ImageImageImageImageImage

Random Thoughts Thread Part 4

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#761 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:35 pm

nate33 wrote:It really is annoying how the sports media totally fabricates stories to make an issue out of absolutely nothing at all.

There was a headline two days ago saying: LeBron James: Lakers Adding Anthony Davis Would Be 'Incredible'. The narrative was that the Lakers have some sort of secret master plan to acquire Davis and Lebron just slipped and revealed it to everyone. It's so stupid. Of course Lebron would be interesting in adding Davis. Who wouldn't? What's he supposed to say? "Nah man, I have no interest in Davis joining my team".

The next day, there's another headline: Anthony Davis Loves New Orleans, Doesn't Care About LeBron's Comments. The narrative this time is that Davis doesn't want to join Lebron and he may be just a little bit annoyed that Lebron is somehow trying to work some angle to get Davis. Again, it's totally stupid. All Davis did was duck the question in the most diplomatic manner possible.

Yesterday, another headline appeared: Anthony Davis Won't Be Swayed By Supermax Extension. In it, the article states incredibly:
But with LeBron James' recent comments about wanting to play with Davis and the approaching February 7th trade deadline, there is growing momentum for the Lakers to attempt to make a move for the Pelicans superstar now.

WTF are they talking about? Growing momentum? GTFO of here with that bullspit.

You have to dig up the original article from Yahoo to see what Davis actually said:

“I’d take legacy over money,” Davis told Yahoo Sports after posting game highs of 30 points and 20 rebounds to go with five assists in Friday’s loss. “I want to have a legacy. All my people that look up to me, the younger kids, I want them to know about AD’s legacy. Championships, the things I do in the community, being a good teammate, playing hard. All that stuff matters the most to me. Don’t get me wrong, money is amazing. But I think in that sense, money or legacy, I think my legacy will win that battle every time.”

Total boilerplate. No player is going to say, "nah man, I don't care about winning. Show me the money!"

So in three consecutive fake news articles, we are led to believe that Davis to LA is all but a done deal when ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has been said or done to suggest any such a thing.
Tampering by players happens. Going on record BECAUSE THE MEDIA KNOWS and Lebron does as well, just how powerful is suggestion; IS a manipulation. Could be LA has a huge media hype advantage.

Yes, it's BS that's fabricated by media. Players might be speaking off the cuff and totally impromptu.

Lebron is not a cheat AND I believe has a right to speak freely. If anything, the press credential of a reporter should be suspended for asking the entrapping questions.

Players can talk on the court. They speak through agents. They have family and friends to connect. Hell, they DM each other. They KNOW how each feels re free agency.

Thanks, nate. It's a good topic because small market owners are at a huge disadvantage when media recruits. The NBA wants mega shares and will look the other way on some people. If Wall talked about AD, he would be reprimanded and fined for sure. Players KNOW they cannot talk about another team's roster. But coaches and GMs REALLY get hammered because they know better and cannot use spontaneous EMOTIONS or just off the court nerves as excuse.

NATE33: If you've got the time, you can search engine "yellow journalism". William Randolph Hearst owned a newspaper. He used FALSE STORIES to influence real-world reactions that served his purpose/agenda during the Philippines/Cuba/Spanish America war.

SOME ENTITY knows EXACTLY what they're doing with the "building momentum". Not much different from stuff I"VE TRIED TO DO FOR YEARS on Realgm. Start the momentum...

KCP/Lonzo trade idea...

Not much diff than Steven A or others hyping AD to LAL or Kawhi to LAC.
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#762 » by pancakes3 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:59 am

don't get me wrong, i still hate lebron* but this is crazy. also shout out to oubre, gone but not foregotten.

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/12/21/all-9-of-lebron-james-blocked-dunks-1850-attempts/

*I was in charlotte for a wedding a few weeks ago when the lakers were playing charlotte, and coincidentally was around the lobby of the Ritz where the lakers were staying. team was getting off the bus and there were a weirdly large number of laker fans mobbing the players. i let loose a "yeah but you still crab dribble" but he had his beats on
Bullets -> Wizards
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#763 » by barelyawake » Wed Jan 2, 2019 10:07 pm

Ruzious wrote:
barelyawake wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Thanks...time to get mad broke...

:)

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app

Thanks again, guys. Keep checking back because we keep continually coming out with new designs, and have planned out two or three more seasons. Same goes for anyone here. Message me your name if you order, I’ll look up the order and add a lil something as thank you.

Easiest way to show your gift is “thoughtful” is giving art, especially art jewelry . Give her a piece of New York Couture, with a DC artist price tag (for now). Thanks again.

To follow up, I ordered a couple things made by Barely's g/f, and they turned out real well, but what really made them special was the little extras that went with them - lagniappe as they say in Nawlins - with nice gift bags and authenticity certifications and an extra gift. I gave one to my sister and one to her teenaged daughter, and they were wow'd by the presentation.

Thanks again, man. Yeah I’ve been swamped, this holiday. I have my high-end art auction real job; my own art auction company and now this jewelry company. I get no sleep. And I know I have to make that page for docto show some of the custom stuff we’ve been selling. I’ve never had so many balls in the air. Glad you enjoyed,Ruz. Come back. We’ll be better every year. Thanks again.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#764 » by dobrojim » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Anybody want an Andray Blatche bobble head?

Okay, I didn't think so either...was going through a well above avg cluttered room
in our house and came across it. A Nene and a Wall bobblehead as well. Bound to be
worth a fortune some day.

final random thought - not many random thoughts these days...had to go 4-5 pages deep to find it.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#765 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:08 pm

Nene came into the NBA around the same time as Kwame Brown and Brendan Haywood. He is still in the league.

Literally last night I was watching ESPN Sportscenter, and who else but Nene had a highlight. He dunked after receiving a pass from Chris Paul.

Gortat is out of the NBA but he's quite a bit younger than Nene.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#766 » by dobrojim » Fri Mar 1, 2019 3:55 pm

I have a Gortat framed picture thingie from the Wizards, and a similar Oubre thing.
It's just clutter hanging around my house. I should dispose of them. Maybe I could
take them to a Wizards game and drop them off and planholder services.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#767 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:53 pm

bumping this after just a few minutes ago getting the news that one of my
dearest friends passed this morning after battling pancreatic cancer for
3.5 years. In no way was this news a surprise but it hurts. Alot. And we also
just put our dog down 3 days ago. This sucks.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#768 » by doclinkin » Tue Apr 2, 2019 3:43 pm

dobrojim wrote:bumping this after just a few minutes ago getting the news that one of my
dearest friends passed this morning after battling pancreatic cancer for
3.5 years. In no way was this news a surprise but it hurts. Alot. And we also
just put our dog down 3 days ago. This sucks.

Sorry jim that's hard.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#769 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:11 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a basketball podcast and I did a rough draft to see how I would do.

This is the first internet video I've ever done so I would love any feedback/criticism provided.

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#770 » by closg00 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:04 pm

Good first effort Dat, I thought that your content and analysis were very good, but it could have been a little more succinct on player strengths/weaknesses. Your voice was kind of down, project your voice with more volume, and speak faster too. Good stuff :rock:
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#771 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 pm

closg00 wrote:Good first effort Dat, I thought that your content and analysis were very good, but it could have been a little more succinct on player strengths/weaknesses. Your voice was kind of down, project your voice with more volume, and speak faster too. Good stuff :rock:

Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I will prepare next time and try to keep it under 10 minutes.

Everything was off the top of my head and at times I was searching for my next thought lol.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#772 » by doclinkin » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:59 pm

I'm a visual guy. Watching a talking head for 15 minutes is a hard sell. The analysis is always good, but what I think would give the most pop is if you were able to iso sections of video that show examples of what solidified your opinion. What you are selling in part is your 'eye test'. Plenty of people delve into stat analysis, but what has worked well for you in analysis of prospects has been the combination of respect for stats and your instincts from the eyes-on sight read of players. The audience wants to see what you see, instead of looking at your big fat head. Very few people have a big fat head that is interesting to look at by itself (Charles Barkley and Shaq perhaps). So. Scout with us. As if we were sitting side by side at a game. Consider also a three quarter length shot. Even on TV the commentators are seen from the waist up. We're not tryna kiss you, give us a little space. I feel like I can smell what you ate for lunch if we are in too close. And from a little space away you can feel free to move a bit without giving us motion sickness from natural head movements. Agreed on the monotone voice, you've got firey opinions, maybe find someone to play off of so you can get into a passionate discussion. The Dat I like will talk a little **** before getting all transcendental. Unless being the Zen Scout is your thing. Even so I want a visual mandala to look at. Something to peek at. Props for putting yourself out there. I'd love to see you with guest heads talking. Just my instant assessment. You've got good insight always, so put it in a package that people will sit through. Maybe break it down into Tiers and chew through each tier, 5 minutes here or there, 15 minutes is a long time to watch someone talk. Maybe if it were a podcast then I could listen while doing something else, not feel rude for not watching the screen :clown: . Props so far, I'm curious to see what you come up with next.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#773 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

doclinkin wrote:I'm a visual guy. Watching a talking head for 15 minutes is a hard sell. The analysis is always good, but what I think would give the most pop is if you were able to iso sections of video that show examples of what solidified your opinion. What you are selling in part is your 'eye test'. Plenty of people delve into stat analysis, but what has worked well for you in analysis of prospects has been the combination of respect for stats and your instincts from the eyes-on sight read of players. The audience wants to see what you see, instead of looking at your big fat head. Very few people have a big fat head that is interesting to look at by itself (Charles Barkley and Shaq perhaps). So. Scout with us. As if we were sitting side by side at a game. Consider also a three quarter length shot. Even on TV the commentators are seen from the waist up. We're not tryna kiss you, give us a little space. I feel like I can smell what you ate for lunch if we are in too close. And from a little space away you can feel free to move a bit without giving us motion sickness from natural head movements. Agreed on the monotone voice, you've got firey opinions, maybe find someone to play off of so you can get into a passionate discussion. The Dat I like will talk a little **** before getting all transcendental. Unless being the Zen Scout is your thing. Even so I want a visual mandala to look at. Something to peek at. Props for putting yourself out there. I'd love to see you with guest heads talking. Just my instant assessment. You've got good insight always, so put it in a package that people will sit through. Maybe break it down into Tiers and chew through each tier, 5 minutes here or there, 15 minutes is a long time to watch someone talk. Maybe if it were a podcast then I could listen while doing something else, not feel rude for not watching the screen :clown: . Props so far, I'm curious to see what you come up with next.

Thank you. I appreciate you held no punches. This is great feedback. I will definitely use it!
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,970

Post#774 » by DCZards » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Good feedback thus far. Agree that it needs to be little shorter and your comments need to be more succinct..and that you need to project your voice.

Also, when talking about a particular player you should be sure to use their name occasionally during the course of your analysis--and not only when you initially introduce a given player. Some people will surf ahead through your video and they will want to know what player you're talking about at any given point in your video. So say "Barrett" from time to time when talking about RJ rather than simply saying "he" throughout your analysis of him.

Props to you for stepping out there and taking advantage of this medium, Dat. Most of us don't have the nerve to go public with our opinions.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 614

Post#775 » by trast66 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Doclinkin feedback is strong. We all have short attention spans, so 2 to 3 minutes per prospect or team needs profile with video as separate “pods”. As Doc says “we want to see what you see”. Impressive how much thought you have put in and can talk seemingly without notes. And I’d like a section on a Ben Simmons take down.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#776 » by payitforward » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:13 pm

I won't be able to watch this until tomorrow, dat, but I look forward to it & will respond w/ impressions & thoughts.

Most important point is evident w/o even screening it: that you have the ambition to do something of this kind. That's the biggest speed bump right there! So, you are to be congratulated!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#777 » by montestewart » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:30 pm

Dat2U wrote:
doclinkin wrote:I'm a visual guy. Watching a talking head for 15 minutes is a hard sell. The analysis is always good, but what I think would give the most pop is if you were able to iso sections of video that show examples of what solidified your opinion. What you are selling in part is your 'eye test'. Plenty of people delve into stat analysis, but what has worked well for you in analysis of prospects has been the combination of respect for stats and your instincts from the eyes-on sight read of players. The audience wants to see what you see, instead of looking at your big fat head. Very few people have a big fat head that is interesting to look at by itself (Charles Barkley and Shaq perhaps). So. Scout with us. As if we were sitting side by side at a game. Consider also a three quarter length shot. Even on TV the commentators are seen from the waist up. We're not tryna kiss you, give us a little space. I feel like I can smell what you ate for lunch if we are in too close. And from a little space away you can feel free to move a bit without giving us motion sickness from natural head movements. Agreed on the monotone voice, you've got firey opinions, maybe find someone to play off of so you can get into a passionate discussion. The Dat I like will talk a little **** before getting all transcendental. Unless being the Zen Scout is your thing. Even so I want a visual mandala to look at. Something to peek at. Props for putting yourself out there. I'd love to see you with guest heads talking. Just my instant assessment. You've got good insight always, so put it in a package that people will sit through. Maybe break it down into Tiers and chew through each tier, 5 minutes here or there, 15 minutes is a long time to watch someone talk. Maybe if it were a podcast then I could listen while doing something else, not feel rude for not watching the screen :clown: . Props so far, I'm curious to see what you come up with next.

Thank you. I appreciate you held no punches. This is great feedback. I will definitely use it!

Nothing much additional to add to doclinkin and others. Agree: shorter presentation, faster, more even delivery, clips to illustrate your observations, the podcast idea wasn't bad and could grab a larger audience. I kind of liked the volume of your delivery (ever listened to the Nivek/Fishercob podcasts?), kind of a nice contrast to some of these that yell, and makes it seem more cerebral; might also work well in tandem with a more excitable person. Nice first effort, hope to see more. And you don't have a big fat head.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#778 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:40 am

montestewart wrote: And you don't have a big fat head.

Big and fat. It's like a butterball turkey poking out the collar of his shirt. Metaphorically speaking.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#779 » by doclinkin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 am

Dat2U wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of doing a basketball podcast and I did a rough draft to see how I would do.

This is the first internet video I've ever done so I would love any feedback/criticism provided.

Episode concepts:

1. "Who Dat is?"
Bonafides. Our board seems to wait until you come out with your tiers before their opinion solidifies. How do you build your tiers. Self analysis. Grade your own drafts. Biggest hits and misses. How your mocks stack against real life in terms of long term value (not accuracy of predicting what other teams will do). Why you crush the competition. Methodology. Aspirations. Frustrations with current status quo. How you hope to revolutionize player evaluation, drafts. Or at least get a job with your hometown favorite team. What is your definition of feel. Or as you pronounce it: "Phil" :clown: Examples on video. Or in word pictures. Brag a little. Self promotion.

2. Tier One:
Why it's all Zion. Who else has been on this tier before. Some drafts have no true Tier One player (HOF potential). Concerns and how you would shape his game. His role at the next level, best fits with prospective teams and what it would look like if KD, Kyrie and Zion were on the Knicks. Brief digression on if they land the #2 pick, with Kyrie interested in coming, what they might do and what they should do.

3. Ja Rules. Tier Two: allstar territory.
Rumor: Jerry West says Ja Morant is the best player in the draft. Make the case, then discuss why you would have trouble pulling the trigger. Zion vs Ja. Have the debate, then win the debate against yourself.

4. Tier Three. Lottery conversation. How deep is this draft. How many players are worth a pick at all in the 4-12 range. Or should your team trade TF down and out. If trading down who do you got. Boom/Bust players. Gambles. Worth the risk? Or better to get a role player or two and a future pick.

5. Role players and prospects. Upside vs production. Productive player vs prospects. Low floor vs high ceiling. Your philosophy on that.

6. A Brief tour through Europe. International players who have caught your eye. Masai Ujiri's comment that there are dozens of Embiids walking around in Africa.

7. Sleepers late. Draft and stash, guys you wish you had round 2 picks to steal and take a look at.

Just some ideas of episodes you could patter about, and areas you could dive deeper. Or leastways things I would like to hear you talk about.
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#780 » by Illuminaire » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:16 pm

One more suggestion for you, Dat. Your eyes are looking below the camera, so it feels like you're staring at my chest. Just lift your eyes a little bit to where your camera is.

Return to Washington Wizards