316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Re: We Want the Monk: The Malik Monk Thread 

Post#1181 » by 316Hornets » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:13 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:"he has it out for monk"

if that were the case he'd have been traded last year. you gotta stop trying to insert reality tv story lines into stuff

It's not just Monk, almost everybody we've drafted. Last season, it was Cliff's agenda. Well, now we see JB doing the exact same thing so somebody higher up is calling the shots. With what we've seen out of Lebron, it's safe to assume MJ has some type of influence over the team. I find it especially odd against Monk since he has shown cases of knocking down shots and has fan support. Even if he gets beat 10 times a game, if we are going to lose anyhow, why not put him out there?

:lol: what does lebron have to do with anything :lol:

as for monk, he's had plenty of chances to showcase what he can do this year. he'll have a hot two weeks then be a complete net negative on the court. i'd say maybe he needs more time in the g-league, but the last time we sent him there he took 20 something threes in one game to show how seriously he takes the practice environment. i don't mind playing him if we're tanking, but even then i'd rather not see his value go any lower than where its currently at... but more than anything else, bacon and graham deserve his minutes.

You mean Nike #2 wouldn't be friends with Nike #1? They probably have similar business education lessons.

That's the problem right there. Why are we worried about 2017 #11 trade value? We haven't played him but 17.6 mpg this season and that's been flat lining lately. Why keep giving shots to Batum and Marvin? Get those guys off the court already and give Monk their shots.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager
And1: 4,946

Post#1182 » by DY_nasty » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 pm

316Hornets wrote:
DY_nasty wrote:
316Hornets wrote:
It's not just Monk, almost everybody we've drafted. Last season, it was Cliff's agenda. Well, now we see JB doing the exact same thing so somebody higher up is calling the shots. With what we've seen out of Lebron, it's safe to assume MJ has some type of influence over the team. I find it especially odd against Monk since he has shown cases of knocking down shots and has fan support. Even if he gets beat 10 times a game, if we are going to lose anyhow, why not put him out there?

:lol: what does lebron have to do with anything :lol:

as for monk, he's had plenty of chances to showcase what he can do this year. he'll have a hot two weeks then be a complete net negative on the court. i'd say maybe he needs more time in the g-league, but the last time we sent him there he took 20 something threes in one game to show how seriously he takes the practice environment. i don't mind playing him if we're tanking, but even then i'd rather not see his value go any lower than where its currently at... but more than anything else, bacon and graham deserve his minutes.

You mean Nike #2 wouldn't be friends with Nike #1? They probably have similar business education lessons.

That's the problem right there. Why are we worried about 2017 #11 trade value? We haven't played him but 17.6 mpg this season and that's been flat lining lately. Why keep giving shots to Batum and Marvin? Get those guys off the court already and give Monk their shots.

lately the point was to win games

if you look at monk's performance he pretty much doesn't help us do anything. minutes don't make guys better.
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,564

Post#1183 » by fatlever » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:50 pm

Seeing monk get some extended action last night reminded me of some of the parts of his game that frustrate me. His passing is so incredibly basic and predictable. Almost every pass he makes is when he drives to the right and then passes with his right hand across his body to someone to his left. He does it over and over. In the past he probably got away with at the high school level and even in college but at this level it seems like a 50/50 deal. The other thing is his Tunnel Vision on his drives where he'll try to dribble full speed up the court, have out of control and then try to finish at The Rim where he is easily bumped off balance.

The game versus the Wolves was a very good balance of his pros and cons. He got hot and hit four threes which was nice and finished one layup in traffic. He also had a stretch in the second half where he made about 6 sketchy plays in a row resulting in turnovers out of control shots, tipped passes.

He desperately needs to add some weight and strength to his frame this summer and to also improve at least one aspect of his game other than three point shooting. He's so below average at everything else that when he's not hitting at least 40% of his threes he becomes a liability.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,142

Post#1184 » by Rich4114 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:49 am

fatlever wrote:Seeing monk get some extended action last night reminded me of some of the parts of his game that frustrate me. His passing is so incredibly basic and predictable. Almost every pass he makes is when he drives to the right and then passes with his right hand across his body to someone to his left. He does it over and over. In the past he probably got away with at the high school level and even in college but at this level it seems like a 50/50 deal. The other thing is his Tunnel Vision on his drives where he'll try to dribble full speed up the court, have out of control and then try to finish at The Rim where he is easily bumped off balance.

The game versus the Wolves was a very good balance of his pros and cons. He got hot and hit four threes which was nice and finished one layup in traffic. He also had a stretch in the second half where he made about 6 sketchy plays in a row resulting in turnovers out of control shots, tipped passes.

He desperately needs to add some weight and strength to his frame this summer and to also improve at least one aspect of his game other than three point shooting. He's so below average at everything else that when he's not hitting at least 40% of his threes he becomes a liability.

Sent from my SM-G920V using RealGM mobile app

He’s a frustrating player so far because he’s got ability but he’s not really putting it all together on a consistent basis. I also heard Dell mention the other night that Monk needs to hit the weight room this summer and bulk up. So I think everything you said is pretty spot on.

Problem is we will be running out of time soon. If he can’t make a leap next season then the chances of him being vastly different from what we see right now are low. The good news is that he’s still young and seems to have improved from last year. He just has to put in a lot of work.
Najee12
Pro Prospect
And1: 878

Malik Monk's potential 

Post#1185 » by Najee12 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:17 pm

Most one-and-done players need three to five years to realize his full development, and Malik Monk is no exception. Very few of these players come in as close to finished products and even the one-and-done players who had some level of productivity early on were a long way from fully polished (see John Wall, for example). People need to have a wait-and-see approach with Monk; the question is more what will be like in another two to three years.

As for NBA potential, the player I said who would be an optimistically realistic comparison coming into the draft is Lou Williams. Monk is listed as 6-foot-3 but he looks shorter than that to me. It seems that he needs the ball in his hands to score or initiate some offense and in some of his better games it seems he needs a lot of dribbles to get set up to score. Basically, it seems Monk is best served as an isolation-heavy, one-on-one scorer. Monk doesn't have the frame to get bigger, though he could get stronger so he doesn't get knocked off balanced when he drives to the lane.

I wasn't a fan of Monk when Charlotte selected him (I saw him as being a too-small shooting guard who had no potential to play another position, meaning he maxs out as a quality sixth man), but I tend to take a wait-and-see approach with players coming into the NBA one year after high school. If people are having this same conversation about Monk in 2021 or 2022, then people can call it a bad draft selection. But personally, Charlotte needs to develop Monk as a sixth man playing 24 to 28 minutes per game.
Kevin Johnson isn't "Michael Jordan" famous ... he's "Mitch Richmond" famous
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#1186 » by 316Hornets » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:14 pm

We know Monk is a shooter. He's not going to learn anything on the bench. For better or worse, the guy should be getting consistent minutes.

I honestly have no idea why we are playing Frank at all. He will sign with any other team this off-season because he already feels disrespected here.

If we want to avoid the same mistake with Monk, he should be getting consistent minutes for the rest of the year.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1187 » by DY_nasty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:03 pm

frank is the best center we got right now, sucks to admit

that's really all it is. biz gets cooked and can't get the points back. willie is beyond trash. that leaves frank - and JB will still go small in a heartbeat if things go south... i wouldn't compare the situation to monk

plus graham and bacon are legitimately better than monk too. if monk isn't hitting shots then he's beyond useless on the court. we aren't tanking yet so it is what it is. MPG does not make you a better player. if anything it just reinforces bad habits if you're not in the right mindstate to learn while you're out there. his streakiness and repetitive mistakes make it clear that he's not
Benjamin Linus
Veteran
And1: 1,268

Post#1188 » by Benjamin Linus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:04 pm

With Parker gone, Lamb most likely gone, and Kemba possibly gone it looks like Monk will have a larger role next season. His minutes were so erratic last year, at times getting like 5 mpg. So I was curious how Malik did when we actually got minutes, so I opened his game log in an excel file, sorted it by minutes and cut off everything below 20 minutes. He had 30 games where he played more than 20 minutes and he put up 14 ppg & 2.2 apg on 42 fg% and 37 3p% in those games. Per 36 of 21.5 points & 3.4 assists. Had an overall plus/minus of +56 for whatever that's worth.

Which really isn't that bad. I guess you could argue that maybe when he played alright, coach left him in and when he was playing poorly, coach pulled him. Or maybe he was putting up stats in garbage time. Or maybe some players play better when given the minutes to get into rhythm.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#1189 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:09 pm

You can't really judge Monk by his shooting. It's his best asset. Monk turned the ball over a *lot* in the pick and roll. I'm struggling to find where I saw that, but it was bad. Horrifically bad.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,931

Post#1190 » by JDR720 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:11 pm

His best case is a Lou Williams bench gunner. I think.
predators
Senior
And1: 319

Post#1191 » by predators » Mon Jul 1, 2019 2:17 pm

Honestly Monk should be blowing JJ Reddick up. He's the only 2 I can think of with t-rex arms to really be a decent starter in the league.
Great
Bench Warmer
And1: 65

Post#1192 » by Great » Tue Jul 2, 2019 4:26 pm

A designated hitter that’s hitting .215 gets sent to the minors.

A 39% shooter who doesn’t play make well, defend well, and has short arms offers nothing.

Send Monk to Greensboro to develop and master his craft.

Minutes are earned.
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1193 » by DY_nasty » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:40 pm

greensboro? if that's even on the table at this point just trade him and cut losses
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,180

Post#1194 » by KembaWalker » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:15 pm

they were trashing on monk yesterday durin the game lmao
DY_nasty
General Manager

Post#1195 » by DY_nasty » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:13 pm

KembaWalker wrote:they were trashing on monk yesterday durin the game lmao

it was extremely unfair too and kinda bush league imo

3rd year guy doesn't want to be in summer league - that's completely fine. especially when he's been injured in it before

"i dont know its just a way for the franchise to see who's really invested" :roll:
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,142

Post#1196 » by Rich4114 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:46 pm

DY_nasty wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:they were trashing on monk yesterday durin the game lmao

it was extremely unfair too and kinda bush league imo

3rd year guy doesn't want to be in summer league - that's completely fine. especially when he's been injured in it before

"i dont know its just a way for the franchise to see who's really invested" :roll:

Where was it said that Monk isn’t in summer league because he didn’t want to be in it? For what it’s worth, I don’t think he or Bacon should be in it. Summer league is to evaluate your young talent or to uncover additional young talent. Summer league isn’t telling us anything we don’t know already about those guys.
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#1197 » by Splitta » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:32 pm

Monk probably needed it more than Bacon and I believe Mitch indicated that he would like him to participate. As bad as Monk has been the last two years, he probably should be playing whether he is a 3rd year player or not. He does not seem to be serious about his NBA career IMO.
LurkCobain
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#1198 » by LurkCobain » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:45 pm

Splitta wrote:Monk probably needed it more than Bacon and I believe Mitch indicated that he would like him to participate. As bad as Monk has been the last two years, he probably should be playing whether he is a 3rd year player or not. He does not seem to be serious about his NBA career IMO.

Mitxh is about to cancel him. I bet money hes traded by feb.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,302

Post#1199 » by MasterIchiro » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:24 pm

LurkCobain wrote:
Splitta wrote:Monk probably needed it more than Bacon and I believe Mitch indicated that he would like him to participate. As bad as Monk has been the last two years, he probably should be playing whether he is a 3rd year player or not. He does not seem to be serious about his NBA career IMO.

Mitxh is about to cancel him. I bet money hes traded by feb.

LOL no chance in hell.
It has been written...
catch20two
RealGM
And1: 4,666

Post#1200 » by catch20two » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:25 pm

I concur with those saying that Monk will likely be traded. I don’t see how this don’t put him in the doghouse unless he discussed with Kupchak beforehand with mutual reasoning and agreement not to play in summer league. It’s a bad look that he opted not to play yet he still traveled to Vegas likely to attend all of the festivities where Instagram hoes were looking for basketball players.
They will wage war against the Lamb but the Lamb will triumph them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings - and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers." Revelation 17:14 (NIV)

Return to Charlotte Hornets