Mfiondu Kabengele

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Re: Mfiondu Kabengele 

Post#101 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:34 am

EvanZ wrote:Comp I came up with last night that is not perfect physically but more style-wise and more on offense side of things is Thomas Bryant. Bryant is a bit slower and obviously was much younger coming out. But they both really have a nack (knack?) for scoring at that size. Kab is more athletic than Bryant, but Bryant a better passer. I think in terms of impact that's probably similar to where Kab ends up, maybe slightly better or worse depending how much more they each develop. Another guy that comes to mind is Gorgui Dieng who is a better scorer than people realized coming out.

I see zero chance of Kab being a 4 in the NBA without improving his playmaking vastly. Also just don't think he can hang on the perimeter enough.

Kab's much of a floor runner than what Thomas Bryant was/is

but yea, Kab should be a treated as a C prospect really, same way that JJJ should be as well.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#102 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:02 am

Dat2U wrote:I think he's a lottery talent. I don't get the Speights comparisons. I see a little Jonathan Issac with a more polished offensive skillset.

I agree. He was a lottery talent for me as a 2020 prospect and I still think he really is a 2020 prospect but his potential is so much and he just keeps getting better. I added him to 2019 in the same range.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#103 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:10 am

he's a '19 prospect there's 0 reason why he should go back to school
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#104 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:29 am

King Ken wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I think he's a lottery talent. I don't get the Speights comparisons. I see a little Jonathan Issac with a more polished offensive skillset.

I agree. He was a lottery talent for me as a 2020 prospect and I still think he really is a 2020 prospect but his potential is so much and he just keeps getting better. I added him to 2019 in the same range.

You know he’s 21 right?
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,420

Post#105 » by Kalela » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:15 am

It is amazing how is not in most mock drafts. I am hoping the Celtics get this guy. If they keep their picks that is. He would be a good fit.
Fire Mazzulla
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#106 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:18 am

Kalela wrote:It is amazing how is not in most mock drafts. I am hoping the Celtics get this guy. If they keep their picks that is. He would be a good fit.

ESPN just moved him to 30. Expect every single mock draft to have him now.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#107 » by King Ken » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:09 am

EvanZ wrote:
King Ken wrote:

You know he’s 21 right?

I didn't. I assumed he might have been 20. 21 is not bad since he is a center prospect but it definitely changes things a little in terms of timeline. You always hope guys like him aren't Dion Waiters types.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#108 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 am

Kabengele is turning 22 in August, will be a 22 yo rookie if he declares (he should)
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#109 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:53 pm

EvanZ wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:remains a deep sleeper imo as a solid option role player/longterm potential starter caliber prospect that could become a steal in the early 2nd round if he declares, but also a solid value pick up late first with a substantially underrated floor.

Agreed. So Why is this guy so under the radar? You’d think he be on a number of boards and mocks by this point. Can no one spell his name?

For starters, he's not starting. Hamilton is an idiot. I think his best players are coming off the bench. :banghead:

It's weird because you'd think someone who is the nephew of Dikembe would be more hyped. :lol:

At any rate, plenty of people I talk to are aware of Kabengele and I'm sure NBA teams have taken notice.

I've pretty much watched every game of his career and Kab comes off the bench for strictly one reason: && thats foul trouble. Early on in his career, he had the tendency of picking up quick fouls. He is by far our best player and Hamilton knows that, so bringing him off the bench has cut down on his foul issues and he has been able to make a huge impact for us. He still plays starters minutes on an FSU team that has arguably been the deepest in the country the last 2 years.

He is so clearly a first round talent in my eyes. Pretty much checks every box you'd want from a modern day 5 and has made a huge jump from year one to year 2.

I still think someone in the late lottery might fall in love with him. Especially if he plays well the rest of the tournament and gets more national exposure.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#110 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
He is so clearly a first round talent in my eyes. Pretty much checks every box you'd want from a modern day 5 and has made a huge jump from year one to year 2.

Ideally a modern day 5 should pass the ball once in a while. That's by far his biggest weakness, that and he'll be 22 before the season starts.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#111 » by clyde21 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:11 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
mojo13 wrote:
Agreed. So Why is this guy so under the radar? You’d think he be on a number of boards and mocks by this point. Can no one spell his name?

For starters, he's not starting. Hamilton is an idiot. I think his best players are coming off the bench. :banghead:

It's weird because you'd think someone who is the nephew of Dikembe would be more hyped. :lol:

At any rate, plenty of people I talk to are aware of Kabengele and I'm sure NBA teams have taken notice.

I've pretty much watched every game of his career and Kab comes off the bench for strictly one reason: && thats foul trouble. Early on in his career, he had the tendency of picking up quick fouls. He is by far our best player and Hamilton knows that, so bringing him off the bench has cut down on his foul issues and he has been able to make a huge impact for us. He still plays starters minutes on an FSU team that has arguably been the deepest in the country the last 2 years.

I still think someone in the late lottery might fall in love with him. Especially if he plays well the rest of the tournament and gets more national exposure.

another way he's similar to JJJ, who played ~20 mins a game due to constantly being in foul trouble himself.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#112 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:11 pm

Fischella wrote:Kabengele is turning 22 in August, will be a 22 yo rookie if he declares (he should)

Age is overrated.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#113 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Fischella wrote:Kabengele is turning 22 in August, will be a 22 yo rookie if he declares (he should)

Age is overrated.

It's just another factor

Kabengele surely is overrated though
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#114 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Age is overrated.

It's just another factor

There’s a big difference between draft value and skill/translation. In terms of value, because of his age and his explosion only this year, his value is overrated. But in terms of being modern NBA player and having upside on that front, where he can learn more to translate even better, he’s not overrated. I think a lot of draft people have a hard time separating value to effect on the modern NBA game. Like year, Grant Williams is winning a lot, but what about his game translates to the next level and what at the next level can he do even better? What’s his translation upside? He doesn’t have much, while Kab, because of his size, ability to run the floor, block shots, shoot threes and put the ball on the floor a little has translation upside. I actually think a good projection for Kab is something like Christian Wood, who should have had more opportunities until now (on the Pelicans, where he had a huge game the other night).
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#115 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:19 pm

EvanZ wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

Ideally a modern day 5 should pass the ball once in a while. That's by far his biggest weakness, that and he'll be 22 before the season starts.

Considering how good his ability to stretch the floor, defend 5 positions, and protect the rim is, his passing and age wouldn't make me think twice about drafting him in the first round. Maybe NBA teams feel differently, but at the end of the day, he still has a skill set that is coveted by teams in this league.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#116 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:21 pm

Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:

Age is overrated.

It's just another factor

Yeah, the guy that hasn't been in mocks all year and who gets zero national attention is overrated. I could easily make the argument that he is actually one of the more underrated prospects in recent memory.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#117 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:29 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
Fischella wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
Age is overrated.

It's just another factor

Yeah, the guy that hasn't been in mocks all year and who gets zero national attention is overrated. I could easily make the argument that he is actually one of the more underrated prospects in recent memory.

I think he means in terms of people hyping him saying he should be a lottery pick. The draft community is smaller than the general community.
PrimeThyme
RealGM

Post#118 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:32 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:
Fischella wrote:It's just another factor

I think he means in terms of people hyping him saying he should be a lottery pick. The draft community is smaller than the general community.

Fair. I'm not sure if that makes him necessarily overrated though. This is one of the weakest drafts outside of the top 5-8 in recent memory. I don't think it's that crazy to think that a team in the 12-15 range would take a shot at a guy with his skillset considering how weak this draft is imo.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#119 » by doordoor123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:16 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:
doordoor123 wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:Yeah, the guy that hasn't been in mocks all year and who gets zero national attention is overrated. I could easily make the argument that he is actually one of the more underrated prospects in recent memory.

Fair. I'm not sure if that makes him necessarily overrated though. This is one of the weakest drafts outside of the top 5-8 in recent memory. I don't think it's that crazy to think that a team in the 12-15 range would take a shot at a guy with his skillset considering how weak this draft is imo.

I strongly disagree with that. I actually think this is a super strong draft, it depends on who you’re looking at, but I also suspect a lot of players will pull out this year because of the new rules, where you can get feedback from agents and return to college even after the draft.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#120 » by Coeur » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:51 pm

This is the game the ncaa wanted. Underseed Florida state to try to knock gonzaga out. It went horrible for Gonzaga last year, so as a guy who thinks Gonzaga is going to win it this one is scary.

If this kids problem is staying out of foul trouble how does he defend the best frontline in college basketball without fouling ?

Return to NBA Draft