UFC's ESPN+ Deal

Moderator: lilfishi22

Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

UFC's ESPN+ Deal 

Post#1 » by Jasen777 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:12 pm

How the UFC’s deal with ESPN changes the company’s business

So this got buried in the other thread but I think this is thread worthy. $150 for 15 events a year, to be put on ESPN's streaming service (which costs $4.99 a month). It'll be interesting to see where the rest of their events go.

So that's $10 million an event, and this article says that a UFC PPV event would have to get 285,000 buys to match that (which doesn't seem like a lot but many PPVs don't get that many). Presumably this means the UFC will put out less subpar PPVs? It also shows again that collectively the rank and file fighters do have a lot of worth to the UFC...
Jasen777
Head Coach

Re: UFC's ESPN+ Deal 

Post#2 » by Jasen777 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Well this article says the UFC is going to have 12 PPVs and 15 other events and addition to the 15 sold to ESPN+.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#3 » by Jasen777 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:43 pm

ESPN outbid Fox for the rest of the UFC TV content.

ESPN to broadcast 30 UFC events per year during 5-year deal

$1.5 billion over 5 years. 10 events on ESPN, 20 events on ESPN+ (12 fights each). ESPN also will air PPV prelims (12 expected PPV events).
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#4 » by Bernman » Wed May 23, 2018 6:37 pm

Part of me thought Disney would never embrace MMA enough to put it on tv. But I think they were desensitizing people by showing highlights w/ analysis on Sportscenter. This laid the foundation.

Always thought this would be a gamechanger in terms of bringing it to the mainstream, as much as fighting could be. But also providing an actual competitor for the UFC if they ever could have worked out a deal. This effectively undercuts them as WSOF, LFA, and the buyouts had done already. More entrenches the UFC virtual monopoly.

In that way this deal is a real boon to the UFC as well as the sheer #'s and reliability over second-level ppv's. Now just have to avoid lawsuits and unionization to justify the monstrous purchase price for IMG-WME.

From a consumer standpoint it's a slam dunk. $5 per month when FP was charging twice that, didn't carry nearly as high quality of events as this will, let alone accompanying sports. Pays to get in here as an innovator, because eventually they'll inevitably jack up the price. But it still would be cost-effective.

Cut the cord! Netflix, ESPN+ and maybe Fox too, YouTube for news/interviews/entertainment shows should pretty much cover you for content, while serving you better in the area, for much less.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Jasen777 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:58 pm

Bernman wrote:Cut the cord! Netflix, ESPN+ and maybe Fox too, YouTube for news/interviews/entertainment shows should pretty much cover you for content, while serving you better in the area, for much less.

I would love to cut the cord (and might anyways if it was only up to me) but there's only one high speed ISP here and it's the cable company and of course they charge almost as much for internet as the do for internet + TV.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Post#6 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Wed May 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Bernman wrote:Cut the cord! Netflix, ESPN+ and maybe Fox too, YouTube for news/interviews/entertainment shows should pretty much cover you for content, while serving you better in the area, for much less.

I would love to cut the cord (and might anyways if it was only up to me) but there's only one high speed ISP here and it's the cable company and of course they charge almost as much for internet as the do for internet + TV.

/deadpans: Move! (I kid!) Lolz! :P! :)! :D!
Bernman
RealGM

Post#7 » by Bernman » Wed May 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Jasen777 wrote:I would love to cut the cord (and might anyways if it was only up to me) but there's only one high speed ISP here and it's the cable company and of course they charge almost as much for internet as the do for internet + TV.

The Fed > OPEC > Media Monopoly. There's a push for public broadband because of the net neutrality repeal. It's being appealed and passed the senate, but it won't make it thru the house, let alone president. So even locales that don't have the cable monopoly it would behoove them to make broadband a public utility, let alone the ones who do. You'd have double the motive. Then you could cut the cord with an internet bill on the cheap my friend.
onlyAlex
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#8 » by onlyAlex » Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:29 am

Presumably this means the UFC will put out less subpar PPVs? It also shows again that collectively the rank and file fighters do have a lot of worth to the UFC.
I love new projects. You can see my work here.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Jasen777 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 2:43 pm

onlyAlex wrote:Presumably this means the UFC will put out less subpar PPVs?

They're still doing 12 PPVs a year, so that's not likely...
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#11 » by REDDzone » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Being a UFC fan is expensive, man. A PPV per month at what? $65 dollars? Then Fightpass which is $10/month. Then ESPN+ which is $5/ month. Finally, a cable or internet package including ESPN which probably ranges from $25 to $100+.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Bernman
RealGM

Post#12 » by Bernman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:34 am

REDDzone wrote:Being a UFC fan is expensive, man. A PPV per month at what? $65 dollars? Then Fightpass which is $10/month. Then ESPN+ which is $5/ month. Finally, a cable or internet package including ESPN which probably ranges from $25 to $100+.

Not to mention $10 for DAZN if you want to watch Bellators. Less people would just end up streaming it illegally if they didn't make this stuff so costly. I don't know if DAZN would be worth it regardless, but if UFC packaged all of their live content together and offered it online for a couple hundred bucks per yr, a lot more people would be content enough to pay it.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#13 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:23 am

Someone said anyone outside of the U.S. (or in the U.S. with a VPN, allegedly) can just watch all these upcoming ESPN+ events on Fight Pass. That's a great deal for them IMO because FightPass has good content already and I'm guessing the number of and quality of events/fights will be increasing now that they are shifting to ESPN+.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#14 » by JazzUte88 » Sat Feb 2, 2019 10:42 am

I miss the Fox Sports deal. ESPN+ isn't expensive, but it's not TV.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Jasen777 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:59 pm

ESPN+ to be exclusive home of UFC PPV events

I assume they still cost $60 or whatever?
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Jasen777 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 pm

More information on MMAFIghting

Beginning next month with UFC 236, the only way to purchase a UFC pay-per-view card at home in the United States will be through ESPN+, it was announced Monday. Only subscribers to ESPN+ will be able to buy UFC PPV cards, at a reduced rate of $59.99 per event, the press release said.

The cost of the service is $4.99 per month of $49.99 per year. About 10 more events per year will air on ESPN’s cable channels with prelims airing on .

Another 12 are UFC pay-per-view events, which will now air exclusively — for purchase — on . Prior to the change, UFC PPV events were available through U.S. cable and satellite operators, like Comcast and DirecTV, as well as UFC.tv and Amazon.

With the new deal, will offer a bundle option, offering new subscribers 12 months of the digital sports streaming service with one UFC PPV event included for $79.99 ($30 more than the usual yearly price for ).

So this is good for ESPN and bad for cable/satellite companies, but I'm not sure it's good for the UFC (ESPN+ has 2 million subscribers and even if that goes way up it's limiting the number of potential PPV buyers). And I guess it's bad for customers that now have to pay for ESPN+ just so they can pay for PPVs...
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#17 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:17 pm

I haven't read beyond what you posted in this thread, but scraping for possible positives here: does this give the UFC more flexibility? Just wondering, because we always heard in the past that they wouldn't or couldn't cancel or discount PPVs that fall apart because they don't want to piss off their PPV partners. So now if Whitaker falls out at the last minute, would they be able to move it to a free card or discount it? Not positive if they would even want to I guess, but wondering if that's now possible.

One unknown is how does this affect commercial airing of these events. I consume every PPV at the bar with some buddies from the gym. Is BWW/Hooters, etc. going to stream this from ESPN+? I have no idea. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if not though, buying a $60 PPV every month is just not going to happen for me.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#18 » by High 5 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm

REDDzone wrote:I haven't read beyond what you posted in this thread, but scraping for possible positives here: does this give the UFC more flexibility? Just wondering, because we always heard in the past that they wouldn't or couldn't cancel or discount PPVs that fall apart because they don't want to piss off their PPV partners. So now if Whitaker falls out at the last minute, would they be able to move it to a free card or discount it? Not positive if they would even want to I guess, but wondering if that's now possible.

One unknown is how does this affect commercial airing of these events. I consume every PPV at the bar with some buddies from the gym. Is BWW/Hooters, etc. going to stream this from ESPN+? I have no idea. I'm not sure what I'm going to do if not though, buying a $60 PPV every month is just not going to happen for me.

I read that those places will still purchase PPVs the same way.

This deal seems bad for most fans, but I haven't spent money on the UFC in years so :dontknow:
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#19 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:44 pm

^ Huh. MMAfighting article has the following quote: "UFC will still sell its PPV events to commercial establishments like bars and restaurants."

I guess that means the same way? That's a weird sentence. Sell them how?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#20 » by REDDzone » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Dana intervie was so cringy (paraphrase): Let me tell you, the winner here is the fans. This deal is INCREDIBLE for the fans. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

He literally just kept repeating the word "incredible" 7 times without once explaining how this was in any way good for the fans.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts