ImageImage

2019 Draft Thread

Moderators: SD2042, VCfor3

Other than Zion, what lottery prospect seems like the best fit for Memphis long term?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 3, 2019 1:45 pm

RJ Barrett
22%
Jarrett Culver
No votes
Ja Morant
44%
Cam Reddish
No votes
De'Andre Hunter
11%
Romeo Langford
No votes
Other
22%

Total votes: 9

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,470

Re: 2019 Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 9, 2019 5:44 pm

2019 NBA Mock Draft 6.0: Projecting All 60 Picks After March Madness

8. Memphis Grizzlies Grizzlies: Darius Garland, PG, Vanderbilt

Height:
6'3" | Weight: 170 | Freshman

It’s still possible the Grizzlies’ pick ends up outside the top eight selections, which would mean it conveys to the Celtics. In this scenario, they hang onto it, and end up with a long-term fix at point guard as they continue to weigh trading Mike Conley. Garland inarguably benefitted from being injured all season, as teams have been parsing his four-game college sample size against mediocre competition while many of his peers have struggled relative to expectations. He has a knack for playmaking and the ability to eventually become a starting point guard, but there are also valid concerns pertaining to his size and athleticism. Expect Garland to land somewhere in this range of the draft on a guard-needy team, although he never entirely had to earn it.
Sports Illustrated
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#22 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Apr 9, 2019 5:44 pm

I would love to see you guys snag De'Andre Hunter and pair him at small ball PF next to JJJ. That has the makings of a defensively dominant front court with lots of spacing from your big men.
PV2nice
Sophomore
And1: 45

Post#23 » by PV2nice » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 am

Any reason why you guys are trying to win tonight and force what appears to be a three way tie for 7th-pre lottery? I get the lottery odds make it difficult to stay put per pre draft results, but don’t you guys want to keep your pick?
[img][img]https://c.o0bg.com/rf/image_1920w/Boston/2011-2020/2017/04/04/BostonGlobe.com/Sports/Images/09052008_mp05pat222-6869591.jpg[/img][/img]
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#24 » by SD2042 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 am

PV2nice wrote:Any reason why you guys are trying to win tonight and force what appears to be a three way tie for 7th-pre lottery? I get the lottery odds make it difficult to stay put per pre draft results, but don’t you guys want to keep your pick?

The Grizzlies full intentions were to have a good enough season to go ahead and covert the pick to Boston to seal the deal from the 2015 trade of Jeff Green. Obviously the last three seasons have not gone in the Grizzlies favor. It would not surprise me the pick will not be convey(rightfully so) this year. It should be next season when the whole convey business should be put to bed once and for all.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#25 » by EricAnderson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 pm

PV2nice wrote:Any reason why you guys are trying to win tonight and force what appears to be a three way tie for 7th-pre lottery? I get the lottery odds make it difficult to stay put per pre draft results, but don’t you guys want to keep your pick?

Not a Grizzlies fan but I’d imagine it’s because this summer they want to trade Conley and completely rebuild without having to worry about giving the pick to the Celtics.

They’d rather give up a mid lotto this year in a very weak draft
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,585

Post#26 » by NYG » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm

What do the Grizzlies need? If those top few tier guys are gone, which late lotto caliber prospects do they like?

Sekou Doumbouya?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#27 » by VCfor3 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:48 am

NYG wrote:What do the Grizzlies need? If those top few tier guys are gone, which late lotto caliber prospects do they like?

Sekou Doumbouya?

Not totally sure. Could see Garland falling to them. Maybe they try to grab him to fill in for Conley when he is moved this offseason?
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,585

Post#28 » by NYG » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:59 am

VCfor3 wrote:
NYG wrote:What do the Grizzlies need? If those top few tier guys are gone, which late lotto caliber prospects do they like?

Sekou Doumbouya?

Not totally sure. Could see Garland falling to them. Maybe they try to grab him to fill in for Conley when he is moved this offseason?

Brandon Clarke? Can JJJ play center?
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#29 » by VCfor3 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:25 am

NYG wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:

Sekou Doumbouya?

Brandon Clarke? Can JJJ play center?

He can be a small ball center as long as someone like JV is on the team for when we go up against true centers. I actually would be happy taking Clarke at 8th I think but others may disagree.
Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#30 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:41 pm

C - Jonas/ splitting mins with former DPOY Noah & JJJ in small ball situations, will reduce fatigue & injury at one of the most taxing positions. It's a better C rotation than what Raptors have had over the last 7 seasons. Very few teams, if any, overall would be better at this position in it's quality, depth & versatility. Memphis would not only be capable of playing half court & up tempo but have 3 very good options in either scenario.

PF - JJJ/ has the potential to end up as one of the top versatile small ball big men in the league, backed by 2 young upside combo forwards in Anderson & Bruno. That's a better situation than a declining Scola & Patterson rotation Raptors successful run started with.

SF - Bruno/Anderson/Holiday/Parsons with Miles as veteran 3 pt depth. Tops Masai trotting out Salmons after trading Gay for depth (Hayes/Patterson/Salmons).

SG - IMO (#8 Keldon Johnson)/ 2 way guard who has the defensive versatility to play small ball 4, Memphis would have the defensive capability to switch everything, with Johnson having the potential to be that versatile offensive wing threat, floor spacer at 3 forward positions. Brooks, Holiday round out young upside depth to challenge/push him (tradeable assets) along with the potential to bring Bradley back as the 6th man giving the bench some offensive pop. Memphis can also utilize combo guard Delon as a secondary ball handler in closing situations to alleviate the rookie or Bradley for that matter in a Ginobli type role. Whereas 3rd year DeRozan was a high usage scorer, miscast as a true #1 & a defensive liability.

PG - Conley/ Allstar calibur PG backed up by quality depth in Delon & Carter/Dorsey is on par with Lowry, who started his Raptors career 4-18.

Grizz bench

Noah/Rabb
Anderson/Rabb
Holiday/Miles/Anderson
Bradley/Holiday/Brooks
Delon/Carter

That's quality depth most teams don't have, which plays a factor (injuries/fatigue) in extra regular season wins.

I think picking Keldon Johnson with his defense first approach, skillset & mental makeup, will bolster the starting rotation out the gate even with him struggling offensively as a rookie. He can get to the rim in one dribble from the 3 pt line so I could imagine how effective he would be driving off a Jonas screen with his ability to shoot from range. Teams would have a hard time containing both him & Conley constantly working the p'n'r with Jonas. With his defensive first mentality, relentless motor & the right mindset. Memphis would only need to get consistency on his good shooting form to unlock his game.

The one negative & considerable one is the West is a tougher division in comparison but I still think this team is capable of making the playoffs.

Outside of Zion & JA I have Keldon Johnson at 6-8.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#31 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:56 pm

I was digging around & found this quote. Couldn't agree more.

NBA superstar Kevin Durant recently broke down Johnson’s film.

“If you need a scorer, man, this guy’s who you need,” Durant said of Johnson.

I'm currently looking for his film breakdown, will post, if I find it.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#32 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#33 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:33 pm

NBA draft net on Johnson

Strengths
- Athletic wing who plays with a lot of heart and determination
- Has an explosive first step that he uses to get by defenders to the rim.
- Shot 38% from behind the arc on just over three APG
- His body is NBA ready for a shooting guard… At 6’6 211, (8'8" SR) he will come into the NBA ready to defend either guard position
- Has a lot of potential on the defensive side of the ball
- He has the strength and the will to fight through screens
- He’s a solid scorer off the dribble ... When a smaller player is on him, he can post them up.
- Good rebounding guard, averaging just shy of 6 PG.
- Good motor
- Well rounded & can adapt
- Willing to do the dirty work, on both ends.
- Moves well off the ball
- Good at finding shooters
- Doesn't need the ball to be a threat offensively
- A winner. A natural leader with very good intangibles …

Weaknesses
- Needs to improve his FT rate
- Improve playmaking ability
- Improve 3pt consistency (Noting he shot 38% on the year).
- Improve catch & shoot coming off p'n'r
- Lacks creativity going East/West
- Slow shooting motion in catch & shoot situations.

My take - Johnson will be an NBA ready 3&D wing with the intangibles, hard work & commitment to winning, with the potentially to be a star player. Being NBA ready in defense & 3pt shooting, he helps towards Memphis conveying next year & with his approach to the game, he shows the necessary desire & work ethic to improve in the long haul. He has defensive versatility to guard 1-4 along with Jackson & Bruno this gives Memphis the ability to switch everything defensively, with all 3 capable of shooting from distance. His rebounding ability as a SG, is an added bonus to a weak rebounding team. Worse case, floor, Memphis ends up with a hard working 3&D wing who does what's necessary to win.

Jonas & Conley high efficiency p'n'r complimented on both ends with Jackson, Bruno & Johnson. All Memphis would need is for any of these young players to develop internally to take a leap into contention.

Starters - Jonas, Jackson, Bruno, Johnson, Conley
Bench - Noah, Anderson, Holiday, Bradley, Delon
3rd string - Rabb, Parson, Miles, Brooks, Carter

Current top 10 - #1 Zion, #2 Morant, #3 Johnson, (#4 Barret, #5 Hunter, #6 Reddish, #7 White, #8 Garland, #9 Culver, #10 Little)

My top 3 picks for Memphis are set, I'm still working on draft order (4-10)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#34 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:18 pm

As a Raptor fan when Massai was rumored to be trading DeRozan into the draft last year for SGA, I was a proponent of trading with Memphis for Parsons & Jackson. I'm interested to see how that pairing pans out. Lowry, Jonas p'n'r was the Raptors most efficient scoring option but defensively they were too weak on the perimeter to compliment him being a slow footed C despite 6 consecutive 50 win seasons & an ECF run. If Memphis draft Johnson, they would have 3 very strong versatile defenders 2-4 that could seamlessly switch several position while being able to space the paint for Jonas & Conley. What makes the situation even better for Memphis is they have a former DPOY player in Noah playing like his old self to back him up defensively & Jackson for small ball situations.

Personally, I love the potential of your front court, Conley is allstar caliber & I think you have a great chance of netting that wing player to tie it all in with this draft.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#35 » by VCfor3 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:13 pm

If we are going for Johnson, I severely hope we trade back some from #3 to pick up additional assets. Someone will be willing to pay to move up to get RJ. Johnson should be able to last as long as we stay above the end of the lottery. I only got to watch a game or two of Johnson and he disappeared in those games so I can't judge him very well.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:35 pm

VCfor3 wrote:If we are going for Johnson, I severely hope we trade back some from #3 to pick up additional assets. Someone will be willing to pay to move up to get RJ. Johnson should be able to last as long as we stay above the end of the lottery. I only got to watch a game or two of Johnson and he disappeared in those games so I can't judge him very well.

Johnson doesn't appear to be going top 8, which would make it all that much better, if Memphis shares my opinion of him.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#37 » by Whole Truth » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 pm

Currently NBAdraft mock draft has Memphis taking Jaxson hayes at 8. It's an intriguing pick with Conley asking to be traded. Memphis might not be looking at locking up Noah. Hayes has an elite frame, long wing span & is projected as an upside defender. He can rebound, guard the rim as well as the p'n'r … a potentially cheap replacement to Noah & compliment to the holes in Jonas game.

Jonas, Hayes, Jackson, Bruno would be a hell of a nice young front court moving forward for Memphis but they would run risk of not conveying next year adding another raw big, losing both Noah & Conley.

I'm thinking, (Lonzo Ball & 20m cap space for Conley) or (11th & pure cap space for Conley) because LA doesn't have contracts to match salary in trades … Conley gets to compete with Lebron where LA can't afford to develop that pick.

Jonas / (#8 Hayes) / Rabb
Jackson / Parsons / Yuta
Bruno / Anderon / Miles
(#11 Johnson) / Holiday / Brooks
Delon / Carter / Dorsey

Without Noah, Conley's game & experience that roster might not Convey next season but it probably wouldn't be the worse thing to add another top 6 pick to it. With that potential front court, Johnson at SG Memphis would only maybe need to upgrade PG depending on how the wing rotation shakes out.

2020 draft, there are expected to be some PG's projected atop the draft like Hampton, Maldon & Anthony, if Memphis fail to convey & land top 6.

Jonas/ Hayes
Jackson
Bruno
Johnson
2020 - Hampton, Maldon, Anthony
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#38 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter