2019 Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 900

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion 

Post#61 » by MugzZo » Thu Mar 7, 2019 3:45 am

TheKingofSting wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Hucimara sp?? The forward from Gonzaga would be a decent fit next to miles going forward. If we keep slipping though we could land in nassir little territory and he would be the obvious pick who would also work with miles going forward.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

Rui can be our Giannis, we absolutely can’t draft a Tar Heel, nobody gives a **** about the Hornets anymore anyway! Well Coby White is the only Carolina player we may could get away with drafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will always give a **** about the Hornets!!!

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,043

Post#62 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 8, 2019 2:52 pm

Charlotte needs to take a long look at Amir Hinton with their 2nd rounder.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#63 » by stinger14 » Fri Mar 8, 2019 8:40 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:
MugzZo wrote:Hucimara sp?? The forward from Gonzaga would be a decent fit next to miles going forward. If we keep slipping though we could land in nassir little territory and he would be the obvious pick who would also work with miles going forward.

Rui can be our Giannis, we absolutely can’t draft a Tar Heel, nobody gives a **** about the Hornets anymore anyway! Well Coby White is the only Carolina player we may could get away with drafting.

Totally agree with this^^^^
If the Hornets draft any of the current TarHeels, then it becomes very obvious that what's best for Hornets and improving the roster is not top priority. Having colored glasses based on where a kid goes to college is not smart as an NBA owner. That scenario would have me apologizing for blaming Cho
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#64 » by Lwcasu » Fri Mar 8, 2019 8:43 pm

I don’t get the appeal of Rui. He’s a small 4 who shoots well but doesn’t shoot the 3 a lot with unspectacular defense. He is stronger than his competition but this is the NCAA. He’s not Zion. He’s not really explosive or super fast. He seems to have good instincts. I feel like he’s going to be a much lesser version of David West.

Why don’t we go after Bol Bol who is a freak and can actually stretch the floor + a great shot blocker. Yes Bol Bol has a foot injury but so did Embidd.

I’m even higher on Langford or Culver and that’s with the fact we probably don’t need to draft a guard.
stinger14
Starter
And1: 768

Post#65 » by stinger14 » Sat Mar 9, 2019 11:32 am

Lwcasu wrote:I don’t get the appeal of Rui. He’s a small 4 who shoots well but doesn’t shoot the 3 a lot with unspectacular defense. He is stronger than his competition but this is the NCAA. He’s not Zion. He’s not really explosive or super fast. He seems to have good instincts. I feel like he’s going to be a much lesser version of David West.

Why don’t we go after Bol Bol who is a freak and can actually stretch the floor + a great shot blocker. Yes Bol Bol has a foot injury but so did Embidd.

I’m even higher on Langford or Culver and that’s with the fact we probably don’t need to draft a guard.

I also like Culver, kid can play
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#66 » by predators » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:29 pm

LofJ wrote:The last hoorah for big time college basketball was last night. I wonder what effect the elimination of 1 and done will have on the game? What will NBA teams do with top prospects if they don't go to college?

Guys like Zion would likely skip the G league and be playing in the NBA right now. But what about raw, but talented players like Brandon Ingram that need development? Will people start to flock to G league venues once the talent pool hits a critical point? I think they will, but it will take time.

Good players will also certainly continue to play in college, and some of them will turn out to be great in the NBA. But eventually the best young players that the NBA wants their hands on but aren't quite ready for the big league will turn the G league into something worth watching.

College basketball will basically be the same, the appeal is mostly the atmosphere of games & the final tournament which won't change at all. It wasn't any better or worse when guys were jumping ship out of high school prior to the rule change. I would also argue 1 and dones haven't been super relevant to who ends up winning the whole thing. Since '06, 1 and dones have only played a huge role on the '12 Kentucky and '15 Duke teams.

I expect the G-league to be mostly college-aged kids relatively soon after the rule is changed, but I don't think it'll ever hit the popularity of College Basketball. I think it'll make the NBA better in the long run. I think NBA teams should just look into having Academies and start letting teams try to develop their own talent.
bravor
Starter
And1: 733

Post#67 » by bravor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:12 am

Rui would fit that '2016 team' pretty well apparently. Otoh, Clarke would do wonders here despite his low ceiling.
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#68 » by tondi123 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:00 pm

predators wrote:
LofJ wrote:The last hoorah for big time college basketball was last night. I wonder what effect the elimination of 1 and done will have on the game? What will NBA teams do with top prospects if they don't go to college?

Guys like Zion would likely skip the G league and be playing in the NBA right now. But what about raw, but talented players like Brandon Ingram that need development? Will people start to flock to G league venues once the talent pool hits a critical point? I think they will, but it will take time.

Good players will also certainly continue to play in college, and some of them will turn out to be great in the NBA. But eventually the best young players that the NBA wants their hands on but aren't quite ready for the big league will turn the G league into something worth watching.

College basketball will basically be the same, the appeal is mostly the atmosphere of games & the final tournament which won't change at all. It wasn't any better or worse when guys were jumping ship out of high school prior to the rule change. I would also argue 1 and dones haven't been super relevant to who ends up winning the whole thing. Since '06, 1 and dones have only played a huge role on the '12 Kentucky and '15 Duke teams.

I expect the G-league to be mostly college-aged kids relatively soon after the rule is changed, but I don't think it'll ever hit the popularity of College Basketball. I think it'll make the NBA better in the long run. I think NBA teams should just look into having Academies and start letting teams try to develop their own talent.

I think the biggest change will be a lot of the higher profile college coaches deciding to hang it up within a couple years. Most of them are nothing more than recruiters who are in the right spot to bring in the elite players that make people think they are amazing coaches. The sudden loss of those players will expose them and force them to do something else for a living. Do you really think those guys have any desire to coach a bunch of players without being able to win 80% of their games just from showing up?
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#69 » by DY_nasty » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:19 pm

watch us draft coby white lol
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#70 » by Splitta » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Coby White would be a good draft pick. 6 ft 5 in combo guard that can actually shoot and plays good defense. I would take him in a heart beat.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 900

Post#71 » by MugzZo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:44 pm

White wouldn't be bad I'd be ok with it

Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 866

Post#72 » by Chapelchilla » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:37 pm

DY_nasty wrote:watch us draft coby white lol

It would be great to watch us draft Coby White. He has size, speed and natural scoring ability. Much rather have him then Little or most of the other 6-15 ranked picks. We can work on his handles and D as he is only 19 or so and they can be taught. His strengths cannot.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#73 » by DY_nasty » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:08 pm

i'm a firm believer in "you can't teach handles" at the nba level. you can' tighten it up, but you can't make someone a tier better than they are when they get to league. its absurdly rare

give me a big, pls.
Splitta
Sophomore

Post#74 » by Splitta » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Coby will be a combo guard in the NBA and probably do well. Not to draft him because of him playing for UNC would be very short sighted for any NBA team.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#75 » by DY_nasty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 am

Splitta wrote:Coby will be a combo guard in the NBA and probably do well. Not to draft him because of him playing for UNC would be very short sighted for any NBA team.

so would drafting him just because he went to unc

its already how we hire :lol:
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,514

Post#76 » by Bassman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:37 am

Our biggest draft mistakes have been tied to 2 things:

1. Drafting based on college accolades: Our picks typically have gone to good schools, have won some awards, but are good COLLEGE players, not projected as really good NBA players. Why? Partly where we select versus the available talent. Further down you have to be much better at finding an impact player.

2. We draft with the intent of changing them: MKG was a poor shooter but we decided we could fix that. Nope. We drafted Zeller and Frank to turn them into stretch 4’s. Nope. We drafted Monk and thought we could teach him defense. TBD but not looking good. Miles is undersized but trying to make him a 4. TBD - he is a rookie.

The year we drafted both Felton and McMay was pure MJ homer to sell tickets strategy. Ugh. With our pick this year get the best player projected as an NBA player. Size matters, athleticism matters, and in today’s league you MUST shoot well. If that player at our pick is Coby White, do it. He does project well for a late lottery pick.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#77 » by BigSlam » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Bassman wrote:Our biggest draft mistakes have been tied to 2 things:

1. Drafting based on college accolades: Our picks typically have gone to good schools, have won some awards, but are good COLLEGE players, not projected as really good NBA players. Why? Partly where we select versus the available talent. Further down you have to be much better at finding an impact player.

2. We draft with the intent of changing them: MKG was a poor shooter but we decided we could fix that. Nope. We drafted Zeller and Frank to turn them into stretch 4’s. Nope. We drafted Monk and thought we could teach him defense. TBD but not looking good. Miles is undersized but trying to make him a 4. TBD - he is a rookie.

The year we drafted both Felton and McMay was pure MJ homer to sell tickets strategy. Ugh. With our pick this year get the best player projected as an NBA player. Size matters, athleticism matters, and in today’s league you MUST shoot well. If that player at our pick is Coby White, do it. He does project well for a late lottery pick.

Except that MJ wasn’t even with the Bobcats when Felton and May were drafted.

He didn’t join until 2006 - a year later.

B B M F 'ers
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,633

Post#78 » by yosemiteben » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Yeah, MJ wasn't involved, but they were definitely picks made to cater to the NC crowd. Bob Johnson wanted to bring in fans to ensure viability of his new franchise.
Splitta
Sophomore

Post#79 » by Splitta » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Yep Felton and May were Bob Johnson's draft picks to hopefully draw fans. Folks on the board complain about our UNC picks should look at our Kentucky picks (MKG and Monk). Probably should not draft Kentucky players either (lol).
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#80 » by DY_nasty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 pm

Splitta wrote:Yep Felton and May were Bob Johnson's draft picks to hopefully draw fans. Folks on the board complain about our UNC picks should look at our Kentucky picks (MKG and Monk). Probably should not draft Kentucky players either (lol).

kentucky players actually end up being good in the NBA these days

for the most part

unc? unc guards? wew

Return to Charlotte Hornets