Post#1 » by clyde21 » Mon Mar 5, 2018 8:18 pm

Preliminary thoughts on this guy?
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Re: Sekou Doumbouya ('19) 

Post#2 » by NYKHardKnock » Tue Mar 6, 2018 3:53 pm

Just learned about him.

I think he's the best European prospect we've had. I think he'll be better than Doncic. Looks and sounds like a Giannis clone. He's 17 so maybe he can grow to 6'10" + but if he doesn't he's already 6'9".
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#3 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:58 am

Kristaps6_NYK wrote:Just learned about him.

I think he's the best European prospect we've had. I think he'll be better than Doncic. Looks and sounds like a Giannis clone. He's 17 so maybe he can grow to 6'10" + but if he doesn't he's already 6'9".

I don't know much about him so I definitely wouldn't go that far, but he has an intriguing skill set.

Not as lengthy as Giannis but more filled out at the same age

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 7, 2018 5:10 am

I don't think he's shown any Giannis-like skill-set, and I definitely wouldn't go comparing him to Doncic in terms of prospect quality at all, but he does have great size, length and athleticism for the modern game.

Doesn't really shoot 3's well at all but his FT% has gradually improved year after year, which is a positive sign.
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#5 » by coutournant » Wed Mar 7, 2018 8:53 am

People call him French LeBron here in France. He's an incredible physical specimen at his age (only 17 years old) very quick and fluid for his height with an already strong frame. His shot is improving and he can shoot it from 3, only needs a better shot selection.
He doesn't have great intangibles though, he lacks basketball IQ, his motor is up and down. He's a monster against players his age, but he isn't very efficient at the pro level. BWB helped him a lot because he struggled in a lot of games this season in french Pro B.

He is the opposite of Luka Doncic, it's very tough to compare them as NBA prospects.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#6 » by No-Man » Wed Mar 7, 2018 11:07 am

His physical traits are amazing but his game ain't there yet, which is normal, I think he will shoot in time but I don't think he is a guy that will be featured on ball, he feels like ideally a face-up 4 that will be able to dominate the boards, slide to the 5 in smallball lineups and be a terror around the rim, both blocking shots and finishing, but not much play-making.

I think it's hard to project him unless you know how much he is going to add to his game really, I can't learn much watching him against his peers cause he is so much better physically.

He is more agile than I remember him, light on his feet, hard to compare him to a current pro really
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#7 » by CalL » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:40 pm

You think he is a better prospect than Giannis, KP, Doncic and so on? (Personally i was always a huge fan of Pons and thought he could become really special, but he doesn't seem to progress much sadly. Let's also not forget Usman Garuba, who seems like a similar type of player, but maybe even more talented than Doumbouya)
I don't see it, is there anything that he can do better than Giannis or any area where he has more potential? He as an amazing talent and i don't see any way that he won't be top top 5 next year, but in my opinion you can't compare him to Giannis, he has nowhere near the size/wingspan of Giannis and i don't see him growing another 2 or 3 inches. LeBron was a comparison that came into my mind as well, although i don't see him ever shooting or passing as good as LeBron. He has a very good frame and we also shouldn't forget that he started rather late with basketball, so he should only get better. If he becomes more aggressive, he might become a Blake Griffin type of player. I think he would be top 10 already this year based on his potential alone.

France is easily the second best country in the world when it comes to producing NBA talents. Ntilikina, Doumbouya, Pons (who is the definition of a physical freak, but sadly very injury prone), Hoard, Hayes ...
I really hope that France will finally find a way to "translate" all those talents into a great team, they are the only nation in my opinion that could challenge the US at least a bit in the near future (Canada might as well, but they need more time).
clyde21
RealGM

Post#8 » by clyde21 » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:50 pm

CalL wrote:

You think he is a better prospect than Giannis, KP, Doncic and so on? (Personally i was always a huge fan of Pons and thought he could become really special, but he doesn't seem to progress much sadly. Let's also not forget Usman Garuba, who seems like a similar type of player, but maybe even more talented than Doumbouya)
I don't see it, is there anything that he can do better than Giannis or any area where he has more potential? He as an amazing talent and i don't see any way that he won't be top top 5 next year, but in my opinion you can't compare him to Giannis, he has nowhere near the size/wingspan of Giannis and i don't see him growing another 2 or 3 inches. LeBron was a comparison that came into my mind as well, although i don't see him ever shooting or passing as good as LeBron. He has a very good frame and we also shouldn't forget that he started rather late with basketball, so he should only get better. If he becomes more aggressive, he might become a Blake Griffin type of player. I think he would be top 10 already this year based on his potential alone.

France is easily the second best country in the world when it comes to producing NBA talents. Ntilikina, Doumbouya, Pons (who is the definition of a physical freak, but sadly very injury prone), Hoard, Hayes ...
I really hope that France will finally find a way to "translate" all those talents into a great team, they are the only nation in my opinion that could challenge the US at least a bit in the near future (Canada might as well, but they need more time).

France has the plug on that North African talent. Half of their national soccer team is African.
CalL
Sophomore
And1: 102

Post#9 » by CalL » Wed Mar 7, 2018 4:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
CalL wrote:

France has the plug on that North African talent. Half of their national soccer team is African.

Yeah, i know it'a huge advantage, but they are also very good at developing those talents at INSEP. GB or Brazil probably have similar talents, but just can't develop them. Portugal is starting to do the same in football, but they don't care about basketball, otherwise they would probably have some NBA players too.
Edit: I wouldn't limit it to North Africa though. Please correct me if i am wrong, but doesn't North Africa mean Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia and so on? Doumbouya was born in Guinea, Pons was born in Haiti. Pogba's parenty immigrated from Guinea, Coman's parents immigrated from Guadeloupe, Mbappe's father is from Cameroon, Henry's father was from Guadeloupe as well.
Many other top french athletes were born in other "countries": Teddy Riner (judo) was born in Guadeloupe, Jean-Michel Lucenay (fencing) was born in Martinique, Mehdy Metella (swimming) was born in French Guiana, Dimitri Bascou (athletics) was born in Martinique and so on ...

I think our discussion has become a bit off-topic, so sorry to everyone, i think this is more of a PM discussion.
zike_42
Sixth Man
And1: 496

Post#10 » by zike_42 » Thu Mar 8, 2018 7:39 am

He's slotted at #2 on nbadraft.net's 2019 mock.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:59 pm

gotta bring this thread back...the speed+bounce on this guy for his size is uncanny.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#12 » by TGW » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:32 pm

I want the Wizards to nab multiple picks and get this guy on the roster.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#13 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Not really high on him. He is most likely a good athlete, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to Giannis or Luka on overall skill. Have to wait to see him in the combine to know if he is a lottery pick or fall off.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Killboard wrote:Not really high on him. He is most likely a good athlete, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to Giannis or Luka on overall skill. Have to wait to see him in the combine to know if he is a lottery pick or fall off.

He's the wildcard gambling GM's love.
I mean ATL could easily justify picking him at 9 after getting a higher floor wing at 5.
He looks like he will impact the game in several ways even as a raw late bloomer. If his work ethic and Sponge like approach to getting better continue,look out.
I'd gamble on him around 6-15 range given the ceiling could be elite even though the odds are he never reaches it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#15 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Killboard wrote:Not really high on him. He is most likely a good athlete, but I wouldn't put him anywhere close to Giannis or Luka on overall skill. Have to wait to see him in the combine to know if he is a lottery pick or fall off.

Giannis skill level when he was 18 was not-existent (not that I'm comparing him to Giannis anyways) so I'm not sure what you're point here is...
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#16 » by Killboard » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Giannis skill level when he was 18 was not-existent (not that I'm comparing him to Giannis anyways) so I'm not sure what you're point here is...

Well, he was a 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan who played part PG and had passing and ball handling skills. That's not frequent.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#17 » by clyde21 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Killboard wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Well, he was a 6'9 with a 7'3 wingspan who played part PG and had passing and ball handling skills. That's not frequent.

I'm not really sure how you can say that Giannis was more skilled when he was 18 than Sekou. Giannis was insanely raw even if he could handle a bit (so can Sekou, btw). Also from a shooting and overall scoring standpoints Sekou is way more advanced at the same stage.

either way, why are we even talking about Giannis or Luka here? Giannis developed in an almost unprecedented way and Luka is probably the most skilled 18-year-old we've ever seen on the international level. That's a weird standard we're holding Sekou to.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#18 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:43 pm

Sekou has a chance to eventually be the best NBA player from this class. I'd take him #2 after Zion and be patient with him. Zion is going to be box office but it wouldn't surprise me if Sekou ends up as good if not better. It will interesting to see how many inept General Managers pass on him.
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#19 » by kobyz » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 am

As a prospect he reminds me Aaron Gordon coming out of Arizona
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#20 » by No-Man » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am

Sekou lacks wiggle and skills to be a stud, he could add some been as young as he is, but he is more in the Aminu/Anunoby range if we are talking about defensive Forwards, than he is Siakam/Giannis

Return to NBA Draft