The Tyreke Evans Problem

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: The Tyreke Evans Problem 

Post#101 » by pacers33granger » Mon Apr 1, 2019 6:53 pm

Jake0890 wrote:The picture that DoubleEagle posted is one of the most damning thing I've seen about anyone on our team all season but also one of the least surprising.

Really not all that surprising given the cut off though (300 attempts). I don't think there are many non-bigs who attempt close to 5 shots a game right under the basket.

Still terrible though and I'm curious how many of them are open looks.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#102 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:43 pm

we've all been in a hurry to see him ago. I've softened. were he to do a Vic/Myles summer workout and change his body by July, I'd talk backup money. I don't expect that though.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#103 » by pacers33granger » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Wizop wrote:we've all been in a hurry to see him ago. I've softened. were he to do a Vic/Myles summer workout and change his body by July, I'd talk backup money. I don't expect that though.

If we're operating over the cap might as well bring him back and give it a shot with a year under his belt and Vic back.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#104 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:47 pm

pacers33granger wrote:If we're operating over the cap might as well bring him back and give it a shot with a year under his belt and Vic back.

particularly if we think Vic will start the year on a pitch count. I never expected to say this, but I'd take Tyreke over Wesley. but I really think he needs to slim down a bit to get more lift on those drives.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#105 » by pacers33granger » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:49 pm

Wizop wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:If we're operating over the cap might as well bring him back and give it a shot with a year under his belt and Vic back.

particularly if we think Vic will start the year on a pitch count. I never expected to say this, but I'd take Tyreke over Wesley. but I really think he needs to slim down a bit to get more lift on those drives.

Yeah and he had some issues with his jumper oftentimes too. He just didn't get enough lift anywhere on the court and everything was flat.

I doubt it, but maybe this series and year overall will give him some motivation this summer. He's almost never had a reason to play for anything until now.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 932

Post#106 » by Tom White » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
I doubt it, but maybe this series and year overall will give him some motivation this summer. He's almost never had a reason to play for anything until now.

I'll never understand how making millions of dollars per year is somehow not a motivating factor. :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Post#107 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:31 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Yeah and he had some issues with his jumper oftentimes too. He just didn't get enough lift anywhere on the court and everything was flat.

Tyreke talked a lot about his knees going and needing constant rest and treatment. In fact, before Vic’s injury he and Reke were spending a lot of time on treatment together and really getting along. I think Reke’s knees are what they are and that he’s going to be playing a more ground heavy game from here on out.

But the impression he and his brother have given is that he’s likely to move on and that he’s not been allowed to play the ball heavy PG type role that he’s accustomed to and that he’d prefer to do. Unless we were bringing him back as the dominant minutes guy in a platoon with Holiday at PG, I don’t see him returning.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#108 » by 8305 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Wizop wrote:

I would rather let young guys play than be that team that lets a player as inefficient as Tyreke enjoy heavy usage.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:32 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2019/04/22/tyreke-evans-leaves-door-open-return-indiana-pacers/3535843002/

Tyreke Evans leaves the door open that he'd consider coming back to play for the Indiana Pacers, but he'd have to be the player he was allowed to be in the last two games of their series sweep with the Boston Celtics.

"I'm looking for a good team," he said.

Also a team that'll let him play through his mistakes and be himself.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#110 » by 8305 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2019/04/22/tyreke-evans-leaves-door-open-return-indiana-pacers/3535843002/

Tyreke Evans leaves the door open that he'd consider coming back to play for the Indiana Pacers, but he'd have to be the player he was allowed to be in the last two games of their series sweep with the Boston Celtics.

"I'm looking for a good team," he said.

Also a team that'll let him play through his mistakes and be himself.

I see an inherent inconsistency with Tyreke's wish. A team wanting to be good and Tyreke playing through his mistakes?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#111 » by pacers33granger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:11 pm

As I've said, I'm open to bringing him back as we really don't have many other options for improvement if we're bringing back Thad and Bogie.

While he was good in the 4 playoff games, I'm not sure I'd want that to be a full time thing. He had a USG% of 32.9. That kind of necessitates us going away from running things through Domas off the bench. At the same time, giving him the ball and letting him run a two man game with Domas with Holiday and Doug on the wings isn't the worst idea. And if Leaf can find his stroke from deep it could be interesting.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#112 » by Jake0890 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:12 pm

I really hated Tyreke the entire regular season. But in the playoffs, with everyone around him crumbling, he seemed to be the only dude with the confidence to go out there and make shots. I wish we saw it for 96 games and not just 4, but I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back anymore.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#113 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Guess we don’t have to worry about whether or not we should try to re sign him!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 17, 2019 8:46 pm

But in all seriousness, I hope he’s ok. I hope he’s healthy. I wish him the best and I hope he’s got some money set aside. Same goes for all his family.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#115 » by Jake0890 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Yikes
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#116 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Saw elsewhere it's not PEDs and speculation that it's lean which would not be surprising.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 17, 2019 9:04 pm

pacers33granger wrote:Saw elsewhere it's not PEDs and speculation that it's lean which would not be surprising.

Based on the punishment, it’s under the “drugs of abuse” part of the CBA. What drug? Pure speculation until something comes out. Coulda been a night out and some molly or cocaine. Who knows? Not sure we have the right to know. If he wants to play again, he has to sit out two years and rest his knees and apply for reinstatement. If he calls it quits, hope it’s for the right reasons.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#118 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:Saw elsewhere it's not PEDs and speculation that it's lean which would not be surprising.

Based on the punishment, it’s under the “drugs of abuse” part of the CBA. What drug? Pure speculation until something comes out. Coulda been a night out and some molly or cocaine. Who knows? Not sure we have the right to know. If he wants to play again, he has to sit out two years and rest his knees and apply for reinstatement. If he calls it quits, hope it’s for the right reasons.
Very true just putting out what I had seen elsewhere.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 17, 2019 9:06 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Very true just putting out what I had seen elsewhere.

Oh, no worries. I didn’t mean for it to come off as dismissive of you in any way, but it kinda did. Sorry.
granger05
Bench Warmer
And1: 467

Post#120 » by granger05 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:08 pm

He'll turn 30 in September so this may be it for him in the league. Seemed like a really good signing for us last offseason (much preferred this to McD), but it just didn't work out. I hope that Tyreke is OK.

For the Pacers this probably doesn't affect anything since I suspect he wasn't a priority resign. If he were under contract for another year what would have happened? Is the contract just void or is the team still on the hook for the cap?

Return to Indiana Pacers