ImageImage

Nurk & CJ injury thread. Update: Nurk - compound tibia & fibula fracture.

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,003

Re: Nurk & CJ injury thread. Update: Nurk - compound tibia & fibula fracture. 

Post#21 » by eyeatoma » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:50 am

Guys my heart goes out to your fanbase. My wife is from Oregon so I've adopted the Blazers as my second team. Nurk really turned a corner this year after frustrating potential early on in his career. I'm positive he'll come back stronger than ever. Have patience RIP City!!!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#22 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:16 pm

bones will heal great, no problem there... psychological recovery is the most important thing, but i believe his psyche is great, hes already had knee surgery after the rookie season, that forced him to miss majority of his 2nd nba season, so while its not the same as the break, he still needed surgery and recovery and all that, so its sort of familiar to him

it took 8 months for paul george to recover, so im thinking its gonna take similar time for nurkic to come back... the most important thing is that there will be no permanent damage... it sucks hell lose 8-12 months, but his natural progress as a player will continue... can i say timing of the injury was good, cause the regular season will end soon and majority of the recovery time will be during the off-season

kopf hoch, nurk, as the germans would say!
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Re: Nurk & CJ injury thread. 

Post#23 » by Sinobas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:06 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Lillard era is over.

Not only that, but this spells doom for civilization itself. The end of the time of man is nigh.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#24 » by Sinobas » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Now the blazers are basically doomed to yet another 1st round exit, just when I thought they had a decent chance to win a series. To win a series, they are going to have to get red hot. Kanter is probably as good as Nurk offensively, and Collins is a pretty good defensive presence, but they are both really weak in the other area, whereas Nurk was good on both ends.

Anyway, I guess a broken bone is better than tearing up a joint. But what's up with Nurk legs? They keep breaking.
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Re: Nurk & CJ injury thread. 

Post#25 » by Fitz303 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:34 pm

GreenRiddler wrote:Lillard era is over. Nurk won't be back fully back to his old groove till maybe early 2021.

Unless Collins makes big strides or we get another gift from trades. This franchise era is done.

Overreaction. Lillard is 28. When Nurk if fully healthy again, Lillard will be 30. This isn't the NFL. 30 isn't a death sentence. He'll have quite a few good years left, and the bad salary will be gone, along with further development from the young guys, they should bounce back just fine
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,816

Post#26 » by Fitz303 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:35 pm

I know there's a lot of doom and gloom at this moment, and I'm right there with most of you. However, please don't think that this means the end with Lillard. He's 28 years old. Think about worst case scenario. Nurk misses all of next year, and the team regroups for a push in 2020-2021. Lillard will have just turned 30 and will still have plenty in the tank. For example:

Top level players 30 years and older still putting in serious work

LeBron James - 34 years old
Kevin Durant - 30 years old
Steph Curry 31 years old
LaMarcus Aldridge - 33 years old
Blake Griffin - 30 years old
Russell Westbrook - 30 years old
Mike Conley - 31 years old
Lou Williams - 32 years old

Add in 29 year olds who aren't going anywhere anytime soon

James Harden - 29 years old
Klay Thompson - 29 years old
Jimmy Butler - 29 years old
Demar Derozan - 29 years old

Dame is going to be fine for quite a while longer. Dame is also going to continue to be in Portland for a long time. Now the focus has to be on surrounding him with better talent as the old contracts expire, as well as developing the young players coming up in Simons, Collins, Trent Jr, and whoever else they pick up this offseason.

One thing I think will likely not happen anymore is, attaching the pick to shed salary. I think they hold onto all of the youth that they can moving forward.
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#27 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:49 pm

shams just confirmed what we basically knew, 8-12 months recovery time, will miss majority, if not entire next season

good thing is theres no ligaments damage and his ankle and knee are fine... bones will heal just fine

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,692

Post#28 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:15 pm

So sorry to hear about this, I really hope for a full recovery. Even as a fan of another team battling in the West, this is really horrible to hear.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,842

Post#29 » by Norm2953 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Hopefully he will take all the time he needs to make a full recovery and not be pressured to return
in 8 months. Glad to hear its just broken bones and no ligament tears and his ankle and knees are
fine.
Outside
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,199

Post#30 » by Outside » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:08 pm

All the best to Nurk in his recovery. He's come into his own as a top NBA center this season, and I considered his improvement a big reason why the Blazers would do well this postseason.

Of all the franchises for this to happen to, I don't understand why Portland. Great city, and the injury dues ledger had already been overpaid about 100 years worth.

After my Warriors, I'll be rooting for the Blazers. Not too hard considered I already liked them anyway.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#31 » by BudTugly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:42 pm

Best wishes get well Nurk
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#32 » by DusterBuster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pm

I know its easy to go doom and gloom at a time like this, but I for one hope the team is able to galvanize around this and to dig deep and not give in. Tough to do, but I believe in the teams will to push as hard as possible under times of adversity.

As for Nurk, like I mentioned in the game thread, it sounds like no muscles or tendons ripped, so a clean break is something he should be able to recover from pretty fully, its just gonna take time. You basically have one full year of recovery, then a full year of playing and mentally recovering. People have been crapping on Hayward this year, but no one takes into account that he's in his "mental recovery" year right now - and the Celtics being a hot mess of a team in terms of chemistry. PG is the prime example that you can not just recover from a clean break like that, but you can come back even better. So I'm not terribly concerned for Nurk's career.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#33 » by bigdavid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Prayers for you Nurk. Speedy recovery.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,405

Post#34 » by Blazinaway » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Wow, what a blow. All the best to you Nurk for a full recovery!
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,961

Post#35 » by DusterBuster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Shams just reported that Nurk underwent successful surgery, no nerve or muscle damage. Clean break, so that's a little silver lining in some otherwise terrible news.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#36 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:51 pm

For how atrocious his injury looked last night this is basically the best possible outcome. Just that sound alone was so gruesome. Hope for a full and speedy recovery, sorry for him and for you guys as fans, I always tend to pull for PDX as long as we're not playing you guys.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,231

Post#37 » by monopoman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:23 pm

Best case scenario is he comes back ready for the playoffs in the 2019-2020 season. This team can still likely make the playoffs next year without him especially if they get a stop gap player to replace a bit of what he does.
Matt800
Rookie
And1: 317

Post#38 » by Matt800 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:33 pm

Hopefully he doesn't have some sort of bone weakness. Multiple leg breaks seems a little question raising. But hopefully either way he gets what he needs to be healthy.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,164

Post#39 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:46 pm

Terrible injury, but the no muscle or tendon injury is big news. Bones heal, in fact they heal stronger than before. Cautiously optimistic he makes it back by the all star break next year and is 100% ready to start the season in summer 2020.

Lets rally around the team in the face of this injury. Go Blazers!
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran

Post#40 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:26 pm

thats exactly my opinion, if hes ready to go after the all-star break, portland will activate him, or at least i hope they will... will around 25 games + playoffs if were there, be enough for them to activate him... maybe they wont risk anything, but if its mid season, they would surely activate him

i hope that happens, cause if theres any rust, better to deal with it next season, then go in a new season with that problem... playing time next season + off-season to get back where he was... nurk is a hard worker and hes mentally strong!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers