Deandre Ayton news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Re: WELCOME DEANDRE AYTON!!!! 

Post#1441 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Fo-Real wrote:You dont speak for everyone, I like him. Dont agree with every aspect that he argues but to say to a man NO ONE LIKES YOU is a bit anger driven, just my two cents. No need to call each other fanboys, even though I have been loudly on record saying I was sick and tired of hearing about Doncic so much on this board and the whining about our actual pick. Some go too far with the Doncic hate, I dont hate him. I love what he is doing, I hate crying about what he is doing as opposed to Ayton IN THE AYTON THREAD!!!

I haven't chimed in on many of his posts as of late, just taking in feedback and telling him how it is. Others have been spoken to as well. It isn't anger but simply a warning because it is repetitive and doesn't add anything. Those that bash Ayton by calling him turd, etc, have received their warnings as well. This thread is for analyzing Ayton as the season goes on, good or bad, without getting into personal insults against other users.

I have told people to stick to Ayton talk here and to move the Doncic thread into the Around the NBA thread, but who is talking about Doncic? This guy.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,537

Post#1442 » by Qwigglez » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeah he’s not really contributing to Ayton here, just keeps repeating how Doncic fanboys are being Doncic fanboys.
He’s attempting to stir the pot so to speak when no one is cooking.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,657

Post#1443 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Isn't the fact that the media coverage of doncic has died down proof it wasn't some vast conspiracy to pump him up? Once the Mavs fell out of relevancy like the suns have been all year the coverage cooled. That's just the way it is.

Personally I like good basketball so like watching good players. I'm not the type that feels being a fan of one guy means you can't appreciate others.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,150

Post#1444 » by bigfoot » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:24 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:You dont speak for everyone, I like him. Dont agree with every aspect that he argues but to say to a man NO ONE LIKES YOU is a bit anger driven, just my two cents. No need to call each other fanboys, even though I have been loudly on record saying I was sick and tired of hearing about Doncic so much on this board and the whining about our actual pick. Some go too far with the Doncic hate, I dont hate him. I love what he is doing, I hate crying about what he is doing as opposed to Ayton IN THE AYTON THREAD!!!

I haven't chimed in on many of his posts as of late, just taking in feedback and telling him how it is. Others have been spoken to as well. It isn't anger but simply a warning because it is repetitive and doesn't add anything. Those that bash Ayton by calling him turd, etc, have received their warnings as well. This thread is for analyzing Ayton as the season goes on, good or bad, without getting into personal insults against other users.

I have told people to stick to Ayton talk here and to move the Doncic thread into the Doncic thread, but who is talking about Doncic? This guy.

I don't view calling Ayton a turd a warn-able offense. Hell there has been way worse names for Deandre I've seen thrown out there by others. If warnings and suspensions are going to be passed out anytime any Suns player is described using a derogatory term then this board would be vacant. The mods are going to need to give the board some clarity here.

I'll gladly accept a warning for calling a poster a turd or a cherry picker, which I have done. Still hardly equivalent to calling a poster a c*cksucker. Not sure what our mods consider more egregious.

As far as this whole Doncic nonsense goes I've kept it in the "Around the NBA" thread as requested and it's been minimal at best. Somehow the Doncic-hype seems to follow Swingman where ever he posts.

Don't expect a free pass for Ayton though. He was the number one pick and expectations are high, as they should be. If he reverts to his season norm of being passive, looking lost, playing crappy defense, I'll be the first to point it out. His play during this winning streak has been much better and most likely attributable to the Oubre and Johnson getting in his ear. I think he had tuned out Booker for a good chuck of the season.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,043

Post#1445 » by bwgood77 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:27 pm

bigfoot wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

I have told people to stick to Ayton talk here and to move the Doncic thread into the Doncic thread, but who is talking about Doncic? This guy.

I don't view calling Ayton a turd a warn-able offense. Hell there has been way worse names for Deandre I've seen thrown out there by others. If warnings and suspensions are going to be passed out anytime any Suns player is described using a derogatory term then this board would be vacant. The mods are going to need to give the board some clarity here.

I'll gladly accept a warning for calling a poster a turd or a cherry picker, which I have done. Still hardly equivalent to calling a poster a c*cksucker. Not sure what our mods consider more egregious.

As far as this whole Doncic nonsense goes I've kept it in the "Around the NBA" thread as requested and it's been minimal at best. Somehow the Doncic-hype seems to follow Swingman where ever he posts.

Don't expect a free pass for Ayton though. He was the number one pick and expectations are high, as they should be. If he reverts to his season norm of being passive, looking lost, playing crappy defense, I'll be the first to point it out. His play during this winning streak has been much better and most likely attributable to the Oubre and Johnson getting in his ear. I think he had tuned out Booker for a good chuck of the season.

You didn't get an official documented warning for that, but I can see people viewing it as trolling, when it was a long time constant in multiple threads. Your warnings have been for personal attacks.

I was more talking about mentioning in threads and titles to try to keep the Doncic talk in the Around the NBA thread. You were calling Ayton a worthless turd in the Bridges thread, and I know we get off topic on occasion discussing other players in player threads, but mentioning that Bridges is the future and Ayton is a worthless turd out of the blue in that thread isn't really productive or adding discussion topics that people are likely want to discuss and all it does is create back and forth dumb arguments.

The Suns have a good thing going on right now in the last handful of games. There is a lot to be positive about. All this other stuff gets tiring. I don't really want to be spending my time dealing or talking to grown men calling people fanboys, butthurt, worthless turds, cocksuckers, or whatever else. I doubt many others enjoy reading it either.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,502

Post#1446 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:28 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Isn't the fact that the media coverage of doncic has died down proof it wasn't some vast conspiracy to pump him up? Once the Mavs fell out of relevancy like the suns have been all year the coverage cooled. That's just the way it is.

Personally I like good basketball so like watching good players. I'm not the type that feels being a fan of one guy means you can't appreciate others.

+1

Exactly. The NBA are giving time to relevant players/teams. It's why GSW get a ton of national screen time while the Suns gets barely any. It isn't because there's a conspiracy to pump up the Dubs, they don't need it.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SwingMan1938
Junior
And1: 246

Post#1447 » by SwingMan1938 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 am

bwgood77 wrote:
SwingMan1938 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:And what you keep missing is that the vast majority fans who criticize Ayton's effort, play and impact are actually pro-Ayton not Luka fanboys. Likewise you can be a fan of Luka, Young, JJJr or any other player in the league without being anti-Ayton

The NBA have gone silent because the Mavs aren't relevant anymore. They are no longer realistically in the playoff race and some have argued that they are tanking. The NBA isn't about being 'fair' media cover, they are about getting the people the content they want to see. If it's about fair then Tony Snell would have as many highlight reels as Steph Curry.

You might have something there - if bigfoot wasn't a Luka Doncic fanboy. :lol:

Point taken, sure - but don't act like the dude isn't sucking Doncic dry in the meantime.....

Time to cut this baiting and trolling crap out that is nonstop childish posting if you want to stick around. You are adding zilch to the forum and it's clear very few enjoy reading your posts.

And just what do you add that isn't playing meaningless devil's advocate and threats? As if I'm the one stirring s#!t.

I respond in kind and I don't do f**king ultimatums - if you're gonna ban me, do it already.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,631

Post#1448 » by Saberestar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:03 pm

Read on Twitter
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#1449 » by Crives » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ayton was talking with Book for a while at the end of the game. Looked like a positive conversation. Hopefully we see a big rebound on Friday. Ayton will get 2x opportunities to redeem himself against Gobert this season.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1450 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ayton was talking with Book for a while at the end of the game. Looked like a positive conversation. Hopefully we see a big rebound on Friday. Ayton will get 2x opportunities to redeem himself against Gobert this season.
Just for the hell of it I'd let Ayton launch some 3s next time they play Utah. Getting gobert out there is really the best way to try and go at him.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Crives
General Manager

Post#1451 » by Crives » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:57 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Just for the hell of it I'd let Ayton launch some 3s next time they play Utah. Getting gobert out there is really the best way to try and go at him.

Good point but I would prefer to see Ayton bully Gobert inside and show he can hang. If I remember correctly Ayton had some really good redemption games against players like LA/Jokic earlier in the season.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#1452 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:13 pm

Crives wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Crives wrote:

Good point but I would prefer to see Ayton bully Gobert inside and show he can hang. If I remember correctly Ayton had some really good redemption games against players like LA/Jokic earlier in the season.
The problem is gobert is a smart defender who is good at positioning and is still a problem if you try to bully him. But the biggest problem with that approach is it doesn't help the rest of the O as much as luring him out of the paint. Ayton making guys respect him from 3 is more about helping open up the lane for others than his own scoring.

If you look at how the good teams play against these big defensive C's it's almost always going small and trying to run and space them off the floor. But this does come with the risk of them taking advantage of you trying to guard them with a small guy on the other end. Where a guy like Ayton can really be an advantage is if he can accomplish pulling them out on O but still provide the size and D on the other end, it's the best of both worlds.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,502

Post#1453 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:53 pm

He needs to be able to put the ball on the floor. I'm not sure if it is something he can be super confident with in just a single offseason though. It's clear he's getting touches, a reasonable amount of them, the problem is that he can't do anything with it unless he's deep in the paint or his mid-range shot is falling. Ayton has the speed to blow by most big men (including Gobert) but he doesn't have the skill to put the ball on the floor.

If you watch where rookie Embiid and KAT gets the ball, they are virtually the same spots Ayton gets it. High elbow and or near the paint.

The difference is that they had the threat of putting the ball on the floor. Ayton doesn't have that at all. When Ayton gets the high elbow touches, you just need to run at him with your hands up because he's not going to put the ball on the floor to blow by you. He already has some nice spin moves and has a very soft touch around the rim. He just needs to gain his defender's respect when he has the ball in his hands and he's not in the post. I think that's way more important than the 3PT shot although 3PT range is arguably easier to get competent in
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
dremill24
Analyst
And1: 2,385

Post#1454 » by dremill24 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 am

He’s got some things to work on, but as a rookie he’s not gonna be a finished product. I think that he and the coaching staff and his teammates can do a better job of deliberately taking advantage of the skills he already has though.

Shaq (though I’m sure he’s not the only one that did) used to talk about breaking it down into little manufactured pieces each quarter that would get him his 25-ish points (e.g., 2 FTs, one putback, 2 post ups, etc per quarter). Maybe breaking it down similarly for Ayton and the team helps make it a more conscious habit of good practices.

It should be a (subject to major discipline) rule for the team that every time (usually coming down after a stop) he has anybody other than the opponent’s starting center on him, he needs to park his ass in the guy’s lap and get position under the basket. These are easy buckets for him if he puts in the effort. But also his teammates need to get him the ball there. I think this is an easy switch to flip and would hopefully help keep him engaged and get the team more easy baskets.

He can get a bucket per quarter doing that, one off a PnR, one trip to the FT line, and maybe a jumper per half. That’s an easy 20pts and does a better job of taking advantage of him being on the court, especially while he’s not really adding anything on the defensive end. It gets high percentage shots and theoretically warps the defense a bit.
Frank Lee
RealGM
And1: 9,092

Post#1455 » by Frank Lee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:59 am

unfinished product he is.

He needs that elbow J to be a money shot. He goes up, its pretty much unblockable. Against Gobert.... he was just shooting so fast with every opportunity. He'll learn.
What ? Me Worry ?
sunsbum
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,641

Post#1456 » by sunsbum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:42 am

Its crazy to think Ayton can actually get better.
Flex is now your father.
Crives
General Manager

Post#1457 » by Crives » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:03 am

Aytons durability this season has been really impessive (knocks on wood).
Many of the athletic big taken high in the draft have been plagued with injuries (Bagley,JJJ,Bamba,Noel,Okafor,Embiid,Oden)
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,336

Post#1458 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:55 pm

"Just keep doin your thing," he said; "say no more". -Jay-Z

‘Rookie Midterms’: Deandre Ayton and the Perils of Being the No. 1 Pick

In the latest of edition of our video series on the NBA’s freshmen, we look at Phoenix Suns center Deandre Ayton—an old-school big man trying to find his footing in a new-school pace-and-space game

Despite Deandre Ayton being the first pick in the 2018 NBA draft, the discourse around the Suns center has been shockingly quiet. The Luka-Trae trade owned draft night, and that pair, with their highlight-heavy games, has sucked up most of the spotlight allotted to rookies this season.

Meanwhile, Ayton has just been doing his thing out in the desert.
The Ringer
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#1459 » by Bogyo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:21 pm

^^That is spot on!!!
Crives
General Manager

Post#1460 » by Crives » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:46 am