UFC 236 - Max vs Dustin P

Moderator: lilfishi22

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Re: UFC 236 - Max vs Dustin P 

Post#81 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:43 am

Duke4life831 wrote:If Whitaker can ever get healthy, I think he can handle Israel pretty easily. When healthy Whitaker is super quick, can get in and out very well and the dude is just so very well rounded. If Kelvin gave Israel this much of a fight, I think Robert can finish him.

Agreed, but huge props to Stylebender's rally tonight.

He's dangerous for anyone.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#82 » by Susan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 am

Major props to Dustin.

Think Max needs to bulk up a bit for 155. It doesn't seem he transformed his body much for this fight and that was the biggest difference. Porier could take those shots that Max threw his way and deliver more damage because of the difference in their frames.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#83 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 am

Bernman wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bernman wrote:
You mis-scored the first few rounds. Dustin clearly won rounds 1 and 2, with 1 a 10-8.

I saw no 10-8.

You also didn't even see Dustin winning 1 of those 2 rounds, so either you're drunk, or being a fan of Holloway is skewing your perspective.

No 10-8s.

Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#84 » by Bernman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:52 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Bernman wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
I saw no 10-8.

You also didn't even see Dustin winning 1 of those 2 rounds, so either you're drunk, or being a fan of Holloway is skewing your perspective.

No 10-8s.

I disagree, and that's the inclination of official judges to not award 10-8's, in spite of the new protocol, because they're attempting to avoid draws especially in title fights. I would have scored it a draw if Poirier didn't come back to win the 5th rd.

Poirier was teeing off on Max with more volume and power while hurting him multiple times. If that doesn't constitute a 10-8 not much does. 6 of the 23 media judges did also score it a 10-8.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,749

Post#85 » by spykelee » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:53 am

I had the first round as a 10-8 for sure. Max got battered.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#86 » by Headliner » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:38 am

I thought Dustin would win, because Max can sometimes just go in expecting to absorb damage and Dustin has serious KO power. I thought Max was gonna be KO'd though, he wasn't.
I love Max, he should stay down at 145 though or drop the belt and spend a lengthy bit of time working on his frame. He's just not powerful enough.

So what's next? Dustin vs Tony, Dustin vs Conor or Dustin vs Khabib?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#87 » by REDDzone » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:14 pm

I was wrong on both accounts but like the fighters who won so I ain't even mad.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#88 » by REDDzone » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:35 pm

Poirier is building up a pretty good resume the last few years...Holloway (x2), Eddie Alvarez, Justin Gaetjhe, Pettis, Jim Miller.

I like the prospect of him vs Khabib. Nobody has ever wrestler*cked Poirier as far as I'm aware.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,459

Post#89 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Bernman wrote:
duppyy wrote:Khabib will beat porier easily.

That's uncalled for. Let the dude enjoy his victory for a minute before you map on the subsequent fighters you speculate he'll lose to.

No, it's called for. Because this was actually just a number one contender bout. We all know that. Speculation aside, this was not a legit belt. Dustin acting like it is with the tears and the 'believe in yourself speech' is uncalled for. Khabib defended the actual belt against the very real #1 contender 7 months ago. This is just a WME PPV Bump belt.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

Post#90 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:
Bernman wrote:

That's uncalled for. Let the dude enjoy his victory for a minute before you map on the subsequent fighters you speculate he'll lose to.

No, it's called for. Because this was actually just a number one contender bout. We all know that. Speculation aside, this was not a legit belt. Dustin acting like it is with the tears and the 'believe in yourself speech' is uncalled for. Khabib defended the actual belt against the very real #1 contender 7 months ago. This is just a WME PPV Bump belt.

And in all honesty, it wasn't even the number one contender bout, it was the number two contender bout. Tony is the clear cut #1 contender in the division at the moment.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#91 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:44 pm

Poirier definitely won that, BTW. I don't understand any doubt about that. Max has relied on closing distance with reach rather than any amount of head movement, and that's just going to be so much harder to rely on at 155, where he has less of the advantage in length.

That said, I feel this fight would be fought to .500 if they fought 10 times. Even if that knee hadn't abrased Max, this might have gone different.
cowboyronnie
RealGM

Post#92 » by cowboyronnie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:
Bernman wrote:

And in all honesty, it wasn't even the number one contender bout, it was the number two contender bout. Tony is the clear cut #1 contender in the division at the moment.

True true. 3 of the top claims to the division have out-of-the-cage issues right now. One of them has already 1 rd KOd Dustin.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#93 » by Susan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:55 pm

155 is so absurd. How we have Porier, Tony and Khabib on such streaks at the same time.

Exciting to see Justin G smarten up and Gregor ascend as well. There's gunna be some insane fights in this weight class.
Huffman
Senior
And1: 511

Post#94 » by Huffman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Dustin is a winner in and outside the ring. Damn his wife is thick in all the right ways haha. Congrats to the man haha.

Hell yes on the wife, lol.

Camera man agreed. Rogan was completely cut out of the shot during his post-fight interview with Dustin to make sure his wife was front and center. :D
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#95 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:32 pm

spykelee wrote:I had the first round as a 10-8 for sure. Max got battered.

Dude was a little aggressive in calling me out for getting the scoring wrong. I'd go so far as to say he was an **** for no reason.So just thought I would point out that he got also the scoring wrong, lol.

I don't think I like Holloway at 155 much, but if were talking about what we think the scoring should have been rather than what it was, I think 2nd and 5th round were closer than people here are acting according to the stats. I was rooting for Poirier, fwiw.

https://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-236-full-live-results-holloway-vs-poirier-atlanta
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,504

Post#96 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 am

What a great co-main and main event! First card I've watched from prelims to the final bout in a long time but I thought that card really delivered.

In terms of the decisions for both bouts, I agreed with the decisions. I thought at least one of the first two rounds for the Holloway/Dustin bout would've been a 10-8 for Dustin. Things really picked up for Holloway in 3 and 4 but after that knee, the balance went back to Dustin.

StyleBender v Gastelum was real fun too. Gastelum looked really good closing the distance but there was some God awful fight IQ on display at times. A coupe of times he had Stylebender (terrible and lame AF nickname btw) hurt and instead of unloading, he went for a takedown attempt against the cage and gave Stylebender time to recover.

oh also Alan Jobaun should've won that decision but ehhhh not a great fight
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#97 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:29 am

Duke4life831 wrote:That is the one thing Dominic Cruz doesn't have as an announcer. He has 0 chemistry with the other 2 guys he's calling the fight with. Say what you want about Joe, but the 3 of these guys together have tremendous timing and chemistry with eachother.

Love Cruz technically but I agree, he doesn't have much chemistry with the other 2, especially Joe. Cruz commenting is like a job, not much joy. With DC, he's super technical too but at least he seems to have an authentic sense of humor and feels a little bit like a Fight Companion when he's commentating with Joe.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#98 » by lilfishi22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:If Whitaker can ever get healthy, I think he can handle Israel pretty easily. When healthy Whitaker is super quick, can get in and out very well and the dude is just so very well rounded. If Kelvin gave Israel this much of a fight, I think Robert can finish him.

I thought Gastelum closed the distance far too easily for someone who has such a significant disadvantage in height and reach. I think Whitaker would be able to close that distance even easier and, having more size should mean he has more power than Gastelum and he also has the killer instinct which Gastelum really lacked in this fight.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#99 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 am

cowboyronnie wrote:
Bernman wrote:

Well regardless of the belt being real, he beat a very real champion handily. What was he supposed to do? Downplay it?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#100 » by REDDzone » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 am

^^ I hate all this interim sh*t btw but with Khabib scheduled to be out for a full year...I'm fine with it. Would also be fine with Poirier defending the belt. We gotta keep this moving, especially in divisions like 155 and 170 where there are so many contenders. Putting the division on ice for a year because you're mad that your goons got in trouble for sucker punching people is too stupid to deal with.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts