The third time's the charm - First Round Series vs Portland

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Re: The third time's the charm - First Round Series vs Portland 

Post#781 » by CROklahoma » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:59 am

This Kanter post is a fatality for all our advanced analytic guys who post 1000 stats a year, then he comes in a series or two and pisses all over those statistics and shuts them down.
sleestak33
Junior
And1: 150

Post#782 » by sleestak33 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:00 am

Sam Presti's bizarre insistence on this ridiculous attempt to come up with a starting shooting guard that completely sucks on offense but is good on defense continues to be a complete disaster. Ferguson was outscored in this game 17-3 by McCollum and 122-23 for the series. You can talk about the other issues OKC has but at the end of the day Ferguson put the Thunder in such a large hole every game with this colossal mismatch that they simply couldn't overcome it. Not one other team in the NBA or in NBA history seems to think that Presti's idea holds much merit as no other teams seem to have much trouble finding starting shooting guards that can shoot and score. I'm sure we'll watch Ferguson start again next year though and another first round exit.
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#783 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:02 am

slick_watts wrote:46.6% ts on the series for russ on a team leading 31.7% usage.

Russ USG%: 31.7
Russ TS%: 46.6
Rest of the team TS%: 56.7

This is just one of many factors, but it's still a massive factor nonetheless. And then there's this: He was more efficient going up against the best defense in the league last postseason than going up against this squad, which 538 ranks as the 2nd worst defesive team among all Playoff teams with Nurkic out.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#784 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:03 am

CROklahoma wrote:This Kanter post is a fatality for all our advanced analytic guys who post 1000 stats a year, then he comes in a series or two and pisses all over those statistics and shuts them down.

You're just embarassing yourself with this. Kanter is going to get absolutely destroyed next round, no matter which team advances. He won't even know what hit him.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#785 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:04 am

Pillendreher wrote:
slick_watts wrote:46.6% ts on the series for russ on a team leading 31.7% usage.

This is just one of many factors, but it's still a massive factor nonetheless. And then there's this: He was more efficient going up against the best defense in the league last postseason than going up against this squad, which 538 ranks as the 2nd worst defesive team among all Playoff teams with Nurkic out.

sure. just like the regular season as a whole. westbrook was a huge factor individually re: the offense being mediocre. not the only one, but the biggest singular one. and that's probably true of this series as well.

he's in decline + the league is passing his skill-set by. he desperately needs to fix his jump shooting.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#786 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:05 am

slick_watts wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

sure. just like the regular season as a whole. westbrook was a huge factor individually re: the offense being mediocre. not the only one, but the biggest singular one. and that's probably true of this series as well.

he's in decline + the league is passing his skill-set by. he desperately needs to fix his jump shooting.

He was also looking to pass initially and gradually started to look for his shot as the game went by. :cry:
CROklahoma
Junior
And1: 130

Post#787 » by CROklahoma » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:07 am

Pillendreher wrote:
CROklahoma wrote:This Kanter post is a fatality for all our advanced analytic guys who post 1000 stats a year, then he comes in a series or two and pisses all over those statistics and shuts them down.

You're just embarassing yourself with this. Kanter is going to get absolutely destroyed next round, no matter which team advances. He won't even know what hit him.

Only ones who are embarassed here are you posting all those stats which were **** on and flushed, me, and our organization.
Kanter has his second big victim.
His scalps are Gregg Popovich, and mastermind Billy.

:lol:
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#788 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 am

CROklahoma wrote:
Pillendreher wrote:

Only ones who are embarassed here are you posting all those stats which were **** on and flushed, me, and our organization.
Kanter has his second big victim.
His scalps are Gregg Popovich, and mastermind Billy.

:lol:

Back to ignore you go.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#789 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:28 am

1bigfan13 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Guys, they already picked up Dono's option. He's back next year. It has already been decided. Quit torturing yourselves.

That means nothing. Coaches get fired all the time with years remaining on their contract.

IIRC, that option was picked up around January when OKC was playing well. A lot has changed since then. I think at this point even Presti has to concede that Billy Donovan isn't a good fit.
It would be the most un-Presti thing ever to do that after making the commitment earlier in the year.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#790 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 am

Old Man Game wrote:
1bigfan13 wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Guys, they already picked up Dono's option. He's back next year. It has already been decided. Quit torturing yourselves.

That means nothing. Coaches get fired all the time with years remaining on their contract.

IIRC, that option was picked up around January when OKC was playing well. A lot has changed since then. I think at this point even Presti has to concede that Billy Donovan isn't a good fit.
It would be the most un-Presti thing ever to do that after making the commitment earlier in the year.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app

There need to be pressure from the ownership. Presti's sunk cost bull needs to stop. We've suffered enough.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,026

Post#791 » by slick_watts » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am

sam presti for sure will roll over on billy donovan if the opportunity presents itself and it's required to keep his hands clean.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#792 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 am

slick_watts wrote:sam presti for sure will roll over on billy donovan if the opportunity presents itself and it's required to keep his hands clean.

Of course he'd do it to save himself. But I don't think we're quite to that point yet. If anything firing him now would make him look even worse. The storyline would be, 'wait, so you extend him and then fire him 3 months later?'
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,077

Post#793 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:10 pm

Respect to LIllard, CJ and all blazers players and staff but Nurkic can go **** himself

He's a dirty player and an all time flopper that never won a playoff game.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,188

Post#794 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I have a hard time being upset at any retaliation or trolling from Portland after this series.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#795 » by Sinobas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm

Pillendreher wrote:We outplayed them on both sides of the court and lost. Why?

Portland wins points off turnovers by 9
Portland wins 2nd chance points by 7
Portland wins points in the paint by 6
Your turn my turn in the last 5 minutes of the game

**** this.

You didn't really though. If there were a magic wand that would have made the officiating equal, Portland would have won by 10+ easily. You did play your best game of the series though.
Sinobas
Analyst
And1: 497

Post#796 » by Sinobas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:Respect to LIllard, CJ and all blazers players and staff but Nurkic can go **** himself

He's a dirty player and an all time flopper that never won a playoff game.

He was +13 with 0 minutes played tonight, that's pretty good.
Pillendreher
RealGM

Post#797 » by Pillendreher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:30 pm

Sinobas wrote:

**** this.

You didn't really though. If there were a magic wand that would have made the officiating equal, Portland would have won by 10+ easily. You did play your best game of the series though.

You must have taken a wrong turn. Let me give you directions:

viewforum.php?f=28
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#798 » by Andre Roberstan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:41 pm

Pillendreher wrote:
Sinobas wrote:

**** this.

You must have taken a wrong turn. Let me give you directions:

viewforum.php?f=28

Sinobas, maybe...don't come in the forum of the team that just lost and kick them while they're down?

I'm fine with you being here but don't push it too hard.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#799 » by Bergmaniac » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Westbrook started it so well passing the ball and not getting baited into bad shots, then decided "Screw it, I am chucking". So annoying. Then OKC almost turned it around by hustling on D and less bad shots but then threw it away late by taking terrible shots and not running any actual offense.

George should go to Westbrook and tell him "Look, man, your shot is broken, either fix it in the summer or cut down your shot attempts by a lot". He shot 31.5% on jumpshots this season, this is just dreadful stuff. Westbrook still can be a plus player even if his shots remain this bad by focusing on playmaking and cutting down on the dumb shots, but who knows if his ego would allow him, he seems too invested in the whole one-upping by outscoring your opponent BS attitude. You are not Lillard or Curry or even a decent jump shooter anymore, so stop shooting so many jumpers.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#800 » by 1bigfan13 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:Westbrook started it so well passing the ball and not getting baited into bad shots, then decided "Screw it, I am chucking". So annoying. Then OKC almost turned it around by hustling on D and less bad shots but then threw it away late by taking terrible shots and not running any actual offense.

George should go to Westbrook and tell him "Look, man, your shot is broken, either fix it in the summer or cut down your shot attempts by a lot". He shot 31.5% on jumpshots this season, this is just dreadful stuff. Westbrook still can be a plus player even if his shots remain this bad by focusing on playmaking and cutting down on the dumb shots, but who knows if his ego would allow him, he seems too invested in the whole one-upping by outscoring your opponent BS attitude. You are not Lillard or Curry or even a decent jump shooter anymore, so stop shooting so many jumpers.

And this will forever be his problem. It's why I gave him the middle finger through my TV during his press conference when he said the first thing he does after losses is look at himself and examine what he could have done better.

He ALWAYS says that then he'll make adjustments for a game or two but will then revert right back to his bad habits. He simply can't help himself. OKC has to find a no nonsense my-way-or-the-highway coach he will really force Westbrook to play within a team oriented system. Someone not afraid to pull his ass off the floor when he deviates into on one of his 1 on 1 battles where he barrels upcourt at 100 MPH throwing up wild shots.

Also, it would be nice if he eliminated the pointless frustration fouls from his game. They only hurt the team. No good comes of him picking up cheap fouls which ultimately put the Thunder in the bonus sooner and often times are a reason why RW himself has to sit in the 4th QTR due to foul trouble. But he doesn't think that way. That would require him to understand the concepts of efficiency which he clearly can't comprehend.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder