Charles Bassey

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Charles Bassey 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:01 pm

I thought he had a thread, but couldn’t find one. He deserves one because IMO he’s the most underrated player in this draft and should be a top 10 pick.

I was reading something about him from Sports Illustrated, where they have him drafted in the 40s and it’s just completely wrong. It’s like no one watches his games. His criticisms are the same Bobby Portis used to get and he’s much better than Bobby Portis was/is. They say he’s too average and that he might be a back up, that’s bull. He can grip the ball with either hand, has advanced footwork in the post, good jumper/midrange, attacks the basket with contact, draws fouls, good feel for the game and passer, he’s athletic, and if you watch him actually play and then watch an NBA game you’ll see he runs just as good as any other starting center.

The space/not playing with a good point guard is also obviously hurting him, just like what happened with Jarrett Allen. It’s ridiculous that this is happening again, he’s 6’11 with a big wingspan, he’s already 245lbs. It’s ridiculous that I even have to bring this up, but it’s a crime how everyone is belittling him.

What are your thoughts?
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Charles Bassey 

Post#2 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:20 pm

If he can lead his team to the C-USA championship and get some run against legit nba prospects in the big dance,his stock will go up. Right now he is a late first floor type despite the obvious skill set that could prove to be a steal if his production is transferable to the next level. I think his ceiling in the draft is late lottery if he impresses in workouts and at the combine.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,198

Post#3 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:26 pm

Are you envisioning WCJ without the passing? Not sure I see that. I'm also very skeptical of his age, being that he's born in Lagos. He might already be 20 for all we know.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:39 pm

EvanZ wrote:Are you envisioning WCJ without the passing? Not sure I see that. I'm also very skeptical of his age, being that he's born in Lagos. He might already be 20 for all we know.

He has better hands than Carter, but Carter has a softer touch. I see more of a Brook Lopez. The Lagos thing makes sense, he could be older. I’d rather not assume and take him for what we know him as personally.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:41 pm

Stillwater wrote:If he can lead his team to the C-USA championship and get some run against legit nba prospects in the big dance,his stock will go up. Right now he is a late first floor type despite the obvious skill set that could prove to be a steal if his production is transferable to the next level. I think his ceiling in the draft is late lottery if he impresses in workouts and at the combine.

That’s the thing, his team is holding him back. He’s not able to do a lot of the things he will be able to do in the NBA. I guarantee he’ll rise after the season, during scrimmages and the predraft process.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#6 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:06 pm

EvanZ wrote:Are you envisioning WCJ without the passing? Not sure I see that. I'm also very skeptical of his age, being that he's born in Lagos. He might already be 20 for all we know.

Lagos isn't known for lying about their age in Basketball. That's for soccer
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#7 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:22 pm

King Ken wrote:

From what I understand it's more about the population in general, something like just 30% of people born there get birth certificates. At least, that's what I have heard. Okogie is from Lagos, and I had the same thought last year that he could be older than we think.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#8 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:12 pm

I hope you’re right. There’s a giant hole in this draft at the center position. Only bolbol hurt
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 pm

I should also mention hes been getting double teamed all year
King Ken
General Manager

Post#10 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:

From what I understand it's more about the population in general, something like just 30% of people born there get birth certificates. At least, that's what I have heard. Okogie is from Lagos, and I had the same thought last year that he could be older than we think.

I know his brother personally(Okogie), he was a good friend and came from decent money and he is now a dentist. Please do not use general data for a different class of people where class and family does matter in Nigeria. Bassey from what I've heard came from a good family. They had money. Those people live a good life and yes, they all have birth certificates. :nonono: He wasn't here for Basketball. He was here for education.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:58 pm

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:Lagos isn't known for lying about their age in Basketball. That's for soccer

I know his brother personally, he was a good friend and came from money and he is now a dentist. Please do not use general data for a different class of people where class and family does matter in Nigeria. Bassey from what I've heard came from a good family. They had money. Those people live a good life and yes, they all have birth certificates. :nonono: He wasn't here for Basketball. He was here for education.

Most players come from good families. It’s expensive to take care of your body, to travel to play basketball, to pay for basketball services, etc.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#12 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:13 pm

King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:Lagos isn't known for lying about their age in Basketball. That's for soccer

I know his brother personally(Okogie), he was a good friend and came from decent money and he is now a dentist. Please do not use general data for a different class of people where class and family does matter in Nigeria. Bassey from what I've heard came from a good family. They had money. Those people live a good life and yes, they all have birth certificates. :nonono: He wasn't here for Basketball. He was here for education.

We all hear things. That's good for you to have some inside info. Can't really blame me for being uncertain when I lack information. That's literally the definition of uncertainty.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#13 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:18 pm

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

We all hear things. That's good for you to have some inside info. Can't really blame me for being uncertain when I lack information. That's literally the definition of uncertainty.

If his brother was 19-21 when I knew him and Josh must have been about 3 years old. He is basically American.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#14 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

I think he will be good and I believe in his jumper.

Kind of reminds me of Robin Lopez
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#15 » by kobyz » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:05 am

I see shades of Alonzo mourning
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 am

kobyz wrote:I see shades of Alonzo mourning

Oh my :lol:
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by doordoor123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Fischella wrote:
kobyz wrote:I see shades of Alonzo mourning

Oh my :lol:

Yeah... Mourning was a really fluid center, like if we saw him today we would be talking about him as a generational center, like Embiid.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#18 » by Buzzard » Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:21 pm

Bassey is another sleeper, besides Bruno, I expect the Hawks to look hard at if we end up with the Mavs pick.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams

Return to NBA Draft