De'Andre Hunter

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,553

Re: De'Andre Hunter 

Post#41 » by MemphisX » Sun Mar 3, 2019 9:32 pm

clyde21 wrote:i am a pretty strong in at this point on Hunter w/e his comp might be. NBA level body, two-way player, strong fundementals, great set shot, good baseline of functional athleticism, has a high floor but still a decently high ceiling as well. he'll look even better in the NBA with more transitions op and even more room to attack the rim.

and the guy is just posting obscene metrics...+42 Net Rating, 12.6 BPM, 27 PER, 64 TS%.

really only trepidation is that he is junior age but if this guy was a year younger would he make it out of the top 10 in any draft?

I still worry about the low steals and blocks.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#42 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:02 pm

MemphisX wrote:
clyde21 wrote:i am a pretty strong in at this point on Hunter w/e his comp might be. NBA level body, two-way player, strong fundementals, great set shot, good baseline of functional athleticism, has a high floor but still a decently high ceiling as well. he'll look even better in the NBA with more transitions op and even more room to attack the rim.

and the guy is just posting obscene metrics...+42 Net Rating, 12.6 BPM, 27 PER, 64 TS%.

really only trepidation is that he is junior age but if this guy was a year younger would he make it out of the top 10 in any draft?

yeah, he's more of an on-ball defender at this point vs. a good team/help guy...but that also plays into his potential on that end IMO. once he gets better at recognition, switching and using his length he'll be an above average help defender at the very least.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#43 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:11 pm

Fischella wrote:He is more DeMarre Carroll than Otto Porter

I someone who watched most of the Hawks games with him, Hunter ceiling and his floor is just much higher. Hunter is already a 3. DMC had to grow into it.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#44 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 3, 2019 10:12 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MemphisX wrote:

yeah, he's more of an on-ball defender at this point vs. a good team/help guy...but that also plays into his potential on that end IMO. once he gets better at recognition, switching and using his length he'll be an above average help defender at the very least.

I disagree, he is more special defending in space than on the ball. He just isn't a risk taker at all. UVa system is v. that.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#45 » by juanc » Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:08 pm

I need to ask.. Why is Cam Reddish considered a better prospect than Hunter?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#46 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:14 pm

juanc wrote:I need to ask.. Why is Cam Reddish considered a better prospect than Hunter?

i don't think he is at this point until I see a bit more nuance and aggression from him offensively but it's potential based. Cam's a better playmaker from the wing and a couple of years younger, and is probably already just as good of a defender.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#47 » by juanc » Tue Mar 5, 2019 6:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:
juanc wrote:I need to ask.. Why is Cam Reddish considered a better prospect than Hunter?

i don't think he is at this point until I see a bit more nuance and aggression from him offensively but it's potential based. Cam's a better playmaker from the wing and a couple of years younger, and is probably already just as good of a defender.

I would really love to see him nextto Luka in Dallas(If they jumpto 4th pick). I think he is a great fit. Or I would also like him on the Suns.Hunter and Bridges would be great together.

Since I'm from europe I don't get to see many games, but in the few games I saw from him, I was impressed. He is just a smart player, and he doesn't force things. Add a great frame and a nice shot to that. Call me crazy, but I see some Kawahi in him.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#48 » by Coeur » Tue Mar 5, 2019 11:24 pm

I like hunter. For his sake hopefully he stays as far away from rui and Clarke in the tourney
clyde21
RealGM

Post#49 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 6, 2019 12:03 am

Hunter is now shooting almost 49% from 3 for the year
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#50 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:53 pm

The apex of his jumper is insane, it’s like Durant, it’ll be hard to stop at the next level.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

I’m pretty sure Hunter is the second best player in the draft.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,448

Post#52 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Who's the better prospect, Hunter or Culver?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
clyde21
RealGM

Post#53 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:55 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Who's the better prospect, Hunter or Culver?

Hunter
clyde21
RealGM

Post#54 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:09 pm

aside from playmaking, Hunter literally has everything you look for in a modern day wing. dude is as close of an elite prospect as you can get to other than the aforementioned playmaking and age.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Pretty much
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#56 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:31 pm

What is the major difference between him and Kawhi leaving San Diego? Very similar size, length and athleticism. Both elite defenders (Kawhi better at getting steals) with moldable offensive games because both are such high IQ players. Kawhi had the edge with steals and rebounds, Hunter with the big edge in jumper.

Not saying he's Kawhi 2.0 because it's impossible to predict a progression curve equal to Kawhi's. Just saying leaving college, they look like pretty similar players.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:What is the major difference between him and Kawhi leaving San Diego? Very similar size, length and athleticism. Both elite defenders (Kawhi better at getting steals) with moldable offensive games because both are such high IQ players. Kawhi had the edge with steals and rebounds, Hunter with the big edge in jumper.

Not saying he's Kawhi 2.0 because it's impossible to predict a progression curve equal to Kawhi's. Just saying leaving college, they look like pretty similar players.

Kawhi is an obvious analogue, but even then, Hunter is more advanced as a scorer today than what Kawhi was early in his career.

but yeah, that sort of development we saw from Kawhi is impossible to predict.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:What is the major difference between him and Kawhi leaving San Diego? Very similar size, length and athleticism. Both elite defenders (Kawhi better at getting steals) with moldable offensive games because both are such high IQ players. Kawhi had the edge with steals and rebounds, Hunter with the big edge in jumper.

I would say discipline and IQ. Hunter is a good defender, but Kawhi can defend every position, Hunter won’t be able to. At the same time Hunter can probably defend bigger players better in his prime. Kawhi just moves around the court like a guard while Hunter moves more like a forward. Kawhi also has super quick hands, something Hunter doesn’t have. I don’t see them as similar. Closer to OG Anunoby than Kawhi, but obviously he’s much better than Anunoby offensively. Back to Discipline and IQ, Kawhi has a unique kind of discipline for the game, it’s why he looks like a machine when he plays. And Hunter just isn’t a read and react kind of guy. He can play within the offense (that’s what they do at Virginia), but if someone unaccounted for comes he has a hard time adjusting. I think that’ll come with experience though.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#59 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Kawhi is an obvious analogue, but even then, Hunter is more advanced as a scorer today than what Kawhi was early in his career.

but yeah, that sort of development we saw from Kawhi is impossible to predict.

Ya, Kawhi the more aggressive defender while Hunter the more efficient scorer. And ya the development from Kawhi is just crazy and you would be crazy to try and predict that from anyone.

But I really do think Hunter as a prospect has been sleeping on a lot, and I think a big reason for that is playing at UVA and the snails pace they play at. His per 100 offensive stats paints the picture as a pretty elite offensive player, to go along with being an elite defender. Hunter won ACC DPOY this year over a stacked field which included guys like Tre Jones and Zion.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:56 pm

And just a little comparison for his stats compared to RJ.

RJ: per 100 conference:
35/11/6 with 5 turnovers on 45/32/68 shooting splits (54 TS%)

Hunter's per 100 conference:
31/11/4 with 3 turnovers on 53/50/76 shooting splits (63 TS%)

A little deeper dive in the numbers

RJ:
39% of his shots come at the rim
63% finisher at the rim
36% of his shots at the rim are assisted on

27% of his shots are 2pt jumpers
38% shooter on those shots
24% of these shots are assisted on

Hunter:
38% of his shots come at the rim
68% finisher at the rim
29% of his shots at the rim are assisted on

37% of his shots are 2pr jumpers
42% shooter on those shots
34% of these shots are assisted on

For a guy that gets put into the box of a guy that can't create his own shot. He actually attacks the basket at the same rate as RJ, while being assisted on even less and finishing better at the rim.

Return to NBA Draft