The third time's the charm - First Round Series vs Portland

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 815

Re: The third time's the charm - First Round Series vs Portland 

Post#761 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:02 am

Antinomy wrote:I would’ve atleast sent a hard double at Lillard around the 5 second mark & let someone else beat me.

I and many other said the exact same thing.

I watched his Donovan's press conference and he tried to use the excuse that Lillard was out near mid-court so they didn't anticipate a shot from that range. I'm like MFer, have you not been paying attention during the series? Lillard hit several shots shots near the logo during the series and a few tonight.

It was basically gross incompetence by Donovan and the Thunder's part for not trapping Lillard hard and forcing someone else to beat you. As hot as he was, it's inexcusable to allow him to take the last shot.

But that's been the calling card for this OKC team. We've been saying for years that they are poorly coached and have low basketball IQ's.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,151

Post#762 » by Revived » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:08 am

Read on Twitter

Kanter, the ultimate troll....
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#763 » by Sinobas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:16 am

Honestly, how many of you Thunder fans were glad you drew Portland in the 1st, with injured Nurk? There was talk that the Thunder wanted Portland in the 1st round.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,151

Post#764 » by Revived » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:20 am

Andre Roberstan wrote:Dame just took a leak on Russ's grave.

This is why all that crap of "I own that ass" that Russ was saying to Dame was always pointless. It wasn't going to help in any way and if anything it gave Lillard additional motivation.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#765 » by Thunder Up » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:31 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Definitely can play Kanter when the opposing coach treats him like he’s prime Ben Wallace
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,777

Post#766 » by QPR » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:32 am

Running the PnR more would rely on having a point guard who was disciplined enough to play within a strategy and not play with his ego against Lillard, and a coach who was strong enough to enforce it.

OKC's entire offense is structured around whether Westbrook wants to play a team game or one-up his opponent.
Thunder Up
Senior
And1: 197

Post#767 » by Thunder Up » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:32 am

Sinobas wrote:Honestly, how many of you Thunder fans were glad you drew Portland in the 1st, with injured Nurk? There was talk that the Thunder wanted Portland in the 1st round.

Everyone. That was an easy matchup to handle if Russ was decently efficient and the gameplan centered on exposing the terrible Blazers PnR defense —— which obviously they didn’t attempt to do for.... reasons

Spurs/Nuggets in 5
Anderson Silva
Ballboy
And1: 20

Post#768 » by Anderson Silva » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:59 am

I still say this thread title jinxed us.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#769 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:21 am

We outplayed them on both sides of the court and lost. Why?

Portland wins points off turnovers by 9
Portland wins 2nd chance points by 7
Portland wins points in the paint by 6
Your turn my turn in the last 5 minutes of the game

**** this.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#770 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:22 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

Whoever they face next, he's going to be riding the bench all series long because those guys won't be too stupid to play him off the floor. He's still the same kind of scrub he always was.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#771 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:26 am

Russell Westbrook USG%: 36.3
Russell Westbrook TS%: 44.9
Rest of the team TS%: 70.5
Mick75
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#772 » by Mick75 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:44 am

Respect to Portland and Dame! Great game, good luck for the next round.

That beeing said: FIRE BILLY FING DONOVAN!

And I hate to admit it but Russ has a terribly low basketball IQ. Dame owns him...
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#773 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:38 am

George called it a “bad shot”. This team is beyond stupid.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
loveandbeer
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,275

Post#774 » by loveandbeer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 am

Completely destroyed by Dame my goodness. That is embarrassing as ****. POR playing without their third best player and starting a guy we threw away is just icing on the cake.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#775 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:17 am

ThunderBolt wrote:George called it a “bad shot”. This team is beyond stupid.

Of course it's a bad shot. That is a horrible shot. From 30 feet or more, Lillard is a career 41/157 shooter, making 26.1 % of them. Even this season he's made 30.6 %. If that is the shot he wants to take, you guard him and let him shoot it all day long.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#776 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:18 am

Pillendreher wrote:

Of course it's a bad shot. That is a horrible shot. From 30 feet or more, Lillard is a career 41/157 shooter, making 26.1 % of them. Even this season he's made 30.6 %. If that is the shot he wants to take, you guard him and let him shoot it all day long.

George needs to worry about the bad shots this team takes. Dame is one of the best shooters in the league. It’s a tough shot but not out of his range. I think I read that dame was 8-12 beyond 30 feet for the series. I’m sick of excuses.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#777 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:38 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

George needs to worry about the bad shots this team takes. Dame is one of the best shooters in the league. It’s a tough shot but not out of his range. I think I read that dame was 8-12 beyond 30 feet for the series. I’m sick of excuses.

What's the excuse? It is most certainly a shoot the Thunder can live with. Well defended, way out there. Sure, he hit them this series. Next series he could go 2/15 and nobody wold bother realizing that volatility is part of the game. Those are horrible, horrible shots for every single guy in the league, including Curry and Lillard. Just because they make one or two from time to time doesn't mean those are not horrible shots.

George is factually correct here. That doesn't mean that one could use this as an excuse for getting eliminated by this squad. It's an embarassing failure and one shot does not change that. From what I've read George isn't trying to pin the loss on that shot though. Lillard may find this funny, but that just goes to show that he's just as much of an overconfident fool as Westbrook.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#778 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am

Pillendreher wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

What's the excuse? It is most certainly a shoot the Thunder can live with. Well defended, way out there. Sure, he hit them this series. Next series he could go 2/15 and nobody wold bother realizing that volatility is part of the game. Those are horrible, horrible shots for every single guy in the league, including Curry and Lillard. Just because they make one or two from time to time doesn't mean those are not horrible shots.

George is factually correct here. That doesn't mean that one could use this as an excuse for getting eliminated by this squad. It's an embarassing failure and one shot does not change that. From what I've read George isn't trying to pin the loss on that shot though. Lillard may find this funny, but that just goes to show that he's just as much of an overconfident fool as Westbrook.

It just sounds like he’s being a complainer to me. This team has played the victim card all year with complaining to officials. Yes it’s a much tougher shot than a wide open layup. George isn’t wrong, I agree. I think his exact quote was “that’s a bad, bad shot”. There is a difference in saying it’s a tough shot as opposed to a bad shot. Maybe I’m splitting hairs here but I’m sick of this team’s attitude and arrogance. If you don’t want Lillard to hit “bad, bad” shots then maybe his buddy shouldn’t have trolled him relentlessly since last years all star game.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,023

Post#779 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:45 am

too much focus on the game winner. that's just randomness, and the risk associated with getting into one possession games. more focus should be on what got the thunder to that point. on westbrook 29 points on 31 shots + 4Q ball dominance. on lillard completely destroying him this series. on dropping that game at home, etc.

thunder lost turnovers and lost offensive rebounds over the course of the series, and we had to dominate at least one of those. 46.6% ts on the series for russ on a team leading 31.7% usage.
sleestak33
Junior
And1: 150

Post#780 » by sleestak33 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:56 am

Revived wrote:
Read on Twitter

I love it and it was completely untrue that Kanter was unplayable here in OKC. He should have been starting and playing 35 minutes per game. Kanter (13 pts. 10 rbds) outplayed Adams (12/7)all series and proved he's perfectly capable of starting and playing in a playoff series. Too bad our coach couldn't see it.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder