2019 Offseason Thread

Moderators: yosemiteben, BigSlam, JDR720, Diop, fatlever

yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by yosemiteben » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Didn't see a catchall thread for offseason developments so here we go.

Had not even considered that anyone might opt out of their contracts this summer because I assumed it was super unlikely. Marv said no way he opts out, but Biz and MKG both said they didn't know / hadn't thought about it.

Still believe they both opt in, but if they opt out that is $30M off the books. That would be nuts.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: 2019 Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Hey BOB:

Can a player opt out of their last year and then re-sign back with that same team at a lower, but longer price point?
B B M F 'ers
BlackOutBuzz
Hornets Forum Capologist
And1: 2,970

Post#3 » by BlackOutBuzz » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 pm

BigSlam wrote:Hey BOB:

Can a player opt out of their last year and then re-sign back with that same team at a lower, but longer price point?
Sure, they'll be available to sign anywhere but there's no reason it can't work.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Hornets Picks by Year
2021: Bouknight, Jones, Thor, Lewis

Protection on future 1st* (to NYK); 2nds
2022: 1-18; CHA (31-55), TOR 2 (55-60)
2023: 1-16; BOS (GH)
2024: 1-14; BOS (GH)
2025: 1-14; CHA (31-55)
*Becomes two 2nds if unconveyed
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#4 » by BigSlam » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:40 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:

Sure, they'll be available to sign anywhere but there's no reason it can't work.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there restrictions like the ones I believe exist around trading a player and then getting them back.

So essentially we could say to MKG:

"Hey MKG, opt out of your last year ($13m) and we will instantly resign you to 3/$21 - which gives us cap space this year and you a confirmed salary for the next 3 years".
B B M F 'ers
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#5 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:46 pm

Maybe not MKG though. MKG is unplayable and this year 7 for him. Honestly we can draft someone at 36 like our old pal Derrick Brown who would have the same production at a fraction of the price.

But I get what you are saying. I would make that plea to Biz for say, 3/24 if he opted out. But that ain't happening
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#6 » by countryboi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm

I wouldnt mind MKG being here long term has a second unit energy guy but we have got to upgrade PF and get some shooting. We also need Bridges and Bacon to take the next step
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
amcoolio

Post#7 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:52 pm

countryboi wrote:I wouldnt mind MKG being here long term has a second unit energy guy but we have got to upgrade PF and get some shooting. We also need Bridges and Bacon to take the next step

MKG wasn't even good in that role this past season, it literally did not matter if he was on the court. I am confident we can find a young defender that can match his defensive production for a lot less
countryboi
Head Coach
And1: 1,303

Post#8 » by countryboi » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm

amcoolio wrote:
countryboi wrote:I wouldnt mind MKG being here long term has a second unit energy guy but we have got to upgrade PF and get some shooting. We also need Bridges and Bacon to take the next step

MKG wasn't even good in that role this past season, it literally did not matter if he was on the court. I am confident we can find a young defender that can match his defensive production for a lot less

he really doesnt have an elite skill, it use to be his energy and defense but now he just disappears in to games and i forget he is even on the court.
The Cut Podcast, An Hilarious barbershop style discussion podcast. Watch us on Youtube and listen to us on all major Podcast Platforms. https://linktr.ee/thecut_podcast
amcoolio

Post#9 » by amcoolio » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

I know some of you are attached and still think they can have "production", but we need to move on and clean up the cobwebs.

2011 draft - Biz - Bust
2012 draft - MKG - Bust
2013 draft - Cody - Bust

It's time to cut losses, move on, and look forward to new players in those roles.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#10 » by Rich4114 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:06 pm

amcoolio wrote:I know some of you are attached and still think they can have "production", but we need to move on and clean up the cobwebs.

2011 draft - Biz - Bust
2012 draft - MKG - Bust
2013 draft - Cody - Bust

It's time to cut losses, move on, and look forward to new players in those roles.

I’m with you on this. Please for the love of God, let’s stop extending the mistakes we’ve continued to make. Don’t double or triple down on poor draft choices. Those guys need a change of scenery and we need to rotate new pieces in that can hopefully fit together better. Those three should all be on separate teams and in the right situations can maybe be a key piece to a contender. But they won’t make us one and they’re just in the way of bringing in other players who can right now.
SWedd523
RealGM
And1: 5,109

Post#11 » by SWedd523 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 pm

amcoolio wrote:I know some of you are attached and still think they can have "production", but we need to move on and clean up the cobwebs.

2011 draft - Biz - Bust
2012 draft - MKG - Bust
2013 draft - Cody - Bust

Take it further. So long as Batum, Marv, Biz, MKG, Cody, are still eating up 2/3rd of the salary, the Hornets will never be a competitive team.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,277

Post#12 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:00 pm

If MKG and Biz both opt out and we package the late-lotto pick with Batum to wipe as much of his deal off the books as possible that could really help with retaining Kemba. In that scenario we can probably afford to keep him, Lamb, and add another couple of solid contributors. We wouldn't be a super team by any means, but just subtracting Batum/Biz from this year's roster and replacing them with two starting-caliber players would potentially be a big improvement.

If all that space magically opens we have to be sure not to immediately lock ourselves into 4 more years of stupid deals though.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#13 » by Diop » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am

BigSlam wrote:
BlackOutBuzz wrote:

Thanks. I wasn't sure if there restrictions like the ones I believe exist around trading a player and then getting them back.

So essentially we could say to MKG:

"Hey MKG, opt out of your last year ($13m) and we will instantly resign you to 3/$21 - which gives us cap space this year and you a confirmed salary for the next 3 years".

Pretty sure San Antonio did that once
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets

Post#14 » by BigSlam » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:37 pm

SWedd523 wrote:

2011 draft - Biz - Bust
2012 draft - MKG - Bust
2013 draft - Cody - Bust

Take it further. So long as Batum, Marv, Biz, MKG, Cody, are still eating up 2/3rd of the salary, the Hornets will never be a competitive team.

Especially if their combined contracts hamper our ability to re-sign or sign worthy guys like Kemba.
B B M F 'ers
Splitta
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#15 » by Splitta » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:27 pm

Batum in his exit interview stated he did not know how he fit with the Hornets. The guy scored three total points as a starter in the last 3 games. I got news for him he don't fit. Neither does MKG, Biz, or CZ. Marv can hang around and fit as a father figure.
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,542

Post#16 » by yosemiteben » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:03 pm

Splitta wrote:Batum in his exit interview stated he did not know how he fit with the Hornets. The guy scored three total points as a starter in the last 3 games. I got news for him he don't fit.

Yeah I thought that was pretty funny. It's like the guy whose calls keep getting screened saying "you know, it's starting to feel like you don't want to talk to me."

I am starting to really wonder though wtf was up with not playing Frank or Bacon. That's my biggest question for the coaching staff after this season.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,681

Post#17 » by TinmanZBoy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:26 pm

BlackOutBuzz wrote:

Gasol and spurs?
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,277

Post#18 » by Hornet Mania » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:27 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I am starting to really wonder though wtf was up with not playing Frank or Bacon. That's my biggest question for the coaching staff after this season.

Frank is a mystery, he was probably the same player all year long, but I'm willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt for now on Bacon. They put Bacon and Graham in the G-League a lot this year while talking about prioritizing getting them floor time to accelerate their development, or at least Dell Curry rationalized it that way on the broadcasts when announcing inactives, so maybe it just worked out as planned with those two.

Next year will be telling, if the young guys grow and improve this summer or make a noticeable jump between beginning 2019 and end 2020 it will be a pattern. I don't want to give JB too much credit yet but I'm cautiously hopeful.
Rich4114
RealGM
And1: 4,138

Post#19 » by Rich4114 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:01 pm

Frank is arguably the biggest surprise of this season. Nobody, including myself ever saw him contributing like he did the last two months. It wasn’t gradual either. It’s like “hey we are going to bench frank all year. Now let’s try to trade him for nothing. Oh no offers? Ok we’ll just play him.”

He came into that Nets game for the first time in a long time playing meaningful minutes and was impressive. His defense was a little better this season too. I’d love to have him back on a reasonable deal as a stretch 4 off the bench. I can’t believe I’m saying that either because I wasn’t one of the ones who wanted him gone after last season.
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,664

Post#20 » by Diop » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Frank has shown spurts of playing well in the past. He's just so inconsistent

Return to Charlotte Hornets