The FUNK Zone - Ben Askren Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

The FUNK Zone - Ben Askren Thread 

Post#1 » by Susan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:31 pm

To the most Wisconsin man on the planet!

I'm super impressed with how strong he is mentally. He's shining in the UFC spotlight and really generating interest with some of the most wholesome, truthful and goofy smack talk on the planet. Really seems like he's enjoying this in a way very few have and I really think he's got a shot to be one of the biggest stars in the history of the sport.

Where do y'all stand on Dadbod Askren?
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Re: The FUNK Zone - Ben Askren Thread 

Post#2 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:18 am

He is not ironically, not trollingly a Trump supporter.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Susan
RealGM

Post#3 » by Susan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:21 am

cowboyronnie wrote:He is not ironically, not trollingly a Trump supporter.

Hes the best in the world at one thing, using wrestling in MMA. He's one of the most unique showmen in the UFC and does it in a way that I find interesting.

Dana White literally spoke at the RNC in 2016 and we all still watch/support this sport. Who knows how many Brazilian UFC fighters support their awful president?

We're watching these guys fight for our pleasure, who are we to have the moral high ground on anything?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#4 » by REDDzone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:12 am

It's funny because I remember Belcher used to stay at Ben's house when he trained at Duke's a few years back and he used to go around saying Ben and his wife are "liberal nutjobs" and "hippies" and all this. At some point though Ben got really into the youtube conspiracy videos, not Eddie Bravo the earth is flat type of stuff, more political stuff, and the Trump support followed that.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#5 » by REDDzone » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:15 am

Susan wrote:To the most Wisconsin man on the planet!

I'm super impressed with how strong he is mentally. He's shining in the UFC spotlight and really generating interest with some of the most wholesome, truthful and goofy smack talk on the planet. Really seems like he's enjoying this in a way very few have and I really think he's got a shot to be one of the biggest stars in the history of the sport.

If he has one hobby besides wrestling, it's...well, frisbee golf. But if he has two hobbies besides wrestling, it's frisbee golf and sports psychology.

It's not surprising that one of the best wrestlers on the planet who is obsessed with sports psychology would be effective at MMA. I'm still trying to figure out where the frisbee golf comes in.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#6 » by Susan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:To the most Wisconsin man on the planet!

If he has one hobby besides wrestling, it's...well, frisbee golf. But if he has two hobbies besides wrestling, it's frisbee golf and sports psychology.

It's not surprising that one of the best wrestlers on the planet who is obsessed with sports psychology would be effective at MMA. I'm still trying to figure out where the frisbee golf comes in.

Could just be a focus thing/chill thing that he enjoys.

The sports psychology thing is a major interest to me and it's why I'm so interested in Askren.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#7 » by cowboyronnie » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Susan wrote:

Hes the best in the world at one thing, using wrestling in MMA. He's one of the most unique showmen in the UFC and does it in a way that I find interesting.

Dana White literally spoke at the RNC in 2016 and we all still watch/support this sport. Who knows how many Brazilian UFC fighters support their awful president?

We're watching these guys fight for our pleasure, who are we to have the moral high ground on anything?

Isn't the point of this thread to celebrate the man's extra-MMA features?

I'm not suggesting we boycott Dana White or Ben. Just pointing out that the man has some seriously flawed traits.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#8 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:01 am

Keep in mind, most of the world (like this Canadian urbanite) does not run into Trump supporters on the daily. We haven't built a tolerance. When we spot one, we gawk like they've got a goiter stuck to the side of their head. It's **** nuts. As a result, I can't ignore this feature of Ben.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#9 » by AirCanadaMouse » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:06 am

Super surprised at the odds with Askren as the heavy favourite once again, with what I saw in the Maia fight, I think Masvidal is a very tough match-up for him. Definitely worth throwing some money on.
Thank you Clutch0z24
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#10 » by REDDzone » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:45 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Super surprised at the odds with Askren has the heavy favourite once again, with what I saw in the Maia fight, I think Masvidal is a very tough match-up for him. Definitely worth throwing some money on.

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,871

Post#11 » by Jasen777 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:58 pm

AirCanadaMouse wrote:Super surprised at the odds with Askren has the heavy favourite once again, with what I saw in the Maia fight, I think Masvidal is a very tough match-up for him. Definitely worth throwing some money on.

The odds imply about a 67% to 68% chance for Askren to win. Not sure that counts as a heavy favorite. Tricky to use a fight he lost as a an argument for Masvidal.
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#12 » by duppyy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:44 pm

Is this gonna end up like the mike perry thread.
Susan
RealGM

Post#13 » by Susan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:27 am

duppyy wrote:Is this gonna end up like the mike perry thread.

Mike Perry provides the best MMA content. Askren is on a run to become the 170 champ.

I predict these tings.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#14 » by gigantes » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:30 pm

I think DFW did Askren dirty by not allowing him in the UFC during his prime. Dana's a liar and a hypocrite across any number of issues of course, but it does beg the question-- "now what?"

Funky has already admitted that he's some years removed from his peak. He's already proven himself across multiple organisations. He's presumably fortunate in having avoiding a lot of CTE damage others have sustained.

But now what? He's been savaged in his last two fights, and his goal of winning the UFC 170 belt is looking pretty uphill and punishing at this point. He's going to need about 2-3 fights I would guess in order to earn a title shot. Roughly 1.5 - 2 years of his life. Meanwhile, he turns 35 this month, and optimistically would be hoping to fight for the belt at about age 37.

Is it really worth the damage, fighting towards middle age in order to chase this thing? I hope Ben and his family consider this well...
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,077

Post#15 » by High 5 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:40 pm

Maybe add "In Memoriam" to the title, eh?
Susan
RealGM

Post#16 » by Susan » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:44 am

Askren Maia needs to happen.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#17 » by cowboyronnie » Mon Jul 8, 2019 1:43 am

Maia by KTFO
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,125

Post#18 » by duppyy » Mon Jul 8, 2019 12:40 pm

K1 Maia knocks him out.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#19 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Jul 8, 2019 2:22 pm

REDDzone wrote:

Sometimes you guys need to listen to me. I've been on a roll lately.
Thank you Clutch0z24
Susan
RealGM

Post#20 » by Susan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts