ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 4.0 

Post#181 » by closg00 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 am

Do you guys have think Bruno is one-and-done?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,967

Post#182 » by DCZards » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:53 am

closg00 wrote:Do you guys have think Bruno is one-and-done?

Bruno is a sophomore. So it would be two-and-done. And, yes, I expect him to enter the NBA draft. He initially entered the draft after last season but then decided against it. He's projected to be a top 15-20 pick so I think he'll come out this year.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,990

Post#183 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:51 am

DCZards wrote:
closg00 wrote:Do you guys have think Bruno is one-and-done?

Bruno is a sophomore. So it would be two-and-done. And, yes, I expect him to enter the NBA draft. He initially entered the draft after last season but then decided against it. He's projected to be a top 15-20 pick so I think he'll come out this year.
Agreed.

I just sent Bruno two Tweets. He's got 48k followers, so who knows whether he will be able to read the tweets.

I believe he is not yet a fluid scorer. REID for LSU seized the moment. Bruno kicked out from deep post position to Serrel Smith and the miss killed momentum. Had Fernando assertively attacked on offense I believe that Maryland would have won.

I am pretty sure Bruno is gone, top 15-20 as you say, DCZards. However, he would really benefit from a better coach on offense and one more season with the Terps. A Final Four appearance could make him a top-5 selection.

Unfortunately, I think Jalen Smith also goes in this draft. He's likely a little higher selection than Bruno.

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#184 » by Wizardspride » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
RealGM

Post#185 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:01 am

Maryland women about to lose.

Brenda is overrated. Great recruiting and average quality coaching.

Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#186 » by Wizardspride » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Maryland women about to lose.

Personally, I'm not even mad.

This was always going to be a transition year.

This team had some weaknesses.

Lack of depth in the frontcourt And a big time pg.

Won't have any of those issues next season.

Could be our most talented team since the championship team.

Basically, just chill out and you'll see.

PS: Google these four names and you'll get it.

Ashley Owusu, Zoe Young, Diamond Miller & Faith Masonius.

Yeah...... :nod:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#187 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

From what I read, it sounds like they just ran into a very good UCLA team that was more talented than MD. :dontknow:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#188 » by 80sballboy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:07 pm

That was one of the worst defensive rebounding performances I've seen in all my years of watching basketball. I watched the game and didn't see that UCLA had much more talent. They had more desire and want-to when you give up 27 offensive rebounds.

As for the men, I'm hearing Jalen Smith is gone and that his parents wanted him to go pro out of HS, if that was possible (and they do have some $$$). He's good but he's not that good. His performance in the tournament may have gotten him into the first round.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#189 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm

80sballboy wrote:That was one of the worst defensive rebounding performances I've seen in all my years of watching basketball. I watched the game and didn't see that UCLA had much more talent. They had more desire and want-to when you give up 27 offensive rebounds.

As for the men, I'm hearing Jalen Smith is gone and that his parents wanted him to go pro out of HS, if that was possible (and they do have some $$$). He's good but he's not that good. His performance in the tournament may have gotten him into the first round.

According to the article I read, offensive rebounding is what got UCLA to where they were - all season long - 3rd in the entire nation in offensive rebounding. They're supposedly a long and athletic team that doesn't shoot well, so they get lots O rebounds. Doesn't sound like it's any shame to lose by 5 to them.

The men's team - they're pretty much dead for next season, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#190 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:01 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

From what I read, it sounds like they just ran into a very good UCLA team that was more talented than MD. :dontknow:
Jenna Staiti. Destiny Slocum. Kiara Leslie .

Brenda recruits well but she is full of crap when it comes to Maryland being a family where people are treated nicely unconditionally.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#191 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:03 am

80sballboy wrote:That was one of the worst defensive rebounding performances I've seen in all my years of watching basketball. I watched the game and didn't see that UCLA had much more talent. They had more desire and want-to when you give up 27 offensive rebounds.

Truth.

I've been watching Maryland women lose to teams like Louisville and UConn for years.I've seen players like Lexie Brown come and go.

Brenda Frese is from Iowa and she's never going to be wrong in some people's eyes. Blonde hair? If she were black she'd be scrutinized a bunch IMO.

Rebounding is about effort but also it is about substituting and fresh bodies. Just like she did with another white girl before her Taylor Mikesell was Brenda favorite player minutes wise and shot selection. Green light all the way. White might just be a coincidence but this player plays a lot of minutes and took a horrible shot at the end of the game as a freshman.

You guys don't like me anyway in some way so I'm just going to be honest I think Brenda is a half-ass coach who treats people badly but she recruits extremely well
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#192 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 am

Ruzious wrote:

According to the article I read, offensive rebounding is what got UCLA to where they were - all season long - 3rd in the entire nation in offensive rebounding. They're supposedly a long and athletic team that doesn't shoot well, so they get lots O rebounds. Doesn't sound like it's any shame to lose by 5 to them.

The men's team - they're pretty much dead for next season, imo.
That girl on Iowa really ripped Maryland a new one.

Rebounding was a problem but you got to look at the Players they lost in the past like Staiti, Leslie, and Slocum. Other players transferred as well for getting zero PT.

If this coach kept her Personnel happy--play a deeper bench. Don't coach like Scott Brooks or Mark Turgeon when it comes to INFLEXIBLE AND UNIMAGINATIVE sets.

Don't play favorites.

Don't criticize the fight out players.

Don't blindly allow CERTAIN PEOPLE TO FAIL repeatedly with impunity.

Coach defense better...

Maryland women were at home and the higher seed. The lack of depth is because of key transfer players.

Brenda can recruit the best and she ain't winning nothing next year either

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#193 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:22 pm

I don't follow MD women much - never watched a game, but... Frese did win a National Championship ahd has finished in 1st place in the Big Ten 4 of the last 5 seasons going 18-0, 16-2, 15-1, 12-4 (2nd place), and 15-3, made it to the NCAA final 4 in 2014 and 2015, and she's 457-123 for her MD career. Not perfect - certainly not Pat Summit - but seems like she's done alright.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#194 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:47 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Truth.

I've been watching Maryland women lose to teams like Louisville and UConn for years.I've seen players like Lexie Brown come and go.

Brenda Frese is from Iowa and she's never going to be wrong in some people's eyes. Blonde hair? If she were black she'd be scrutinized a bunch IMO.

Rebounding is about effort but also it is about substituting and fresh bodies. Just like she did with another white girl before her Taylor Mikesell was Brenda favorite player minutes wise and shot selection. Green light all the way. White might just be a coincidence but this player plays a lot of minutes and took a horrible shot at the end of the game as a freshman.

You guys don't like me anyway in some way so I'm just going to be honest I think Brenda is a half-ass coach who treats people badly but she recruits extremely well

You might get what you want: Tennessee is interested in Brenda and it's mutual.

Stay tuned....
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#195 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:48 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#196 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#197 » by Wizardspride » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
RealGM

Post#198 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 am

Wizardspride wrote:

Truth.

You might get what you want: Tennessee is interested in Brenda and it's mutual.

Stay tuned....
The mothers of a couple former players cannot stand Brenda.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#199 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 am

Ruzious wrote:I don't follow MD women much - never watched a game, but... Frese did win a National Championship ahd has finished in 1st place in the Big Ten 4 of the last 5 seasons going 18-0, 16-2, 15-1, 12-4 (2nd place), and 15-3, made it to the NCAA final 4 in 2014 and 2015, and she's 457-123 for her MD career. Not perfect - certainly not Pat Summit - but seems like she's done alright.
Mean to players. Never coaches up defensively. Played a short bench despite good depth.

That championship was 2007. Tolliver, Coleman, Langhorne, and Harper won as freshmen and sophomores but didn't get better over their college career.
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#200 » by 80sballboy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:20 pm

Ruzious wrote:I don't follow MD women much - never watched a game, but... Frese did win a National Championship ahd has finished in 1st place in the Big Ten 4 of the last 5 seasons going 18-0, 16-2, 15-1, 12-4 (2nd place), and 15-3, made it to the NCAA final 4 in 2014 and 2015, and she's 457-123 for her MD career. Not perfect - certainly not Pat Summit - but seems like she's done alright.
Mean to players. Never coaches up defensively. Played a short bench despite good depth.

That championship was 2007. Tolliver, Coleman, Langhorne, and Harper won as freshmen and sophomores but didn't get better over their college career.

Not sure about that. Didn't they all end up in the WNBA in some form or fashion. I don't hate Brenda. She brought Maryland a championship and is a great recruiter. If she is so f-ing mean, why does she continue to get player after player? Five-star after five-star? Top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes? I'm not saying I'm a fan of her coaching style or her x's and o's but the record speaks for itself.

She's 457-123 at Maryland. Has won over 500 games before 50. If she wants to leave for Tennessee, I don't blame her. Maryland can't draw flies for women's basketball. The AD is in shambles right now. Tennessee at least has a history of supporting women's basketball, selling out a huge arena (maybe not now). Just read they average around 8,000+ per game, which is still nearly twice what Maryland averages. Seeing less than 4,000 at the home game against UCLA could be the final straw.

This is remarkable. She obviously needs another Jeff Waltz on her staff for coaching because she's the best recruiter in the nation.
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/120/class/2019

https://umterps.com/news/2018/11/13/womens-basketball-terrapins-sign-no-1-recruiting-class.aspx

Return to Washington Wizards