ImageImage

Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

Most likely scenario:

Kemba re-signs with us the moment free agency opens.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else the moment free agency opens.
45%
Kemba re-signs with us within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
13%
Kemba signs with someone else within 1-3 days of free agency opening.
23%
Kemba re-signs with us within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else within 3-7 days of free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba re-signs with us a week+ after free agency opening.
No votes
Kemba signs with someone else a week+ after free agency opening.
6%

Total votes: 47

JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 42,930

Signed By Boston - The Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#1 » by JDR720 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 am

I think this is big enough of a deal to have its own thread.

Read on Twitter

Well, thats not a good start.
Buzzzz
Senior
And1: 552

Re: Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#2 » by Buzzzz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:30 am

Read on Twitter
?s=19
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,121

Post#3 » by Snidely FC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:43 am

I don't know, when he left the court he didn't do any extended waving at the crowd like he wouldn't be seeing the Hive again, just looked bummed and disgusted about losing the game and missing the playoffs, looked miserable, frankly, like us fans
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Kemba Free Agency Thread 

Post#4 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:58 am

It sure seemed like a funeral when Kemba was subbed out of the game in the fourth quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#5 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:01 am

All-NBA - and thus, the supermax - will be critical.

Curry, Harden, Lillard, Kyrie, and Westbrook seemingly take 5 of the spots. Last one looks to be between Kemba, Beal... DLo? Simmons? Bledsoe? Lowry? Paul? Mitchell?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#6 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:12 am

If he doesn’t make All-NBA then he’d be leaving roughly $50M on the table by signing with a new team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
bravor
Starter
And1: 731

Post#7 » by bravor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 am

It depends on what kind of money the Hornets are willing to spend on his new contract. I am pretty sure he genuinely wants to be back despite the roster and his (some of) embarrassing teammates.

As for Kemba's free agency, the word to remind is 'after'
After Durant
After Leonard
After Irving
After etc etc etc

It's not like anyone has reason to panic over other franchise. He will always get more consideration here while in any other place he would be at best a consolation prize.

Again, what will be interesting now has more to do with Kupchak and Hornets FO (will they draft pg's ?) but i sure hope they work out this offseason without messing up their communication. I doubt his side wants to hear about a team friendly contract though (so something around the max most likely, 180Mish).
W_HAMILTON
RealGM
And1: 16,992

Post#8 » by W_HAMILTON » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:48 am

I know """it's a business,""" but we did have Kemba on a contract that was WELL below his current market value due to him re-signing with the team long-term back when he had the chance instead of waiting or doing one of those LeBron type contracts and waiting for the salary cap to explode (where guys like Batum now make double what Kemba is currently making). I don't want to doom us to cap hell forever, but I wouldn't mind going above and beyond to keep him here. I think he deserves it, for a variety of reasons. I would like to see us sign him to the max contract available, but not so high that he would be deemed forever untradeable (like Wall apparently now is).
Howard Mass wrote:You do not have the right to not be offended. Just because something is offensive to you does not mean that it breaks the board rules.
Bassman
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,494

Post#9 » by Bassman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 am

This team continually puts itself into the worst situations. Kemba’s free agency creates the dichotomy of either overpaying for a singular talent who cannot deliver a mediocre team to the playoffs, or losing him for nothing to better teams/situations. Dallas, LA and New York are options. I still believe he wants to win and contend for championships more than slog forward with our albatross organization. If he is truly happy here then it may not matter.
I continue to wait...and hope...for the return to Hornet's glory.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#10 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:27 am

50 million is a lot of coin to pass up
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Vanderbilt_Grad
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#11 » by Vanderbilt_Grad » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am

Read on Twitter

I'll be interested to see if there are any early moves by the team this year to sway Kemba.
My picks:
2020 Draft (3rd pick) - Tyrese Haliburton, Devin Vassell, or Onyeka Okongwu
2021 Draft (11th pick) - Moses Moody
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,548

Post#12 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:58 am

I don't read anything into what Kemba said last night or could have said, and he was right to say he wasn't saying anything until he thought about it. He obviously isn't in a spot to say one way or the other at this point.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Post#13 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Bassman wrote:This team continually puts itself into the worst situations. Kemba’s free agency creates the dichotomy of either overpaying for a singular talent who cannot deliver a mediocre team to the playoffs, or losing him for nothing to better teams/situations.

This sums it up for me wonderfully. It's like we are dammed if we do, but dammed if we don't.

If anyone in our teams history deserves to get paid in a massive, massive way it's Kemba. Such a great ambassador for our team, universally liked, super talented, all heart, respected league wide, rarely misses games, has shown incredible improvement......but based on the construction of our roster and Kemba's age (do we want to be paying him super max money when he is in his early 30's?), can we afford to fork over the cash for him to stay?

I'm glad it's MJ making the decision and not me. I'm so torn.
B B M F 'ers
-Ian-
Analyst
And1: 849

Post#14 » by -Ian- » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Vanderbilt_Grad wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'll be interested to see if there are any early moves by the team this year to sway Kemba.

Wow, I had no idea this is now possible.

I still think Kemba's 50/50 on resigning here. But the ball is now on Mitch's court.
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,035

Post#15 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm

Offer our pick and the 36th pick to get out of Batums contract, and even then I dont see anyone taking that garbage.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
bravor
Starter
And1: 731

Post#16 » by bravor » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Benching him like Borrego did way too late won't cost this team any asset and at worst if he picks up his option in one year, he becomes a decent expiring (who will play for a new contract, and probably motivated to play for it).

Anyway, Kemba is expecting to add assets to be motivated to come back, not geting rid of potential assets (and if they can land Clarke, they would surely hit one of the missing piece of this roster, an active 2 ways big not shying away from contact).
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#17 » by 316Hornets » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Kemba would be a fool to resign here. He's in his prime and this team is handcuffed for at least another year. Does he really want to play another year of chasing the 8 seed only to end up being supported by castoffs at the end of season?

It's obvious this team is not in a position to make any big moves unless it is willing to go the route of the Brooklyn Nets and just sacrifice all our future picks to get out of our current situation. And, if I'm Kemba, that's exactly what I would demand.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#18 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Kemba's time in Charlotte is over and I wish him nothing but the best.

I hope the next incarnation of this team will be a lot better than the current one.
Robot Rock
Starter
And1: 936

Post#19 » by Robot Rock » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm

LofJ wrote:Kemba's time in Charlotte is over and I wish him nothing but the best.

I hope the next incarnation of this team will be a lot better than the current one.

I bet you're a hit at parties.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#20 » by LofJ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Robot Rock wrote:
LofJ wrote:Kemba's time in Charlotte is over and I wish him nothing but the best.

I bet you're a hit at parties.

This isn't a party and I'm being honest about the team's situation. It's in the long-term best interest of both Kemba and the Hornets organization to part ways with each other this summer.

Return to Charlotte Hornets