ImageImage

How do the Hawks get better defensively?

Moderators: dms269, Jamaaliver, HMFFL

What needs to happen to fix the defense?

Better Effort
24%
Better Coaching
14%
Better Players
62%

Total votes: 42

jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Re: How do the Hawks get better defensively? 

Post#61 » by jayu70 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:15 pm

I've been thinking:
Sign Danny Green (3nD wing) and Joakim Noah (defensive PnR C)as FAs in the offseason.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Post#62 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm

jayu70 wrote:I've been thinking:
Sign Danny Green (3nD wing) and Joakim Noah (defensive PnR C)as FAs in the offseason.

Wait. It's fashionable to sign Joakim Noah again?!?

Man, what a difference NOT playing for the Knicks makes.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#63 » by jayu70 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:20 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:

Wait. It's fashionable to sign Joakim Noah again?!?

Man, what a difference NOT playing for the Knicks makes.

:lol: .
He still looks like an NBA player NOT playing for the Knicks.
Green can be our Iggy.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#64 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:27 pm

I have to believe that Danny Green, still, is welcome in literally any locker room in the Association.

Epitome of a glue guy. Perfect fit in any team's rotation.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#65 » by shakes0 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:01 pm

I think it all starts with getting a rim protecting center. Someone like that can make up for a lot of defensive mistakes from other players and also allow our guys to defend guys closer on the perimeter knowing they have help behind them.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#66 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:16 pm

shakes0 wrote:I think it all starts with getting a rim protecting center. Someone like that can make up for a lot of defensive mistakes from other players and also allow our guys to defend guys closer on the perimeter knowing they have help behind them.

Know any good ones that are available, affordable and able to defend in space?
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,962

Post#67 » by shakes0 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:31 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
shakes0 wrote:I think it all starts with getting a rim protecting center. Someone like that can make up for a lot of defensive mistakes from other players and also allow our guys to defend guys closer on the perimeter knowing they have help behind them.

I got no clue. And there's definitely no one in the draft who fits that description.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#68 » by peoriabird » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm

shakes0 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I got no clue. And there's definitely no one in the draft who fits that description.

I got a name for you;

Dwyane Dedmon!
_s_t_u_r_t_
Veteran
And1: 723

Post#69 » by _s_t_u_r_t_ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Exactly. No sarcasm at all as I say Peo's right. Problem solved. Defense will be solid once we get a rim protector, and Dedmon's considered among the best in the league, right?
jayu70
RealGM

Post#70 » by jayu70 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

peoriabird wrote:
shakes0 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:

I got a name for you;

Dwyane Dedmon!

I'd be ok with bringing Dedmon back at the right price. This is a list of FA centers (if this is supposed to be top 15, why isn't Dedmon listed?). I would take DD over guys listed 9-15.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hoopshype.com/2019/02/08/nba-free-agency-2019-centers/amp
gurpilo
Junior
And1: 30

Post#71 » by gurpilo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Some names that could help if we decide to win now, not very appealing for me

SF: Trevor Ariza, Demaree Carrol, Danny Green, Middleton, Kentavious,
C: DeAndre Jordan, Whitheside, Mcgee, Noah, O’Quinn, Robin Lopez, Biyombo, Aaron Baynes.

Some young names to keep on growing, continue adding assets.

SF: McCaw, Danuel House
C: Thomas Bryant, Richaun Holmes, Jordan Bell, Looney, Dwight Powell, Noel.

I say we go with option 2 and add Daniel House and one or two from Holmes, Noel, Powell or Bell.
CP War Hawks
Analyst
And1: 1,434

Post#72 » by CP War Hawks » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:50 am

I'd like DD to return, but as more of a mentor to a starting younger big. Lopez fits some needs but he's also a back up going forward. There's WCS and someone I really like in Kleber, both should be readily attainable.

Could kick the tires on acquiring Drummond if his value is low enough. Everybody wants the perfect guy, but realistically just get the big that best defend the paint.
jayu70
RealGM

Post#73 » by jayu70 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:55 pm

jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:I'm saying that they are getting better. I see improvement with John Collin and Prince. I also see improved effort with Trae. I get tired of listening to the Roland and Siegel narrative that no Hawk ever improves... The claim at the beginning of the season was John is what he is a non starter and rookies are bad so Trae will be bad offensively. They have since given up on criticizing their offense because of so much growth and now have move on to criticize them defensively. All I am saying is give these guys a chance to become men and gel as a defensive unit. After a few seasons together, then criticize if you feel compelled to do so. It's just way too early to judge now.

Here you go Peo...Like you said...getting better perhaps. Hopefully a sign of things to come next season!
Read on Twitter

More improvement on defense for you Peo....

He’s drawn a fair bit of criticism for his defensive play this season, it has to be noted that he’s been better in [recent] weeks. The plays that were begging for a rotation and vertical rim protection are creeping their way into his game as his recognition improves.

Recent defensive developments point to him being more of a power forward in the future, as he’s become more adept at rotating as a weak-side rim protector. That spot also makes life easier on him physically, as he doesn’t have to bang with opposing centers in the post or on the glass and can use his explosive leaping ability to rotate and erase shots at the basket.

Sometimes I prefer to believe my lying eyes more so that all these defensive metrics.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/3/26/18281990/atlanta-hawks-john-collins-development-growth-rebuild-offense-playmaking-defense-quotes-philosophy
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#74 » by peoriabird » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:07 pm

jayu70 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
peoriabird wrote:I'm saying that they are getting better. I see improvement with John Collin and Prince. I also see improved effort with Trae. I get tired of listening to the Roland and Siegel narrative that no Hawk ever improves... The claim at the beginning of the season was John is what he is a non starter and rookies are bad so Trae will be bad offensively. They have since given up on criticizing their offense because of so much growth and now have move on to criticize them defensively. All I am saying is give these guys a chance to become men and gel as a defensive unit. After a few seasons together, then criticize if you feel compelled to do so. It's just way too early to judge now.

Here you go Peo...Like you said...getting better perhaps. Hopefully a sign of things to come next season!
Read on Twitter

More improvement on defense for you Peo....

He’s drawn a fair bit of criticism for his defensive play this season, it has to be noted that he’s been better in [recent] weeks. The plays that were begging for a rotation and vertical rim protection are creeping their way into his game as his recognition improves.

Recent defensive developments point to him being more of a power forward in the future, as he’s become more adept at rotating as a weak-side rim protector. That spot also makes life easier on him physically, as he doesn’t have to bang with opposing centers in the post or on the glass and can use his explosive leaping ability to rotate and erase shots at the basket.

Sometimes I prefer to believe my lying eyes more so that all these defensive metrics.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2019/3/26/18281990/atlanta-hawks-john-collins-development-growth-rebuild-offense-playmaking-defense-quotes-philosophy

Much love to you Jay bird!!! I've been saying all along that Collins is a power forward Brad Rowland. He just needed time to develop power forward skills. We are now seeing him develop both offensively and defensively. I see the same happening with Young and Huerter. And yes Dedmon is still developing also even at his age. I am also encouraged by what I've seen from Prince lately. So just be Patient Hawk fans. The isn't you older brother's Millsap team. They are much more dynamic with unlimited potential!
jayu70
RealGM

Post#75 » by jayu70 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 2:56 am

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#76 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:35 pm

AJC: Justin (Anderson) mentioned how he felt that you haven’t implemented your defensive system from your days in Philadelphia. Is there a reason why you didn’t implement it?

Coach Lloyd Pierce: Not ready. And I say that, we implemented our system of what we want. You know, playoff basketball as you guys all know is different than regular-season basketball. And then when you go into playoffs, you’re able to use, you know I use post defense. There are six different blitzes that we can do with a post guy. There’s a lot of thinking and a lot of rotations that you have to work on. I just want us to be able to guard the post one-on-one first, and then provide a crowd behind it. And that takes a mentality for us to do, and we’re still implementing the mentality. We’re still trying to figure out the ability to get our foundation right, and can we get our foundation right. And that just takes time.

I thought John (Collins) got better defensively as the season went on, but we struggle as a unit, and it took him a while to get going on that side. I thought Trae got better defensively as the season went on, but still relative of where we want him to be. And I’ll take the hit, and I’ll continue to take the hit on that. I want to do it right. I don’t want to just say we’re a better defensive team and we’re just going to throw out all kinds of different coverages and it looks good.
AJC.com
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#77 » by peoriabird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
AJC: Justin (Anderson) mentioned how he felt that you haven’t implemented your defensive system from your days in Philadelphia. Is there a reason why you didn’t implement it?

Coach Lloyd Pierce: Not ready. And I say that, we implemented our system of what we want. You know, playoff basketball as you guys all know is different than regular-season basketball. And then when you go into playoffs, you’re able to use, you know I use post defense. There are six different blitzes that we can do with a post guy. There’s a lot of thinking and a lot of rotations that you have to work on. I just want us to be able to guard the post one-on-one first, and then provide a crowd behind it. And that takes a mentality for us to do, and we’re still implementing the mentality. We’re still trying to figure out the ability to get our foundation right, and can we get our foundation right. And that just takes time.

I thought John (Collins) got better defensively as the season went on, but we struggle as a unit, and it took him a while to get going on that side. I thought Trae got better defensively as the season went on, but still relative of where we want him to be. And I’ll take the hit, and I’ll continue to take the hit on that. I want to do it right. I don’t want to just say we’re a better defensive team and we’re just going to throw out all kinds of different coverages and it looks good.
AJC.com

Been trying to educate everybody the entire season on this concept. Everyone's solution to everything seems to be to bring in different players! lol! Pierce himself said that he has not taught any defensive principle this year because his focus was on offense. In his words, the team was to young and not ready yet. He also said that they all have demonstrated the ability to play good defense just not consistently. Defense is effort and instincts! As the team becomes more familiar with each other while pick up defensive principles from the coaching staff, the better the defense will be going forward
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#78 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:54 pm

I don't think it's too inflammatory to say we need better defenders on this team.
peoriabird
Pro Prospect

Post#79 » by peoriabird » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:I don't think it's too inflammatory to say we need better defenders on this team.

It helps but even team with some of the best individual defenders still struggle to play cohesively against us like Philadelphia and OKC. While some with no defender stop us in our tracks like Orlando
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,656

Post#80 » by benhillboy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

To second Gurpilo CLP would develop the hell out of Thomas Bryant. Jordan Bell more limited but could be very efficient.

I know nothing about college ball but the two guys mock drafts like for the Hawks (Coby White, Jarrett Culver) are described as good effort, plus defenders. I’m with it.

I’m satisfied with the effort of all the guys. It was pretty clear CLP hadn’t installed all the “build a wall” jazz that good defenses apply. I was encouraged Trae and John learned better positioning throughout the season, leading to an uptick in steals and blocks, respectively.

This team is young as hell man. More experience, more weights, a little slower pace and they’ll be okay.

Return to Atlanta Hawks