ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,316

Re: UCF Basketball (9-seed) vs VCU (8-seed), Fri @ 9:40pm 

Post#621 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:34 pm

What an absolute heartbreaker.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#622 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:35 pm

That hurts. Hell of a game tho
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#623 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:37 pm

Ucf player got totally shoved on that rebound off the Zion "miss". What a b.s. way to lose.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#624 » by MoMM » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:Ucf player got totally shoved on that rebound off the Zion "miss". What a b.s. way to lose.

If Fall hadn't made that foul, they would have won the game.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,603

Post#625 » by 3ddman23 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:44 pm

Such a heart breaking lose. That miss ally oop dunk attempt was the game changer. They should have pulled that back out and got a better shot. You cant take that risk in such an important game at that moment in the game.
GO MAGIC
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#626 » by EAS Law » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:06 am

Proud of UCF. That was totally heartbreaking. So many “what if”’s that would have changed the outcome.

I have nothing against Zion and I hope he has a great career. I can’t stand ESPN and that was partly why I wanted us to win so badly. They have a way of making you dislike players with NO fault on the player.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,700

Post#627 » by Viper1500 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 am

Heart crushing loss... great game though. UCF really making some noise in the sports scene.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#628 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 am

3ddman23 wrote:Such a heart breaking lose. That miss ally oop dunk attempt was the game changer. They should have pulled that back out and got a better shot. You cant take that risk in such an important game at that moment in the game.
I dont even know how he missed that.

MoMM wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Ucf player got totally shoved on that rebound off the Zion "miss". What a b.s. way to lose.

If Fall hadn't made that foul, they would have won the game.

Yeah he pissed me off too. Bringing his arms down.
#2A
#Adopt
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#629 » by craig01 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:24 am

Great effort by the coaching staff and team.

Ucf did not win, but this was a great game.

Thank you for exceeding expectations.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#630 » by OrlDave » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 am

We could have won if...
1) We made the alley.
2) What appeared to be charge from Zion onto BJ was called (or had they called a foul on BJ even since the and-1 wouldn't have happened)
3) Fall had just let him score and not fouled.
4) We got the rebound on the missed FT
5) BJ made his shot
6) AD had made the tip.

So many chances. That said, I thought what Coach K said at the end was classy. He seemed legitimately broken up for his friend.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#631 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:58 am

Really proud of those guys, that is all.

Duke is very lucky, I'll leave it at that.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
gom
Heat forum: Expert Predictor
And1: 42,453

Post#632 » by gom » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:08 am

OrlDave wrote:We could have won if...
1) We made the alley.
2) What appeared to be charge from Zion onto BJ was called (or had they called a foul on BJ even since the and-1 wouldn't have happened)
5) BJ made his shot
6) AD had made the tip.

So many chances. That said, I thought what Coach K said at the end was classy. He seemed legitimately broken up for his friend.

A heartbreaker. I love this team. Onward.
I remember 11-30 with these guys. ^
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#633 » by nymets1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 am

We got 2 guys I think that are supposed to be added to the team once those 5 seniors clear off the roster. Darin Green and Tony Johnson those 2 are supposedly very good. Tacko's replacement is already listed on the roster Yuat Alok. Green, Johnson and Alok are 3 key guys coming in. I'm not familar with Doumbia and Dre Fuller.

We had a lot of chances to beat Duke last night at least 6 chances probably more. The way we lost obviously hurts. But the good is we lost to the best team in the college basketball and this game really helped draw a lot of attention towards UCF basketball. Aubrey's tip came off the rim, but it didn't circle around the whole rim and came out so it could have been worse. Aubrey's miss tip in is similar in other sports:

Baseball- A batter appears to hit a home run and gets robbed at the wall by the outfielder for an out.
Football- Running back, QB or Wide Receiver is about to run the ball in the end zone and gets stopped at the 1 or 2 yard line, loss of downs
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#634 » by dsg2003mach1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:51 pm

OrlDave wrote:We could have won if...
1) We made the alley.
5) BJ made his shot
6) AD had made the tip.

All the missed chances is what makes this one so hard to swallow. In the end still a huge step forward for the program to take Duke to the wire like that
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#635 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:58 pm

Heart wrenching way to lose. A few things.

1. Aubrey's missed layup. Would've put us up 6, instead Zion goes down and cuts it to 1 (forget if it was a 3 or another And-1). I don't mind the play, Aubrey just lost the ball, it was a great pass and he should've had it.

2. There were two fouls on that free throw against Duke that didn't get called. One guy had Collin Smith in an elbow lock and RJ Barrett shoved Aubrey in the back. For crying out loud Barrett had NO ONE next to him when he caught it, how the refs don't call that is mind blowing, and how the announcers just ignored it completely was insulting to every viewer's intelligence. Not saying they need to rip the refs, but say they missed it instead of slurping Duke's rebounding effort.

3. Tacko made a lot of dumb fouls, but he could've been called for more. He brought his arms down A LOT and the refs let a lot go. Tacko should've played smarter and showed more restraint at times. Having said that he still played his best ball of his career in these two games IMO. He was dominant when he was in the game. I'm going to miss watching him clog the lane and shut teams out.

4. Duke is a terrible 3-point shooting team and had a great night. It was funny to watch UCF dare them to shoot the 3s. Allen was literally taunting them to shoot it.

Read on Twitter

5. Aubrey had the game of his career. I can't believe that tip didn't go. The basketball Gods were cruel.

6. Zion is legit. I know he bulldozed his way a bunch last night, but that guy can flat out ball, and I had no idea he could shoot that well.

7. It's sad to know that was the last time we'll see this group. The team will be so drastically different next year.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Post#636 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Oh, and this one has been overlooked/lost in the shuffle. But Chad Brown was fouled going up for a put back. There was a timeout and when the game resumed he only got a 1-and-1 for some reason. He missed and Duke got the rebound. I was flabbergasted. We were only up 1 at the time. Not sure if everyone just forgot that he was shooting or if the ref called it wrong but it was a head scratcher. (note: I know i'm complaining a lot about the refs but I don't fault them for the loss).
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#637 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:52 pm

3ddman23 wrote:Such a heart breaking lose. That miss ally oop dunk attempt was the game changer. They should have pulled that back out and got a better shot. You cant take that risk in such an important game at that moment in the game.

Oh man that a close one. Got to give this UCF team and coaching staff tremendous credit for playing like they did. They could have allowed the game to get out of hand several times but always kept fighting back and even took control of the game until Tacko fouled out. To that botched alley op attempt, it was a 2-1 fast break, you take those odds every time and go for the quick bucket. That would have been a 6 pt lead with less than 2 minutes left and that would have been tough for them to overcome. Instead Duke comes back and hits a 3. Just wished the pass would have been a lil better or he would have adjusted and gone for layup instead of the dunk. Also complete fail on our part to botch the box out on that final free throw. Both our guys just got dominated on that rebound.

Exciting game, even my 85 year old grandma who has no idea what is college basketball was going crazy late in the game.
aka: prorl
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM

Post#638 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Oh, and this one has been overlooked/lost in the shuffle. But Chad Brown was fouled going up for a put back. There was a timeout and when the game resumed he only got a 1-and-1 for some reason. He missed and Duke got the rebound. I was flabbergasted. We were only up 1 at the time. Not sure if everyone just forgot that he was shooting or if the ref called it wrong but it was a head scratcher. (note: I know i'm complaining a lot about the refs but I don't fault them for the loss).
Also that Fall dunk that was reviewed for 5 minutes. Duke player was trying,to hold his right arm down. I think the refs called it fair, I just think they missed some crucial ones. The blatant shove on the rebound was a key play for me. I know Tako shouldn't have fouled but that should've been a 2 pt play not 4.

#2A
#Adopt
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Post#639 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:29 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Oh, and this one has been overlooked/lost in the shuffle. But Chad Brown was fouled going up for a put back. There was a timeout and when the game resumed he only got a 1-and-1 for some reason. He missed and Duke got the rebound. I was flabbergasted. We were only up 1 at the time. Not sure if everyone just forgot that he was shooting or if the ref called it wrong but it was a head scratcher. (note: I know i'm complaining a lot about the refs but I don't fault them for the loss).

Does anyone think the NCAA with the mass media who wants Duke with their prized star talent and their Zion Cam to lose this early in the tournament? The fix was in. UCF still almost beatem.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#640 » by nymets1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:54 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Heart wrenching way to lose. A few things.

1. Aubrey's missed layup. Would've put us up 6, instead Zion goes down and cuts it to 1 (forget if it was a 3 or another And-1). I don't mind the play, Aubrey just lost the ball, it was a great pass and he should've had it.

2. There were two fouls on that free throw against Duke that didn't get called. One guy had Collin Smith in an elbow lock and RJ Barrett shoved Aubrey in the back. For crying out loud Barrett had NO ONE next to him when he caught it, how the refs don't call that is mind blowing, and how the announcers just ignored it completely was insulting to every viewer's intelligence. Not saying they need to rip the refs, but say they missed it instead of slurping Duke's rebounding effort.

3. Tacko made a lot of dumb fouls, but he could've been called for more. He brought his arms down A LOT and the refs let a lot go. Tacko should've played smarter and showed more restraint at times. Having said that he still played his best ball of his career in these two games IMO. He was dominant when he was in the game. I'm going to miss watching him clog the lane and shut teams out.

4. Duke is a terrible 3-point shooting team and had a great night. It was funny to watch UCF dare them to shoot the 3s. Allen was literally taunting them to shoot it.

Read on Twitter

5. Aubrey had the game of his career. I can't believe that tip didn't go. The basketball Gods were cruel.

6. Zion is legit. I know he bulldozed his way a bunch last night, but that guy can flat out ball, and I had no idea he could shoot that well.

7. It's sad to know that was the last time we'll see this group. The team will be so drastically different next year.

I've heard someone say if your going to make the alley oop play you have to finish that. I've heard Dayon Griffin get a little criticized for not pulling the ball back out and drain clock but when I saw Dayon's alley oop pass it was right there, That was about Aubrey missing the dunk/alley oop.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"

Return to Orlando Magic