ImageImageImageImage

What should Orlando do with Vuc?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

What to do with Vuc after the season?

Sign him at all cost
19%
Sign him only for the right price
46%
Let him walk it is time to let Me Bamba grow
20%
Try to sign and trade him
10%
Sign Vuc and trade Mo Bamba
4%

Total votes: 125

Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 341

What should Orlando do with Vuc? 

Post#1 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 7:11 pm

With Vuc's pending free agency the magic have a big decision to make. Do they keep Vuc or let him go? If we keep him, do we keep Mo Bamba?

Vuc is having a career year, made the All-Star team, and the team is on the verge of their first playoff appearance in almost a decade. But is that the furthest the Magic could get with Vuc?

What do you think we should do?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Re: What should Orlando do with Vuc? 

Post#2 » by Skin » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:17 pm

Everyone is gonna vote "sign him for the right price", but everyone is gonna disagree on what that right price is.

I think he'll get 4 years, $120M at the minimum... is that ya'lls right price? That's 4 year starter money. Kiss Bamba good bye.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,577

Post#3 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:25 pm

Can't see them paying him 30m a year when you might be able to get Brook Lopez and Julius Randle for half that.
Skin
RealGM

Post#4 » by Skin » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:36 pm

basketballRob wrote:Can't see them paying him 30m a year when you might be able to get Brook Lopez and Julius Randle for half that.

If they want to be competitive for his services, then they'll have to pay him that. Vlade is not kidding around. He wants Vuc.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,908

Post#5 » by Knightro » Fri Apr 5, 2019 8:36 pm

I think he'll end up resigning for 3 years, 75M or so.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,840

Post#6 » by JF5 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:11 pm

Skin wrote:Everyone is gonna vote "sign him for the right price", but everyone is gonna disagree on what that right price is.

I think he'll get 4 years, $120M at the minimum... is that ya'lls right price? That's 4 year starter money. Kiss Bamba good bye.

You're ridiculous... There is no way in hell Kemba is coming here unless there is another star/all-star caliber player on this team. The man is pushing 30 and there is no way he'd wait for a bunch of young/raw players to develop within 3-4 years. It would be no different than him staying with Charlotte.

If the Magic want a shot at immediate competition they'll resign Vuc. If they want to go the complete rebuild route which will take 3-4 years they'll let him walk.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#7 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:18 pm

Skin wrote:Everyone is gonna vote "sign him for the right price", but everyone is gonna disagree on what that right price is.

$120M over 4 years (minimum) is starter money to you? That is $30M a year man.

Yes, 10 players in the league are making $30M or more this season. But those are not “starters” those are SUPER STARS.

There are 30 teams who start 5 players a game. So if every league we’re to play just one lineup all year then you have 150 starters in the league.

The #150 highest salary in the league this year is Jeremy Lamb at $7.5M.

Yes, Vuc will get starter money but the right price is somewhere between $30M and $7.5M ... all of which is still “starter money” according to the data.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#8 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:20 pm

Knightro wrote:I think he'll end up resigning for 3 years, 75M or so.

As long as either the 3rd year is a team option (unlikely) or it is a declining deal like Gordon then I am fine with this.

$35 / 25 / 15 million works for me.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#9 » by OrlandO » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:23 pm

Well it is documented that Weltman hopes to negotiate and sign him... he's already said this like 3 times in the past couple months after being awfully quiet about the situation earlier in the season. I am guessing Weltman is looking for something in the 20-25m range, possibly three years rather than four. The question is, is that a negotiating tactic or does he actually have a hard figure in mind. I suppose Vuc can gain or lose a few million per year depending on how he plays in the post season... if we get there.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,082

Post#10 » by SOUL » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:25 pm

Sign him for the right price. Would absolutely welcome him back on a short term deal, not interested in a longer deal, however. Hopefully there is something mutually beneficial.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,943

Post#11 » by p0peye » Fri Apr 5, 2019 9:40 pm

It's one of those "do it and you'll regret it, don't do it and you'll regret that too" situations.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is not really up to us if we will be able to keep him or not. He might choose to walk away regardless of our offer and despite of his warm feelings for the city of Orlando.
BadHombre
Senior
And1: 481

Post#12 » by BadHombre » Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:37 pm

We *should* let him go. Follow the Net's example and move our Brook Lopez and try to find out Russell. We will have the option to sign Birch, or many other capable C's, to cheaper deals whilst we wait on Bamba. Once we sign Vuc, though, we won't have the option to sign any SGs with potential.

Or, you sign him, and hope that this 1 season in a 7 season sample with us, isn't just a contract year outlier. And then hope we get lucky in the draft or with a big trade. Vuc has a track record of getting lazy, especially on defense, and Clifford has a track record of his teams stagnating after their first season with him. That's a dangerous combo.

It's all gambles in the end. You just have to choose whether to stick with the devil you know, or taking a chance on a new direction.
Mauro Pedrosa
Analyst
And1: 4,387

Post#13 » by Mauro Pedrosa » Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:07 pm

Let him walk. Thanks for the memories (unironically)
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#14 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:47 pm

Given we don't know the free agency market value for Vuc, the health of Bamba or the trade value for either of them ... can we simply say:

"Whatever is best for the Orlando Magic?"

All it takes is one team to surprise you with the right offer and all goes out the window. No one is untouchable on this roster and no one is worth anchoring our financial future to.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#15 » by MoMM » Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:51 pm

Re-sign him, 80-100M 4-year deal.

Keep Bamba for now, since his value is all-time low.
Skin
RealGM

Post#16 » by Skin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:26 am

JF5 wrote:

You're ridiculous... There is no way in hell Kemba is coming here unless there is another star/all-star caliber player on this team. The man is pushing 30 and there is no way he'd wait for a bunch of young/raw players to develop within 3-4 years. It would be no different than him staying with Charlotte.

If the Magic want a shot at immediate competition they'll resign Vuc. If they want to go the complete rebuild route which will take 3-4 years they'll let him walk.

We'll see who's ridiculous when Vuc gets his new contract. I bet I won't be too far off.

But you are right... There is no way in hell Kemba is coming here. Not sure where that memo started off from. Are you seriously thinking that's happening?
Skin
RealGM

Post#17 » by Skin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:28 am

MagicFan101 wrote:

Yes, 10 players in the league are making $30M or more this season. But those are not “starters” those are SUPER STARS.

There are 30 teams who start 5 players a game. So if every league we’re to play just one lineup all year then you have 150 starters in the league.

Yes, Vuc will get starter money but the right price is somewhere between $30M and $7.5M ... all of which is still “starter money” according to the data.

Go ahead and talk semantics. It's neither here or there. The point is a new 4 year big money deal means there is no path of succession for Bamba in the next 4 years and we wasted a high pick on him.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#18 » by Catledge » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:29 am

I would offer him $100m over 5 years. If we can get him on a descending deal, that's around 17% of the salary cap in his last year, which is totally reasonable.
Skin
RealGM

Post#19 » by Skin » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:31 am

OrlandO wrote:Well it is documented that Weltman hopes to negotiate and sign him... he's already said this like 3 times in the past couple months after being awfully quiet about the situation earlier in the season. I am guessing Weltman is looking for something in the 20-25m range, possibly three years rather than four. The question is, is that a negotiating tactic or does he actually have a hard figure in mind. I suppose Vuc can gain or lose a few million per year depending on how he plays in the post season... if we get there.

Fully believe that Vuc surprised them. They were planning for Bamba to have a future here, but are now going to scrap that plan because Vuc has done enough to impress them.

Our future is murky and questionable.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#20 » by MoMM » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:32 am

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Go ahead and talk semantics. It's neither here or there. The point is a new 4 year big money deal means there is no path of succession for Bamba in the next 4 years and we wasted a high pick on him.

It's not the 1st, neither the last time, that a team will waste a high pick.

We had Hezonja a few years ago, for example. 76ers wasted Fultz when they could have Tatum + another pick.

Return to Orlando Magic