Personal Big Board thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Personal Big Board thread 

Post#1 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:06 pm

we had one of these last season (started by bwgood) so let's have another one this year.

obviously things are still subject to but it's a place to talk about player placement and to compare everyone's big board. try to post at least lotto when/if you do.

here is a link to last year's: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1657805&hilit=big+board
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Re: Personal Big Board thread 

Post#2 » by King Ken » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Mines which will be updated after the Final Four, expect some major changes: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1814119
clyde21
RealGM

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:03 pm

pre tourney/workouts

1. Zion Williamson, PF, Duke
2. R.J. Barrett, SG, Duke
3. Bol Bol, C, Oregon
4. De'Andre Hunter, SF, Virginia
5. Jontay Porter, PF/C, Missouri
6. Darius Garland, PG, Vanderbilt
7. Ja Morant, PG, Murray St.
8. Jaxson Hayes, C, Texas
9. Sekou Doumbouya, PF, Limoges
10. Kevin Porter Jr., SG, USC
11. Jarrett Culver, SG/SF, Texas Tech
12. Talen Horton-Tucker, SG/SF, Iowa St.
13. Cameron Reddish, SF, Duke
14. Tyler Herro, SG, Kentucky

not sold at all on Cam Reddish this high at this point.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#4 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:24 pm

clyde21 wrote:pre tourney/workouts

3. Bol Bol, C, Oregon

If you’re not sold on Reddish, why do you have him 14? One ahead of the guy you’re in love with. If someone is picking 14, they’re paying them good money, why would you pay someone good money when you aren’t sold on him? Usually if a team isn’t sold on a guy they let that guy slip past 14 because the contract is lesser. And then if someone isn’t sold on a first rounder they slip to the second round, where the contract is even smaller. It’s why guys like Skal Labissiere slide so much, no one was sold on him.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#5 » by clyde21 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:35 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:pre tourney/workouts

3. Bol Bol, C, Oregon

If you’re not sold on Reddish, why do you have him 14? One ahead of the guy you’re in love with. If someone is picking 14, they’re paying them good money, why would you pay someone good money when you aren’t sold on him? Usually if a team isn’t sold on a guy they let that guy slip past 14 because the contract is lesser. And then if someone isn’t sold on a first rounder they slip to the second round, where the contract is even smaller. It’s why guys like Skal Labissiere slide so much, no one was sold on him.

this is my board before the ACC tournament, that's why I'm not sold on Cam still being in my top 14. ill readjust if need be after NCAA tourney and combine etc.

if I had to change it now, I'd remove Cam from the lotto and put Coby, but we'll see how that irons out.
elias808
Junior
And1: 310

Post#6 » by elias808 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 pm

1. Zion
2. Morant
3. Clarke
4. Porter
5. Rui
6. Hunter
7. Barrett
8. Washington
9. White
10. Everyone else
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#7 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 pm

Subject to change, as I pay more attention closer to draft time (and the tournament) but this is what my board looks like as of now.

1. Zion Williamson
2. RJ Barett
3. Ja Morant
4. Jarrett Culver
5. Darius Garland
6. Brandon Clarke
7. Kevin Porter Jr
8. DeAndre Hunter
9. Cameron Reddish
10. Nickeil Alexander-Walker
11. Daniel Gafford
12. Coby White
13. Jontay Porter
14. Talen Horton-Tucker

I haven't had the chance to look at Euroleague guys so Doumbouya, Bitadze, Samanic, etc are unranked right now.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Too soon overall obviously,but big board in general not for team fit etc:
1. ZION WILLIAMSON
2. JA MORANT
3. COBY WHITE
4. RJ. BARRETT
5. DARIUS GARLAND
6. D. HUNTER
7. NAS LITTLE
8. J. CULVER
9. J. HAYES
10. CHUMA OKEKE
11. BOL
12. K. PORTER
13. N. ALEXANDER-WALKER
14. NAZ REID
15. B.CLARKE
16. L. KING
17. K. OKPALA
18. PJ. WASHINGTON
19. R. HACHIMURA
20. K. JOHNSON
21. J. PORTER
22. O. AGBAJI
23. B. FERNANDO
24. G. WILLIAMS
25. T. HERRO
26. M. KABENGELE
27. T. HORTON-TUCKER
28. C. JOHNSON
29. D. GAFFORD
30. T. HALIBURTON
31. G. BITADZE
32. R. LANGFORD
33. S. DOUMBOUYA
34. NEEMIAS QUETA
35. A. SCHOFIELD
36. C. EDWARDS
37. A. NEMBHARD
38. C. REDDISH
39. J. McDANIELS
40. K. GUY
41. J. SMITH
42. C. DAVIS
43. J. BONE
44. O.BRISSET
45. S. KANOTE
46. M. HAARMS
47. Q. GRIMES
48. J. HOARD
49. S. PONDS
50. T. JEROME
51. S. MAYS
52. D. LAWSON
53. E. PASCHALL
54. A. HOLMAN
55. T. JONES
56. L. WIGGINGTON
57. M. ONI
58. J. CUMBERLAND
59. K. KOUMADJE
60. C. SILVA
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:55 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Subject to change, as I pay more attention closer to draft time (and the tournament) but this is what my board looks like as of now.

1. Zion Williamson
2. RJ Barett
3. Ja Morant
4. Jarrett Culver
5. Darius Garland
6. Brandon Clarke
7. Kevin Porter Jr
8. DeAndre Hunter
9. Cameron Reddish
11. Daniel Gafford
12. Coby White
13. Jontay Porter
14. Talen Horton-Tucker

I haven't had the chance to look at Euroleague guys so Doumbouya, Bitadze, Samanic, etc are unranked right now.

I like this board. Top 5 is similar to how I’ll probably have it.

Brandon Clarke is a little high for me, but I totally understand it because to the eye test he looks like that level of player and honestly if he can replicate his play at the next level he might be that caliber of player. He has a real chance to surprise people and be really good, he can ball.

Porter Jr to the eye-test also has elite type of talent and could see him also become a high level player.

I personally feel like I’m too low on Nickeil Alexander-Walker just because his size scares me, but he’s one of the better players in the country and I think Bradley Beal is a real possibility for him. He has an NBA game.

Gafford’s size also scares me, but there’s something about his game I like, he fights on the boards and moves well around the floor. He could be what everyone wished JaVale McGee would have become. Also someone I think I’m too low on at times.

So yeah, all these guys are guys who pass my eye-test and look like they can be really good. My only issue is if they can translate against bigger, more athletic players in a faster game where they might have smaller roles.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#10 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:20 am

doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:Subject to change, as I pay more attention closer to draft time (and the tournament) but this is what my board looks like as of now.

1. Zion Williamson
2. RJ Barett
3. Ja Morant
4. Jarrett Culver
5. Darius Garland
6. Brandon Clarke
7. Kevin Porter Jr
8. DeAndre Hunter
9. Cameron Reddish
11. Daniel Gafford
12. Coby White
13. Jontay Porter
14. Talen Horton-Tucker

Brandon Clarke is a little high for me, but I totally understand it because to the eye test he looks like that level of player and honestly if he can replicate his play at the next level he might be that caliber of player. He has a real chance to surprise people and be really good, he can ball.

Porter Jr to the eye-test also has elite type of talent and could see him also become a high level player.

I personally feel like I’m too low on Nickeil Alexander-Walker just because his size scares me, but he’s one of the better players in the country and I think Bradley Beal is a real possibility for him. He has an NBA game.

Gafford’s size also scares me, but there’s something about his game I like, he fights on the boards and moves well around the floor. He could be what everyone wished JaVale McGee would have become. Also someone I think I’m too low on at times.

So yeah, all these guys are guys who pass my eye-test and look like they can be really good. My only issue is if they can translate against bigger, more athletic players in a faster game where they might have smaller roles.

Those are all fair criticisms , NAW definitely needs to put on weight to play at his full potential.

I think Gafford will be fine (judging from similarly sized players like Bam Adebayo) especially due to his exceptional lateral quickness.

My thing with Clarke is that he looks like a really good defender to me, and that can be a very valuable player given how versatile he can be.

As a general rule tho I think with the new “freedom of movement” rules and the rise of small ball in general I’ve become a lot less worried about undersized players in recent years.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

1. Zion Williamson
2. RJ Barett
3. Ja Morant
4. Jarrett Culver
5. Darius Garland
6. Brandon Clarke
7. Kevin Porter Jr
8. DeAndre Hunter
9. Cameron Reddish
11. Daniel Gafford
12. Coby White
13. Jontay Porter
14. Talen Horton-Tucker

Those are all fair criticisms , NAW definitely needs to put on weight to play at his full potential.

I think Gafford will be fine (judging from similarly sized players like Bam Adebayo) especially due to his exceptional lateral quickness.

My thing with Clarke is that he looks like a really good defender to me, and that can be a very valuable player given how versatile he can be.

As a general rule tho I think with the new “freedom of movement” rules and the rise of small ball in general I’ve become a lot less worried about undersized players in recent years.

I don’t think Gafford moves that well laterally, but enough where he can stay with forwards. I just think guards will still kill him out on the perimeter.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#12 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:55 am

doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I don’t think Gafford moves that well laterally, but enough where he can stay with forwards. I just think guards will still kill him out on the perimeter.

Interesting, from what I've seen from him, I can see him switching up to 2-5 in the league.

He does have high hips so blowbys can be an issue so you may be right, but I think he is quick enough for a team to be comfortable with him out on the perimeter. (switching most ball screens or even blizing the PnR)

I think the biggest hinderance there for him there would be his footwork and stance, where he does play a bit upright and doesn't move his feet the best I've seen. But i think physically he has the foot speed and length to contain gaurds.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:04 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

Interesting, from what I've seen from him, I can see him switching up to 2-5 in the league.

He does have high hips so blowbys can be an issue so you may be right, but I think he is quick enough for a team to be comfortable with him out on the perimeter. (switching most ball screens or even blizing the PnR)

I think the biggest hinderance there for him there would be his footwork and stance, where he does play a bit upright and doesn't move his feet the best I've seen. But i think physically he has the foot speed and length to contain gaurds.

It’ll be interesting to see how a team develops him, if they want to keep him lean or beef him up. Because I think with some strength training he can become better on that end. I think a big reason I don’t think he can defend guards is because he seems to get tired on that front and later in games tends to be slower on defense, especially if he’s fighting for rebounds and running the floor all game.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#14 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:31 am

doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

It’ll be interesting to see how a team develops him, if they want to keep him lean or beef him up. Because I think with some strength training he can become better on that end. I think a big reason I don’t think he can defend guards is because he seems to get tired on that front and later in games tends to be slower on defense, especially if he’s fighting for rebounds and running the floor all game.

I think you'd want him relatively lean to where he doesn't look his quickness, I guess something like Capela would be ideal? 10 more lbs of muscle over a couple of years could help with his defense.

Conditioning is a good point, he plays a very high energy game, not every player has the stamina to play that way for big minutes. I haven't seen enough Gafford to the point where I can reasonably assess his stamina tho.

I don't wanna pretend like I'm some Razorback expert or anything but from the game or two that I've seen I don't think his team is putting him in the best spots to succeed, he really has to work hard to carry that defense (because some of the other players looked pretty bad defensively) and that also might be tiring him out. (also offensively he posts up too much and isn't really used as much as a roll man as you would like to see)
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:

I think you'd want him relatively lean to where he doesn't look his quickness, I guess something like Capela would be ideal? 10 more lbs of muscle over a couple of years could help with his defense.

Conditioning is a good point, he plays a very high energy game, not every player has the stamina to play that way for big minutes. I haven't seen enough Gafford to the point where I can reasonably assess his stamina tho.

I don't wanna pretend like I'm some Razorback expert or anything but from the game or two that I've seen I don't think his team is putting him in the best spots to succeed, he really has to work hard to carry that defense (because some of the other players looked pretty bad defensively) and that also might be tiring him out. (also offensively he posts up too much and isn't really used as much as a roll man as you would like to see)

That’s a good point. He also has never had a point guard that is good a working a P&R or one that’s a good penetrator. He should get more credit for everything he’s doing without a lot of help and Centers need help, especially rim runners.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,203

Post#16 » by babyjax13 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:47 am

Highlight video arm-chair warrior rankings:
1) Zion
2) Morant
3) Barrett
4) Reddish
5) Porter Jr.
6) Langford
7) Clark
8) Johnson
9) Walker
10) White
11) Porter
12) Bol Bol
13) Culver
14) Garland

And I reserve the right to change this dramatically.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
KuzControl
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#17 » by KuzControl » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:59 am

Still a lot of water to go under the bridge, but so far I see this:

1: Zion Williamson
2: Ja Morant
3: Darius Garland
4: Coby White
5: De’Andre Hunter
6: RJ Barrett
7: Jontay Porter
8: Jarrett Culver
9: Brandon Clarke
10: NAW
11: Jaxson Hayes
12: Kevin Porter Jr
13: Grant Williams
14: Cam Reddish
15: Bol Bol

Like many it seems, I’m not hugely sold on Reddish, very risky selection early on with his exposed form, at this point. Coby White I can see being a sure-fire offensive talent, Arenas-like. I love Morant’s potential to become a top 10 talent (can easily see him averaging 25/9 at peak) - I can’t see him leading a winning side like I can with Zion, though
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#18 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 am

Zion
Barrett
Morant
Culver
Hachimouri
Langford
K.Johnson
Garland
Hunter
Little
Alexander-Walker
Hayes
Goga
J. Porter
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,091

Post#19 » by Funcrusher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:11 am

life has been hectic which has deterred me from watching a lot of games the past few months... which means i have a hell of a lot of film to watch after the tourney :lol: . But from keeping mostly a birds eye view on prospects and gauging the evaluations here and on other draft sites, i would say my big board lottery looks like this:

1. Zion Williamson
2. Jarrett Culver
3. De’Andre Hunter
4. Darius Garland
5. Jontay Porter
6. Ja Morant
7. RJ Barrett
8. Jaxson Hayes
9. Talen Horton-Tucker
10. Bol Bol
11. Goga Bitadze
12. Coby White
13. Brandon Clarke
14. Grant Williams

Guys just on the outer limits of my lottery:
Kevin Porter Jr.
PJ Washington
Nickeil-Alexander Walker
Cam Reddish
Romeo Langford
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by doordoor123 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:51 pm

It’s interesting to me to see how different everyone’s boards are. There are a bunch of question marks in this draft that can hit or miss, but I actually think it makes this draft stronger. It means there is more of a good chance to get a good player throughout the first round, maybe even in the second.

Return to NBA Draft