Devin Booker - The Kaiser of Empty Stats

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Re: Devin Booker - The Kaiser of Empty Stats 

Post#161 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:36 am

sikma42 wrote:And they went to the playoffs in a tough west and took the Suns to 7 games.

Booker is not even getting 20 wins.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app

And if you are referring to the year Kobe averaged 35.4pts a game, his supporting cast included a couple of guys named PHIL JACKSON and Lamar Odom, and in fact had half a dozen guys who retired with NBA championship rings (Devean George, Sasha Vujevic, Andrew Bynum, Luke Walton, Odom, Kobe, Phil Jackson + super vets Aaron Mckie and Jim Jackson).
Young_Star11
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,767

Post#162 » by Young_Star11 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:49 pm

Winning some more games starts to render these threads meaningless. The Suns haven't been able to do that yet.

Not sure why Kobe is being mentioned? There is a difference in generation. Kobe was judged by wins and losses, Booker doesn't seem to be.

Booker was just four days old when Kobe made his NBA debut.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,476

Post#163 » by sikma42 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:53 pm

That's the distinction. It's how we judge players now. Nobody seems to care about winning games. It's just efficiency #s and Booker is the extreme example of this. His #s dont come in a winning a context, I dont think the Suns playerd care about winning games at all.

So if his #s are basically put up in a glorified pick game, they dont mean much. There are easily 35 guys better than Booker. Probably more. The only reason he bugs people is because of his/his teams antics

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
yanuary
Rookie
And1: 608

Post#164 » by yanuary » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:33 pm

In his last 3 games he finally added more in the offensive than he always gives on the defensive end.
Its pretty amazing that he has to score around 50ppg on high efficency to be above average player, his D is atrocious.
clyde21 wrote:sell high on Ingram, this is Zion's team now, there is no room for that black hole that is BI

clyde21 wrote:bench Ingram for NAW, already a better player
mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,843

Post#165 » by mcmurphy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:45 pm

itlnsunsfan wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I realize he's a rookie. I'd need to see it longer than a few games when he was bad for a while, and his scouting report coming into the NBA was that he had a poor motor on defense and was bad. Highlights or not, the Suns have been terrible on defense and until he shows more I don't think he's that guy. Could a good 2nd/3rd guy but not a big I'd feel great building around until he's above average overall.

Also, aside but I don't love tracking stats and Sidery's are off

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-overall/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=11%2F01%2F2018&PlayerPosition=C&sort=NORMAL_FG_PCT&dir=-1

He's at 48.7%. Tied with Kanter

That has Gobert at 49%.

dudes, if you want to use advanced statistics you need to know how to read

FG% is the average realization of the shot defended ... what must be seen is the previous number... DFG% ... the percentage of that shot defended by that player
https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-overall/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=11%2F01%2F2018&PlayerPosition=C&sort=PCT_PLUSMINUS&dir=-1&CF=D_FGA*G*10

Gobert as DFG% has 44.1%, its defensive impact reduces the percentage of realization of 4.9% respect average defender

Ayton is slightly better of average (-1.1%), not bad for a rookie... but strongly distant from Nurkic, Gobert or a rookie as Mitchell Robinson.
Hesh
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,142

Post#166 » by Hesh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 pm

yanuary wrote:In his last 3 games he finally added more in the offensive than he always gives on the defensive end.
Its pretty amazing that he has to score around 50ppg on high efficency to be above average player, his D is atrocious.

We already know that he's trash on D. He's playing beyond amazing on offense, but you still want to make it about his defense.

So many glass half-empty posters in this thread. I actually agree with most of criticism, but some are taking it too far, like it's gotten personal with them lol.

The only thing I don't agree with is that Book should be carrying his team to 30+ wins on his own. Most people here have a strong opinion and act as though they watch the suns (hate using this, but it's true), but if they did, they'd actually see how dysfunctional this organization has been from the beginning. I'm not gonna list all the problems, because it's been posted many times, no one wants to hear it though. Book in his 4th season should be carrying this team to 30+ wins, all by his lonesome. And if Lebron didn't just crack 30 wins - the bar would be set much higher.

Even the guy who made this thread, has posted in here a total of 2 times. The opening post and he bumped it after one game, add's nothing to the discussion, and is basically trolling lol
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,199

Post#167 » by bondom34 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Crives wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Crives wrote:
But Ayton is also a rookie. How often do rookie centers even start on competitive teams in this league? If Ayton can guard Lebron/Giannis, that has to be an indicator that he has potential to be a good defender after he gets some experience.

Also

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I realize he's a rookie. I'd need to see it longer than a few games when he was bad for a while, and his scouting report coming into the NBA was that he had a poor motor on defense and was bad. Highlights or not, the Suns have been terrible on defense and until he shows more I don't think he's that guy. Could a good 2nd/3rd guy but not a big I'd feel great building around until he's above average overall.

But how many centers are above average on good teams as rookies? Don’t you agree that historically centers take time to develop? Didn’t Gobert spend his first season in the g league and now he is DPOY? I think it’s unfair to say Ayton doesn’t have a good shot at being “that guy” based on what we have seen. He definitely has the physical tools and shown he is capable of defending some of the best super wings in the league as a rookie center. The tweet data is post Nov, that’s 5 months of his rookie season.

But Gobert always projected as a great defender and never had a question on that part. He was DPOY level day one. Plenty have physical tools, but questionable motor no. I've never thought he was worth the first pick and have been lower on him.

itlnsunsfan wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I realize he's a rookie. I'd need to see it longer than a few games when he was bad for a while, and his scouting report coming into the NBA was that he had a poor motor on defense and was bad. Highlights or not, the Suns have been terrible on defense and until he shows more I don't think he's that guy. Could a good 2nd/3rd guy but not a big I'd feel great building around until he's above average overall.

Also, aside but I don't love tracking stats and Sidery's are off

https://stats.nba.com/players/defense-dash-overall/?Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&DateFrom=11%2F01%2F2018&PlayerPosition=C&sort=NORMAL_FG_PCT&dir=-1

He's at 48.7%. Tied with Kanter

That has Gobert at 49%.

See mcmurphy's reply but note I also said I don't really love this as a measure either. There's plenty of other evidence he's been not good.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,724

Post#168 » by darmani » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter

bOoKeR sHoUlD gEt HiS tEaMmAtEs MoRe InVoLvEd
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
-G-
Analyst
And1: 2,122

Post#169 » by -G- » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:52 pm

For the millionth time, would love to see him on a team that's average on defense. Just average, not even good. They've been bottom 3 in D all 4 years he's been there.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#170 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:16 pm

darmani wrote:
Read on Twitter

bOoKeR sHoUlD gEt HiS tEaMmAtEs MoRe InVoLvEd

Perhaps THE single biggest blindspot amongst armchair bball analysts is underestimating the difficulty of the task facing young stars on legitimately awful teams.

Kobe Bryant walked onto one of the most talented teams in history. In a few years time he was being coached by a Top 3 all time coach and playing next to a Top 10 all time player on a roster constructed by a Top something all time GM. He NEVER faced adversity until he was already a 3x NBA champion with enormous experience.

Devin Booker has walked onto a team and franchise in complete chaos that may or may not even want to win. he's surrounded by kids and scrubs, and not a few scrub kids. His owner sucks. The coaching is unstable, the GM is unstable. There is absolutely no comparison between the challenges he has faced and the "challenges" a Kobe or Harden or other blessed youngster faced while arriving on teams with stable structures and star players to keep the heat off them while they developed.
ThomYorke
Junior
And1: 876

Post#171 » by ThomYorke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:02 am

So how does this board view him now he’s on a good team?

His past month has been stellar, and it’s a joke if he’s not an all star
Vampirate
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,615

Post#172 » by Vampirate » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 am

Honestly, it's just the Chris Paul effect here.

He goes to the Rockets and they have their best seasons with Harden, he goes to the OKC and they start winning, now he's on the Suns.

The guy just knows how to run a team.
Hsker4Life
Rookie
And1: 1,261

Post#173 » by Hsker4Life » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:58 am

Vampirate wrote:Honestly, it's just the Chris Paul effect here.

He goes to the Rockets and they have their best seasons with Harden, he goes to the OKC and they start winning, now he's on the Suns.

Has nothing to do with Booker? Got it. Thanks for the amazing hot take.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#174 » by kio80 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:03 am

Hsker4Life wrote:

Has nothing to do with Booker? Got it. Thanks for the amazing hot take.

Booker still being Booker, the X factor is CP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#175 » by DirtyDez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:04 am

Yes Devin Booker finally got an adult to play with.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#176 » by Pg81 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:05 am

Arteezy wrote:Booker= Empty stats
Doncic in a 30 win team, padding rebounds like DeAndre Jordan and shooting 40%-30%= Future superstar

Fun thing

Yes let us ignore the previous two years, his rookie team was competing for the 8th spot before they went tank mode btw, and pretend like he did not lead the most efficient offense in NBA history as a sophomore. :roll:
Let us also ignore that he leads the league in potential assist and that his previously top tier 3 point shooting team mates suddenly cannnot hit the broad side of the barn from downtown despite all the wide open looks he gives them.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#177 » by Kurtz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 am

I've got Booker on my fantasy team - he's been letting me down. Too many turnovers, too few assists and boards, and very sparse defensive stats.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#178 » by Ballerhogger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:15 am

Booker finally playing with comptent point and hes playing amazing
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 9,723

Post#179 » by Woodsanity » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 am

Ballerhogger wrote:Booker finally playing with comptent point and hes playing amazing

He literally had two prior seasons better than this one. Not sure why people think he's suddenly gotten a lot better. :-?

Only the playoffs separate the true great ones and frauds.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,538

Post#180 » by Qwigglez » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:17 am

Pg81 wrote:
Arteezy wrote:Booker= Empty stats
Doncic in a 30 win team, padding rebounds like DeAndre Jordan and shooting 40%-30%= Future superstar

Fun thing

Yes let us ignore the previous two years, his rookie team was competing for the 8th spot before they went tank mode btw, and pretend like he did not lead the most efficient offense in NBA history as a sophomore. :roll:
Let us also ignore that he leads the league in potential assist and that his previously top tier 3 point shooting team mates suddenly cannnot hit the broad side of the barn from downtown despite all the wide open looks he gives them.

I believe this post was over 2 years ago :lol:

Return to The General Board