Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach 

Post#1 » by enderwilson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 pm

Read on Twitter
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Re: Luke Walton to be hired as Sacramento's new head coach 

Post#2 » by enderwilson » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:53 pm

I have to think that even the people who don't like this move, must at the very least find it interesting that in the span of a few years we've gone from a team that few people wanted to be a part of, to a team where we had a number of quality individuals lined up to interview for the head coaching position. In addition, in the span of one week we've gone from firing our most successful coach in over a decade, to hiring his successor, which was the intended target for the job.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,529

Post#3 » by codydaze » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 pm

I think Buddy is happy.

Read on Twitter
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#4 » by KF10 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 pm

I’m not sure if I’m right but Luke strikes me as a lateral move coming from Joerger. He’s more or less at the same coaching tier with Joerger. The difference is that Luke has significantly less baggage and is more relatable to the players than Joerger can. Which is a big plus.

That being said, if Luke manages to revive some of his Warriors success and plays with the Kings though, it’s gonna be great.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#5 » by City of Trees » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 pm

I like the hire.

X's and O's may be a lateral move but Luke's personality and coaching style are better suited.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#6 » by sacking123 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 pm

I’m on the fence with this hire. I will absolutely support Luke and hopefully he is just what we need.
It’s strange Vlade didn’t interview the other candidates or wait, however he hasn’t waited on any hirings, he knows who he wants and goes after it.

I don’t think Joerger should have stayed, but not because of the reasons some have said on these forums ie rotations, in game adjustments. The reality is Luke seems to be the same in that regard and that’s been a big knock on him.
I think stylistically he is an upgrade and connecting with the young players he will be too.

The thing that has played on my mind though the most as a negative is development.
I thought there was something around the Lakers that said Luke refused to add development resources around the group or something along those lines. Perhaps he is a coach that likes developing from a more traditional sense, make mistakes in game and work on them in practise, I’m not sure, but it should still be a huge part in the Kings.
Here’s to the playoffs next season.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#7 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:16 pm

It sounds like Vlade may have wanted him prior to hiring Joerger. So if that's the case he gets his man!
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#8 » by blind prophet » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Maybe we can keep Elston around too?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,809

Post#9 » by TylersLakers » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Hey guys, I come in peace.

Just thought I'd give you some Luke Walton intel. I believe from an X and O's and actual on the court coaching standpoint that Luke is a downgrade from Joerger. Now, as long as the front office is unified and Luke is included in the decision making, he'll be a much better personality fit with the team.

Now, it's not all doom and gloom. I think Luke has a ton of potential. But for him to maximize that potential, he needs to understand his strengths and weaknesses and address them.

He's phenomenal when it comes to building relationships with players, he's one of the best in the league when it comes to working with the media, and if he's given the leeway to run the team how he sees fit, players will love coming into work every day and battling for him. Culture is important to Luke and he wasn't provided the ability to have a successful culture because of Magic & Rob's insistency to sign players to one-year deals and shoot for the stars in free agency. Hopefully the Sacramento front office does a much better job working with Luke to sign players that fit the team and keep them there.

I think he's also really good when it comes to the defensive end of the floor. Along with Brian Keefe (who I imagine will be an assistant on his staff), they'll do a really good job on that end of the floor.

--------------------

For the weaknesses, it's all fixable stuff, but he has to understand them and actually be proactive when it comes to fixing it. Over his time with the Lakers, he was reluctant to improve these areas:

1A) His assistant coaching staff: I imagine his main guys will be Jesse Mermuys, Brian Keefe, and Mark Madsen. There might be a possibility with Brian Shaw, but it seems like the Lakers front office is high on him and wants to retain him. It seems the same thing with Miles Simon, who does a great job in player development. Brian Keefe is solid defensively, as I mentioned.

1B) His ATO plays usually are designed very well and usually produce good looks. He's always been sharp with ATO plays regardless of who was on the roster. It seems like whenever the Lakers have time to talk about what they want to do, they get good results. When they don't have time to talk about it, there's too much chaos if things break down in the slightest.

2) But that's about the end with the positives of the staff. There's so many things I question with Luke and his staff. The Lakers have been one of the worst teams in the last 3 years when it comes to setting screens. To me, that's a reflection of the coaching staff. The talent on the roster has changed basically every year and the terrible screen setting remains. Luke speaks of it's importance, but it seems like nothing is ever done about it. Nearly all of Luke's assistants are people he's had relationships with since Arizona. Basically, his college buddies. I'm not sure what value Jesse Mermuys brings to the table, to be honest. He's basically Luke's right hand man, and it seems like he's basically along for the ride. He was labeled the "offensive co-ordinator" the last couple years, but that's the area of the floor the Lakers struggled the most.

3A) The player movement: Unless it involves the main action, there's next to no player movement on the weakside of the floor. It was absolutely annoying to watch Lonzo Ball for basically his entire rookie year pass the ball to a player on the elbow and then go stand in the corner for 20 seconds. As the season goes on, the weakside player movement usually gets better, but it takes him & and his staff way too long to get it going.

3B) Spacing principles: Magic & Rob are completely delusional and shouldn't be in an NBA front office. They didn't do him any favours when it comes to getting guys on the roster who can knock down shots from distance. With that said, you cannot have 4 players below the free throw line as much as Luke & the offensive coaching staff do. He didn't do a good job of teaching motion principles where players relocate to open areas.

4) His rotations: They're awful. There will be many times throughout the season where a veteran is playing down the stretch of close games over Bagley or Harrison Barnes will be on the floor even if you forgot he was on the court for the 3 previous quarters.

5) His in-game adjustments: Non-existent. What kills the Lakers during the 1st and 2nd quarters kill them in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

6) Player development: It's hard to pin point this on Luke and his staff as I believe player development is an organizational success/failure. However, Luke usually assigns a few players to one assistant coach. For example, Kuzma, Lonzo & Hart were always with Miles Simon. Brandon Ingram was always with Brian Keefe. Young players on the Lakers have had the same flaws from Luke's 1st year until now. It's so difficult to watch Lonzo Ball and basically every other young player on the roster shoot free throws. It's difficult to watch Brandon Ingram thrown in repeated isolation situations when it's the worst play type by far for him. Part of player development is putting players in situations where they'll excel the most and Luke doesn't do that. If a player is not good at something, he tries beating a dead horse to improve that specific area of their game.

7) A shooting coach: Magic mentioned in an interview with Spectrum a few months into the 2017-2018 season that Luke didn't want to hire a shooting coach because he believed his assistants were doing a good enough job. Magic said because of that, he elected not to get in the way and go beyond Luke's wishes. He assured Mike Bresnahan that the following season, it wouldn't happen and the Lakers would have a shooting coach. The next season, nothing happened. Kuzma, Ingram, & Josh Hart all regressed. That job responsibility still fell to the assistant coaches.

It'll be interesting to see what Luke brings with him as far as a coaching staff is concerned. He delegates so much to his assistants that his staff means everything. Luke had opportunities and according to Chris Haynes, Magic would have been willing to stay with him next season if Luke agreed to beef up his coaching staff. Luke declined.

Here's a few videos that highlight Luke's struggles when it comes to his offensive system this year:

Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 159

Post#10 » by Lost in LA » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:01 am

interesting
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by sacking123 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:43 am

TylersLakers wrote:Hey guys, I come in peace.

Just thought I'd give you some Luke Walton intel. I believe from an X and O's and actual on the court coaching standpoint that Luke is a downgrade from Joerger. Now, as long as the front office is unified and Luke is included in the decision making, he'll be a much better personality fit with the team.

Now, it's not all doom and gloom. I think Luke has a ton of potential. But for him to maximize that potential, he needs to understand his strengths and weaknesses and address them.

He's phenomenal when it comes to building relationships with players, he's one of the best in the league when it comes to working with the media, and if he's given the leeway to run the team how he sees fit, players will love coming into work every day and battling for him. Culture is important to Luke and he wasn't provided the ability to have a successful culture because of Magic & Rob's insistency to sign players to one-year deals and shoot for the stars in free agency. Hopefully the Sacramento front office does a much better job working with Luke to sign players that fit the team and keep them there.

I think he's also really good when it comes to the defensive end of the floor. Along with Brian Keefe (who I imagine will be an assistant on his staff), they'll do a really good job on that end of the floor.

--------------------

For the weaknesses, it's all fixable stuff, but he has to understand them and actually be proactive when it comes to fixing it. Over his time with the Lakers, he was reluctant to improve these areas:

1A) His assistant coaching staff: I imagine his main guys will be Jesse Mermuys, Brian Keefe, and Mark Madsen. There might be a possibility with Brian Shaw, but it seems like the Lakers front office is high on him and wants to retain him. It seems the same thing with Miles Simon, who does a great job in player development. Brian Keefe is solid defensively, as I mentioned.

1B) His ATO plays usually are designed very well and usually produce good looks. He's always been sharp with ATO plays regardless of who was on the roster. It seems like whenever the Lakers have time to talk about what they want to do, they get good results. When they don't have time to talk about it, there's too much chaos if things break down in the slightest.

2) But that's about the end with the positives of the staff. There's so many things I question with Luke and his staff. The Lakers have been one of the worst teams in the last 3 years when it comes to setting screens. To me, that's a reflection of the coaching staff. The talent on the roster has changed basically every year and the terrible screen setting remains. Luke speaks of it's importance, but it seems like nothing is ever done about it. Nearly all of Luke's assistants are people he's had relationships with since Arizona. Basically, his college buddies. I'm not sure what value Jesse Mermuys brings to the table, to be honest. He's basically Luke's right hand man, and it seems like he's basically along for the ride. He was labeled the "offensive co-ordinator" the last couple years, but that's the area of the floor the Lakers struggled the most.

3A) The player movement: Unless it involves the main action, there's next to no player movement on the weakside of the floor. It was absolutely annoying to watch Lonzo Ball for basically his entire rookie year pass the ball to a player on the elbow and then go stand in the corner for 20 seconds. As the season goes on, the weakside player movement usually gets better, but it takes him & and his staff way too long to get it going.

3B) Spacing principles: Magic & Rob are completely delusional and shouldn't be in an NBA front office. They didn't do him any favours when it comes to getting guys on the roster who can knock down shots from distance. With that said, you cannot have 4 players below the free throw line as much as Luke & the offensive coaching staff do. He didn't do a good job of teaching motion principles where players relocate to open areas.

4) His rotations: They're awful. There will be many times throughout the season where a veteran is playing down the stretch of close games over Bagley or Harrison Barnes will be on the floor even if you forgot he was on the court for the 3 previous quarters.

5) His in-game adjustments: Non-existent. What kills the Lakers during the 1st and 2nd quarters kill them in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

6) Player development: It's hard to pin point this on Luke and his staff as I believe player development is an organizational success/failure. However, Luke usually assigns a few players to one assistant coach. For example, Kuzma, Lonzo & Hart were always with Miles Simon. Brandon Ingram was always with Brian Keefe. Young players on the Lakers have had the same flaws from Luke's 1st year until now. It's so difficult to watch Lonzo Ball and basically every other young player on the roster shoot free throws. It's difficult to watch Brandon Ingram thrown in repeated isolation situations when it's the worst play type by far for him. Part of player development is putting players in situations where they'll excel the most and Luke doesn't do that. If a player is not good at something, he tries beating a dead horse to improve that specific area of their game.

7) A shooting coach: Magic mentioned in an interview with Spectrum a few months into the 2017-2018 season that Luke didn't want to hire a shooting coach because he believed his assistants were doing a good enough job. Magic said because of that, he elected not to get in the way and go beyond Luke's wishes. He assured Mike Bresnahan that the following season, it wouldn't happen and the Lakers would have a shooting coach. The next season, nothing happened. Kuzma, Ingram, & Josh Hart all regressed. That job responsibility still fell to the assistant coaches.

It'll be interesting to see what Luke brings with him as far as a coaching staff is concerned. He delegates so much to his assistants that his staff means everything. Luke had opportunities and according to Chris Haynes, Magic would have been willing to stay with him next season if Luke agreed to beef up his coaching staff. Luke declined.

Here's a few videos that highlight Luke's struggles when it comes to his offensive system this year:

Thank you for the breakdown and the time you have put into it.
It’s pretty much what A lot of people are saying but with a lot more in depth analysis.

There are a number of areas that are concerning to be honest.
I just hope Luke works on these areas and let’s these young guys flourish.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#12 » by SacKingZZZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:01 am

Hey if you think that paint stuffing and spacing was bad I'd like to introduce you to Dave Joerger. Dave likes to post up while running back door cuts to the baseline where the pass is made from the high post or 3 point line. And I'm seriously talking on the same sequence.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#13 » by TylersLakers » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:13 am

simonbampfield wrote:

--------------------

Thank you for the breakdown and the time you have put into it.
It’s pretty much what A lot of people are saying but with a lot more in depth analysis.

There are a number of areas that are concerning to be honest.
I just hope Luke works on these areas and let’s these young guys flourish.

I think the roster fit is tailored so much better to Luke's strengths as a coach with the Kings. Bogdanovic is one of the players in the league I wish the Lakers could acquire and I think he'll be deadly under Luke. If Luke can do what he did with KCP, I would imagine Bogdan will be unbelievable.

I just really hope he hires an offensive assistant and leaves the Arizona buddies at home. Seriously.

And I'll be rooting for losses for the Kings, because I think you guys are one of the most talented teams in the league. I love Bagley and Bogdanovic so much, but I worry those guys will be on the bench in crunch time for useless veterans.

It will also be interesting to see how he builds a roster when he's not working under useless rejects like Jim Buss, Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#14 » by codydaze » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:11 pm

Just finished watching the introduction presser with Luke. Some key points that were made:

1. He wants to play fast and mentioned that we'll be shooting a lot of threes next year. This is something we all pretty much saw coming, the style our roster is set up to play fits in perfectly with his offensive philosophy.

2. Mentioned there will be a huge emphasis on defense, said he loves offense but that defense wins championships and that will be a priority in practices.

3. One big criticism of Luke has been his staff so it was nice to hear that Luke and Vlade will be sitting down to build the staff together. Hopefully a guy like Elston Turner sticks around and we build a quality coaching staff.

4. He also mentioned that the Kings job was very desirable to him and when the opportunity came up to take the job he was on board quickly because it was too good to pass up. Sounds really excited to get to work with the roster.

sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by sacking123 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:59 pm

codydaze wrote:Just finished watching the introduction presser with Luke. Some key points that were made:

1. He wants to play fast and mentioned that we'll be shooting a lot of threes next year. This is something we all pretty much saw coming, the style our roster is set up to play fits in perfectly with his offensive philosophy.

2. Mentioned there will be a huge emphasis on defense, said he loves offense but that defense wins championships and that will be a priority in practices.

3. One big criticism of Luke has been his staff so it was nice to hear that Luke and Vlade will be sitting down to build the staff together. Hopefully a guy like Elston Turner sticks around and we build a quality coaching staff.

4. He also mentioned that the Kings job was very desirable to him and when the opportunity came up to take the job he was on board quickly because it was too good to pass up. Sounds really excited to get to work with the roster.

Yeah I was happy to see Madsden pick up a college job as that was one of Luke’s assistants and there hasn’t been much good said about them. Although Madsden seemed like he wasn’t the problem assistant.

Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#16 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:32 pm

--------------------

Thank you for the honest and neutrally presented breakdown. I for one very much appreciate it.

I do believe that Luke had a pretty raw deal with the Lakers in regards to what they took away and what they gave him to work with.

And LeBron was a huge negative not a positive.

I think that people underestimate Vlade. He has the strength of personality and the vision needed (and authority) to enforce no more buddy system hire. He will insist on bringing in the right guys to shore up the weak points. I believe also that this roster is the kind that Luke can really have success with.
bleeds_purple
Analyst
And1: 1,809

Post#17 » by bleeds_purple » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 am

Luke strikes me as the kind of guy who is willing to learn from his mistakes.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by codydaze » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:11 am

Bagley seems to be happy with it too. I don’t know if you can see all the pictures but the two after him and Giles are with Luke.

KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#19 » by KF10 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 am

Great!
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 pm

bleeds_purple wrote:Luke strikes me as the kind of guy who is willing to learn from his mistakes.

I hope so. He said during his press conference that the coaching staff wasn't set yet. Hopefully that's accurate.

Return to Sacramento Kings