UFC's ESPN+ Deal

Moderator: lilfishi22

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,497

Re: UFC's ESPN+ Deal 

Post#21 » by Bernman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:17 pm

They're trying to aggressively leverage you into the switch so you're a regular viewer again. Could end up backfiring of course to where they turn off customers and their ppv #'s plummet. They made a cost-benefit analysis and time will tell if they were right. I honestly have no idea.

ESPN+ in a vacuum is a great deal at $5 per month when you get a lot of other sports like soccer too. But I'm sure it's just a price to hook you in initially and soon they'll jack it to $10. Maybe just offer a gold package where you get everything, inc. ppv's, for like $20 a month, and be done w/ it. They're trying to find a way around to extract every dollar though.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,078

Post#22 » by High 5 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 pm

REDDzone wrote:Dana intervie was so cringy (paraphrase): Let me tell you, the winner here is the fans. This deal is INCREDIBLE for the fans. Absolutely INCREDIBLE.

He literally just kept repeating the word "incredible" 7 times without once explaining how this was in any way good for the fans.

I guess if you're someone who buys most PPVs then you basically get ESPN+ for free and save a little extra on top of that. But it's just another hurdle for people who only buy the occasional PPV and now you're forced to stream it. From what I've read anyway. I don't think all of the information has been released yet.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#23 » by Headliner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:56 pm

How does it work in Canada where you can’t get ESPN?
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,883

Post#24 » by Jasen777 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:29 am

Headliner wrote:How does it work in Canada where you can’t get ESPN?

I think it's the same as before for Canada.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Jasen777 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:58 am

Anyways once again the UFC is getting a huge chunk of revenue (from ESPN to license the PPVs) and the fighters won't be getting any of it. If only there was some way fighters could collectively bargain with the UFC...
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#26 » by REDDzone » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:43 pm

Ariel confirmed that the early prelims that used to be fightpass exclusive are now available on espn+. As someone who has + but not fightpass, I guess the value of + just went up a little? Otherwise I'm not really sure this affects me at all.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Jasen777 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 am

So Luke Thomas is saying the ESPN PPV licensing deal gives the UFC granted revenue equal to what they would have gotten in the past if they did 500K buys for every PPV, and they have some upside potential. Presumably ESPN paying big to push their streaming (I do wonder how ESPN+ will fit into Disney's overall streaming strategy).

That's the kind of revenue that lets them not need Conor, or any individual fighter.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#28 » by REDDzone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:48 pm

Jasen777 wrote:So Luke Thomas is saying the ESPN PPV licensing deal gives the UFC granted revenue equal to what they would have gotten in the past if they did 500K buys for every PPV, and they have some upside potential. Presumably ESPN paying big to push their streaming (I do wonder how ESPN+ will fit into Disney's overall streaming strategy).

That's the kind of revenue that lets them not need Conor, or any individual fighter.

I unfollowed Luke Thomas and deleted MMAHour from my feeds because he starts off his podcasts with "CESAR...IS...HOME" and signs off with "Stay Frosty".
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#29 » by Jasen777 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm

REDDzone wrote:I unfollowed Luke Thomas and deleted MMAHour from my feeds because he starts off his podcasts with "CESAR...IS...HOME" and signs off with "Stay Frosty".

Just saw it in a random YouTube rec. Where he mostly just pimps satellite radio I believe.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts