Carsen Edwards

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Re: Carsen Edwards 

Post#21 » by nicnac215 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:03 am

Seems like a good fit for Orlando as a DJ Augustine replacement if Fultz busts. Maybe they can nab a late 1st to draft him
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,608

Post#22 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:04 am

clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:If he was a better 3pt shooter I would consider him late 1st. A guy like Patty Mills is a sharpshooter. Edwards shot 30% from 3 in conference play this year. Freshman year he had a TS% of 48%, this year he had a TS% of 53%

Sophomore year he was much more efficient. But I will side with the 2 year and most recent sample. I'm not sold he is that efficient of a scorer.

Then add in 0 PG skills and 0 defense, plus his tiny size. Way too many question marks to take him 1st round in my opinion.

A hell of a tournament though.

0 defense? dude's a legit defender man I can't agree there.

elite dribbler, great first step, good shooter and can get anywhere on the floor and get his shot off from different platforms, is an elite FT shooter, is strong, good wing span and can defend.

he needs to do much better job of orchestrating offense and managing games (though that might not be his forte) but there is enough to like there to take late first IMO.

i can see him being a great 6th man off the bench as a microwave scorer type the same way Isaiah Thomas started his career.

Ya I don't see a good defender. I especially don't see any defense translating to the next level.

I also think there is 0 potential as a facilitator. His PG skills are non existent. And ya I just question if he is going to be an efficient enough scorer to be worth getting minutes off the bench. To me he hasn't shown anything special when it comes to finishing at the rim and I'm just not sold on the 3pt shot becoming super consistent.

If he was a knock down shooter from 3, I agree I think he would be worth a 1st. But he just hasn't shown that yet. I definitely take a flyer on him in the 2nd.

If he gets the 3pt shot down I think he has a chance to be a good bench scoring guard. If his 3 continues like it is now, I think he will struggle to get out of the G league.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:09 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:If he was a better 3pt shooter I would consider him late 1st. A guy like Patty Mills is a sharpshooter. Edwards shot 30% from 3 in conference play this year. Freshman year he had a TS% of 48%, this year he had a TS% of 53%

Sophomore year he was much more efficient. But I will side with the 2 year and most recent sample. I'm not sold he is that efficient of a scorer.

Then add in 0 PG skills and 0 defense, plus his tiny size. Way too many question marks to take him 1st round in my opinion.

A hell of a tournament though.

0 defense? dude's a legit defender man I can't agree there.

elite dribbler, great first step, good shooter and can get anywhere on the floor and get his shot off from different platforms, is an elite FT shooter, is strong, good wing span and can defend.

he needs to do much better job of orchestrating offense and managing games (though that might not be his forte) but there is enough to like there to take late first IMO.

i can see him being a great 6th man off the bench as a microwave scorer type the same way Isaiah Thomas started his career.

Ya I don't see a good defender. I especially don't see any defense translating to the next level.

I also think there is 0 potential as a facilitator. His PG skills are non existent. And ya I just question if he is going to be an efficient enough scorer to be worth getting minutes off the bench. To me he hasn't shown anything special when it comes to finishing at the rim and I'm just not sold on the 3pt shot becoming super consistent.

If he was a knock down shooter from 3, I agree I think he would be worth a 1st. But he just hasn't shown that yet. I definitely take a flyer on him in the 2nd.

If he gets the 3pt shot down I think he has a chance to be a good bench scoring guard. If his 3 continues like it is now, I think he will struggle to get out of the G league.

FT% says he's gonna be a good 3PT% shooter in the league and so does the eye test...has a high, quick release, great dibble, good first step, and really can get anywhere on the court. more space in the NBA is gonna help that even more.

but yea, he's not a guy you get to run your offense. if that's what you're looking for you take Tre.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#24 » by kobyz » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:11 am

Is he the next Lou Williams?
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#25 » by No-Man » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:22 am

Doubting Edwards shooting is silly, he is also capable on D, especially when tracking guys etc, has a thick body, strength, length, good athlete, he projects well on that end considering how his offensive role is gonna be diminshed and he would have more energy to burn o D

The issue is that you need a creator elsewhere, and only a few teams can live with Edwards out there with no PG skills
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#26 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:28 pm

I'm sold on his skillset transferring easily to the next level after seeing his production in the tournament. I was on the fence about him due to his stature, but he is pretty long and has upside defensively. I project him being a early 20's pick in this draft and actually would not be the least bit shocked if Boston drafted him at 13 or 14.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#27 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Shabazz Napier went 24 in a similar feeling of draft and he’s better than Napier was. Napier is having a good career as a back up. I see Edwards has a fringe starter in his prime, but like I said earlier, the best team for him will let him be in the G-league for a year or at least half a year to develop his playmaking.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#28 » by peZt » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 pm

Would be great as a late first pick for the sixers
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:34 pm

I think he's a starter at the next level tbh and being slept on due to head height.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#30 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 pm

Stillwater wrote:I think he's a starter at the next level tbh and being slept on due to head height.

I don’t think its out of the question.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#31 » by CP War Hawks » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 pm

Didn't he measure a 6-6 wingspan. If he buys in on the defensive end like he should with good overall athletic ability, you should group him in with guard prospects behind white.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#32 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:07 pm

I still don't see a 1st rounder but he is clearly a 2nd rounder and can be an offensive stud but his ability to miss defensive assignments is next level awful
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,511

Post#33 » by Kalela » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Edwards checked in as the shortest player at the combine at 5 feet, 10 3/4 inches without shoes, or 6-foot even in shoes. No surprise, as Edwards himself said he'll need to work on his point guard skills, since his future likely lies there at the next level.

6'0" in shoes is a decent height.
Fire Mazzulla
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:34 pm

King Ken wrote:I still don't see a 1st rounder but he is clearly a 2nd rounder and can be an offensive stud but his ability to miss defensive assignments is next level awful

Genuinely shocked you would make that statement given your constant support of Trae Young who has less length and is worse defensively. And was somehow worth giving away Doncic for yet This kid isn't a first rounder WTF
King Ken
General Manager

Post#35 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:40 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:I still don't see a 1st rounder but he is clearly a 2nd rounder and can be an offensive stud but his ability to miss defensive assignments is next level awful

Genuinely shocked you would make that statement given your constant support of Trae Young who has less length and is worse defensively. And was somehow worth giving away Doncic for yet This kid isn't a first rounder WTF

There you go with your nonsense again
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#36 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:43 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

Nice comeback pottsy.
You know I'm right...
King Ken
General Manager

Post#37 » by King Ken » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:Genuinely shocked you would make that statement given your constant support of Trae Young who has less length and is worse defensively. And was somehow worth giving away Doncic for yet This kid isn't a first rounder WTF

Nice comeback pottsy.
You know I'm right...

Stillwater, you are almost never right and clearly wrong in this case.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#38 » by Stillwater » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:54 pm

King Ken wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
King Ken wrote:There you go with your nonsense again

Nice comeback pottsy.
You know I'm right...

Stillwater, you are almost never right and clearly wrong in this case.

The fact you think I'm never right after takes like yours proves how right I am. Face it your biased and it is impacting your assessment of young
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:15 pm

I totally forget he measured so short. He looks like he’s 6’2 so color me surprised. There is no size for point guard in this draft. Like Cassius Winston is also good in terms of basketball IQ, but man he’s so short for someone without athleticism.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:26 pm

wouldn't be surprised if we see Edwards go as high as 15 (Detroit).

Return to NBA Draft