And1: 8,942

2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1 » by ducler » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:29 pm

2019-20 Cap Maximum: 109 millions USD
2019-20 Luxury Tax Threshold: 132 millions USD

Current Pistons Payroll (GR3 excluded): 110,562,992 USD

Current Pistons roster:
- C: Andre Drummond (27,0M)
- PF: Blake Griffin (34,2M) / Thon Maker (5,2M) / Jon Leuer (9,5M)
- SF: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (1,4M)
- SG: Luke Kennard (3,8M) / Bruce Brown (1,4M) / Langston Galloway (7,3M) / Khyri Thomas (1,4M)
- PG: Reggie Jackson (18,1M)

Bonus: last year of Josh Smith on Pistons Payroll! (5,3M)

Needs:
1. Starting SF
2. Starting PG
3. Bench depth

Assets:
- Expirings: a potential total of 43,7M
- Young players: Kennard, Brown, Thomas
- Draft picks

What can Pistons do to improve themselves by next season?
Draft? Free agency? Trades?

Let's talk.
Shady_
Junior
And1: 521

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#2 » by Shady_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:47 pm

ducler wrote:- C: Andre Drummond (27,0M)
- Jon Leuer (9,5M)
- Langston Galloway (7,3M)

Let's talk.

ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#3 » by ducler » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Shady_ wrote:
- Jon Leuer (9,5M)

Let's talk.

You forgot Galloway I believe :)
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#4 » by El Chivo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm

Internal improvements, solid drafting and keep flexibility. No panic trades, don't ever trade 1st rounder and hope we'll be done throwing 3/4 year contracts to role players.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Shady_
Junior

Post#5 » by Shady_ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:08 pm

ducler wrote:
Shady_ wrote:
- Jon Leuer (9,5M)

Let's talk.

You forgot Galloway I believe :)

You are correct. fixed it
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#6 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:26 pm

This is my plan that most will probably hate:

Draft: Kevin porter JR.

Trade:
Detroit OuT: Reggie, Langston, Leur
Detroit in: Wiggins, Fultz

Orlando out: Mozgov, Fultz
Orlando In: Reggie, Leur

Minnesota out: Wiggins
Minnesota in: mozgov, Galloway

Sign Hezonja
Sign McGee

Blake becomes our point until Porter/Fultz develops

Lineup is:

Luke//Fultz/Porter
Brown/Porter/Rio
Wiggins/Rio
Blake/Thon
Dre/McGee

We take a gamble and hope a change of scenery does Wiggins and Fultz well. Take a gamble and hope Porter is this year’s Kawahi/Giannis/Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#7 » by DetroitPistons » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:55 pm

I've been a proponent of packaging our assets for a star perimeter player. Examples would include Beal, Holiday, and more recently George and Westbrook but we don't know for sure. Kennard is a pretty good prospect and I think on the verge of breaking out. We have Blake for the next few years so if we decide to win now I'm okay trading first rounders during that time period. I think a package centered around Kennard, 2 FRPs, and expirings is a pretty good package to bring home a star player. If push came to shove to get a Beal type player (who btw is young enough for a rebuild for all the people shouting rebuild) I would be willing to offer something like this:

Kennard, Brown, #15, 2020 FRP, 2022 FRP, Leuer, Galloway for Beal

People are wrongfully hating on Jackson. He has been excellent the second half of the season and people are just using him as another scapegoat. I think if we can keep him while bringing in another star that would be huge. We also have the MLE to get a starting level SF and some targets would include Marcus Morris, Rudy Gay, Aminu, Ariza, Wes Matthews, Marvin Williams, Bullock, Jabari Parker, and Jeff Green. My top choice would be Morris although I think he might want to stay with BOS and my second choice would be Parker because I like his potential, size, and improved shooting. I would be more than happy giving Parker a 2 year MLE deal.

I also see people hating on Smith lately, which again is just mind blowing. I swear, this board has the shortest memory ever. He didn't have a good first round but has been fantastic all season. We should resign him to about 6mil per year. We can also hope that Ellington takes the vet min considering that we can guarantee him a spot in the rotation and he has strong ties to DET. Back up center is still an issue but I'm sure we can find someone for the vet min even if it's a Moreland level player. I'll just plug Pachulia in for now. We also need to pick up Robinson's option. He could be an expiring contract to match in trades that could bring us back the back up center we need.

Jackson/Smith/Thomas
Beal/Ellington
Parker/Robinson/Mykhailiuk
Griffin/Maker
Drummond/Pachulia

I think that is a top 4 team in the East at minimum and if Irving and Leonard leave we could be right there for top 3. Heck, if Lopez and Middleton both leave MIL may drop off too. The point is, we have assets to make big upgrades and add the players we need.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#8 » by Billl » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm

Depends what you mean by "improve." There is literally nothing that is going to take this group up to a level where they will be actually competitive next year. You might spend a bunch of money to be slightly less embarrassed in the playoffs, but that's the ceiling.

If you mean improve the team in the long run, then there are lots of small steps they can take. If we don't make any panic signings, we should have a ton of roster spots and playing time up for grabs. We just need to fill all those slots with cheap young guys looking for a chance to play a bigger role. Unless a young star just falls into our laps, don't sign any long term deals or trade away draft picks. If you manage to actually hit on a young pg, feel free to bench RJ. The only way he's ever going to have any trade value anyway is if he shows he can be a bench gunner.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#9 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:15 am

Sooooo Lowe, who is one of the most respected analysts in basketball, just went off about Westbrook having the 2nd worst contract in the league. I think we should pounce if they don't want to trade George. We may be able to trade our expirings and a pick or two to get him without giving up Kennard.

Jackson, Galloway, Leuer, #15, 2020 FRP for Westbrook

MLE to Parker. Vet min to Ellington and Pachulia (or another center). Resign Smith to 6mil per year. Pick up Robinson's option.

Westbrook/Smith/Thomas
Kennard/Ellington/Mykhailiuk
Parker/Brown/Robinson
Griffin/Maker
Drummond/Pachulia

Thoughts?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#10 » by Manocad » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:38 am

Is it a “win now” trade? Yep, hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Shady_
Junior

Post#11 » by Shady_ » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:49 am

DetroitPistons wrote:Sooooo Lowe, who is one of the most respected analysts in basketball, just went off about Westbrook having the 2nd worst contract in the league. I think we should pounce if they don't want to trade George. We may be able to trade our expirings and a pick or two to get him without giving up Kennard.

MLE to Parker. Vet min to Ellington and Pachulia (or another center). Resign Smith to 6mil per year. Pick up Robinson's option.

Westbrook/Smith/Thomas
Parker/Brown/Robinson
Griffin/Maker
Drummond/Pachulia

Thoughts?

I want no part of Westbrook, he's one of the most overrated players off all time. He's like the PG version of Dre.

He can't shoot, No IQ, Doesn't make his teammates better, **** attitude and stat pads like a mofo.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#12 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:52 am

Shady_ wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:Sooooo Lowe, who is one of the most respected analysts in basketball, just went off about Westbrook having the 2nd worst contract in the league. I think we should pounce if they don't want to trade George. We may be able to trade our expirings and a pick or two to get him without giving up Kennard.

Westbrook/Smith/Thomas
Parker/Brown/Robinson
Griffin/Maker
Drummond/Pachulia

Thoughts?

I want no part of Westbrook, he's one of the most overrated players off all time. He's like the PG version of Dre.

He can't shoot, No IQ, Doesn't make his teammates better, **** attitude and stat pads like a mofo.

Fair enough. I get his criticisms but he is a well-deserved MVP who did indeed make his teammates better and played his heart out. This was easily his worst year because his jumper fell off. I think he will be working all offseason on that. He isn't perfect but he is still an elite player. Westbrook and Griffin are two of the hardest working hard-nosed players in the league. It would help having those two to get the rest to play hard every night.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#13 » by Manocad » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:00 am

Billl wrote:Depends what you mean by "improve." There is literally nothing that is going to take this group up to a level where they will be actually competitive next year. You might spend a bunch of money to be slightly less embarrassed in the playoffs, but that's the ceiling.

If you mean improve the team in the long run, then there are lots of small steps they can take. If we don't make any panic signings, we should have a ton of roster spots and playing time up for grabs. We just need to fill all those slots with cheap young guys looking for a chance to play a bigger role. Unless a young star just falls into our laps, don't sign any long term deals or trade away draft picks. If you manage to actually hit on a young pg, feel free to bench RJ. The only way he's ever going to have any trade value anyway is if he shows he can be a bench gunner.

100% on board this train
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#14 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:07 am

There isnt much this team will be able to do this offseason, but I expect the summer of 2020 for an offseason of major changes and flexability.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#15 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 am

Another huge benefit to acquiring Westbrook would most likely be a significant improvement for Drummond. Adams is a good player but much of his success comes from Westbrook feeding him. I think Drummond would excel if he was the beneficiary of Westbrook feeding him.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#16 » by DBC10 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:44 am

We already tried by having a Poorman's Westbrook in Reggie Jackson, no want for Westbrook who is already on the athletic decline with a John Wall level of bad contract. He's one knee injury away from being neck and neck with the worst contract ever.

Triple doubles don't mean anything when the entire team boxes out for you and you shoot your team out by going 11 for 30 while the rest of your team went to shoot 60%. Which is exactly what happened last night in Portland.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#17 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:31 am

Okc will never trade Russ. He has his own day
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#18 » by King Bugs » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:10 am

ducler wrote:Needs:
1. Starting SF
2. Starting PG
3. Bench depth

Are we sure we don't need a starting SG as well?

-Ellington is likely gone
-Brown was the worst starter in the NBA
-Luke isn't really trusted (or liked?) by Casey as a starter although a lot of fans are plugging him in at the 2 for next season.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#19 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:39 am

ducler wrote:
Current Pistons roster:
- C: Andre Drummond (27,0M)
- PF: Blake Griffin (34,2M) / Thon Maker (5,2M) / Jon Leuer (9,5M)
- SF: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (1,4M)
- SG: Luke Kennard (3,8M) / Bruce Brown (1,4M) / Langston Galloway (7,3M) / Khyri Thomas (1,4M)

Bonus: last year of Josh Smith on Pistons

So basically our entire team except for Kennard and Brown are overpaid?!?

We have a guy who is not even on the roster who is STILL being overpaid.

Someone put this on the GB and ask if any other team can top how awful our contracts are.

In other news: man Blake was a star this year and to me at least its still a terrible idea to pay him 35 million.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#20 » by vege » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:39 am

Well, I'd revisit the Conley trade at the draft day.

Reggie Jackson, Jon Leuer, #15 and Svi for Conley.

I'd trade Galloway to Phoenix for Josh Jackson (we lack size and athleticism)

Let GRIII go

Sign Dragan Bender for the LLE (can't go wrong with 2 young 7 footers who can shoot 3s right?)

Sign Trevor Ariza for the MLE

Resign Ish

Drummond / Maker
Blake / Bender / vet min
Ariza / Jackson / vet min
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Conley / Smith / vet min (not calderon please)

Plenty of young players with upside, and the team is competitive. Blake and Josh Jackson should help Gores sell some tickets and that team would make the playoffs with a chance to make the 2nd round if they stay health.

Return to Detroit Pistons