ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets fans: Where are you from? (Please only vote if you consider yourself a Nets fan)

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Where are you from? Please only vote if you are a Nets fan.

Brooklyn
6%
Queens
3%
Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk)
2%
Other parts of NYC (Manhattan, BX, Staten Island)
2%
Upstate NY (if you're from Westchester pick what you identify with)
3%
New Jersey (North or South)
34%
Other States or Canada
24%
International fan (not from USA or Canada)
26%

Total votes: 62

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Nets fans: Where are you from? (Please only vote if you consider yourself a Nets fan) 

Post#1 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

I'm a native New Yorker and was quite excited when the Nets moved to Brooklyn because going to Jersey to see games was a pain in the ass.

I'm just curious to what the demographics of Nets fans are these days. When I was going to games at Barclays there weren't many fans there, mainly people just going for cheap tickets - but it was like that when they were in NJ also (except when Kidd was doing well).

So are there more fans in Brooklyn? NJ guys still rep the Nets, but has there been a decline? Are Queens and LI guys adopting the Nets still into their Mets/Jets/Islander sets?

Give me your vote, and let me know personally about the fans demographic in your area in regards to the Nets. If you're from say, Staten Island or something - what percentage are Nets fans as an example.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,865

Re: Nets fans: Where are you from? (Please only vote if you consider yourself a Nets fan) 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:49 pm

Jersey Nets fan here (Central Jersey). There are more Knicks fans here than Nets fans here
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Re: Nets fans: Where are you from? (Please only vote if you consider yourself a Nets fan) 

Post#3 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Connecticut here.

Don't know if I ever met a Nets fan. I see people wearing their brand sometimes but I always assume it's for the black/white aesthetic style LOL. It's pretty much 50/50 Knicks and Celtics fans around here. Then you're more likely to find random Heat, Spurs, Warriors fans etc. But I also work at a high school so the kids who wear those teams are pretty much bandwagoners in the social media era.

I started following them in 97 when KVH was drafted. That was when I played middle school basketball and tried modeling my game after him as a stretch 4 (I always played power forward because I was just bigger/stronger than most kids my age, but my coach never let me shoot 3's, it was all about securing the rebounds...). But I really loved Van Horn, then after getting his posters, jerseys, folders for school etc I started getting Kittles stuff (I wish I knew what happened to my old school Kittles jersey ugh), then in the years following it was Marbury stuff, then Kidd stuff... and so on.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#4 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:18 pm

New Jersey.... Bergen County just over the George Washington Bridge
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#5 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Connecticut here.

Don't know if I ever met a Nets fan. I see people wearing their brand sometimes but I always assume it's for the black/white aesthetic style LOL. It's pretty much 50/50 Knicks and Celtics fans around here. Then you're more likely to find random Heat, Spurs, Warriors fans etc. But I also work at a high school so the kids who wear those teams are pretty much bandwagoners in the social media era.

I started following them in 97 when KVH was drafted. That was when I played middle school basketball and tried modeling my game after him as a stretch 4 (I always played power forward because I was just bigger/stronger than most kids my age, but my coach never let me shoot 3's, it was all about securing the rebounds...). But I really loved Van Horn, then after getting his posters, jerseys, folders for school etc I started getting Kittles stuff (I wish I knew what happened to my old school Kittles jersey ugh), then in the years following it was Marbury stuff, then Kidd stuff... and so on.

I was thinking of making a CT option but I figure most people there are Knicks or Celtics fans.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:29 pm

id be surprised to see much other then NJ and a trickle from other areas. Even if there are more nets fans in brooklyn now, people on here are fans from when the team was in NJ... and like nobody in NY was a nets fan when they were in NJ.

and there are still FAR more knicks fans then nets fans in jersey

it will take time, but its building.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,865

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:03 pm

Prokorov wrote:id be surprised to see much other then NJ and a trickle from other areas. Even if there are more nets fans in brooklyn now, people on here are fans from when the team was in NJ... and like nobody in NY was a nets fan when they were in NJ.

and there are still FAR more knicks fans then nets fans in jersey

it will take time, but its building.

I will wager there are far more Sixer fans i jersey as well

although after Saturday's horrific display by Philly fans, who knows :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#8 » by kamaze » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:12 pm

I was born in Queens now I live in North Jersey.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#9 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Never lived in NJ/NY area but I've moved around and in Tenn now. Nets fan soon as Kidd got traded to NJ (Followed him from Dallas to Phoenix to Nets, stuck with Nets but obviously pulled for Kidd in Dallas vs Heatles)

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 645

Post#10 » by NetsJets » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm

North Jersey. Became a fan because the team played in the state I lived in. I was devastated when they moved to Brooklyn, but I’m over it for the most part. At least they’re still close enough and is a car or train ride away.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,202

Post#11 » by Papi_swav » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:48 pm

Brooooookkklllllyyyyynnnnnn ! I'm probably the only Nets fan here from Brooklyn lol honestly most of the people I know in my borough don't care about the Nets, I know only like 6 people that are nets fans. I've been a Nets fan since the Finals days with Kidd and them. I'm also a Knicks fan, I know it's a shocker to be both but I'm from NY. This was before NBATV so I had to mostly watch Knicks and Nets on TV. Most of my family was already Knicks fans but Nets were so much better in those days that I had to watch them. I was a child at this time.

I've been to many Nets games in NJ because it was so much cheaper than going to MSG. When they made the move to Brooklyn I can't tell you how hype I was, Jay-z opened up the arena with his concert which I attended, I went to the first summer league game and the first season opener game against the Raptors, I remember everything clearly, I will never forget.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Post#12 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm

I'm from Brooklyn(though I live in Manhattan now). While my dad was a HUGE Knicks fan, I only really liked LeBron and would mainly root for him. When the Nets announced their move to Brooklyn, I instantly became a Nets fan because I love BK and didn't want to support the Knicks at all.

Most people from BK are definitely Knicks fans tho. A very small percentage switched to the Nets and some might've now that the Knicks look like a dumpster fire. There are def a growing base of young fans that will pay off in 5-10 yrs or so.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#13 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Connecticut..... Tri-state represent!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#14 » by Rockice_24 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Jersey Shore down in Seaside Park for me.
Antti22
Senior
And1: 233

Post#15 » by Antti22 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:43 pm

I am from Estonia, Europe. I did arrive "here" with Vince getting traded here, but never left after that. Have been lucky to have seen some Nets games in person aswell. A few when they were in NJ and Vince was still here and then a few in Brooklyn just after the Boston trade (November of that year when all seemed very well with KG, Pierce, Deron, JJ and Brook all there).

Not that active around these boards most of the time. But I do watch quite many games live on-line, even though they usually start around 2-3 AM (7-8 PM ET).
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#16 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 pm

I'm from NJ too.

I don't think there are more Knicks fans. But when I was growing up the Nets were in the Finals.

I think it was probably like 55-45 Nets to Knicks fans.

When we moved to Brooklyn I think NJ became more Knicks friendly though.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#17 » by Shark » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:31 am

Born in the Bronx and lived in Manhattan most of my life. Became a fan during the short lived Marbury era.
ZUDAMAGIC
Veteran
And1: 1,765

Post#18 » by ZUDAMAGIC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 am

Toronto :lol:
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#19 » by brook » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

I'm from South Italy! Nets fan since Kidd era!
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#20 » by Stone » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 pm

I grew up in Cliffside Park, New Jersey. Moved to Bay Ridge Brooklyn spent 18 years there so I consider myself a duel citizen.....I now live in Central Jersey. I would say more Knicks fans across the board.

I'm an old time Nets fan going back to our ABA days with guys like Rick Barry shooting underhand foul shots. Billy "The Wopper" Paltz, Bill Melchionni and of corse Dr J.......I remember wating the game Dr J scored 63 or 64 points for us. He had 25 in the first quarter alone.

Fast forward to the 80's....my memory was a little "Smoky " from back then if you what I'm sayin. But I do remember going to games at the Meadows where there was maybe a 1000 people there.

One of my best Nets memories was when I met Drazen at the Holihans on Route 3 in Seacaucs...I know Raneman has heard this one 8 times.....but I haven't told it in a long time....lol......So anyway, My brother in law and I walk in to Holihans and he spots Drazen sitting in a booth with his friends. He says hey to him and I'll never forget the look on his face...His jaw dropped lookin at us like "Do I know these guys?"..This was when he first got here and was not well known at the time.....So then we go sit at the bar and as he was leaving he came over to us and talked to us about the Nets, Jersey and other stuff.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence

Return to Brooklyn Nets