Monte Morris: a Denver Nuggets X-Factor

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,515

Monte Morris: a Denver Nuggets X-Factor 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:40 pm

During Summer League this summer we all are impressed by how well Monte Morris improved for some 51st pick from 2017 draft which got chance to play just 3 games in his rookie season. M.Morris is introduced in our 2018-19 roster as last 15th member, but after Isaiah Thomas due to injury recovering process still didn't start to play for Nuggets, and Will Barton already during 2nd game of the season suffers a serious injury which will take him out from the court at least 6 weeks, Monte Morris importance for the team rises significantly overnight. And he uses his opportunities so far arguably better than Beasley, Craig, or Juancho, and his performance vs Lakers this week is just great (20pts/7ast), so after opening 5 games of the new season, MM is deservedly our 7th man by mpg playing time.

Once IT and Barton will be back, his role will be reduced again, but it is great to know we have such decent backup backcourt option on the bench for near future (Thomas will go next summer).

skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Re: Monte Morris: 2018-19 Denver Nuggets X-Factor from the bench 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:55 am

Morris has been a godsend, showing that this team knows how to draft well. He gives them options for now and the future, allowing IT to mend as well as options and future solid PG play.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#3 » by THE J0KER » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 am

:D

And note also that Monte Morris after 25 games has league-best 5.68 Ast/TO ratio!
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:30 am

Can't say I thought he'd be this good when he was selected at #51 but I'd bet he could start for a few teams in this league already. Easily better than Rozier IMO.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#5 » by THE J0KER » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:53 am

skywalker33 wrote:Can't say I thought he'd be this good when he was selected at #51 but I'd bet he could start for a few teams in this league already. Easily better than Rozier IMO.

Monte is better, and especially more efficient, at this moment, than at least 10+ PG starters!

Atlanta (Young)
Boston (Rozier)
Chicago (Dunn)
Cleveland (Hill Burks)
Dallas (DSJ)
Detroit (Jackson)
Lakers (Lonzo)
New Orleans (Fraizer)
New York (Mudiay)
Orlando (Augustin)
Phoenix (Melton)
San Antonio (Forbes)
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#6 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:14 am

Uh, yeah, rather impressive for sure. :clap:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#7 » by THE J0KER » Sat Feb 2, 2019 2:56 am

Unfortunately, Monte Morris didn't reach spot as USA member team for Rising Stars game this season. He is under the radar because he is the former #51 pick, and also because he played 3 games last season, so he is not counted as the rookie of a current notable rookie class led by Doncic. But at least Denver fans know who Morris is, and I just want to praise his sensational efficiency this season, with impressive TS% for a point guard, especially for a newcomer, and league co-leading AST/TO ratio. If Morris was counted as a rookie this season, he would not be TOP10 in minutes per game, but despite playing from the bench for NBA TOP3 team so far this season, he would be TOP10 in points and TOP3 in assists and efficiency in this rookie class. Actually, even compared with sophomores Morris has notable numbers despite being just #18 in playing time and playing for an elite team. If he improves a little bit his FT% numbers, Morris will flirt with 50%-40%-90% numbers.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#8 » by karkinos » Sat Feb 2, 2019 2:45 pm

great skill set and matured well in his time at iowa state
he's going to be in this league a long time.
skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:56 am

Morris continues his growth and improvement, nobody thought this guy could shoot its why he dropped to 51. Mark Price must be doing something right.

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Re: Monte Morris: a Denver Nuggets X-Factor 

Post#10 » by Chi town » Fri Feb 8, 2019 5:13 pm

Bulls fan here. Shocked Bulls didn’t draft him with Hoiberg at the time.

I think he’s a starter. Better than lots of PGs right now including Dunn Collison PHX ORL NYK DAL and I could go on and on.

Great pick for you guys
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#11 » by THE J0KER » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:06 am

Lonzo Ball is out from Rising Stars game, so 11-3-4 58%TS% Monte Morris which playing for NBA TOP4 team seems like the perfect replacement.

But guess what, they chose Knicks Kevin Knocks which 13-4-1 numbers are corrupted by fact that he playing for NBA worst 10-46 team and shooting just 47%TS%. :banghead:
U hova
Pro Prospect
And1: 481

Post#12 » by U hova » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Bumping an old thread to talk about our guy who should be 6th man of the year...
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:59 am

U hova wrote:Bumping an old thread to talk about our guy who should be 6th man of the year...

He's certainly our 6th man of the year - I'm not sure he's gotten enough press to even be in the running. That award is mostly a popularity contest (like so many awards).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Morris might be our best defensive player. Certainly he can't provide the one-on-one defense of Harris, but he works at it. What I'm talking about is his awareness of mis-matches and the communication he provides to help players switch their coverage. It isn't evident all of the time, but once in a while, it is obvious.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#15 » by bwgood77 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:37 pm

This is pretty funny.

Read on Twitter
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by NuggetsWY » Fri Oct 4, 2019 11:05 pm

Of all of Denver's bench players, Morris might be the easiest to trade (not necessarily the most value). I suspect he could start on a few teams and multiple teams would give more minutes than the Nuggets will give him.

He's a solid two-way PG - not a superstar but he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. I do believe he had the second best assist-to-turnover ratio in the NBA last year. (Tyus Jones was first.)

With the Nuggets, Morris is our #4 guard. Or is he? Last year he average slightly more mpg than Beasley. That made him our third option - barely.

Playing just 24 mpg, he was 7th on the Nuggets in ppg.
He had the 5th best FG% on the Nuggets.
He had the 2nd best 3p% on the Nuggets (behind only Welsh's 3 for 7).
He had the 5th best FT% on the Nuggets.
He shot 49-40-80 and that's almost legendary.

His defensive rating is tied for 7th on the Nuggets and his defensive win shares was 5th on the Nuggets.

He was 3rd on the Nuggets in assists.
He was tied for 4th on the Nuggets in steals.

If Beasley and/or Harris struggle, Morris can easily step in as a SG (or let Murray do that and he can play PG).
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:04 pm

https://fansided.com/2019/09/23/nylon-calculus-nba-defending-drive-kick/

Monte Morris is listed as top-10 drive & kick player.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#18 » by THE J0KER » Sat Nov 7, 2020 11:50 pm

Monte Morris Interested In Extension With Nuggets
NOV 6, 2020 10:34 PM

Monte Morris is interested in signing a contract extension with the Denver Nuggets.

“I don’t think it’s a secret to anyone,” Morris told The Denver Post. “I would love to get an extension here. I love Denver. I love everything from the organization to the coaches all the way down to equipment, to everyone. Me, personally, hopefully, if it goes that way. I would love to be in Denver for however long.”

Morris is on a $1.7 million expiring contract with the Nuggets that is non-guaranteed until the start of free agency.

There is believed to be mutual interest in a deal.

Morris is not interested in a deal unless it is well above the $6 million per year range.

Monte Morris with his already famous efficiency is worthy $6M per year for sure, but the Denver cap is under big pressure.
skywalker33

Post#19 » by skywalker33 » Sun Nov 8, 2020 12:47 am

THE J0KER wrote:

Monte Morris is interested in signing a contract extension with the Denver Nuggets.

“I don’t think it’s a secret to anyone,” Morris told The Denver Post. “I would love to get an extension here. I love Denver. I love everything from the organization to the coaches all the way down to equipment, to everyone. Me, personally, hopefully, if it goes that way. I would love to be in Denver for however long.”

Morris is on a $1.7 million expiring contract with the Nuggets that is non-guaranteed until the start of free agency.

Morris is not interested in a deal unless it is well above the $6 million per year range.

Monte Morris with his already famous efficiency is worthy $6M per year for sure, but the Denver cap is under big pressure.

Trade bait.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#20 » by The Rebel » Sun Nov 8, 2020 5:00 am

skywalker33 wrote:
THE J0KER wrote:

Trade bait.

Well above the $6 million per year range means he is likely looking for a full MLE type of deal next year if he does not re-sign here for $7-8 per year this summer.

I agree it is time to trade him, he can start for some teams out there, and I expect he will get at least that on a deal next summer if he stays healthy this year. We will not be able to afford it.

Return to Denver Nuggets