ImageImage

2019 Draft Discussion

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion 

Post#81 » by Liver_Pooty » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Cam Reddish is going to be the next player to "fall" to us bringing excitement only to suck.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#82 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm not convinced that Mitch goes for the guy falling the way Cho did.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,832

Post#83 » by Diop » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 pm

when can we draft this guy?

TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

2019 Draft Discussion 

Post#84 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:13 am

My players to watch in the NCAAT:

De’Andre Hunter PF - Virginia

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Has prototypical physical tools for a modern-day NBA forward. Very similar measurements to the likes of OG Anunoby, Danny Granger and Rudy Gay.
- One of the most versatile defenders in the college game. Length, strength and terrific feet helped him switch seamlessly onto big men such as Marvin Bagley II or wings such as Josh Okogie as a key cog for Virginia, the best defensive team in the country last season.
- Was an efficient and prolific scorer coming off the bench last season. Hit 38 percent of his 3s and 76 percent of his free throws. Aggressive pushing the ball off the defensive glass and getting to the free throw line.

Improvement areas
- Played only 20 minutes per game last season. Came out of nowhere and will need to prove he can handle a much bigger role with both of Virginia's starting forwards off to the pro ranks.
- Doesn't have the most fluid or natural shooting stroke. Will have to show that his shooting percentages are sustainable while carrying a bigger load.
- Not a freakish athlete. Posted a negative assist-to-turnover ratio as a freshman. Turning 21 next month, should be a junior agewise.

Jonathan Givony

Jarrett Culver SG - Texas Tech

Pre-Draft Analysis
Strengths
- Excellent size for a guard prospect with a solid 6-9 wingspan. Strong legs. Greatly improved frame. Solid straight-line athlete who can play above the rim in space. Uses his size to score over smaller guards in the post.
- Improved on-ball creator. Playing a lot of point guard as a sophomore. Capable ball-handler who can navigate pick-and-rolls and make basic reads.
- Plus defender who can check up to three positions at the NBA level. Sound technique. Great feet. Competitive rebounder. High-intangible prospect who has been extremely productive as a 19-year-old. High floor in the Josh Hart mold.

Improvement areas
- Jump shot is slow and mechanical. Decent percentages but confidence comes and goes. Hasn't shown NBA range. Turns down pull-ups when teams go under. Overhauled mechanics this past summer. Career 66.3 percent free throw shooter.
- Not overly shifty with the ball. Decision-making also still improving. Will force his way into the paint without much of a plan. Comes to a lot of jump stops in traffic. Relies on power.
- Can add more finesse finishes in the paint. Viewed as more of a role starter than a high-upside prospect long-term.

Mike Schmitz

Nickeil Alexander-Walker SG - Virginia Tech (SLEEPER)

Pre-Draft Analysis
His greatly increased on-ball duties have done wonders for his draft stock, as he looks much more dynamic on the move. Most importantly, he has shown the vision and ambidextrous live-dribble passing that should allow him to play on the ball some in the NBA.

He's rarely sped up and has the physical profile NBA teams are looking for in a big guard. He's an instinctual, competitive defender who should be able to check positions 1-3 as his impressive frame continues to fill out. Alexander-Walker is a high-floor prospect who at the very least can knock down spot 3s, think the game at a high level and defend his position.

P.J. Washington PF - Kentucky (RED FLAG ALERT)

Pre-Draft Analysis
Washington compares physically to Rudy Gay, Jerami Grant, and Kawhi Leonard. Taking into account his athletic testing results brings up the name Noah Vonleh as his top comp.

Washington has enviable physical tools and will almost certainly hear his name called in the first round if he can find a way to use his tremendous measurements to better perform defensively and on the glass, which didn't happen consistently enough as a freshman.

Brandon Clarke PF - Gonzaga

Pre-Draft Analysis
The 22-year-old transfer is outstanding as a pogo-stick shot-blocker and finisher who also shows enough as a passer and perimeter shooter to pique the interest of NBA teams. His energy really sets the tone, and his switch ability and shot-blocking make him a perfect fit in the modern NBA. Clarke could very well earn NBA sleeper status, with teams dubbing him a potential Jordan Bell-like modern big.

http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

I didn’t count Coby White, Rui Hachimura et cetera who I’ve seen plenty of already and wouldn’t mind drafting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#85 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:01 am

New ESPN Mock Draft by Jonathan Givony released on SportsCenter With Scott Van Pelt:

1. Zion - Knicks
2. R.J. Barrett - Cavs
3. Ja Morant - Suns
4. Darius Garland - Bulls
5. De'Andre Hunter - Hawks
6. Cam Reddish - Grizzlies
7. Jarrett Culver - Hawks (From Dallas)
8. Sekou Doumbouya - Wizards
9. Jaxson Hayes - Pelicans
10. Romeo Langford - Lakers

Little (unc) fell to #17 to the Pistons.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
Lwcasu
Pro Prospect
And1: 302

Post#86 » by Lwcasu » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:36 am

TheKingofSting wrote:New ESPN Mock Draft by Jonathan Givony released on SportsCenter With Scott Van Pelt:

1. Zion - Knicks
2. R.J. Barrett - Cavs
3. Ja Morant - Suns

Culver, Garland, Bol Bol, and or Reddish are my wants at the spot we pick. I do NOT want Hacimara, or Little at all. Mixed feelings on Coby White and Langford. I’ll probably not pay attention to basketball next year if we do something stupid and draft Little.
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 906

Post#87 » by MugzZo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:37 pm

I've soured on little. Bol bol and hunter are 2 guys I wouldn't mind drafting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Soul Rebel
Senior
And1: 372

Post#88 » by Soul Rebel » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:28 pm

10 games to go in the season and we are 3 games out of an 8th seed......and 3 games out of the 6th overall pick in the draft.

We've proven since the ASB that we are a subpar team with one proven All-Star, franchise player, and a bunch of miscast inconsistent players.

I hope we play more of Monk, Bacon, WHG, Bridges, Graham and Frank....sit guys like Marvin, Batum, and Parker. Let's fight into the top 6...and maybe we get a ping pong ball to bounce our way into the top-3. Zion is 1 overall, but I'd happily take Morant, Barrett or Hunter.

I really hope we don't go full LOLCats and go .500 with Monk on the bench and select ninth overall.
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#89 » by 316Hornets » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:12 pm

Soul Rebel wrote:10 games to go in the season and we are 3 games out of an 8th seed......and 3 games out of the 6th overall pick in the draft.

We've proven since the ASB that we are a subpar team with one proven All-Star, franchise player, and a bunch of miscast inconsistent players.

I hope we play more of Monk, Bacon, WHG, Bridges, Graham and Frank....sit guys like Marvin, Batum, and Parker. Let's fight into the top 6...and maybe we get a ping pong ball to bounce our way into the top-3. Zion is 1 overall, but I'd happily take Morant, Barrett or Hunter.

I really hope we don't go full LOLCats and go .500 with Monk on the bench and select ninth overall.

Are you telling me you aren't excited about a Charlotte Hornets team featuring Nic Batum and the #12 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft?
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
BeesWax
General Manager
And1: 1,660

Post#90 » by BeesWax » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 pm

Lwcasu wrote:
TheKingofSting wrote:New ESPN Mock Draft by Jonathan Givony released on SportsCenter With Scott Van Pelt:

1. Zion - Knicks
2. R.J. Barrett - Cavs
3. Ja Morant - Suns

Culver, Garland, Bol Bol, and or Reddish are my wants at the spot we pick. I do NOT want Hacimara, or Little at all. Mixed feelings on Coby White and Langford. I’ll probably not pay attention to basketball next year if we do something stupid and draft Little.

I am curious why you would be high on Reddish and low on Little at this point. Reddish I feel has shown even less in more opportunity that Little has. He is not caught on a experienced team behind seniors and he is much needed as a scorer and he has shot terribly all season. Both of them have had bad years overall but I still think I would go Little over Reddish at this point. Now there are a number of other players including White that I want over both but those two have had about equally as bad years.
Spoiler:
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#91 » by Liver_Pooty » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 pm

Reddish hasnt shot the ball that well this year, but the ability is definitely there. Little cant really shoot at all. I pass on both.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#92 » by BeesWax » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Liver_Pooty wrote:Reddish hasnt shot the ball that well this year, but the ability is definitely there. Little cant really shoot at all. I pass on both.

I don't disagree with passing on both but Little has been better at more things than Reddish has this season. I personally want some players who have some positional flexibility and can play on both ends. I would like Hunter or White type of player around our pick.
Spoiler:
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,237

Post#93 » by amcoolio » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 pm

I want Ja Morant. Lottery gods have to help us, we've suffered far too long.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
BeesWax
General Manager

Post#94 » by BeesWax » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:40 pm

Hey if Chicago got Rose and Cleveland got LeBron why can't the swing it so we can get Zion?
Spoiler:
bravor
Starter
And1: 737

Post#95 » by bravor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Need to find a way to get both Reddick and Clarke (who is potentially another 'Collins' type prospect (talking about the draft position, obviously Collins is all about offense for now). But as much as i wish some decent two ways wing, i d rather have a really promising pf/c and Clarke has the potential to be special (on both ends). Maybe a Millsap ceiling is too high (his offense remains a work in progress) but he has the potential to be the best big from next season's roster even as a rookie.

And yes, even if the Hornets get one of the first two picks, i wish they consider trading to get two valuable first picks. Need more assets wether Kemba moves or not.
bravor
Starter

Post#96 » by bravor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:23 pm

Clarke's last game against Baylor : 36pts (15/18 fg, 6/8 ft's), 8reb, 3assists, 5 bks...
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#97 » by tondi123 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:16 pm

Id be a fan of White if we end up picking around 10, but its looking like he will be long gone by then.
penquin11
Sixth Man
And1: 148

Post#98 » by penquin11 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:22 am

bravor wrote:Need to find a way to get both Reddick and Clarke (who is potentially another 'Collins' type prospect (talking about the draft position, obviously Collins is all about offense for now). But as much as i wish some decent two ways wing, i d rather have a really promising pf/c and Clarke has the potential to be special (on both ends). Maybe a Millsap ceiling is too high (his offense remains a work in progress) but he has the potential to be the best big from next season's roster even as a rookie.

And yes, even if the Hornets get one of the first two picks, i wish they consider trading to get two valuable first picks. Need more assets wether Kemba moves or not.

I disagree entirely. If we get the 1st or 2nd pick in this years draft then we BETTER keep it. This draft has talent all throughout it, but the talent at the top is unbelievable this year. You have Zion Williams who makes it look easy on a nightly basis. You have Ja Morant, whose vision and athleticism are incredible. Even if you look beyond that "tier" of player and we ended up with the number 3-5 pick we could potentially nab one of RJ Barrett, Rui Hachimura, or Coby White....

This years draft is just dripping with talent.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:no, the DB's will just be thinking "damn, I thought that was going to be a run!" as they easily recover to intercept a Ponder pass 10 yards off the mark
UNCNYC
Assistant Coach
And1: 868

Post#99 » by UNCNYC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Diop wrote:when can we draft this guy?

A Diop cannot recommend a Diop. Tampering :noway:
UPDATED 2-18-2024

These are my top five for who I want with pick #1 in order

BuB Carrington
Ryan Dunn
Dalton Knect
Kevin McCullar
Bobi Klintman
bravor
Starter

Post#100 » by bravor » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:32 pm

penquin11 wrote:
bravor wrote:Need to find a way to get both Reddick and Clarke (who is potentially another 'Collins' type prospect (talking about the draft position, obviously Collins is all about offense for now). But as much as i wish some decent two ways wing, i d rather have a really promising pf/c and Clarke has the potential to be special (on both ends). Maybe a Millsap ceiling is too high (his offense remains a work in progress) but he has the potential to be the best big from next season's roster even as a rookie.

I disagree entirely. If we get the 1st or 2nd pick in this years draft then we BETTER keep it. This draft has talent all throughout it, but the talent at the top is unbelievable this year. You have Zion Williams who makes it look easy on a nightly basis. You have Ja Morant, whose vision and athleticism are incredible. Even if you look beyond that "tier" of player and we ended up with the number 3-5 pick we could potentially nab one of RJ Barrett, Rui Hachimura, or Coby White....

This years draft is just dripping with talent.

Sure, i have no problem with your opinion, and to be in the minority hoping for the result i mentioned. But i really wish to see Clarke in a Hornet uniform and it won't happen unless they get another 1st pick

Return to Charlotte Hornets