Mike Trout is getting paid

Moderator: TyCobb

yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Re: Mike trout: 12 years $430 million 

Post#81 » by yellowknifer » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:47 am

Strepbacter wrote:That's a steal for the Angels. Mike Trout is the best player in the game by a distance, and well on his way to GOAT status. He's like everything LeBron stans desperately wish LeBron was.

Hell of a player. We will see if he can touch Babe. I doubt it highly. Would need major production increases and they would need to be sustained.
jamalkandur
Senior
And1: 719

Post#82 » by jamalkandur » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:53 am

JN61 wrote:
bargnanimvp wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
well of course...it's 'only' 35mil a year...I mean Kevin fricking Love is almost making that the next 3 years lol

Yeah, i'm just answering the question though. NBA no one is getting signed for 12 years in this era.

I have just this mental image of one of these "unhappy" superstars signing 600 million deal for 12 years, 2 years into contract throwing hissy fit and sitting out rest of the season, and talking on some show how they don't like direction the team is going.

Great point, if baseball players were privileged, spoiled and moody as NBA players i would say it's a terrible contract.
JustLucky
Rookie
And1: 700

Post#83 » by JustLucky » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 am

no baseball player is worth that much. maybe an nba player tho
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#84 » by Shoe » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
rapstarter wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:10 years? Are people outside of a handful of markets (LA, NY, Chi, Bos) watching now? Without a Salary Cap, Small Market teams are at a huge disadvantage for the most part (3/4th's of the league are Farm teams). This is why the sport (MLB) has suffered & can't/won't contend with the NFL. The NBA has also surpassed it in popularity thanks to Social Media/Marketing. I believe the average fan is over the age of 50. Younger generations aren't gravitating towards the sport. Baseball will have to adapt or die.

I understand that we are on a basketball forum but are you two serious with this nonsensical baseball bashing? NBA won't
surpass MLB in 10 years.

The NBA has absolutely surpassed MLB in popularity. The National Media (Which drives ratings) rarely if ever talks about Baseball nowadays. The NFL/College Football & NBA/March Madness dominants dominates the headlines for the most part (ESPN, Fox, etc.). The only time Baseball gets coverage is during the Playoffs/World Series. Yet Football in October, still dominants dominates the sports landscape.

And honestly if you asked the average Joe to pick out who Mike Trout was, there's a very high likelihood that they wouldn't even know. Lebron or MJ would get recognized right away. Same can be said for someone like Tom Brady (At least in the U.S.)

The only reason Baseball (MLB) outperforms the NBA in Revenue is due to the amount of games played (162 v. 82) & the difference in seating. Arena's (20K) v. Outdoor Baseball Stadiums (40-60K) on average.

12 different MLB franchises won a title since 2000, and 19 different franchises played in a world series since 2000.

Vs.

8 different NBA franchises winning a title and 13 different franchises being in the finals since 2000.

The NBA is the one with 3/4 farm teams.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,517

Post#85 » by sp6r=underrated » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:45 am

Reading this thread reminds me of two things:
(i) I'm one of maybe ten people that like basketball and baseball, though far more of a hoops fan. For some reasons fans of one sport don't just dislike the other sport which is understandable because the game are very different but are convinced the other league is doomed. Never understood the hatred from either.

I dislike the NFL, and it is a far more immoral sport due to the danger of the game and exploitation of the players, but I don't run around predicting doom for the league even though it faces a larger crisis than either MLB or NBA: decline in High School football. The NFL has no foreign talent base as does the NBA and MLB. Almost all players are American and the sport requires state subsidies for the training of the next generation. You can't learn football playing pickup or unorganized games at a high level similar to other sports because of the heavy structure, which is part of the reason it appeals to fascist types but I digress.

(ii) I'm really old because I've been hearing baseball is doomed to die since I was a child and that was two generation's ago. The sport is clearly undergoing relative decline in popularity but it is a gradual one. A century ago three sports were most popular: baseball, horse racing and boxing. Only the former is still a mainstream sport. It will be less popular 12 years from now but you're foolish if you think this is a doomed industry. They're economic model is very regionalized and resembles that of modern niche tv shows which are ignored by almost everyone but make money through a small but passionate fanbase that spend money on the show. Atlanta, Broad City, Insecure are great programs but their rating numbers are comically dreadful yet they still make a lot of money for their owners.

On topic baseball's lack of contract max length/salaries is great and would improve the NBA dramatically. Teams with smart management are awarded and dumb teams are punished. I love that I hate the NFL model of punishing teams for knowing what they're doing,
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,925

Post#86 » by Optms » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Strepbacter wrote:That's a steal for the Angels. Mike Trout is the best player in the game by a distance, and well on his way to GOAT status. He's like everything LeBron stans desperately wish LeBron was.

Um, it's pretty hilarious how ironic this is.

Lebron is criticized for his lack of winning, yet you think Trout will be the GOAT when he hasn't even won a playoff game and he's 28 years old.

Not saying that Trout might not be the goat, but the arguments against LBJ can literally go against Trout except 10x harder.

This. Between this and the contract Harper was given out earlier, it is just sheer stupidity to argue these contracts are good value.

The issue isn't with money, but with the length and amount of years. Pujols was at the peak of his career when given a similar contract and his abilities declined the moment he signed on. Was he worth it? I'm sure everyone was arguing he was at the time. But 10 years is freaking 10 years. And this one is 12!

My guess is that contract will look like crap within 4 years. I don't care how good Trout has been, unless you have a crystal ball that spans into 2030, don't tell me this is a good contract. His numbers and decline could start as soon as this up coming season and then all this GOAT talk would look incredibly stupid. Trout doesn't even transcend the Sport. Who knows him outside of baseball fans? He isn't even a big name like A-Rod was so he can't even live off his brand if he declines.

12 years. Hahaha.
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,682

Post#87 » by CallMeKahn » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:15 pm

I only question the length. The average value per year isn't far too far above a Supermax deal in the NBA.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#88 » by dacrusha » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Trout was already making $34 million per year on his existing deal, so this just extends that same salary commitment up to 2030.

An absolute no-brainer for easily the best player in baseball.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#89 » by Pinkyring » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Terrible contract, guy is 28, he maybe has 5 elite years left, so the last 7 will be miserable, there is no reason to sign any guy until he's 40, that never works in baseball, a rod and pujols were generational talents too and their last years on their deals were brutal. Trout hasn't won 1 playoff game
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,232

Post#90 » by boomershadow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:45 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
igorbianch wrote:AD had a 240/5 contract in his table this summer and he turned down.

Yep, which blows that Trout contract out of the water. AD could have been eating lobster.

I mean it equates to more than 570 million over the 12 years.
Eat lobster? He could wipe his ass with lobster.
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#91 » by Tomjas » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Hilarious that people are claiming that this guy is really good

Name another team sport where having the best player doesn’t guarantee a playoff spot

Imagine the reaction if Messi or LeBron played for a team that was constantly in a relegation battle

That’s this guy

He’s the most overpaid sportsman in history
CBU
Freshman
And1: 122

Post#92 » by CBU » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Tennis19 wrote:
CBU wrote:In MLB, standard is $10mn per year per 1 WAR.

Trout averages 8.5 WAR a year, he's underpaid by about 50%.

He's that good...

not even close. so you're saying betts, judge, arenado should be getting 60-70 million a year? thats just players i can think of right now. im pretty sure theres at least 20 players that avg at least 4+ war in there career.
Yes, the analytics guys that took over sports are wrong and you're right...
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#93 » by John Murdoch » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Go to any batting cage , turn the speed up to 90+ and you will have a new found respect for the sport. Having said that, it just isn't aesthetically pleasing to my eyes to actually watch . Very slow paced, majority of the players have a smug arrogance about them , almost like cops
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#94 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:33 pm

Pinkyring wrote:Terrible contract, guy is 28, he maybe has 5 elite years left, so the last 7 will be miserable, there is no reason to sign any guy until he's 40, that never works in baseball, a rod and pujols were generational talents too and their last years on their deals were brutal. Trout hasn't won 1 playoff game
In the one playoff series where he appeared, Trout was one for twelve. And his team lost.
I
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#95 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Tomjas wrote:Hilarious that people are claiming that this guy is really good

Name another team sport where having the best player doesn’t guarantee a playoff spot

Imagine the reaction if Messi or LeBron played for a team that was constantly in a relegation battle

That’s this guy

Baseball should be more accurately called pitchball. Because pitchers are far more important than the other players including players as good as Trout. No team wins the WS or gets into the playoffs without a strong pitching staff.
Unless he's a huge crowd draw, instead of paying him all that loot, the team would have been better off paying good pitchers.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#96 » by Forte IV » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:41 pm

Ehh. I don't know much about baseball, but you can't be a GOAT if your team never even makes the playoffs. Last time I check the Angels aren't that good.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#97 » by Pinkyring » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:

That’s this guy

Baseball should be more accurately called pitchball. Because pitchers are far more important than the other players including players as good as Trout. No team wins the WS or gets into the playoffs without a strong pitching staff.
Unless he's a huge crowd draw, instead of paying him all that loot, the team would have been better off paying good pitchers.

Pitchers play once every 5 games, u need at least 3 of them. These sports teams paying guys 25m plus when they dont impact every play is nuts
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,442

Post#98 » by Jables » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:06 pm

Not American but I don't really get it, why pay one guy that much when he doesn't win in playoffs? Does he bring more money back because I've never heard of him, his brand can't be that big I knew Jeter and Rodriguez even if I don't know baseball.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant

Post#99 » by Johnlac1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:07 pm

Pinkyring wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:

That’s this guy

Pitchers play once every 5 games, u need at least 3 of them. These sports teams paying guys 25m plus when they dont impact every play is nuts
Doesn't matter. Average teams would be far better off with a better pitching staff than better hitters. Solution: pay to get good pitchers.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,940

Post#100 » by Wallace_Wallace » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:36 pm

boomershadow wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
igorbianch wrote:AD had a 240/5 contract in his table this summer and he turned down.

Yep, which blows that Trout contract out of the water. AD could have been eating lobster.

I mean it equates to more than 570 million over the 12 years.
Eat lobster? He could wipe his ass with lobster.

I cannot undo that scene in my head. :lol:

Who’s going to be eating those lobster afterwards? Ingram? Ball? Hart?

Return to The General MLB Board