Spring Training

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Re: Spring Training 

Post#121 » by dagger » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:23 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
dagger wrote:It would be great if Alford lives us the potential he is thought to have. In my view, rebuilding is a cycle in which teams tend to move from breakup talent - the vets who used to make the team good - to placeholders and then on to keepers. The breakup talent should be gone by the end of the season if not sooner (Morales, Smoak, Pillar). A lot of the young guys on the roster now are placeholders, and you hope maybe one of them becomes a keeper, but they are long shots. Now Alford looks like a potential keeper. With Vlad and Bo, we'd have three keepers in place by next season, and that would seem like a likely time when the cycle truly starts gaining a bit of altitude.

I think Jansen has the potential to be a keeper, too, but time will tell.

Yes, I agree, although the Jays are deep in C prospects, so I can't discount another guy coming up who becomes the real keeper, in whic case Jansen could become excellent trade bait.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#122 » by polo007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 am

Read on Twitter

Ken Giles absolutely lost it on David Paulino - BlueJaysNation

There’s no video footage of this, so we’re going off audio and first-hand testimony of the altercation, but according to Blair and Stephen Brunt, Paulino refused to participate in a fielding drill … and that’s when the Blue Jays’ closer stepped in spoke up with some harsh words.

If you listen to the 1:25:00 mark of the Jeff Blair Show just before they throw to break, you can hear a lot of yelling in the background from one party (Giles) and his tirade filled with several audible f-bombs. Here’s my amateur transcription of what was said:

“Then [expletive] do it. That’s right, I [expletive] went there and I [expletive] went and did it. If you [expletive] don’t like it, then get the [expletive] out of here, now."

Later in the show, Brunt revealed it was Marcus Stroman who stepped in and separated Giles and Paulino. Apparently, after the dust settled on the field, nobody was in Paulino’s corner in the aftermath of the altercation.

One thing of note; both Giles and Paulino were teammates with the Astros roster last year, so there may be a bit of a history there. This may have been a behaviour that Giles has witnessed in years past with the Astros. It’s not as though Giles chewed out a rookie player he just met for not participating in a fielding drill.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#123 » by vaff87 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 am

Not sure what to make of this. Giles is a hothead and all that. And base drills for our relief pitchers in spring training doesn’t exactly seem like a big deal. But on the other hand, it’s possible Paulino needs a kick in the ass to realize his potential.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#124 » by The_Hater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:44 am

vaff87 wrote:Not sure what to make of this. Giles is a hothead and all that. And base drills for our relief pitchers in spring training doesn’t exactly seem like a big deal. But on the other hand, it’s possible Paulino needs a kick in the ass to realize his potential.

I think it’s fairly simple. Those 2 have known each other for a few years now and clearly don’t like each other.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
polo007
General Manager

Post#125 » by polo007 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter
dagger
RealGM

Post#126 » by dagger » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Borucki was solid today. So was Shoe yesterday. Right now, starters 1-4 are having good springs.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#127 » by vaff87 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:48 pm

Bo is looking really good offensively. Defensively, I have no clue, haven’t really seen any balls hit to him.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,361

Post#128 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Bo 2-2 with a BB so far. Now hitting .441 on the spring. I wasn't penciling him in until 2020, but if he keeps this up he'll be with the big club mid-season.

Urena's minor-league stats suggest he has a long way to go offensively, but he always seems to do better at the big league level. Not sure where he's going to play assuming Bo gets the starting nod at Buffalo, which is likely.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,052

Post#129 » by Schad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Bo 2-2 with a BB so far. Now hitting .441 on the spring. I wasn't penciling him in until 2020, but if he keeps this up he'll be with the big club mid-season.

Urena's minor-league stats suggest he has a long way to go offensively, but he always seems to do better at the big league level. Not sure where he's going to play assuming Bo gets the starting nod at Buffalo, which is likely.

Believe this is Urena's final option year, so his most likely future is to be trade sweetener even if we can shoehorn him in at Buffalo. I don't have particularly high hopes for him, but we didn't improve matters by bringing him up early.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#130 » by dagger » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Travis is out 4-6 weeks with a slight meniscus tear.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#131 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Bo 2-2 with a BB so far. Now hitting .441 on the spring. I wasn't penciling him in until 2020, but if he keeps this up he'll be with the big club mid-season.

Believe this is Urena's final option year, so his most likely future is to be trade sweetener even if we can shoehorn him in at Buffalo. I don't have particularly high hopes for him, but we didn't improve matters by bringing him up early.

Apparently it's between Urena and Sogard for the last roster spot. My bet is Urena makes the club. Sogard is older and more expensive, and I don't see any playing time for Urena in Buffalo with Bichette and Biggio around. I'm sure management wouldn't lose any sleep if Urena played himself into more time at Galvis' expense.
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#132 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:50 pm

Travis just went under the knife (again), this time to repair a meniscus tear in his knee. Poor guy's made of glass. I've always thought he had terrible posture, and I wonder if that's played into his injuries. I hate to say it - because he seems like a genuinely great guy - but at this point his Blue Jays career looks over. Hopefully another team will give him a shot - his bat looked so promising through his first ~600 big league plate appearances.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#133 » by So_Fresh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Devon Travis out 4-6 weeks after undergoing knee surgery. Stick a fork in him. He's done. Injured riddled career. Sad.
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#134 » by Ado05 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 pm

Devon Travis is injured, colour me shocked.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#135 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:52 am

That restricts the infield until Guerrero is ready. Urena and Sogard as backup infielders, Guerriel has shown to get his fair share of bumps and bruises so far. I'd watch for the next utility infielder that becomes available.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 408

Post#136 » by manjusaka » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 am

If there is a need in the middle-infield, Biggio and Bichette should be ready for the callup.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#137 » by So_Fresh » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:That restricts the infield until Guerrero is ready. Urena and Sogard as backup infielders, Guerriel has shown to get his fair share of bumps and bruises so far. I'd watch for the next utility infielder that becomes available.
I'm rooting for Sogard. Having a strong spring so far. Don't think Urena has any options. He would have to be waived before we can demote him to AAA.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using RealGM mobile app
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#138 » by TheDunc » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:43 pm

Videogame curfew in the blue jays club house before games, wow didn't think this type of thing would be a problem but I guess it is
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,052

Post#139 » by Schad » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:50 pm

So_Fresh wrote:
BigLeagueChew wrote:That restricts the infield until Guerrero is ready. Urena and Sogard as backup infielders, Guerriel has shown to get his fair share of bumps and bruises so far. I'd watch for the next utility infielder that becomes available.
I'm rooting for Sogard. Having a strong spring so far. Don't think Urena has any options. He would have to be waived before we can demote him to AAA.

2019 would be Urena's third option season; we can yo-yo him this year, but that'd be the end of that.
**** your asterisk.
polo007
General Manager

Post#140 » by polo007 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:59 pm

TheDunc wrote:Videogame curfew in the blue jays club house before games, wow didn't think this type of thing would be a problem but I guess it is

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Blue Jays