ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Nationals Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Re: The Washington Nationals Thread 

Post#381 » by Wizardspride » Sun Jan 6, 2019 1:47 am

Dark Faze wrote:i wouldn't go over 300 million, transition that money from Bryce to others, along with our young outfield and we can win some games

starting to cut guys because of Bryce's contract when we couldn't win with him on a cheap deal would be a mistake

Well sounds like they've gone over 300m.

It's not an issue if the Lerners are willing to spend the money to keep the team together.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#382 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#384 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 am

In Rizzo we trust
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#385 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 5, 2019 10:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#386 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 5, 2019 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#387 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 9, 2019 4:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#388 » by Ruzious » Sat Mar 9, 2019 9:49 am

Philly looks a LOT better with both Harper and Realmuto added to that lineup. I lost respect for Harper for signing with a division rival - after the Nats fans supported him so much - and now have to watch him play the Nats for 19 games. And it sounds like the Nats offered more per year than Philly signed him for. Seems odd that he'd want to play in Philly. I'm not a Nats fan, but I'll root for them over Philly. And hopefully Robles puts up great numbers. We know Soto can.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 359

Post#389 » by Benjammin » Sat Mar 9, 2019 1:47 pm

It's been reported that the offer from the Nationals contained a lot of deferred money which reduced the present value of their offer. Considering how long he waited, I believe Harper did not want to play for the Phillies, all things being equal, but ultimately they offered the best contract so he took it. Supposedly the offer from the Giants was impacted by the effect of high state taxes in California.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#390 » by Wizardspride » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#391 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Now, OF depth looks like an issue, but I still think their starting OF is as good as last year - even without Harper.

NL East might be the best division in baseball - with improvement by Philly and NYM. Braves failed to improve except if Donaldson stays healthy - surprised they didn't get an OFer or a closer. I'd rate the Nats as the NL East favorites.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#392 » by Wizardspride » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:36 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#393 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Soto's a freak, and you could make a case that he's the most valuable property in baseball considering how long it'll take for him to be eligible for free agency. I'd even rate him above Acuna, because he's got a better feel for the strike zone. Thing is - Robles was rated a top 3 prospect in baseball (still is top 10), and Soto shot wayyy ahead of him even though he's a year and a half younger. Crazy.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,916

Post#394 » by DCZards » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:Soto's a freak, and you could make a case that he's the most valuable property in baseball considering how long it'll take for him to be eligible for free agency. I'd even rate him above Acuna, because he's got a better feel for the strike zone. Thing is - Robles was rated a top 3 prospect in baseball (still is top 10), and Soto shot wayyy ahead of him even though he's a year and a half younger. Crazy.

Agree on Soto...but I believe Robles will be better. Victor's footspeed and defense will set him apart. Soto is currently not a very good outfielder, although I expect him to get better.

The question is whether Robles will become as good a hitter as Juan has already proven to be.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#395 » by 80sballboy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:35 pm

Love how the Nats FO show interest in Kimbrel but the Lerners are not willing to go over the lux tax to pay him a big deal. To what, pay an extra three million? Looks like he might end up in Milwaukee. I don't mind the bullpen and I like the three pickups. I think Rosenthal was good insurance as the backup closer. But Kimbrel, aside from postseason, is one of the best in the game and you'd like to keep him away from Philly and Atlanta.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#396 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:53 pm

80sballboy wrote:Love how the Nats FO show interest in Kimbrel but the Lerners are not willing to go over the lux tax to pay him a big deal. To what, pay an extra three million? Looks like he might end up in Milwaukee. I don't mind the bullpen and I like the three pickups. I think Rosenthal was good insurance as the backup closer. But Kimbrel, aside from postseason, is one of the best in the game and you'd like to keep him away from Philly and Atlanta.

We pick on Washington, but it's Atlanta that's the real cheapskate here. Kimbrel's a hero in Atlanta - where he started - and the Braves bullpen is a huge questionmark with one of their 2 co-closers who really aren't closers injured, and they admit that they haven't had any talks about acquiring Kimbrell. Some corporation owns the Braves, and they refuse to spend money.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#397 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#398 » by 80sballboy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:59 pm

Nats are going to Nat. No clutch hitting even when deGrom is out. Robles baserunning mistake. Davey goes to crappy part of the bullpen down 1-0. Zim batting fifth is going to look awful until they move him down or replace him with Adams. Wolves on Twitter already out on Davey.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#399 » by 80sballboy » Mon Apr 1, 2019 12:10 am

Trea Turner saved the series today. Trevor Rosenthal can't get anybody out. Might be time to fake an injury or not pitch him in key situations. Mike Rizzo not looking very good for putting together that disastrous bullpen. I know it's early but Rosenthal might be throwing 101 and he was struggling in the spring. I doubt they go after Kimbrel unless he lowers his price. And he'll still need a few weeks to get ready. Same story, different year.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#400 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 3, 2019 4:20 pm

So yea the harper move kind of looks like a disaster right now

It's not so much about what Harper would do to help you win games, but him playing well for the Phillies, playing them as often as we do, while we're NOT good, the hit to the teams interest and relevancy feels VERY significant right now. Even if we turn things around and are competing for a playoff spot with Soto playing MVP tier down the road, the shadow of Harp assisting the Phillies in challenging us every step of the way feels significant, terrible, pretty much everything.

If the AAV was disastrous it'd be a lot easier to stomach, but it's not.

I'm actually starting to hate the Lerners for reducing us to this.

Return to Washington Wizards