ImageImageImageImageImage

Kings General Discussion 2018-2019

Moderators: City of Trees, KF10, codydaze

simonbampfield
Analyst
And1: 783

Re: Kings General Discussion 2018-2019 

Post#901 » by simonbampfield » Wed Apr 3, 2019 4:17 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Honestly why the hell do we continue to give WCS minutes? The guy is completely worthless. I'd rather see what caleb swanigan can do and let bagley start at center.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app

I think giving Swanigan some minutes is a really good idea. See what he can do. There is no point in trotting out the same line-up over and over again without being able to make the playoffs.
The guys had their chance, gave it a really good crack and fell short. Now turn it over to the guys that don't get minutes to give them some burn.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Starter
And1: 728

Post#902 » by BoogieTime » Wed Apr 3, 2019 5:05 am

RipPizzaGuy wrote:Honestly why the hell do we continue to give WCS minutes? The guy is completely worthless. I'd rather see what caleb swanigan can do and let bagley start at center.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app

It would have been interesting if they brought in another center at the deadline
becorz
Starter
And1: 369

Post#903 » by becorz » Mon Apr 8, 2019 9:02 pm

So, what is everyone's free agency wish list? This is likely the last season that the Kings will have money to spend under the cap, so I would like the team to spend it!

(All my calculations here are based on SportsTrac and my understanding of the cap. Please correct me if I am wrong)

Yogi has an unguaranteed deal worth $3,150,000. Mason has an unguarenteed deal worth $1,618,520. For simplicity, I am considering them cut. I am also considering everyone's bird rights, except WCS, waived, for simplicity sake.

Matt Barnes (Stretched) - $2133542
Harrison Barnes  - $25102513
Marvin Bagley III - $8556120
Bogdan Bogdanovic - $8529386
Nemanja Bjelica - $6825000
De'Aaron Fox - $6392760
Buddy Hield - $4861208
Harry Giles - $2578800
Caleb Swanigan - $2033160
Willey Cauley-Stein (Cap Hold) - $14090625
Incomplete Roster Charge - $890162

That is a total of $83,773,600, leaving the Kings with $25,226,400 in cap room. (I am a little clear on WCS's value, if this can be his QO or if it has to be his cap hold, but I will assume the larger of the two).

Get rid of WCS's cap hold and replace it with a roster charge, the Kings have $38,426,863.

And it will be interesting to see what happens with Barnes, if they give him something like 4/$80m to carve out some more cap room.

So, what do you want to do with that cap room? My dream seems a little different than what I have seen elsewhere. I would love if the Kings could go after Bojan Bogdonovic and a lesser prices (compared to Vuc) center/power forward like Nikola Mirotic, Brooke Lopez, or Jonas Valanciunas. And get rid of Willey Cauley-Stein. Or bring him back at the QO of roughly $7 million, telling him he is riding the bench. That would leave the team with a ton of options, given Barnes ability to play 3/4.

Given our cap, I think the team could get Bogdonovic $20m a year (though that might be low) and one of those centers for a bit more than the MLE.

What are you all rooting for?
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 969

Post#904 » by SacKingZZZ » Mon Apr 8, 2019 10:36 pm

Cut Yogi, let Willie walk, cut Swanigan (they could always re-sign him later), and cut Frank. They have to be careful about not getting someone who doesn't do much if they aren't scoring. There isn't much room for any more shot gobblers. Throw a deal at Terry Rozier to be a backup at PG and go after one of Deandre Jordan, JV, or an underrated player like Vonleh and keep some room under the salary cap.
becorz
Starter

Post#905 » by becorz » Mon Apr 8, 2019 10:52 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:Cut Yogi, let Willie walk, cut Swanigan (they could always re-sign him later), and cut Frank. They have to be careful about not getting someone who doesn't do much if they aren't scoring. There isn't much room for any more shot gobblers. Throw a deal at Terry Rozier to be a backup at PG and go after one of Deandre Jordan, JV, or an underrated player like Vonleh and keep some room under the salary cap.

My understanding is that the Blazers picked up Swanigan's contract for next year already, so it is already guaranteed. So, we can't really cut him. Is that correct?

On my end, this is the Kings last chance to get an impact player before our roster is more or less locked down. That is why I want Bojan.

I just wish there was a center who was good at rebounding, would add some grit to the team, and can shoot from three. (Yes, this is a Cousins joke)
simonbampfield
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#906 » by simonbampfield » Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:37 am

SacKingZZZ wrote:Cut Yogi, let Willie walk, cut Swanigan (they could always re-sign him later), and cut Frank. They have to be careful about not getting someone who doesn't do much if they aren't scoring. There isn't much room for any more shot gobblers. Throw a deal at Terry Rozier to be a backup at PG and go after one of Deandre Jordan, JV, or an underrated player like Vonleh and keep some room under the salary cap.

I think the backup PG role has been overlooked somewhat as a need so I would have to agree with this.
DJ might be good too if we can get him on a short deal.
I think Vlade takes a similar approach as he did at the deadline. He will have a few things lined up, but not push the panic button and just sign someone because there is space.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#907 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Apr 9, 2019 10:22 pm

becorz wrote:

My understanding is that the Blazers picked up Swanigan's contract for next year already, so it is already guaranteed. So, we can't really cut him. Is that correct?

On my end, this is the Kings last chance to get an impact player before our roster is more or less locked down. That is why I want Bojan.

I just wish there was a center who was good at rebounding, would add some grit to the team, and can shoot from three. (Yes, this is a Cousins joke)

Did they? All I've seen is his options listed as team on most cap sheets.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#908 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
becorz wrote:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/caleb-swanigan-23621/
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#909 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
becorz wrote:My understanding is that the Blazers picked up Swanigan's contract for next year already, so it is already guaranteed. So, we can't really cut him. Is that correct?

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/caleb-swanigan-23621/

Yeah I guess they did practically in preseason. Hmmm... even more ridiculous that Dave hasn't played him down the stretch then.
becorz
Starter

Post#910 » by becorz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:11 pm

simonbampfield wrote:

I think the backup PG role has been overlooked somewhat as a need so I would have to agree with this.
DJ might be good too if we can get him on a short deal.
I think Vlade takes a similar approach as he did at the deadline. He will have a few things lined up, but not push the panic button and just sign someone because there is space.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The problem is, what level of backup PG are you going to be able to get when Fox is the starter and they are really no extra minutes available at the SG? I couldn't see Rozier giving us a look at all. I really don't think a Collison or a Beverly would give us a look. Really, I think we are looking at Jeremy Lin, at the most, giving us a look. But we probably will just bring Yogi back and use Bogdan at PG in the event that Fox gets hurt.
BoogieTime
Starter
And1: 728

Post#911 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:14 am

It would still be the wrong move to let Joerger go. He’s still IMO largely responsible for the turnaround.

I’m obviously not as partial to Vlade as he’s reported to be in extension talks. He’s had a questionable run, and this year the Shump/Burks trade, how Skal looked, questions about Doncic although Bagley has really looked to be a star.

If anyone is let go, it shouldn’t be Joerger though. Tough to find good, energetic young coaches
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 2,939

Post#912 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 am

Yeah, despite his flaws, I still roll with Joerger. Continuity and improvement should be the message here.
bleeds_purple
Veteran
And1: 1,378

Post#913 » by bleeds_purple » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 am

Jeorger should get replaced down the line but not for one or two more years. He will never be the coach to take a team to the promise land. Mr. No Adjustments.

I'd like to add a bigger guard in the back court. Haven't really looked into who's out there. Lin would be an OK option.

Need a center who can hold down the paint and shoot the J. Our rebounding woes are a bit overblown. Once we got Barnes we stopped getting killed on the boards as much.
jazanetti
Junior
And1: 38

Post#914 » by jazanetti » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 am

becorz wrote:So, what is everyone's free agency wish list?

This team needs alfa with balls. I hope Barnes'll opt out and go away. And my first target is Jimmy Batler. I'd offer him 4 year max.
P.S. and, please, do not make QO for Willie! Just let him find another barber, because he looks and playes like a girl with the beard :D
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#915 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:39 am

I'm split on Joerger coming back. I'm leaning towards them moving on considering his instability with the rotations, the teams record against .500+ teams, the W/L record in the last 25 games, and his desire to play in the paint and lose the three point battle almost every game. I don't think he's the right fit for the players and continuity means nothing if that's your starting point. If the plan were to re-sign Demarcus I think him staying would make sense but the roster as is needs a coach that lives and breathes up tempo basketball.
jeffjtk1234
Starter
And1: 284

Post#916 » by jeffjtk1234 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Well stuffs going down right now, Williams is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
becorz
Starter

Post#917 » by becorz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 pm

Man, if you fire Joerger after a 12 win improvement, I don't see how you are going to attract a top tier coach to Sacramento.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#918 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 pm

becorz wrote:Man, if you fire Joerger after a 12 win improvement, I don't see how you are going to attract a top tier coach to Sacramento.

I think the amount of talent Vlade has assembled will make that job quite appealing.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 3,194

Post#919 » by dckingsfan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:44 am

Who is Nikola Vucevic's favorite coach?
SactoKingsFan
Analyst
And1: 2,123

Post#920 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 am

dckingsfan wrote:Who is Nikola Vucevic's favorite coach?
Probably Steve Clifford. On the Woj podcast Vucevic said Clifford was the perfect coach for that team and gave him a lot of credit for his all-star season.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Return to Sacramento Kings