The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#1 » by Kobblehead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:05 pm

Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part III 

Post#2 » by Mojo Amok » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm

From the locked thread:

DaddyCool19 wrote:If Butler stays, he should be traded for a good shooter. Maybe Beal or Lillard if one of them asks out? If you land Beal, sign someone like Beverley as your PG.

I don't know that Beal's available at all, but the big problem if he was would be that Simmons and Wall is just such a horrific pairing that it's almost guaranteed disfunction. Simmons growing as a player and Wall recouping his value or getting back into it with both guys playing together is almost certain failure. And then you end up with $70 million committed to two guys who can't play together.

Plus, that's not even mentioning that Troy Brown and Satoransky are also poor fits with Simmons.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#3 » by Black Mage » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 pm

Simmons is more of a Lamar Odom type at this stage regarding his handle.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,346

Post#4 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:47 pm

For Karl Towns or Anthony Davis. Some top tier star who can shoot.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#5 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Sure he can improve his shooting.

But as good as a shooter that we need him to be?

The type who will spend 75-90% of the time out at the perimeter for Embiid to operate?

I doubt it.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#6 » by sixers hoops » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:52 pm

Black Mage wrote:Simmons is more of a Lamar Odom type at this stage regarding his handle.

I thought he was an excellent point guard early in his career with the expected improvement, but it is very difficult to play on the perimeter without shooting.

I would be curious to see how effective he could be in an Odom type role.

He can get rebounds and run a great fast break. Postup and hit shooters. He is crafty around the basket. It seems like a good direction to go.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#7 » by 76ciology » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Black Mage wrote:Simmons is more of a Lamar Odom type at this stage regarding his handle.

Actually he’s number is very comparable to Lamar Odom
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach
And1: 3,933

Post#8 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Odom could shoot, yeah not elite by any means but enough.
Horrible takes since 2016
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#9 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Guys, I know yesterday was disappointing and we all want to win now. But let's remember it took Jordan NINE YEARS to win his first title, it took Lebron EIGHT years to win his first etc etc. Ben, for all his faults, is 22 years old in his second season In the nba of which he's already been the roy and is an all-star. Blake Griffin, Jason Kidd, Magic and a number of other stars couldn't shoot when they first came onto the scene too but got there in the end. Ben Is an absolute freak who can do special things on any given day. Could we ever forgive ourselves If we traded Ben and he developed a jumper elsewhere? It would devestate this organisation and haunt us for years. Nah, I'm gonna stay with this young man and pray he gets his act together by getting a real shooting coach (which seems to be the plan) and shooting with his right hand. If he doesn't then I will have to concede that it's not working.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#10 » by VDT » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Guys, I know yesterday was disappointing and we all want to win now. But let's remember it took Jordan NINE YEARS to win his first title, it took Lebron EIGHT years to win his first etc etc. Ben, for all his faults, is 22 years old in his second season In the nba of which he's already been the roy and is an all-star. Blake Griffin, Jason Kidd, Magic and a number of other stars couldn't shoot when they first came onto the scene too but got there in the end. Ben Is an absolute freak who can do special things on any given day. Could we ever forgive ourselves If we traded Ben and he developed a jumper elsewhere? It would devestate this organisation and haunt us for years. Nah, I'm gonna stay with this young man and pray he gets his act together by getting a real shooting coach (which seems to be the plan) and shooting with his right hand. If he doesn't then I will have to concede that it's not working.

It didnt take Jordan 9 years but that's beside the point. All of the players that led their teams to a title had shown much more than Simmons by the time they were 23 or in their third year for those players that had to stay more year in college. That's also beside the point because the main issue people have with Simmons is not that he is not great right now but that he is hurting the team against certain opponents and it is not easy to see how the situation will improve. Also the Sixers cannot wait 5 or 10 years for Simmons to develop a reasonable jumper (and it is still doubtful if he is going to be able).
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,884

Post#11 » by Wilfried » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:55 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:Blake Griffin, Jason Kidd, Magic and a number of other stars couldn't shoot when they first came onto the scene too but got there in the end.

Big difference is they weren't reluctant to shoot, even if they weren't any good.

I've never seen a player 'afraid' to even attempt a 3-pointer, and it worries me that after all this years he still doesn't understand he's shooting with the wrong (not right) hand.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach

Post#12 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:25 pm

There is a possibility that some of the issues Ben has are a product of being coddled by Brett, we know he was attempting shots in high school, maybe we should start by firing this useless coach and then reevaluate our players, it is a possibility that a more strict and better coach can unlock more potential in Simmons. If NOLA doesn't accept Simmons for Davis, I say fire Brett and see what happens with a better coach. I don't think Simmons has it in him to improve, but there is a possibility I'm wrong and it is Brett who is slowing him down.
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,520

Post#13 » by Slacktard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:37 pm

My biggest issue is everyone saw his shortcomings last year. Those shortcomings were exploited by the Celtics and made Simmons useless and hindered the offense. Simmons offseason solution? Tell everyone he can't shoot and remove it entirely.

It's like some driving a car sucks at parking and just says "ok. I just won't park... and then leaves their car anywhere"
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#14 » by the_process » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:26 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:From the locked thread:

DaddyCool19 wrote:If Butler stays, he should be traded for a good shooter. Maybe Beal or Lillard if one of them asks out? If you land Beal, sign someone like Beverley as your PG.

I don't know that Beal's available at all, but the big problem if he was would be that Simmons and Wall is just such a horrific pairing that it's almost guaranteed disfunction. Simmons growing as a player and Wall recouping his value or getting back into it with both guys playing together is almost certain failure. And then you end up with $70 million committed to two guys who can't play together.

Plus, that's not even mentioning that Troy Brown and Satoransky are also poor fits with Simmons.

Send Simmons to PHX for Booker, send Booker to WSH for Beal. Which is just one idea.
NYSixersFan
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#15 » by NYSixersFan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:50 pm

Go look at his summer league highlights from 2016....He took and made mid range jumpers....what happened to that guy?
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#16 » by PhillyPhilly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 pm

A lot of people love to say Ben was "exposed" against the Celtics but didn't he average 16 ppg during that series? Which was higher than his regular season average (15 ppg). He wasn't great In that series, but let's not try to re-write history and act like he was poor in all five games. He had that one point game and then did Ok after that. It was his first year so he could be excused. Look what happened to a vet like Lowry yesterday? This is why we shouldn't go over the top after game one against the Nets. Ben will step it up over these next few games, I have no doubt about it.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#17 » by eyeatoma » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 pm

I'd say heavily shop SImmons if it looks like Embiid can remain relatively healthy. I'm concerned about the knee. There's speculation that it could be degenerative arthritis. If that's not it, then I'd really consider trying to trade Ben for AD or someone of that calibre.
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#18 » by Black Mage » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:38 pm

eyeatoma wrote:I'd say heavily shop SImmons if it looks like Embiid can remain relatively healthy. I'm concerned about the knee. There's speculation that it could be degenerative arthritis. If that's not it, then I'd really consider trying to trade Ben for AD or someone of that calibre.

Just dawned on me, under Hinkie Sixers did everything right to get him healthy. Under BC they played Embiid on a torn meniscus. Under Elton they played him thru a back strain and knee tendonitis. This organization has done everything backwards since Hinkie left. FU Silver.
Bum Adebayo
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Bum Adebayo » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Gotta say it is one of my happiest moments since watching NBA, Simmons is winning the poll on who is the most overrated player in NBA lmfao
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1827676
Tomjas
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,173

Post#20 » by Tomjas » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:04 am

Given our roster for next year, is it even possible to trade Ben for a superstar?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers