ImageImageImageImageImage

The Troy Brown Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Re: The Troy Brown Thread 

Post#401 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:19 pm

payitforward wrote:Still, at least we got a guy who looks to be quite promising (as do Huerter, Shamet, Spellman, Robinson & several other players. It was a deep draft. Too bad we didn't come away with 2 young players....

We actually got two young guys last offseason who appear to be quite promising--of course we still have to resign Bryant.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#402 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:33 pm

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:Still, at least we got a guy who looks to be quite promising (as do Huerter, Shamet, Spellman, Robinson & several other players. It was a deep draft. Too bad we didn't come away with 2 young players....

We actually got two young guys last offseason who appear to be quite promising--of course we still have to resign Bryant.

You are right, & it is hard to imagine that we won't resign Bryant. But, obviously, I mean "come away from that deep draft with 2 young players."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#403 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 2, 2019 7:08 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:Also, for what it's worth, the game I went to a couple weeks ago, Troy was engage the entire time. Every timeout he was coming to the bench and asking questions. Every good play he would get up and clap. The explosiveness and above the rim finishing will likely never happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Troy Brown Jr. develop into a good NBA player. If his 3-point shot becomes consistent so that he can space the floor off-ball and force teams to close-out hard when he's at the three point line I can envision him being a legit 3rd option on a championship team. And that's not even talking about his passing. Very excited to see Troy develop over the next couple of years.

Yeah, he's got a very high BBIQ on the offensive end - passes well and doesn't turn the ball over. He's especially good in transition - makes the right decisions and finishes well. Not the typical EG pick - I think Ernie did well on this pick - not a homerun but a solid double in the gap.

Dat & I were both quite critical of the pick of Troy Brown, & (without speaking for him) I imagine we still feel the same way.

There's a difference between a pick (an asset you expend for a benefit) on the one hand & a player on the other hand. I was pretty sure we could have used the #15 pick to get 2 lower R1 picks or at least 1 of those & a high R2 pick. In particular I discussed trading the #15 to the Hawks for #19 & #30 or for #19 & #34.

We might still have gotten Troy Brown but also gotten either Omari Spellman or Mitchell Robinson. Or we might have gotten Huerter & Spellman. Or if it had been #30 & 34 (tho I don't think I would have made exactly that trade -- maybe needed '19 R2 pick as well) we might have gotten Spellman & Robinson.

Of course, I don't know which if any of those trades would actually have been available, & at the time I didn't know exactly what players would be there. What I can say for sure is that last year like this year we were badly in need of an infusion of young talent. For that reason, this year like last year, I think we'd be wise to trade down.

Still, at least we got a guy who looks to be quite promising (as do Huerter, Shamet, Spellman, Robinson & several other players. It was a deep draft. Too bad we didn't come away with 2 young players....

That's a lot of speculation - some reasonable and some not - that we'll never know about. My guess is that neither you or Ernest could have gotten both Huerter and Spellman. As far as centers, If my memory's right, you and Dat both wanted Williams, while I preferred Robinson. How's that working out? :wink: I stick with what I said - EG hit a solid 2ble on this one.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,956

Post#404 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:28 pm

Brown is going to be a starter next year with Beal by the end of the season.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#405 » by DCZards » Tue Apr 2, 2019 8:48 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Brown is going to be a starter next year with Beal by the end of the season.

Brown could very well be a starter at the beginning of the season.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#406 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:02 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Brown is going to be a starter next year with Beal by the end of the season.

This. I hope he works his tail off in the off-season. I might think it won't happen because of our current coach - but if he started the season playing starter's minutes - then I would be fine with that as well.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#407 » by prime1time » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:09 pm

Anyone want to speculate what his numbers could be or what his ceiling is? Didn't really want to rehash draft debates lol. I wrote my post because I'm pretty excited about him tbh. Andre Igoudala with a 3-point shot is a really good player.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#408 » by payitforward » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:25 am

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, he's got a very high BBIQ on the offensive end - passes well and doesn't turn the ball over. He's especially good in transition - makes the right decisions and finishes well. Not the typical EG pick - I think Ernie did well on this pick - not a homerun but a solid double in the gap.

Dat & I were both quite critical of the pick of Troy Brown, & (without speaking for him) I imagine we still feel the same way.

There's a difference between a pick (an asset you expend for a benefit) on the one hand & a player on the other hand. I was pretty sure we could have used the #15 pick to get 2 lower R1 picks or at least 1 of those & a high R2 pick. In particular I discussed trading the #15 to the Hawks for #19 & #30 or for #19 & #34.

We might still have gotten Troy Brown but also gotten either Omari Spellman or Mitchell Robinson. Or we might have gotten Huerter & Spellman. Or if it had been #30 & 34 (tho I don't think I would have made exactly that trade -- maybe needed '19 R2 pick as well) we might have gotten Spellman & Robinson.

Of course, I don't know which if any of those trades would actually have been available, & at the time I didn't know exactly what players would be there. What I can say for sure is that last year like this year we were badly in need of an infusion of young talent. For that reason, this year like last year, I think we'd be wise to trade down.

Still, at least we got a guy who looks to be quite promising (as do Huerter, Shamet, Spellman, Robinson & several other players. It was a deep draft. Too bad we didn't come away with 2 young players....

That's a lot of speculation - some reasonable and some not - that we'll never know about. My guess is that neither you or Ernest could have gotten both Huerter and Spellman. As far as centers, If my memory's right, you and Dat both wanted Williams, while I preferred Robinson. How's that working out? :wink: I stick with what I said - EG hit a solid 2ble on this one.

So you agree that we could have gotten Huerter & Robinson. Or Spellman & Robinson -- is that it?

As to Centers -- you will recall that Williams fouled his nest a few days before the draft & fell @ a dozen spots. I certainly wasn't calling for him at #15 by that point. In fact, I was calling for us to trade down -- repeatedly.

That said, of course we'll never know what would have happened -- which is why I used the word "might." Still, fine. I'm willing to compromise: Ernie hit a bloop single -- & that's not a description of Brown but of Ernie's work in the 2018 draft. :) Can't say he struck out, obviously. But... he wasn't as solid as the word "double" would imply.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#409 » by payitforward » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:27 am

dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:

This. I hope he works his tail off in the off-season. I might think it won't happen because of our current coach - but if he started the season playing starter's minutes - then I would be fine with that as well.

The more he plays the better -- to me that's more important than whether he starts.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#410 » by keynote » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:31 am

I don't see the Iggy comparison at all. Iggy was a world class athlete. He had every single physical advantage you'd want in a wing -- quickness, strength, body control, explosiveness, wingspan, etc. Even now, as an older player, Iggy is still a strong player who is rarley overpowered by opposing wings.

Brown's floor-bound playmaking style reminds me more of Evan Turner, or a slightly more creative (but shorter armed) Garrett Temple.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Post#411 » by NatP4 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:37 am

I'd say, Evan Turner with a 3pt shot and much more consistent defense. Far more Iggy than Evan Turner IMO. Better athlete than he gets credit for. High level basketball IQ. Doesn't turn it over, can handle it like a true PG, has vision and playmaking, defends and rebounds, his jumpshot and ability to create his own shot look very promising.

I think we hit a home run with the Brown pick. We need to hit another one with Deandre Hunter or Brandon Clarke in this upcoming draft and also untrade Otto and Oubre.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#412 » by prime1time » Wed Apr 3, 2019 5:03 am

Evan Turner is an interesting comparison. I can definitely see it, but because Evan is a career 29.4% 3-point shooter, it's hard to play out the fits in my head. Next year will give us a much better feel for where this his skill level is because this year the sample size is so small. I do think we hit a home-run with the pick though. Evan Turner with a 3-point shot, is an elite role player. Maybe if we are lucky Brown Jr. will also grown an inch or two lol. Looking forward to seeing him grow.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#413 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 3, 2019 10:06 am

Yeah, I think people forget that Turner was the 2nd pick of the Wall draft. If he had developed a 3 point shot, he'd have become a heckuva player. Garrett Temple is listed at 6'6, but he looks more like 6'4; at least 3 inches shorter than Brown and really lacks scoring ability - he scores some mainly because teams don't guard him. He's made a long NBA career on his defense, hustle, and great attitude.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#414 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:47 pm

I think that Brown was drafted as a wing - really a SF and that turns out to be a mistake. He is a guard and really has the passing, ball handling and vision of a PG. And, he seems to be able to guard quick PG.

So, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... then our coach will use him as a horse.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#415 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:53 pm

prime1time wrote:Anyone want to speculate what his numbers could be or what his ceiling is? Didn't really want to rehash draft debates lol. I wrote my post because I'm pretty excited about him tbh. Andre Igoudala with a 3-point shot is a really good player.

My guess:

Code: Select all

TS%     DRB%   AST%   STL%  BLK%  TOV%   WS/48   VORP
0.491   17.3   15.4   1.5   0.6   10.8   0.046   -0.2
0.550   17.3   24.0   1.8   0.5   12.0   0.100    0.8
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,281

Post#416 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:00 pm

DCZards wrote:

I think a lot will depend on the draft pick.

If we end up with a guard like, say, Darius Garland, then I would expect a 3-guard rotation of Sato, Beal, Garland, freeing up Brown to start at SF.

If we end up drafting a forward, like, say, Hunter or Culver, then Hunter/Culver might start at the 3, leaving Brown to be the 3rd guard behind Sato and Beal.

I don't expect Brown to leapfrog Sato as a starter by the beginning of the season, but I suppose it's possible.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#417 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:02 pm

NatP4 wrote:I think we hit a home run with the Brown pick. We need to hit another one with Deandre Hunter or Brandon Clarke in this upcoming draft and also untrade Otto and Oubre.

:lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#418 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:05 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think that Brown was drafted as a wing - really a SF and that turns out to be a mistake. He is a guard and really has the passing, ball handling and vision of a PG. And, he seems to be able to guard quick PG.

So, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck... then our coach will use him as a horse.

Ever since Wall went down, I think Brooks has been pretty good about just putting in big ball handlers and running the offense without any true PG. He'll let Beal, Sato, Brown or McRae run the sets. It doesn't matter. Brooks seems to be embracing positionless basketball.

It's too bad that, despite all the size and switchability we put on the floor at the guard/forward positions, we still suck at defense.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#419 » by dckingsfan » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:13 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think that Brown was drafted as a wing - really a SF and that turns out to be a mistake. He is a guard and really has the passing, ball handling and vision of a PG. And, he seems to be able to guard quick PG.

Ever since Wall went down, I think Brooks has been pretty good about just putting in big ball handlers and running the offense without any true PG. He'll let Beal, Sato, Brown or McRae run the sets. It doesn't matter. Brooks seems to be embracing positionless basketball.

It's too bad that, despite all the size and switchability we put on the floor at the guard/forward positions, we still suck at defense.

Well, a guard rotation of Satoransky/Beal/Brown won't suck at D. If you moved Bryant to PF, that would help (IMO). But we don't have a legit rim protector or a lockdown SF. If you don't have one of those two - yeah, you will suck on D :D

BTW, which possible draft pick fits the lockdown SF or rim protecting C that the Wiz could grab? I guess it is a bit rhetorical in this thread but...
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#420 » by Dark Faze » Wed Apr 3, 2019 2:17 pm

Good thing about his play is that it absolutely knocks Ariza out of DC--the idea of extending him was always silly.

Return to Washington Wizards