ImageImageImage

Stillwater's monster draft thread (consolidated)

Moderator: ijspeelman

Since these threads have been combined who you got at 5

Culver
43%
Sekou
4%
Hunter
14%
Hayes
4%
Porter K
7%
Garland
7%
Bitdatze
4%
White
No votes
Bol
7%
other
11%

Total votes: 28

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: tank thread/ draft watch 

Post#101 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:58 am

Holding out hope they keep losing at the end of games to retain the 3rd worst record with a slim chance of getting the 2nd still if they lose out and PHO wins a couple as opposed to being in the situation where they are easily pushed to 4th by Chicago. But if they exceed expectations I find it highly unlikely they don't end up 4th and possibly 5th if ATL tanks down the stretch to push CLE & Dallas back.
Regardless they won't lose the pick to ATL even at 5 it can't fall out of the top 10.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#102 » by Stillwater » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:06 am

Some players to keep an eye on in the sweet 16 for the Houston pick looking to be at best 24 unless they choke down the stretch or rest Harden.
Chuma Okeke SF/pf Auburn high level defender high iq very good outside shooter and rebounder.
Admiral Schofield sf/sg Tennessee similar skills to Okeke with a strong leadership record.
Louis King sf/pf Oregon fluid long athlete with solid fundamentals and 2 way upside.
Kenny Wooten C/pf Oregon...Kings teammate is an elite shot blocker rim runner only scratching surface of potential offensively.
Tyler Herro sg KY. Excellent size for position solid shooter,cutter and has decent bbiq
M.Kabengele pf Fla St. Decent 2 way player
With solid skill set and iq
Naz Reid C LSU solid fundamentals and athletically gifted that can hit 3s needs work as a defender
I Brazdeikis sf Michigan high iq prospect very good 3 point shooter with decent motor /aggressive play style
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#103 » by Stillwater » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:29 pm

Haven't posted one in awhile; so if the picks stayed as they are and the season ends like this I have the Cavs getting Barrett and a freak athlete rim protector :
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/565397/
I would also look at some more versatile centers that can shoot some like Reed and Fernando, but the other viable option I would look at seriously is a veteran junior or senior pg like Justin Robinson VT or Corey Davis Houston at 23-25
I really liked Okeke as an option for CLE there as well and if the injury isn't a poor outlook scenario I would definitely grab him instead.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#104 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:45 am

Bulls beat WAS tonight so I think the Cavs are locked into 3...who knows maybe the Suns will pull off a win against the Jazz if Jimmer goes off then we can start thinking about that 2 spot
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#105 » by Stillwater » Thu Apr 4, 2019 6:40 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/567812/
SO here is my current revised mock now that the tourney is basically over considering who I think will stay in the draft and where teams could be picking.
Players like Okeke due to injury could return or risk falling to 2nd, others like THT,Gafford and Dort who will likely fall to early 2nd if they stay, and some others who will test the water and highly possible to return like Jones,Smart,Jalen Smith,Halliburton,Dosumno etc omitted.
I could see Bruno Fernando going mid 1st as well depending on team needs, but think he could get pushed to the early 2nd same goes for prospects like Schofield,Jontay,Cam Johnson etc who have a wide range of landing spots from 20-40.
I have HS player Jalen Lecque getting a first round promise and going 30th to the Bucks. ( could go 15 picks higher)
of course he is not in the machine yet so Le Captain? 8-) is the name there
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#106 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 6, 2019 4:34 am

Cavs and Suns now have the same record after Suns beat the tanking Pels...this is looking pretty good
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#107 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 6, 2019 5:01 am

Unless the tiebreaker rules changed with the other lottery revisions;
TIEBREAKER ISSUES INVOLVING LOTTERY PICKS

For lottery teams who are tied, the basic lottery seed from 1-14 is first resolved by random drawing process, so that all teams enter the lottery with a defined position from 1 to 14.

But when it comes time for the lottery itself, each tied team receives the average of the total number of combinations for the positions that they occupy.

But with the top 3 spots having the same % of Lottery balls, It is irrelevant this year if the Cavs are 2nd or 3rd except that they cannot fall as far at 2 as they can from 3 by teams leapfrogging them via the lottery.

In this draft that could prove significant if they do get pushed down
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,286

Post#108 » by baldur » Sat Apr 6, 2019 11:50 am

Stillwater wrote:Cavs and Suns now have the same record after Suns beat the tanking Pels...this is looking pretty good

does it matter as long as they have a worst 3 record? no.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#109 » by Stillwater » Sat Apr 6, 2019 1:19 pm

baldur wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Cavs and Suns now have the same record after Suns beat the tanking Pels...this is looking pretty good

Does it change how far they can fall? Yes :wink:
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,286

Post#110 » by baldur » Sun Apr 7, 2019 7:19 am

Stillwater wrote:
baldur wrote:

Does it change how far they can fall? Yes :wink:

Thanks, I missed that.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#111 » by Stillwater » Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:09 pm

So with 1 game left against a team still in the playoff hunt, I love our chances at the 2 spot and are locked into no worse than 3rd before the lotto.
After it's said and done the Cavs have a great chance to add a high upside prospect, and I couldn't ask for much more than that as a fan esp considering they could have been a treadmill team this year if Love wasn't hurt.
Who they can get, or chose to take is obviously a crap-shoot as it always is.
I'm one for taking the best prospect regardless of position and making it work this early in a rebuild. I'd rather have Ja and Sexton in the back court than take RJ or Culver if they don't consider them the better prospects...same goes with Barrett over Ja if thats how they feel.
I don't want them to settle for fit. I think it's a poor way of rebuilding.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#112 » by Crives » Tue Apr 9, 2019 4:55 pm

Suns fan here. Good luck tonight! Hope you pull a win against the hornets. :wink: :wink:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#113 » by Stillwater » Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:11 pm

Crives wrote:Suns fan here. Good luck tonight! Hope you pull a win against the hornets. :wink: :wink:

yeah pretty unlikely given Charlotte is still in the playoff hunt with every reason to win and cleveland still full on tank mode with every reason to lose.I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs tank big time tonight and throw CLE a bone.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#114 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 am

It's finished.Image
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#115 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:58 am

Stillwater
RealGM

Post#116 » by Stillwater » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:10 pm

So on Friday the NBA will break all draft ties with a random drawing. Tied teams with different % get the avg. of the total number of combos for those tied pos. with winner of the draw getting any extra combos in odd number splits.
Cavs and Suns have same lottery odds so that won't be the case for them...but as noted the advantage also determines the order they pick if bumped down.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,907

Post#117 » by tundraknight » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:21 am

Stillwater wrote:So on Friday the NBA will break all draft ties with a random drawing. Tied teams with different % get the avg. of the total number of combos for those tied pos. with winner of the draw getting any extra combos in odd number splits.
Cavs and Suns have same lottery odds so that won't be the case for them...but as noted the advantage also determines the order they pick if bumped down.

Yeah and along with finding out wether the Cavaliers Pick starts out at 2nd or 3rd overall pre lottery, we’ll also find out if the Rockets pick will be 25th or 26th overall (tied with Portland).

Obviously hoping for 25th for that pick. One spot higher for a late 1st might not seem like much of a difference, but you just never know.

Also I know there’s been trade ideas thrown around in the past to package that Rockets pick with JR’s expiring to try and move up if they eat a worse contract in return. I’d love to move up with the Rockets pick to nab a SG with tons of upside like Kevin Porter JR or Ochai Agbaji (if he declares) but that might be wishful thinking.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#118 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 am

tundraknight wrote:
Stillwater wrote:So on Friday the NBA will break all draft ties with a random drawing. Tied teams with different % get the avg. of the total number of combos for those tied pos. with winner of the draw getting any extra combos in odd number splits.

Yeah and along with finding out wether the Cavaliers Pick starts out at 2nd or 3rd overall pre lottery, we’ll also find out if the Rockets pick will be 25th or 26th overall (tied with Portland).

Obviously hoping for 25th for that pick. One spot higher for a late 1st might not seem like much of a difference, but you just never know.

Also I know there’s been trade ideas thrown around in the past to package that Rockets pick with JR’s expiring to try and move up if they eat a worse contract in return. I’d love to move up with the Rockets pick to nab a SG with tons of upside like Kevin Porter JR or Ochai Agbaji (if he declares) but that might be wishful thinking.

yep a ton of tiebreakers today, not sure when it hits twitter.
I'm looking at Okpala or KIng as my top targets now that Okeke is injured if I'm the Cavs with that Houston pick if neither falls then idk. plenty of quality rim runner projects like Queta,Claxton & Gafford that could be appealing.
Porter I have been high on all season, but he probably doesn't check enough boxes to go early at this point and I doubt he falls out of the late lottery.( I don't think the Cavs can get a lottery pick for Smith)
I doubt Ogbaji declares,his flashes in small windows as a first round upside pick were there esp given he was probably the most under recruited potential 1st rounder after a small sample size, but my guess is unless he gets a promise he returns.
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Post#119 » by Revenged25 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Stillwater wrote:
tundraknight wrote:

I'm looking at Okpala or KIng as my top targets now that Okeke is injured if I'm the Cavs with that Houston pick if neither falls then idk. plenty of quality rim runner projects like Queta,Claxton & Gafford that could be appealing.
Porter I have been high on all season, but he probably doesn't check enough boxes to go early at this point and I doubt he falls out of the late lottery.( I don't think the Cavs can get a lottery pick for Smith)
I doubt Ogbaji declares,his flashes in small windows as a first round upside pick were there esp given he was probably the most under recruited potential 1st rounder after a small sample size, but my guess is unless he gets a promise he returns.

If Okeke declares I would still think taking him with Houston's pick isn't a bad idea. We have a logjam at PF for one more year so letting him sit for the year, develop in practice and with NBA training facilities could pay off dividends for the Cavs. I'm not as concerned taking players with injuries with late 1st round picks.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#120 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
tundraknight wrote:

If Okeke declares I would still think taking him with Houston's pick isn't a bad idea. We have a logjam at PF for one more year so letting him sit for the year, develop in practice and with NBA training facilities could pay off dividends for the Cavs. I'm not as concerned taking players with injuries with late 1st round picks.

True, and it could be a possible option, depends on who else is there. Okeke was proving to be a potential late lottery pick before the injury,so if he projects to impact the game in a similar way to OG Anunoby , I would definitely consider draft and stash

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers