Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,431

Woj Official: Joerger will be fired today 

Post#1 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Thoughts? I think it may have been best to keep him around one more year but ultimately I think it's the right move. So far looks like we're looking at Monty Williams, Ettore Messina and Luke Walton is he's fired in LA.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Re: Woj Official: Joerger will be fired today 

Post#2 » by BoogieTime » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Don’t agree with it

To add insult, the names popping up Luke Walton/Monty Williams?

ETorre might stay in San Antonio depending on how long Pop coaches
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#3 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Its the Purple Wedding.
sunsfever68
Sixth Man
And1: 310

Post#4 » by sunsfever68 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:06 pm

hello kings fans, suns fan here, fellow Lakers hater here.

I'm sorry can you explain to me why this happened?

Is it the rotations? not starting Bagley? a Vlade power trip?

I feel like u guys are our distant cousins, small-mid market team, same division lol I want to see the Kings rise to the top with us (denver, Utah I guess not really, Charlotte, Indiana etc)
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,520

Post#5 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Good riddance. I've disliked joerger from day1. How many blown leads did we have this year by 15+. Guy is unwilling to alter his game plan ever. Hes unable to spot mismatches.

This has the feeling of the warriors firing mark Jackson to hire Steve Kerr all over it.

We overachieved so what. It was because Fox, Hield, Bagley, Shump and the rest of the guys. They did this in spite of joerger. With a half decent coach we win 45 games easily.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using RealGM mobile app
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#6 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 pm

Honestly I'm not upset at this move. I was going to be fine either way.

Something was off with Joerger and I know some of us here felt it.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#7 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:28 pm

It's kind of funny seeing fans of other teams blasting this move as a bad one. I mean, I get it, we had a solid season and definitely exceeded expectation but how much of that was because we just have good, young players who out ran teams all year? There's a big difference in the opinion's of Kings fans on this move because we watched him fail to make in game adjustments and questioned his rotations all year.

If we get Messina, I'm betting on playoffs next year without a doubt.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,442

Post#8 » by KF10 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 pm

Not surprised. But honestly, probably for the best.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#9 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:52 pm

You don't fire Joerger unless you can replace him with a better coach. That's not a given with the FO reputation and how this firing will be received around the league.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#10 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:53 pm

codydaze wrote:It's kind of funny seeing fans of other teams blasting this move as a bad one. I mean, I get it, we had a solid season and definitely exceeded expectation but how much of that was because we just have good, young players who out ran teams all year? There's a big difference in the opinion's of Kings fans on this move because we watched him fail to make in game adjustments and questioned his rotations all year.

The funny thing is just yesterday/this morning I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast where he had Kevin Hart on. Kevin was talking about how negativity is the cool thing these days. People who have no basis/facts behind what they are saying just chime in because its "cool". Half these people probably watched at most 1-2 kings games against their favorite team this year, yet they make a baseless claim that Vlade is "Clown" or whatever because this move. Its an echo-chamber of negativity.

I've been saying that this team exceeded expectations because who they were, not the coach who let them blow 30 pt leads, failed to adjust rotations, failed to spot mismatches, failed to realize that you shouldn't go 10 deep in the 4th quarter of must win games, etc etc... The list goes on and on. Shump and what he brought to the team had more to do with our success this year than Joerger. I was much more disappointed to see him go than Dave.

At this pt in Vlade I trust. Id be happy with Luke or Messina. I'm sure Vlade also has a hand full of other candidates.

And honestly I'm most happy for Buddy Hield right now. Hes going to break out next year, you guys just watch it will be glorious!
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#11 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:You don't fire Joerger unless you can replace him with a better coach. That's not a given with the FO reputation and how this firing will be received around the league.

Eh. Our reputation has been getting better. For the first time in years the media is talking good about us. Zach Lowe published a great piece on the Kings. The Ringer had another video recently on how Bagley is an amazing player/pick. I think league wide our reputation is getting better by the people who actually pay attention.

Just because Realgm or Reddit average joes don't see it doesn't mean its not happening. Coaches are going to want to come to Sacramento to put their stamp on a team with TONS of young talent, a great cap sheet, and moving forward no owed draft picks. Skys the limit for this young group.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#12 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:57 pm

SactoKingsFan wrote:You don't fire Joerger unless you can replace him with a better coach. That's not a given with the FO reputation and how this firing will be received around the league.

Sam Amick saying Ettore Messina would want the job. He would be a great hire as part of the Pop coaching tree. The job will be more attractive than people think in my opinion.

Read on Twitter
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#13 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Dave is a great development coach. Its in his roots dating all the way back to the G league.

Vlade is right when he says another coach is needed to take the next step
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:00 pm

RipPizzaGuy wrote:
codydaze wrote:It's kind of funny seeing fans of other teams blasting this move as a bad one. I mean, I get it, we had a solid season and definitely exceeded expectation but how much of that was because we just have good, young players who out ran teams all year? There's a big difference in the opinion's of Kings fans on this move because we watched him fail to make in game adjustments and questioned his rotations all year.

The funny thing is just yesterday/this morning I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast where he had Kevin Hart on. Kevin was talking about how negativity is the cool thing these days. People who have no basis/facts behind what they are saying just chime in because its "cool". Half these people probably watched at most 1-2 kings games against their favorite team this year, yet they make a baseless claim that Vlade is "Clown" or whatever because this move. Its an echo-chamber of negativity.

I've been saying that this team exceeded expectations because who they were, not the coach who let them blow 30 pt leads, failed to adjust rotations, failed to spot mismatches, failed to realize that you shouldn't go 10 deep in the 4th quarter of must win games, etc etc... The list goes on and on. Shump and what he brought to the team had more to do with our success this year than Joerger. I was much more disappointed to see him go than Dave.

At this pt in Vlade I trust. Id be happy with Luke or Messina. I'm sure Vlade also has a hand full of other candidates.

And honestly I'm most happy for Buddy Hield right now. Hes going to break out next year, you guys just watch it will be glorious!

Completely agree. It's easy for people to see us fight for a playoff seed and win 39 games and go wtf are they thinking. You're spot on in your other post about people that have been paying attention are viewing this move differently and it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#15 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

codydaze wrote:
RipPizzaGuy wrote:

Completely agree. It's easy for people to see us fight for a playoff seed and win 39 games and go wtf are they thinking. You're spot on in your other post about people that have been paying attention are viewing this move differently and it's not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

To top it off the fact that Sam Amick is reporting Messina would definitely want this job already speaks volumes.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#16 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:27 pm

City of Trees wrote:Dave is a great development coach. Its in his roots dating all the way back to the G league.

I really liked the job the coaching staff seemed to do with our players. Was hoping they'd get WCS to take it another notch, but overall they were fantastic.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#17 » by blind prophet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 pm

Sam let us all know this may happen a long long time ago.

He's probably the most reliable national source we have.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by City of Trees » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:31 pm

blind prophet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Dave is a great development coach. Its in his roots dating all the way back to the G league.

I really liked the job the coaching staff seemed to do with our players. Was hoping they'd get WCS to take it another notch, but overall they were fantastic.
I agree with this.

My mindset is the coaching staff served its purpose. Set a foundation. Now it's time to find a coach who can compete at a higher level than Joerger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#19 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

City of Trees wrote:
blind prophet wrote:

I agree with this.

My mindset is the coaching staff served its purpose. Set a foundation. Now it's time to find a coach who can compete at a higher level than Joerger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

Next year with our teams progression, a new center, and a new coach! I'm setting 45 as expectations, with 50 as a hope. If we wouldn't have blown half the leads we did, and just finished off the absolute gimmes we would have won 45 this year.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#20 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 pm

I'll leave the judgement call to you guys, since (as someone already mentioned) you all watch a lot more Kings games than outsiders. Can't see how the job isn't somewhat attractive now though.
A young team with fairly cohesive talent, and a lead guard who seems ready and able to actually lead.

Return to Sacramento Kings