2018-2019 SEASON SPURS NEWS

Moderator: G R E Y

DROB27
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,119

Re: 2018-2019 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#61 » by DROB27 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Ballings7 wrote:Would love to see SA get Stanley Johnson -- I know there have been rumblings and feelers put out there the last 2-3 years about him for SA, and if there's truly one team where he'd do well, its the Spurs... I've said it earlier this season in the past, as well, but he should be a good fit here

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252327/Spurs-Interested-In-Trading-For-Wing

Young
Mobile, athletic, strong, tough
Inconsistent at best shooter, but has shown flashes of being a competent threat from three

I believe his game inside would even be refined and improved here, wouldn't necessarily get things designed up him down low or any real consistent touches, but he certainly has the potential and capability to be a problem in the post.

Really reminds me of Artest as far as his size and hustle on both ends, just being a presence, but more agile and normal mentally..

Aside from not being a solid shooter coming in, he's basically perfect for what this team lacks this year in any real decent capacity as far as big wing that can defend multiple positions, bring toughness, and more athleticism, every night... not to discredit Rudy Gay's defensive effort and ability in that role on defense, Rudy's done well defensively and has impressed me, but Johnson is going to be more well-rounded as far as the individual impact factor, and have less energy offensively to expense, than Rudy.

I fully believe his shot would not be an issue after some time with the team, and a full summer. Its not like he can't shoot a lick, as say Tony Allen, he can knock 2 or 3 down, but not with decent regularity yet.

I'm going to predict he is brought in at some point this season -- get it done, PATFO

Who would we trade tho ? Forbes ? Pau ? We definitely do need a wing
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#62 » by SD2042 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 am

DROB27 wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:Would love to see SA get Stanley Johnson -- I know there have been rumblings and feelers put out there the last 2-3 years about him for SA, and if there's truly one team where he'd do well, its the Spurs... I've said it earlier this season in the past, as well, but he should be a good fit here

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/252327/Spurs-Interested-In-Trading-For-Wing

Young
Inconsistent at best shooter, but has shown flashes of being a competent threat from three

I believe his game inside would even be refined and improved here, wouldn't necessarily get things designed up him down low or any real consistent touches, but he certainly has the potential and capability to be a problem in the post.

Really reminds me of Artest as far as his size and hustle on both ends, just being a presence, but more agile and normal mentally..

Aside from not being a solid shooter coming in, he's basically perfect for what this team lacks this year in any real decent capacity as far as big wing that can defend multiple positions, bring toughness, and more athleticism, every night... not to discredit Rudy Gay's defensive effort and ability in that role on defense, Rudy's done well defensively and has impressed me, but Johnson is going to be more well-rounded as far as the individual impact factor, and have less energy offensively to expense, than Rudy.

I fully believe his shot would not be an issue after some time with the team, and a full summer. Its not like he can't shoot a lick, as say Tony Allen, he can knock 2 or 3 down, but not with decent regularity yet.

I'm going to predict he is brought in at some point this season -- get it done, PATFO

SJ's name has been linked to the Spurs for the last two seasons. Defensively he's solid, but I wonder if his offense will ever come to fruition. Being under two coaches in SVG and now Casey, his offense hasn't improve all that much. To me, I think it could be someone else to consider if I'm the Spurs.

DeAndre Bembey
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,349

Post#63 » by G R E Y » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:37 pm

A very Happy Birthday to Pop! A toast to our GOAT coach and from reported accounts a kind mellow all around nice guy:
Read on Twitter

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/1/28/18157948/happy-birthday-san-antonio-spurs-head-coach-gregg-popovich

Many joy-filled, healthy, successful more!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,470

Post#64 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:50 am

DROB27 wrote:

Young

Ideally Cunningham or Pondexter with a 2nd rounder or something if needed, who I both like, but Johnson would be better to have than either..

Worst case, yeah Forbes...
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#65 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:52 am

SD2042 wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

Young

SJ's name has been linked to the Spurs for the last two seasons. Defensively he's solid, but I wonder if his offense will ever come to fruition. Being under two coaches in SVG and now Casey, his offense hasn't improve all that much. To me, I think it could be someone else to consider if I'm the Spurs.

DeAndre Bembey
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren

I wouldn't mind any of those three, they'd definitely boost the offense and rebounding and give more size at SF.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#66 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:16 am

Ballings7 wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
DROB27 wrote:

DeAndre Bembry
DeMarre Carroll
T.J. Warren

I wouldn't mind any of those three, they'd definitely boost the offense and rebounding and give more size at SF.

Carroll would give you the 3&D on his expiring

Bembry would give you the hustle play, defense, and occasional three point shooting as he tends to be inconsistent in that area. Plus he has two years left on his rookie deal.

Warren has the better offense of the three as he's a proven scoring threat from mid-range and improving on the perimeter. A boost the Spurs could utilize. Not sure how Warren is as a defender as I do not get to see a lot of Suns games. Warren is on a good bargain contract, however it's on a 3 year deal. I don't know how the Spurs would approach that situation if they were to go after Warren from this aspect.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#67 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 1, 2019 6:45 am

Holy moly I still always get a bit of a stomach flutter when I see pictures like this. Wonderful. Timmy!:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#68 » by G R E Y » Fri Feb 8, 2019 3:18 am

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#69 » by G R E Y » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:41 am

Popovich tabbed for induction into Air Force Athletics Hall of Fame
Spurs coach Gregg Popovich will headline the Air Force Academy's Athletics Hall of Fame Class of 2019, the school announced Wednesday.

The induction ceremony for the seventh class to enter the hall will take place at 6:30 p.m. May 4 at the Academy's Arnold Hall Ballroom.

An Air Force spokesman said Popovich plans to be in attendance, the Colorado Springs Gazette reported.

A 1970 graduate of the Colorado Springs school, Popovich was a two-year basketball letterman and served as team captain of the Falcons his senior season, when he led the team in scoring. He later returned to the school as an assistant coach for six seasons.

Popovich, who has led the Spurs to five NBA titles and is third in career wins among the league's coaches, ranks third in Air Force history in career field goal percentage with a 54.1 mark.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Popovich-tabbed-for-induction-into-Air-Force-13615419.php
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#70 » by G R E Y » Sat Mar 2, 2019 7:06 am

Rudy tweeted the full video detailing Quincy's remarkable come back and the resilience it took to get here. The silver and black lining after all he went through is that he's always wanted to play for the Spurs and here we are. A wonderful story of faith, perseverance, and things working out as they were meant to as a result. Worth every minute of viewing time:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#71 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 6, 2019 6:12 pm

Well this is interesting:
Read on Twitter

San Antonio Spurs to Host Interactive Lounge at SXSW 2019
Spurs Lapel Pin will be Part of First-Ever SXSW Good Trill Hunting Scavenger Hunt from Pintrill
The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they will host for the first time ever an interactive lounge at SXSW 2019, an annual conglomerate of film, interactive media, and music festivals and conferences. The immersive Spurs Lounge will be open to all festival guests from March 8-10 at the JW Marriott located at 110 E 2nd St. in Austin.

Fans attending SXSW will have the opportunity to score exclusive giveaways via the Spurs engagement wall including team-branded Field Notes booklets, stickers, keychains, Spurs KODI tumblers from H-E-B and more. Attendees will also be able to show off their NBA Jam skills at the lounge arcade and take photos with the 180-degree camera. Fans can participate and share their experience on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #SXSpurs.

Fans can also snag the Spurs lapel pin during Good Trill Hunting as Brooklyn-based pin accessory and lifestyle brand Pintrill brings its popular scavenger hunt experience to the festival for the first time ever. Beginning March 8, festival goers can pick up the official Good Trill Hunting map with the names and locations of participating brands with free, limited-edition pins.

On Saturday, March 9 at 5 p.m. Spurs President of Sports Franchises R.C. Buford will participate in a panel on The Future of Basketball alongside Becky Bonner, Orlando Magic Director of Player Development and Quality Control; Chris Bosh, CEO of CB1 Enterprises and 11-time NBA All-Star; and Kirk Goldsberry, ESPN NBA Analyst. Fans with Music, Platinum, Film, and Interactive Badges can access the discussion in Salons 1-2 at the JW Marriott.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/san-antonio-spurs-host-interactive-lounge-sxsw-2019
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#72 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:03 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#73 » by G R E Y » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Derrick White Basketball Academy
Former CU Basketball Standout and current NBA Player announces his association with a local youth basketball development program -- Nothing But Net (NBN). NBN is run by Marcus Mason, former NCAA Division 1 basketball player and coach. NBN is dedicated to developing Colorado youth basketball players by focusing on developing fundamental skills through camps and team play.

Derrick is a home grown talent (Legend High School), an All-American at University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, a first-team all PAC 12 player at CU - Boulder, and now a budding star in the NBA for the San Antonio Spurs. He wants Colorado to become a hotbed for top college basketball talent and has developed a series of camps with NBN to aid in developing youth basketball talent. This Academy will occur on June 24-27 at the Parker Field House and you can register at www.parkerrec.com.

The academy consists of fundamentals that focus on dribbling, passing, defense, speed, agility and shooting. Coaches will develop these players' ability to play in a team structure while having fun with individual and team games. This Academy will be filled with excitement in the air, there will be tons of giveaways for our campers and a excellent elite coaching staff has been assembly to put on one of the best camps in the state. Whats different about this Academy than other Basketball Camps; Campers will participate daily with Derrick, In his first annual Chalk Talk with DWhite, The Spurs have provided video for this daily Chalk Talk with Derrick.

https://mailchi.mp/b2033dc6494e/derrick-white-and-chauncey-billups-headline-nbn-summer-camps
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#74 » by G R E Y » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Team photos. Wonderful to see the positive vibes team-wide:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#75 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#76 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 pm

SPURS AND USAA TO HONOR ACTIVE DUTY AND RETIRED SERVICEMEMBERS DURING MARCH 20 MILITARY APPRECIATION NIGHT GAME
The San Antonio Spurs and USAA will join forces once again to honor active duty and retired servicemembers on Wednesday, March 20 when the Silver and Black host the Miami Heat in Military City USA. Tipoff at the AT&T Center is set for 7:30 p.m.

During Military Appreciation Night and select games throughout the season, all military, veterans, and government employees save up to 40 percent off tickets at Spurs.com/salute through the team’s partnership with USAA – the official military appreciation partner of the San Antonio Spurs for the past nine seasons. Those with a military ID can also receive discounted parking in Lot 7 and 15% off on merchandise at the Spurs Fan Shop during the game on March 20. A USAA table at Section 124 on the Plaza Level concourse will offer a limited-edition Spurs water bottle to the first 700 fans with a military ID.

Military heroes will be celebrated throughout the game on March 20, and tickets from Spurs Season Ticket Members, staff, and corporate partners were donated to military members and their families, including servicemembers and guests from the Center for the Intrepid (CFI). The group will be treated to a premium experience at the AT&T Center, including dinner at the Terrace Restaurant prior to the game. CFI provides rehabilitation and treatment for amputees and burn victims at the San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC) at nearby JBSA Ft. Sam Houston.

The US Air Force Rappel Team will descend from the rafters with the American flag prior the game, holding the flag aloft above the court as Navy Counselor 1st Class Steven Comacho sings the national anthem. Members of the US Army Institute of Surgical Research will also hold a court-sized American flag, stretched across the floor during the anthem. A special enlistment ceremony will take place during halftime as recruits are sworn in to the United States Armed Forces.

The Spurs Concert Series will cap off the night as Jaime Wyatt plays a live set in the Bud Light Courtyard after the game. Los Angeles-based Wyatt brings a midcentury rock touch to her country and soul anthems. The concert will be free to any fan with a ticket to the game.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-and-usaa-honor-active-duty-and-retired-servicemembers-during-march-20-military
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#77 » by G R E Y » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Prior to the game against the Heat, USAA’s Military Training Camp will give 50 military members from local bases the chance to train like the Spurs on Thursday, March 14 at the AT&T Center. The group will run practice drills and participate in a scrimmage led by Spurs assistant coaches Will Hardy and Ime Udoka before meeting with Spurs guard Derrick White. On Feb. 28 Spurs guard Dejounte Murray met with local Navy personnel and toured the Navy Medicine Training Support Center (NMTSC) at JBSA Ft. Sam Houston. In January, USAA, the Spurs and Spurs fans teamed up with Operation Gratitude to assemble care packages for deployed members of the armed forces.

https://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs-and-usaa-honor-active-duty-and-retired-servicemembers-during-march-20-military
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#78 » by Ballings7 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:54 pm

Nice feature and analysis on Derrick White, #8:

"It's tempting to say White plays at his own pace, but we usually attach that phrasing to slower guys. White is explosive in tight spaces. He's good slow and fast. He plays at whatever pace serves him."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26262545/ten-things-like-including-towns-absurd-scoring
Ballings7
RealGM

Post#79 » by Ballings7 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:46 pm

More Derrick White goodness, and Spurs (second) turn around:

Derrick White:

"San Antonio's defensive slide coincided with the absence of point guard Derrick White, a first-year starter and a revelation on defense. The 24-year-old missed six of San Antonio's eight games on the rodeo trip. The Spurs captured victories in eight of 11 outings since the return of White, who ranked fifth among guards in defended field goal attempts per game with a minimum 50 games played. And of the 30 guards to defend at least 10 shots per game, White ranks fourth in opponent field goal percentage allowed, according to NBA advanced stats."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26253673/san-antonio-western-conference-climb-spurred-defensive-turnaround

Legler breaks down Spurs tough play against GS, good stuff:

Man I wish Murray didn't get hurt...
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#80 » by G R E Y » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way