Welcome Zhaire Smith

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Re: Welcome Zhaire Smith 

Post#1101 » by PhillyPhilly » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:I just think he's got everything In his game to something really special. He's fast, he's nimble on his feet, he's got an incredible spring, a high defensive IQ, can finish at the rim, Is a GREAT passer already, shows signs of being able to create his own shot, is shooting the jumper very well from mid-range and the three etc. I think if he works hard In the offseason (which he most certainly will) then there is no reason why he can't replace JJ moving forward.

I'm sorry to spoil your honeymoon phase, but you should lower your expectations of Smith's offensive skill set.

He's a decent passer, he has some nice dump-off passes when he drives to the rim. However, labeling him as a great passer suggests that he can create shots for others out of the P&R for example and that's not true.
Similarly, his shooting percentages in the NBA are good (37.5% from three on just 16 attempts), but the shot looked significantly worse in the G league, where he was really reluctant to shoot and hit 20% out of 25 attempts. I'm not saying that he won't shoot an open catch and shoot three next year, but expecting him to replace JJ (who hits the most ridiculous shots on the move) is ignorant imo.

He'll definitely offer a different skill set (more defensive mindset), but we desperately need a good shooter next to Embiid and Simmons.

Lol I knew a JJ fan would come storming in :D . Well firstly his shooting in the G-league when he first came back from injury was obviously rusty, but he improved significantly the more he played which is why his shooting for the Sixers looked very decent. Secondly replacing JJ is not just about being a great catch and shoot guy. Zhaire's defensive skills, ability to get to the rim, rebounding, assists as well as his shooting Is why I believe he could replace JJ. Obviously he's not as good as JJ from three yet, but we need an SG who can defend better than him next season imo and Zhaire could be the man.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,367

Post#1102 » by Eyeamok » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:31 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:I just think he's got everything In his game to something really special. He's fast, he's nimble on his feet, he's got an incredible spring, a high defensive IQ, can finish at the rim, Is a GREAT passer already, shows signs of being able to create his own shot, is shooting the jumper very well from mid-range and the three etc. I think if he works hard In the offseason (which he most certainly will) then there is no reason why he can't replace JJ moving forward.

I'm sorry to spoil your honeymoon phase, but you should lower your expectations of Smith's offensive skill set.

He's a decent passer, he has some nice dump-off passes when he drives to the rim. However, labeling him as a great passer suggests that he can create shots for others out of the P&R for example and that's not true.
Similarly, his shooting percentages in the NBA are good (37.5% from three on just 16 attempts), but the shot looked significantly worse in the G league, where he was really reluctant to shoot and hit 20% out of 25 attempts. I'm not saying that he won't shoot an open catch and shoot three next year, but expecting him to replace JJ (who hits the most ridiculous shots on the move) is ignorant imo.

He'll definitely offer a different skill set (more defensive mindset), but we desperately need a good shooter next to Embiid and Simmons.

Lol I knew a JJ fan would come storming in :D . Well firstly his shooting in the G-league when he first came back from injury was obviously rusty, but he improved significantly the more he played which is why his shooting for the Sixers looked very decent. Secondly replacing JJ is not just about being a great catch and shoot guy. Zhaire's defensive skills, ability to get to the rim, rebounding, assists as well as his shooting Is why I believe he could replace JJ. Obviously he's not as good as JJ from three yet, but we need an SG who can defend better than him next season imo and Zhaire could be the man.

I just hope PhillyPhilly is right. JJ would be wonderful coming off the bench and having another young piece, that can actually contribute with our core would be amazing.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#1103 » by Kolkmania » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:38 pm

PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Haha I'm not a Redick fan, I hope we don't resign him tbh. That said, he needs to be replaced with someone who can shoot as well. When you have a unit with Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons (and Jimmy Butler), you desperately need two/three guys around them who are willing and capable shooters imo.

It's not just the small sample size of his G-League attempts. Smith has never been a shooter, in fact he was deployed as a center in high school and his 3PAr was really low at Texas Tech.
I think you're underestimating the difference between him and Redick as floor spacers. There's a massive gap between someone who needs half a second to pull the trigger and someone who shoots as often as Amir Johnson.

There's the (small) possibility that he develops a solid jump shot over the summer and becomes a solid fit next to Simmons and Embiid. That would be the udeal scenario, but I wouldn't bet on it and certainly not count on it when we're targeting FA's for next year.
APettyJ
Junior
And1: 221

Post#1104 » by APettyJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:05 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
PhillyPhilly wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:

Haha I'm not a Redick fan, I hope we don't resign him tbh. That said, he needs to be replaced with someone who can shoot as well. When you have a unit with Joel Embiid, Ben Simmons (and Jimmy Butler), you desperately need two/three guys around them who are willing and capable shooters imo.

It's not just the small sample size of his G-League attempts. Smith has never been a shooter, in fact he was deployed as a center in high school and his 3PAr was really low at Texas Tech.
I think you're underestimating the difference between him and Redick as floor spacers. There's a massive gap between someone who needs half a second to pull the trigger and someone who shoots as often as Amir Johnson.

There's the (small) possibility that he develops a solid jump shot over the summer and becomes a solid fit next to Simmons and Embiid. That would be the udeal scenario, but I wouldn't bet on it and certainly not count on it when we're targeting FA's for next year.
Actually, it has been mentioned a couple times that one good thing about Zhaire is he has not been particularly hesitant about stepping into a three point shot since he has been up with the 76ers, because it points to the possibility that he can be a fit on the starting lineup. He's not close to being an offensive threat, let alone be as effective in floor spacing as Redick, but he has been moving upward in his time here.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#1105 » by rzzzzz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:24 pm

was i the only one concerned last night when we brought in the scrubs and the Nets started pumping in 3s left and right. Toronto has got a strong bench. i'm sorry, but i still think we should be putting Zhaire out there on the perimeter, especially when our fab 4 are sitting.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,355

Post#1106 » by Hipster Doofus » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:47 pm

I need to see this man play in the post-season.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Post#1107 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:00 pm

rzzzzz wrote:was i the only one concerned last night when we brought in the scrubs and the Nets started pumping in 3s left and right. Toronto has got a strong bench. i'm sorry, but i still think we should be putting Zhaire out there on the perimeter, especially when our fab 4 are sitting.

That was cruise control dont get injured mode.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
PhillyPhilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 522

Post#1108 » by PhillyPhilly » Sat May 25, 2019 2:15 am

It's gonna be a big offseason for Zhaire now. His defensive skills are well known and imo he could be a generational defensive talent in the future. His offensive game also seemed to improve as the season progressed and he was hitting threes, getting assists, finishing at the rim and also hit some jumpers off the dribble. He intends to play In the Summer League so that should show us where his game is at. IF he tears that up and then shows his class in the pre-season games then I think he'll have a great chance to be a starter. Zhaire and Ben's defense in the backcourt could be something legendary IF they both develop the right way.
phillybird
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#1109 » by phillybird » Tue May 28, 2019 6:55 pm

What's everyone's thoughts on Zhaire's ceiling? Is it something like an Avery Bradley with hopefully better team defense?
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#1110 » by phillynative » Wed May 29, 2019 1:56 am

phillybird wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on Zhaire's ceiling? Is it something like an Avery Bradley with hopefully better team defense?

shannon brown / avery bradley
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1111 » by PhilasFinest » Wed May 29, 2019 2:34 am

I still have high hopes for Zhaire.

Despite all he went through last year, he still flashed some good things in limited time. I think with a good offseason to continue developing his offensive game and getting his body back on track, he could really be a valuable contributor for us off the bench.

SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
TFK
Junior
And1: 226

Post#1112 » by TFK » Wed May 29, 2019 7:16 pm

phillybird wrote:What's everyone's thoughts on Zhaire's ceiling? Is it something like an Avery Bradley with hopefully better team defense?

I wouldn’t call it his ceiling, but he’s always struck me as being in the same mold as the old Milwaukee Buck, Darvin Ham. I say that, yet for the life of me couldn’t tell you if Ham was even a plus defender or not
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#1113 » by youngcrev » Wed May 29, 2019 8:59 pm

[quote="TFK"][quote="phillybird"]What's everyone's thoughts on Zhaire's ceiling? Is it something like an Avery Bradley with hopefully better team defense?[/quote]
I wouldn’t call it his ceiling, but he’s always struck me as being in the same mold as the old Milwaukee Buck, Darvin Ham. I say that, yet for the life of me couldn’t tell you if Ham was even a plus defender or not[/quote]

Ham Slamwich? That's pretty much all I remember about him, his nickname.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1114 » by PhilasFinest » Wed May 29, 2019 10:29 pm

TFK wrote:

I wouldn’t call it his ceiling, but he’s always struck me as being in the same mold as the old Milwaukee Buck, Darvin Ham. I say that, yet for the life of me couldn’t tell you if Ham was even a plus defender or not

Darvin Ham? Is that serious?

Zhaire made more 3 pointers in 6 games (6 at .375%) than Ham did in his entire 8 year NBA career (4).
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#1115 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed May 29, 2019 10:33 pm

Darvin Ham...WTF?
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#1116 » by ankle420breaker » Thu May 30, 2019 12:34 pm

I've always thought Avery Bradley is the most realistic comp for Zhaire. Nothing wrong with that... a young Avery Bradley makes this team better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
mattd13
Senior
And1: 119

Post#1117 » by mattd13 » Thu May 30, 2019 1:00 pm

i hope smith is the next coming of ray allen however we really know very little about him. the only thing i think we know is that he is a hard worker. hopefully that will equate to something positive. to early to tell at this point. some are crazy to replace jj, and at some point that will happen, but it has to be the right guy who is proven to be an upgrade. not some one we only hope is better.
tsmith
Sixth Man
And1: 908

Post#1118 » by tsmith » Thu May 30, 2019 1:06 pm

mattd13 wrote:i hope smith is the next coming of ray allen however we really know very little about him. the only thing i think we know is that he is a hard worker. hopefully that will equate to something positive. to early to tell at this point. some are crazy to replace jj, and at some point that will happen, but it has to be the right guy who is proven to be an upgrade. not some one we only hope is better.

Ray Allen is a top five shooter of all time, Zhaire is known as an average shooter at the very best. Terrible comp.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,681

Post#1119 » by phillynative » Fri May 31, 2019 1:00 pm

Anyone remember Fred Jones circa 2003..
Short SG who played like a wing explosive athlete, long wingspan solid defender. Wasnt a great shooter or ballhandler...
mattd13
Senior
And1: 119

Post#1120 » by mattd13 » Fri May 31, 2019 1:08 pm

i was not comparing him to anyone. i was making the point that we know very little about him or what he could be. he seems like a great young man and i hope he works out.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers