ImageImageImageImage

Mo Bamba's future with Orlando?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Mo Bamba's future with Orlando? 

Post#1 » by orthoman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:29 pm

I wanted to ask the forum this...

Regardless of how Orlando fares in the Playoffs, what are everyone's thoughts on the future of Bamba with Orlando?

He gets more minutes next season?
He suddenly is thrusted in starting if Vucevic is traded?
He winds up getting traded?

He has had bad luck this year with the injury and I'm sure he strengthen's himself, but I see him similar to Mo Harkless...just
not alot of fire and intensity from him, but I could be very wrong.

Thoughts?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 9,971

Re: Mo Bamba's future with Orlando? 

Post#2 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:34 pm

future's secure....hasn't even played a full season so really no other GM would trade for him and me personally i wouldn't trade him just yet. Like isaac the boy needs time for his body to catch up to his talent, too early for him to be put in trade scenarios IMO
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,689

Post#3 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Probably more minutes next year as he develops. The same process Isaac went through

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,689

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Solid Snake wrote:future's secure....hasn't even played a full season so really no other GM would trade for him and me personally i wouldn't trade him just yet. Like isaac the boy needs time for his body to catch up to his talent, too early for him to be put in trade scenarios IMO
Isaac last year didn't have enough strength to finish through any kind of contact. I'm surprised at how much strength he's gained.

Just imagine a stronger, heavier Bamba with that size and length.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:51 pm

As others have said, just look at Isaac today compared to this time last season. Why in the world would we give up on Bamba right now?

To this day we continue to hear how Isaac and AG can’t play together and impede each others growth. Just the same, even if we resign Vuc there will be plenty of minutes for Bamba. Yes, he will come off the bench but that doesn’t seem to limit Ross’ ability to make an impact.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#6 » by J_Magic » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:52 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:future's secure....hasn't even played a full season so really no other GM would trade for him and me personally i wouldn't trade him just yet. Like isaac the boy needs time for his body to catch up to his talent, too early for him to be put in trade scenarios IMO
Isaac last year didn't have enough strength to finish through any kind of contact. I'm surprised at how much strength he's gained.

Just imagine a stronger, heavier Bamba with that size and length.

Does Bamba want to play like Joel Embiid or Channing Frye?

He needs to use his length to dominate the paint. Once that closes down, then step out to the 3pt line.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#7 » by KillMonger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:57 pm

Honestly it's birch that should be worried, if I'm GM ill let him go to another team in restricted free agency. Got to free up consistent minutes for bamba and birch impedes on that. Birch is going to be fine, some other team is going to pick him up with the quickness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,154

Post#8 » by Knightro » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:10 pm

Assuming they do retain Vucevic, I suspect they'll quietly gauge trade interest in Bamba around the league. He's very likely going to be their most expendable trade piece this summer.

If they find a really good offer, I think it's possible he could be traded. If they don't, he competes with and hopefully beats out Birch in a battle for the backup C spot.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#9 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:03 am

Knightro wrote:Assuming they do retain Vucevic, I suspect they'll quietly gauge trade interest in Bamba around the league. He's very likely going to be their most expendable trade piece this summer.

If they find a really good offer, I think it's possible he could be traded. If they don't, he competes with and hopefully beats out Birch in a battle for the backup C spot.

What do you expect to get for someone on a rookie deal and coming off injury?

Unless someone is going to take back Fournier or swap recent lottery picks it just doesn’t make sense logistically to trade Bamba right now.

Unless some other GM has a crazy hard on for him, he has more value to Orlando as a backup project than he does as a trade asset.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#10 » by PrimeThyme » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:09 am

I really go back and forth on this but I'm starting to lean towards definitely keeping him. If he continues to add size and work on his game this summer I think by this time next year he could be a really important rotation player for us. He is still the epitome of everything we are trying to build here. Long, athletic, gifted shot blocker that has the ability to stretch the floor. His skillset is coveted in this league and I think he could become a key piece for us next year come playoff time if he can stay healthy and grow under Cliff.

Sign Vuc to a 3-year contract in the 18-25 range and have Bamba ready to take over the starting spot just as it runs up. Target a SG at 16 this year and hopefully have Fultz come back healthy next fall.

Sounds good to me.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#11 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:13 am

PrimeThyme wrote:I really go back and forth on this but I'm starting to lean towards definitely keeping him. If he continues to add size and work on his game this summer I think by this time next year he could be a really important rotation player for us. He is still the epitome of everything we are trying to build here. Long, athletic, gifted shot blocker that has the ability to stretch the floor. His skillset is coveted in this league and I think he could become a key piece for us next year come playoff time if he can stay healthy and grow under Cliff.

Sign Vuc to a 3-year contract in the 18-25 range and have Bamba ready to take over the starting spot just as it runs up. Target a SG at 16 this year and hopefully have Fultz come back healthy next fall.

Sounds good to me.

Exactly. And Vuc can be moved as an expiring in that final year. People are quick to point to us not moving him this year in his expiring season but in this case we had no proven replacement. We had no choice but to demand equal return and that wasn’t happening. In this scenario we could give Bamba two years to bulk up and develop. If he becomes the player we hope he can then Vuc can be moved in a roster balance deal. Getting equal talent in return isn’t the goal. Just clearing $$ and playing time.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#12 » by Catledge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 am

I still think he should get about 8 mpg on the floor next to Vooch in addition to the backup center minutes. I know he did poorly with that early this season, but he was a lost rookie then. I think he should be able to fill Isaac's corner-three-plus-
offensive-rebounds role on offense, and I'd give him a chance to learn to move his feet on defense.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,635

Post#13 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 am

Definitely give him a season before trying to trade him, if that is the necessary step.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#14 » by Dmagic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:15 am

He seems too long, which impacts his quickness. I'm not sure tho-- too early
Magic4champ
Junior
And1: 237

Post#15 » by Magic4champ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:24 am

He needs time to physically develop and mature in his knowledge of the game. Bamba and Fultz will be scary when they reach their maturation. Hopefully they realize it eventually in Orlando. I trust coach Clifford to give them the opportunity. I imagine both Bamba and Fultz to be the next poorman's Capela and Harden in a lot of pnr combination moving forward.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#16 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 am

They’ll keep him.

He will end up taking Birch’s 13mpg and we will probably let someone else resign Birch for virtually the same production for the next 3-4 years. Bamba will be a backup Center behind Vuc, and those are one of the easiest positions to fill. Good use of a #6 pick.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#17 » by KillMonger » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:45 am

Yeah.... I doubt bamba's even played 41 games....what GM would trade for him at this point..... Just keep him

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#18 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:01 am

There's nothing wrong with keeping him and having a stockpile of depth. It would be a shame to see our #6 pick playing fewer minutes in competition with Birch, but I wouldn't be letting Birch go either.

Vuc/Birch/Bamba
Gordon/?
Isaac/Iwundu
Fournier/Ross/NAW
DJ/MCW/Fultz

There's room for plenty of different lineups amongst that crew. Lots of depth. But fewer opportunities for the young bucks unless they perform well.

But I suspect he could be talked about when New Orleans finally deal AD. Depending on what they get in return, they might swap one of their incoming young pieces for him.

The playoffs will probably influence a lot of what the team does next. Who steps up, who doesn't, might lead to some swapped pieces. We got lucky with DJ playing huge yesterday, but you can't rely on that all the time.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#19 » by NavalAviator94 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:04 am

Knightro wrote:Assuming they do retain Vucevic, I suspect they'll quietly gauge trade interest in Bamba around the league. He's very likely going to be their most expendable trade piece this summer.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 877

Post#20 » by mattyBoi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:25 am

I think he needs time to develop but at the same time I really like Birch and don't want to let him go.

One thing is for sure, Bamba needs to come into next year with a fire that he didn't have this year and didn't really show in college either. People were scoring at will on him in the paint.

Return to Orlando Magic