ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Possibilities

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

JohnVancouver
General Manager
And1: 236

Free Agent Possibilities 

Post#1 » by JohnVancouver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:46 pm

(I can't find a free agent thread so ... Mods, pls merge if required.)

A lot of speculation we can't land a superstar such as KD

What about the other ones, though. This team could be shored up by a number of players who'll be available. Here's a list I compiled of possible adds for us. I think we could create a pretty dangerous team with some of these. Who would you go after?

Patrick Beverley - PG
TJ McConnell - PG

JJReddick - SG
Terence Ross - SG
Tomas Santorasky - SG

Khris Middleton - SF
Bojam Bogdanovich - SF
Trevor Ariza - SF

Thaddeus Young - PF
Marcus Morris - PF
Nikola Mirotic - PF
Al Farouk-Aminu - PF
Marvin Williams - PF

Ed Davis - C
Nikola Vucevic - C
Hassan Whiteside - C
DeMarcus Cousins - C
Javale McGee - C
Thomas Bryant - C
"Deng and Mozgov was some 1980s Clippers sh*t. So, so dumb" - Sedale Threatt

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

"Everybody love Everybody." - Jackie Moon
LakerClipperFan
Sophomore
And1: 30

Re: Free Agent Possibilities 

Post#2 » by LakerClipperFan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:21 pm

We are the LAKERS bro, we have 16 Championships. Of course free agents want to come to L.A. The list should therefore include Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, Klay.
JohnVancouver
General Manager

Post#3 » by JohnVancouver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Uh, bro - the idea was who outside of the top ranking FAs could we bring in - Vuvevic, say, and Bogdanovich. We need a center and some shooting - Santorasky would fit the bill. Let's examine Plan B possiblilities.

Or we could fansturabte over Klay and KD etc. You pick

"If you can't get banned for threatening to rape a mod, what can you get banned for?" Jigga_Man/2013

Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#4 » by Penberthy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:06 pm

You really think a guy like Vucevic is going to take a 1 year deal and leave room for AD next year?
JohnVancouver
General Manager

Post#5 » by JohnVancouver » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Penberthy wrote:You really think a guy like Vucevic is going to take a 1 year deal and leave room for AD next year?

Who said 1 yr deal? And why is it imperative we get AD anyway? He's not going to solve our problems - he didn't solve the Pels, good as he is.

what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#6 » by what would jack bauer do? » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Well, it looks like Jeannie's top target is Kawhi. Basically told Rob, get Kawhi or you're out.

If I'm Rob I gotta play this smart. My hand is played for me. I don't add distractions with trades. I decide who am I keeping for the long term right now. I don't cater to Lebron cause he's under contract already and has no power play in his pocket at this point.

I think the right play is to sit down Kawhi with LA's two quiet and reserved stars in Ingram and Lonzo (along with Luke and Jeannie). Lebron could later have dinner with him. But at this point I'm committing to keeping Ingram and Lonzo as our future along with Kawhi. That's the message I'm sending him. If we strike out please don't do it with that Lakers sensationalism bull s***.

Kuzma has no real purpose on our roster with Lebron here and the streaky nature of his 3pt shot. I would dangle him and the 11th pick for a stretch 5. Hell, if the Pacers choke in the playoffs I'd send two picks and Kuzma for Myles Turner.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#7 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:59 pm

what would jack bauer do? wrote:Well, it looks like Jeannie's top target is Kawhi. Basically told Rob, get Kawhi or you're out.

If I'm Rob I gotta play this smart. My hand is played for me. I don't add distractions with trades. I decide who am I keeping for the long term right now. I don't cater to Lebron cause he's under contract already and has no power play in his pocket at this point.

I think the right play is to sit down Kawhi with LA's two quiet and reserved stars in Ingram and Lonzo (along with Luke and Jeannie). Lebron could later have dinner with him. But at this point I'm committing to keeping Ingram and Lonzo as our future along with Kawhi. That's the message I'm sending him. If we strike out please don't do it with that Lakers sensationalism bull s***.

Kuzma has no real purpose on our roster with Lebron here and the streaky nature of his 3pt shot. I would dangle him and the 11th pick for a stretch 5. Hell, if the Pacers choke in the playoffs I'd send two picks and Kuzma for Myles Turner.

To that last part umm gross
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:06 pm

Kuzma is LeBron's guy. I think they'll use Ingram as trade bait. LeBron said he's special I believe for that sole reason. Kd is coming LeBron been recruiting him. But besides him. I do see a surprise trade for someone like lilliard or andre Drummond or at least I'm hoping. Got to be tough and have big shot makers.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#9 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Ingram is far more valuable than Kuzma from a strict basketball perspective. The only thing that makes it closer is the contract situation. All this tells me is that we shouldnt listen to what players Lebron wants around him because he clearly sucks at building a team. Just look at the joke of FA hires last summer around him.
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#10 » by gts1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Ingram is far more valuable than Kuzma from a strict basketball perspective. The only thing that makes it closer is the contract situation. All this tells me is that we shouldnt listen to what players Lebron wants around him because he clearly sucks at building a team. Just look at the joke of FA hires last summer around him.
and the mess he left behind in Cleveland.. It's going to take years for them to dig out of that.
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Ingram is far more valuable than Kuzma from a strict basketball perspective. The only thing that makes it closer is the contract situation. All this tells me is that we shouldnt listen to what players Lebron wants around him because he clearly sucks at building a team. Just look at the joke of FA hires last summer around him.

So you think he had a part in signing those guys. I'm not so sure. But kuzma and Ingram won't both be back. Agree?
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm

I don't mind rondo tho. He's a proven playoff baller
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#13 » by Michael Lucky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Dmagic wrote:

So you think he had a part in signing those guys. I'm not so sure. But kuzma and Ingram won't both be back. Agree?

We know he did. It was widely reported that Magic asked Lebron what type of players he wanted around him.

Who knows. Right now, no team is looking to trade with us. I could see both completing the season next year.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by Dmagic » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:40 pm

I smell some LeBron haters. I'll be leaving now
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#15 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:09 pm

Praying for klay
But I think Kemba , Vuveic are my top choices
Veteran

Post#16 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:42 am

Dmagic wrote:
what would jack bauer do? wrote:Well, it looks like Jeannie's top target is Kawhi. Basically told Rob, get Kawhi or you're out.

To that last part umm gross

I know it sounds like too much, but he's a serious candidate for dpoy and he is the heart of their top 3 defense. The other two teams ahead of them in defense feature Rudy Gobert and Giannis. Honestly, I doubt they ever let Turner go because he keeps them relevant for years with his defensive impact. He's just an example of the type of player we should be going for.

Honestly, if we don't get Kawhi our other options of Kyrie, Butler, and Kemba are pretty bad. I would much rather sign a guy like Rozier to a one year max contract, bring back Mcgee, and trade for a guy like Derrick Favors (expiring next year) and hold out for Anthony Davis. We really shouldn't care about Lebron's window and build for a long term championship culture.

Of all the evils as a last option I would choose Butler over Kemba and Kyrie. He's the only one with that I dont give a f*** attitude that would call out Lebron for any lack of defensive effort.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#17 » by Landsberger » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:50 am

Ingram is the one who's game overlaps LeBron's the most. Kuzma fit's pretty well and doesn't need touches the way Ingram does.
Veteran

Post#18 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:18 am

Landsberger wrote:

Ingram is the one who's game overlaps LeBron's the most. Kuzma fit's pretty well and doesn't need touches the way Ingram does.

Yeah but defensively the complete opposite is true. Ingram has the potential to do what he did post all-star break from 3pt range and overall. Kuzma is turning 24 in a few months and likely has hit his ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I love Kuzma but if we're looking at pieces to a championship roster his skillset on defense and his perimeter shooting rank towards the bottom on the list of needs.
WigginsNation
Analyst
And1: 1,389

Post#19 » by WigginsNation » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:57 am

LakerClipperFan wrote:We are the LAKERS bro, we have 16 Championships. Of course free agents want to come to L.A. The list should therefore include Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, Klay.

Who wants to join that circus and be in Lebron’s shadow? If I was any of those guys, I would not even consider the Lakers
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#20 » by Landsberger » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:48 pm

what would jack bauer do? wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Yeah but defensively the complete opposite is true. Ingram has the potential to do what he did post all-star break from 3pt range and overall. Kuzma is turning 24 in a few months and likely has hit his ceiling. Don't get me wrong, I love Kuzma but if we're looking at pieces to a championship roster his skillset on defense and his perimeter shooting rank towards the bottom on the list of needs.

His individual defense is underrated in my opinion. Luke had him playing the 5 defensively for a good portion of the season which was nuts. Individual defense isn't our problem... playing as a team is. His defensive stats for the majority of the season were significantly better than last year. Having to defend centers shouldn't be held against him.

Kuzma is cheaper, we control him longer and he doesn't need the ball to effect the offense. Ingram has to pound the ball offensively and the 3 point % is as high as it is because he takes so few. If he shoots 6 a game my guess is that it drops to the mid 30's as well.

The age thing to me is silly. So what that he's older. Does age alone mean you will progress and then plateau? No one ever got better before the one and done era when everyone came in at 22?

To me it's not about one or the other but about fit and what we need to get better. With guys like LeBron we need guys who can play off the ball and don't require forced touches to score.

Here's my biggest issue with Ingram and I think of it this way. We will have to pay him in all likelihood if we don't move him this offseason. His trade value will be dropping like a rock like Randle's did going into his FA summer. Here's the question we need to answer..... would you sign Ingram to a Max contract if he were someone else's FA over other available guys because that's what we're talking about if we keep him? For how he fits on this team my answer is no. We don't need a 2 guard that has to pound the ball to score with a guy like LeBron here and a PG like Ball. Ingram's best games this season were mostly losses (7-13 in games where he scored over 20). In those games we had some of the slowest pace in the season as well. He showed he can score at a high efficiency however we didn't do well in those games for the most part and we slowed down. Maybe that was Luke forcing him into the same role as Bron or maybe it was where he's most comfortable. If he has enough value (along with our pick) to bring us a top 5 SG who can finish at the rim and hit 3's I'd move him. Add Leonard and be done. Add Vucevic and that 2 guard and we'd be good as well.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers