Total votes: 64

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,465

Questioning Jeanie’s ability to be the owner the Lakers need 

Post#1 » by dockingsched » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter

This piece by Henry Abbott was really well written and although it doesn’t specifically focus on just Jeanie, it covers her enough to really shine some light on whether Jeanie is capable or qualified to be the one to turn things around. Thought it’d make for a good conversation starter about Jeanie, specially with reports coming in that she’s relying on a close circle to make the next moves that includes Rob, and Linda and Kurt Rambis.

I’ve never been a fan of how she handles things, including being overly emotionally about players and transactions, how she obviously seeks out local writers to shape the narrative she wants (article covers this well), and just any time she speaks in interviews giving off hints she may not really be in tune or up to speed with what’s going on with the team.

Any of you confident in Jeanie?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,025

Re: Questioning Jeanie’s ability to be the owner the Lakers need 

Post#2 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm

Nope
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by dockingsched » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Another good piece looking into Jeanie

Read on Twitter
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,413

Post#4 » by Slava » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:29 pm

Read on Twitter
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Cafu
Rookie
And1: 398

Post#5 » by Cafu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:30 pm

I think she is more than qualified, all those years working in the organization, showed Jimmy the door that made her a lioness, not an naive owner, respected around the league... BUT qualified and still doing a bad job is 100% possible.

People talking about her didn’t come to Jerry West when he was available but if my memory is right, West was available soon after she gave Magic the key to the franchise and you don’t bring another cook to the kitchen at that time.

I feel she is somewhat blamed unfairly because she is a woman ( I don’t want to get there but it is my feeling).
Her biggest mistake until now is trusting Magic but heck, I think more than half of us thought that was a good idea.
Bring fresh and charming images for the franchise after being not even get a meeting with the FA of being laughed at after the meeting.
Who Could not imagine that after the LeBron signing it went downhill fast.

But after all I agree that this is the time for her to prove doubters wrong, the fans will not tolerate another mistake and the media will jump on her at the very first chance.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#6 » by slifersd » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Here is my thing with Jeanie. For all these years, I have heard of nothing but great things about her. She is a marketing genius, she is a brilliant business woman, she is a pitbull in a skirt, etc. People hail her as some kind of gold standard for NBA executives. Someone on ESPN was even talking about there being a rivalry between her and Steve Ballmer in LA. And yet, when you look at the last five years, I cannot find a single decision that isn’t either terrible or long overdue. At this point, I have to ask, is Jeanie actually this super brilliant executive that everyone in media hypes her up to be, or is she just the NBA version of Elizabeth Holmes? I mean, I have not seen a single thing she did that make me think she can compete with someone like Ballmer at any level whatsoever.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Slava » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Lakers is like a cult so it's perfectly understandable to be brainwashed in nostalgia if you grew up in it.

I wouldn't question Jeannie yet but it's time for her to pull her head out of the earth, look around the league as well as the results over the past six years and realize times have changed.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:38 pm

There's really no need to look completely outside of the Lakers past for the new Leadership... There's a lot of well qualified past Lakers that could take this to the promised land...

So I think that concept is a little troll/hater-ish...

The problem is that Jeannie hasn't shown any sign she has any idea what to look for in a new President... Magic was the easy/safe bet because on top of superficially seeming qualified and being a fan favorite, he immediately took the pressure off of her because she wouldn't have to lead with him on the team...

So now, it's put-up or shut-up time...

She has every right to own the team at the moment, but if she makes a bad choice with the FO, that could change in a couple months...

She either needs to pick the right guy, or start being a much more vocal owner from an on the court perspective...

Hire whoever, but then be on their ass all season in the press, stating expectations etc... Show you know and give a **** basically.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#9 » by gts1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:31 pm

Part of my post in the Luke parting ways thread, I'll just repost here if that's ok?

She admits she doesn't know the BB side of the game, that alone should disqualify her from running it but since she is going to she needs to find a mentor type to run the team, she needs to learn that side of the game.

When you have a person overseeing a huge operation like Jeanie does that person should know the ins and out of the whole operation. When you have a lopsided knowledge base, when one side of the operation is isolated from the other due to ignorance or lack of involvement it creates dysfunction. She used to always complain the Jim and Mitch operated in a bubble, she didn't know what they were doing. Then learn, you're the head of the Lakers learn the game side don't hire people to tell you what to think learn to think for yourself

Now we hear the coaching staff would go weeks without hearing from Magic, Ryan West was basically forgotten, Magic and Rob rarely communicated with scouts. Rob would walk around asking where's Magic to illustrate he was on the Job and Magic wasn't.

Because of her not knowing that side of the game, by not being a part of it on the day to day in affect she traded a GM and president in Mitch and Jim that wouldn't talk to her for a GM and president that would talk to her but not the rest of the staff... dysfunction
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#10 » by Landsberger » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:58 am

I think some of the articles are still up on the internets..... go and look up when Jerry Buss bought the Lakers. He started out a little different than many remember. In fact it took a few lightening strikes to create the 80's for us. He hit his stride as an owner but it wasn't like he started out being the Buss of the late 80's day one. Jeannie will need to find her way. The hole we're digging out of was dug 6-8 years ago. While I've laid a lot of the decisions at her feet (she's the final say after all) She's trying everything in her power to change it for the better. I'll give her some more time.

Fact is that the Lakers have had so much success that the gauging that success is from there perspective of being a championship contender at all times.
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#11 » by LakerClipperFan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:10 am

The Buss family has a rich history of winning Lakers Championships. We will be fine....especially now that we have LBJ. The business side of things is doing very very well I think, but on the basketball end we need to improve and will.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,093

Post#12 » by SlimShady83 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 am

She is the right person for the job. Trust me on that one :)

She's recently come out and said "this is her team" ... Meaning Bron bron can't come out and call the shots etc - sure he'll be the first to know, but him calling the shots won't happen

Give her time guys.

"She is bad ass"
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#13 » by BEazy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:03 am

I'm leaning towards proving herself this summer. I say if she does this summer, she's still on thin ice until she makes multiple good moves. If she screws up this summer, I think it's time for her to sell the team and get out of the owner business because it isn't her forte just like her brother ole Jimbo running POBO job.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,511

Post#14 » by Michael Lucky » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:14 pm

Didn't think she was qualified two years ago and clearly my feelings haven't changed now.
AmusingFiddle
Rookie
And1: 315

Post#15 » by AmusingFiddle » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:37 pm

I was a big fan of Rob until the AD fiasco that exposed his reputation and then the Magic resignation.

I find it nauseating that Jeanie is still hanging on to Rob after all this. There has to be more to the story. She certainly cannot be so blinded by loyalty that she overlooks incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by dockingsched » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Im willing to be convinced that Magic was the problem in the front office and his “backstabbing” comment is people talking about how unqualified he was and how little effort he put into the job.

He finally realized what people thought of him, and instead of forcing Jeanie to fire him, he stepped down to preserve their friendship.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#17 » by Landsberger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 pm

AmusingFiddle wrote:I was a big fan of Rob until the AD fiasco that exposed his reputation and then the Magic resignation.

I find it nauseating that Jeanie is still hanging on to Rob after all this. There has to be more to the story. She certainly cannot be so blinded by loyalty that she overlooks incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

As the dirt oozes out of the FO it appears that Rob was excluded from those negotiations by Magic.... so you can still be a fan it seems.

....of course this could be smoke to cover for that idiocy as well.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Jeanie is now relying on Kurt Rambis, who has failed at every leadership role he’s been in since his playing days; who only had his job and current role because his wife is Jeanie’s best friend and most trusted adviser and because he’s a former Lakers.

Time and time again Jeanie shows she’s not and has never been qualified for this job.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#19 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 pm

Meanwhile Jim's at Margaritaville laughing himself hoarse...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Slava » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Lakers