would draft Okpala,Okeke,King or Grimes at 25 after taking Zion before I justified trading down for 1 of Barrett or Ja just to also get the most overrated prospect in the draft in Reddish.

Well what if the #5 pick was turned into someone like Mo Bamba?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#90 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:02 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
gflem wrote:Not sure about that. Atl has two picks, and if they end up say at 2 and 5, you could be looking at Barrett and Reddish, or Morant and Reddish. Possibly Porter or another big with the Houston pick. And, you could possibly pry their 2nd rounder as well if they want zion bad enough.

In that scenario I would hope they just draft Hayes or Bol.

Not sure why any team besides maybe one desperate for Ja like Pho or CHI that have really promising front courts that would even remotely consider passing on Zion and even then it would have to be a return that gutted the team getting Zion which is unlikely.

Every time I see Zion play I see him do something else outstanding that he hasn't done before. his court vision is a highly underrated aspect to his game along with his defense. If he adds a consistent knock down shot there is no way in hell this guy doesn't dominate the league for the next 10 years.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#91 » by Revenged25 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:14 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I would draft Okpala,Okeke,King or Grimes at 25 after taking Zion before I justified trading down for 1 of Barrett or Ja just to also get the most overrated prospect in the draft in Reddish.

Not sure why any team besides maybe one desperate for Ja like Pho or CHI that have really promising front courts that would even remotely consider passing on Zion and even then it would have to be a return that gutted the team getting Zion which is unlikely.

Every time I see Zion play I see him do something else outstanding that he hasn't done before. his court vision is a highly underrated aspect to his game along with his defense. If he adds a consistent knock down shot there is no way in hell this guy doesn't dominate the league for the next 10 years.

I think that's where my concern lies. I'm more confident that Barrett can become more efficient and be part of a dynamic backcourt with Sexton than I am that Zion develops a consistent knock down shot. If it's any other player in this draft other than Barrett, I'm taking Zion and make things work from there, but I think Barrett has just as much potential to be a star in the NBA with his skillset. It might not be as unique as what Zion brings, but he has the tried and true skills to be a stud. If you prefer Hayes or Bol than Bamba than that's fine too, and although I can see where Zion's unique skillset puts him above every other prospect in a draft board, I can also see where he could top out as a more athletic DeAndre Jordan type player.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#92 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:

I think that's where my concern lies. I'm more confident that Barrett can become more efficient and be part of a dynamic backcourt with Sexton than I am that Zion develops a consistent knock down shot. If it's any other player in this draft other than Barrett, I'm taking Zion and make things work from there, but I think Barrett has just as much potential to be a star in the NBA with his skillset. It might not be as unique as what Zion brings, but he has the tried and true skills to be a stud. If you prefer Hayes or Bol than Bamba than that's fine too, and although I can see where Zion's unique skillset puts him above every other prospect in a draft board, I can also see where he could top out as a more athletic DeAndre Jordan type player.

Cavs may not get either...but if you actually are concerned about Zions shooting enough to take Barrett over him you probably are not seeing the same thing I'm seeing. I prefer to go with the free bee movement of Zion over the rigid technical movement of the Barrett.
Zion is the last dragon and rj is just another Harlem Shogun. :wink:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#93 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Chuma Okeke should be Cavs top target w Houston pick, unfortunately the way he is showing out lately he won't be available that late.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#94 » by gflem » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:24 am

Stillwater wrote:
Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:In that scenario I would hope they just draft Hayes or Bol.

Cavs may not get either...but if you actually are concerned about Zions shooting enough to take Barrett over him you probably are not seeing the same thing I'm seeing. I prefer to go with the free bee movement of Zion over the rigid technical movement of the Barrett.
Zion is the last dragon and rj is just another Harlem Shogun. :wink:

No doubt Zion is special. RJ is a definite 20+ pts per game SG imo. And, in my original post I suggested 2 and 5 for Atl, if it is 5 it goes to Dallas, so 2 and 6 is the best they can hope for.
For most of the season I have thought of Sexton as a poor mans Jeff Teague, but haven't said anything due to his age. I just thought it wouldn't be fair to say that, lately though he is showing more of an all around game in regards to his decision making and occasionally makes an outstanding pass or two so hopefully he is going to make improvements where he needs. If we end up at 1 I have no issue at all drafting Zion, and if not Barrett, Ja, or Reddish would be a good addition imo.
I think Reddish is going to be ok. He may not be an alpha, or not enough of one to demand the ball on a team like Duke, but he has the skills that translate to the NBA. Size, athleticism, shooting (though spotty in college) and decent defense. He just isnt assertive enough for some people, which I get, but he does seem to have a willingness to fit in which some people think is a weakness. However, look at Draymond, he wants to be the alpha but is clearly not, doesn't seem to want to fit in, and while the W's have won consistently he does seem to be a problem for them.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Post#95 » by jbk1234 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Let me put it this way, if the team with second pick overall calls, I'm taking the call. I have concerns regarding Zion and I'd think hard about taking Barrett No. 1 overall.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#96 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm

^ The only concern I might have with Zion is him not wanting to play in CLE. Unless he came out and said as much /any other concern is irrelevant as it pertains to fit etc where obviously Barrett is a better fit per say given Nance Love front court. I don't think there is any chance CLE would have enough concerns about Zions health going forward to not pick him nor would or should fit be an issue as he is a major upgrade.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#97 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 pm

If Ja goes on a deep tournament run I think he has a legit case to go #1 despite how incredibly biased everyone is towards Zion.
Probably won't happen,but I could definitely see Phoenix pulling the trigger if nobody would give up enough to trade up for Zion.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#98 » by tundraknight » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:43 am

Finally this season is almost over.

The Cavaliers have been playing much better recently with everyone getting healthy and Sexton improving.

So I just want this season to end ASAP so we don’t screw up our lottery odds.

Luckily the Cavaliers remaining 9 game schedule looks tuff.

With 6 of those 9 games being on the road.

Sun, 3/24 @ Bucks

Tue, 3/26 vs Celtics

Thu, 3/28 @ Spurs

Sat, 3/30 @ Clippers

Mon, 4/1 @ Suns

Wed, 4/4 @ Kings

Fri, 4/5 @ Warriors

Sun, 4/7 vs Spurs

Tue, 4/9 vs Hornets
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#99 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Sexton has improved all season being held back from playing his game and doing instead what he was told intentionally to improve his game and also to tank. He has been angry all year but he gets it, and now they have cut him loose to play his game and he looks like an all-star already in a lot of ways.
They will finish 4th or 5th probably.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#100 » by Revenged25 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:28 pm

^I can't wait to see this team next year. Going to be fun.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers