ImageImageImageImageImage

Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,937

Re: Transaction Discussion Part 3 (Trades, Free-Agency, News, Rumors & Ideas) 

Post#1061 » by Mamba4Goat » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:17 am

DieHardFan wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Random question--say you guys use up your cap--would you rather have Bevs cap hold and whatever you could get for Lou or Lou Williams?

We might need to know how we used our cap space before answering this question.

Fair point. Let's say 1 star (take your pick) and one fringe guy (like Vuc)
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#1062 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:33 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:
DieHardFan wrote:
Mamba4Goat wrote:Random question--say you guys use up your cap--would you rather have Bevs cap hold and whatever you could get for Lou or Lou Williams?

We might need to know how we used our cap space before answering this question.

Fair point. Let's say 1 star (take your pick) and one fringe guy (like Vuc)

We wouldn't put ourselves in a situation like that to get Vucevic. Lou is our clutch guy from bench. Pat is our heart. We keep em both instead of Vucevic.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,740

Post#1063 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:52 pm

1. Sign a max FA. KD would be the most ideal fit IMO, with Kawhi a very close second.
2. Re-sign most all of our current rotation guys- Beverly, Zubac, either Green or Temple or hopefully both (Green and Temple have both proven to be excellent glue guys, and Green is a nice floor stretcher.)
3. Throw a feeler at a guy like Oubre for reason True outlined, or maybe we get lucky and get a quality ring chaser (or 2) if we sign a big FA
4. Focus on/count on improvement from rookies SGA, Landry, and JR, as well as Zubac.

If that FA is KD, then we are the favorites next year in the West. If that FA is Kawhi and KD leaves GSW, we are the favorites in the West. I'd much rather do this, than try to sign 2 max FA's but lose guys like Bev, Danilo, etc. to create the cap space. Bev sets the tone for the entire team.

Our biggest weakness is relying too much on Lou and Danilo as primary scorers. They are both very good scorers, but GSW literally has 3 better scorers than them (of course they have 3 better scorers than most of the league.) Lou is a 42% FG shooter and runs hot and cold, Danilo is dynamic for a PF but not so much when compared to the really good wing scorers in the league (and is of course an injury risk.)

Of course all of this hinges on getting one of those top tier FA's. If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure...2 of the other big FA's are guards which we don't need, then you have Jimmy Butler? We would literally have the most hard-nosed team in all of sports if we signed him LOL (Bev, Harrell, and Butler on the court at the same time would be kind of amazing to watch), but we're all worried about his age (and fit.)
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#1064 » by Vae Victus » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:14 pm

To me its very simple

Plan A (shoot for the stars dream plan):
Sign Kawhi, trade Gallo + SRP for S&T KD, S&T PatBev + Lou Will + SEGA (with SEGA's improvement might not need to throw in the 2021 MIA FRP) + PHI 2020 prot FRP for AD, sign best ring chasing PG for Room Exception (5ish mil), re-sign Zubac to a value deal starting at 5m

Plan B (realistic but needs some luck with KD's choice of spots to land at):
Sign Kawhi, trade Gallo + 2 SRP for S&T KD, re-sign PatBev to value deal (8mil like Lou Will), try to resign Temple with remaining cap (prolly like 2-3mil tops), re-sign JaMychal Green with Room Exception, re-sign Zubac to a value deal starting at 5.5m

Plan C (1 superstar + solid FA signings)
Sign Kawhi, re-sign PatBev (3 yr 27m), sign Jonas Valanciunus (3 yr 50m 3rd year Team Option), re-sign JaMychal Green with Room Exception, re-sign Zubac

Plan D (get no one):
Clipper fanbase collectively cries and stops bothering to follow the Clippers since even in this ideal scenario they cant sign any top tier FAs.

Plan C's roster is intriguing

C - Valanciunus, Zubac
PF- Gallo, Harrell
SF- Kawhi, Green
SG- Shamet, Lou WIll, JRobinson
PG- SEGA, PatBev

Lots of players on tradeable deals, which could be thrown together in a mid season deadline deal, while also having the PHI/MIA FRPs in the trade warchest.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#1065 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:56 pm

LOL at Plan D :lol:

Your Plan C is basically my plan A. ;) I am sure they will explore sign-and-trades, a lot of moving pieces going on there but obviously things have to be lined up for them to actually pull the trigger. I think having West on board means we will continue to look for positive value in trades, even if a superstar is involved. It will be interesting to see if the FO feels any sort of pressure to make a big leap this offseason (i.e. what do they do if it looks like KD and KL are going elsewhere.)

It wouldn't be surprising for the FO to totally surprise us (again) with another franchise swinging trade...
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#1066 » by Joest2003 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:31 pm

This team plays with heart. Love watching the Clippers this year. My wishful thinking would be for you guys to pick up Kawhi and Kemba this offseason. I dont see KD staying with Warriors and that move would put Clips as the finals favorites in my opinion. Make it happen Balmer!
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#1067 » by nabbs » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:26 pm

I come in peace.

Just curious.... take California, Kawhi's home, warm weather all out of the equation. Let's look at situation, path to a title, quality of personnel, organizational culture. Pitch me why the Clippers, instead of Toronto is far and away the best place for Kawhi to go?

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
janmagn
Starter
And1: 341

Post#1068 » by janmagn » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:32 pm

nabbs wrote:I come in peace.

Just curious.... take California, Kawhi's home, warm weather all out of the equation. Let's look at situation, path to a title, quality of personnel, organizational culture. Pitch me why the Clippers, instead of Toronto is far and away the best place for Kawhi to go?
The Clippers have:
- cap space to get help to Kawhi
- great role players who have shown they can be contributers in great teams
- young up and coming guys who have shown takeover ability

Why not the Raptors:
- that's the team they'll have, not much room to improve
- Kyle Lowry keeps melting as spring comes
- no chance to get another star

Lähetetty minun LG-M250 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#1069 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:57 pm

He has a ton of reason to stay in Toronto and a smart front office there to build around him. One that finds productive players in the 20s of the 1st round (Anunoby when healthy and Siakam).

It’s actually scary to me how much incentive he has to stay. Change the Raptors name to a glory franchise and I don’t think people would say the same.

But why the Clippers?
Top rate FO.
Better coach.
Deepest pockets in basketball who will spare no expense to help you win.

Oh and Pat Bev is our vocal leader....so you can lead by example the way you want to.

Further....the assets we have in store. We’re flexible and we have options to trade, draft whether we are capped out or not. The front office has ensured this is not another Lob City who, when capped out, and not good enough to win, doesntbhave ways to get better. No. We have several.

Come get this ring.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#1070 » by MartinToVaught » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 pm

To be honest, I'm not putting all my eggs in the Kawhi basket. Regardless of what the media says, I have a hard time believing he'd walk away from a Finals team after one year if Toronto gets that far. After the way he left the Spurs, that would be a bad look for his brand. On the other hand, people never thought Kawhi was going to leave the Spurs until it happened.

Overall, both teams have strong front offices. Both teams have player development. Both have young prospects on the rise (Siakam for you guys, SGA/Shamet for us). However, I'd say the major advantage the Clippers have over Toronto is the flexibility to bring in a second star without totally gutting our roster. Lowry is not exactly the most reliable star in the playoffs, and he's on the wrong side of 30. Maybe Kawhi would rather take his chances with one of the other big names on the market this summer instead.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#1071 » by Neddy » Sat May 11, 2019 9:07 pm

I think Quake just about nailed it.

but if I may add... I would stress that "because" it is his own hometown team that also happened to have those advantages Quake has already mentioned, we have a very strong case to appeal to him.
ehhhhh f it.
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#1072 » by psimanic1 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:51 am

What would it take to get Gallo back to Denver? Some 3 team trade where LAC gets not guaranteed contract, or more?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1073 » by QRich3 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:57 am

Unless they have KD and Kawhi ready to sign a contract, they're not gonna trade Gallo for capspace. And that's not gonna happen, so it'd take real value to get him.

I'd do Gallo+Philly 2020 1st for Gary Harris, or maybe Gallo for Plumlee's expiring+Juancho, but that's because I'm a Juancho stan.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#1074 » by Galloisdaman » Tue May 14, 2019 5:16 pm

This post will not be popular but I think Doc has built Lou up from a underrated player to possibly an overrrated player. Lou is a good offensive weapon but he shows very little interest in playing defense. His reputation is very high right now. Maybe higher than it should be since her really can not start with his defense. His contract is also attractive but I do not think he will play in 2021 for 1.5 mill. I'd see if a contender would want to trade something very valuable. I would not give Lou away but for the right price I would consider a move.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#1075 » by QRich3 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:14 pm

I'd definitely sell high on Lou if there was something tasty to be had for him. If it's just something meh, like a mid-to-late 1st rounder and a negative contract, I'll be happy to have him stay and enjoy the rest of his career.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#1076 » by Galloisdaman » Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 pm

QRich3 wrote:I'd definitely sell high on Lou if there was something tasty to be had for him. If it's just something meh, like a mid-to-late 1st rounder and a negative contract, I'll be happy to have him stay and enjoy the rest of his career.

Exactly the right outlook. Lou is an asset. You do not just give away assets. This team isn't great enough to do that but if a really strong offer came in you consider it. I think Doc looks at Lou almost like a designated hitter. His offense is a key asset while his defense is a negative. So Doc knows he can't start Lou or have him in the game late in defensive situations. I know Doc has his detractors but I think he has manged Lou as well as possible in the last two seasons. He maximizes Lou's offense while doing his best to minimize his defensive liability.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#1077 » by simon24 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

Galloisdaman wrote:
QRich3 wrote:I'd definitely sell high on Lou if there was something tasty to be had for him. If it's just something meh, like a mid-to-late 1st rounder and a negative contract, I'll be happy to have him stay and enjoy the rest of his career.

Exactly the right outlook. Lou is an asset. You do not just give away assets. This team isn't great enough to do that but if a really strong offer came in you consider it. I think Doc looks at Lou almost like a designated hitter. His offense is a key asset while his defense is a negative. So Doc knows he can't start Lou or have him in the game late in defensive situations. I know Doc has his detractors but I think he has manged Lou as well as possible in the last two seasons. He maximizes Lou's offense while doing his best to minimize his defensive liability.

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou gets moved this summer. This new Clippers GM seem to do a good job moving guys before it's too late. Should be able to pry a 1st. I could imagine Pat/Lou need to go anyways so JR can develop more.
Galloisdaman
Analyst

Post#1078 » by Galloisdaman » Fri May 17, 2019 1:34 pm

simon24 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if Lou gets moved this summer. This new Clippers GM seem to do a good job moving guys before it's too late. Should be able to pry a 1st. I could imagine Pat/Lou need to go anyways so JR can develop more.

I would not have said this months ago. I think Lou's disinterest in playing defense may have opened my eyes a bit. Lou is a great high volume scorer but his lack of interest in defense hurts almost as much as his offense helps in some games. I think Lou does a good job running the offense. I think he is an asset but his lack of interest in defense is concerning at times.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#1079 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:
simon24 wrote:
Galloisdaman wrote:

I would not have said this months ago. I think Lou's disinterest in playing defense may have opened my eyes a bit. Lou is a great high volume scorer but his lack of interest in defense hurts almost as much as his offense helps in some games. I think Lou does a good job running the offense. I think he is an asset but his lack of interest in defense is concerning at times.

This is where being skilled at roster construction i.e. juggling plates is a great skill to have in the FO. Knowing what Lou does well and not well, vs. both the starting unit and the main reserves. It's a great luxury to have a guy who can create makeable shots possession after possession. He is a good asset for us to either play or trade, but I guess the best choice depends on how our main offseason plans go.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#1080 » by Vae Victus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:11 am

At this point, Lou Will's greatest value to this team is being a great bench gunner when one or both of the signed superstars (Kawhi + KD *crosses fingers*) sit to get their rest OR as a trade piece + salary filler to go get that 3rd superstar like AD.

If LAC grabs both KD and Kawhi, even though LAC isnt on AD's "preferred" list, if they go and get AD, i find it incredibly unlikely that AD is gonna leave a superteam.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers