ImageImageImageImage

The Future is bright

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Re: The Future is bright 

Post#61 » by MoMM » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Max Power wrote:if Fultz becomes a reliable bench piece in year 1 with us that’s a win. A 10ppg 4apg season from Fultz would make me very happy.

Considering that Fultz averages 8/3/3 in 20mpg in his short career (33 games), I'd say that getting that kind of production is just a matter of playing or not, IMO.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#62 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:50 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
JordanBPeterson wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I respect opinion, in same time you guys have to worry about your own team.
Leonard will leave Raptors for Clippers or Lakers and you will be stuck paying Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol, Powell and Vleet $98 M
Oh believe me I am worried - maybe you have some suggestions?

Its very possible that after this post-season Raps are in a worse situation than Magic. I fully acknowledge that.

If Leonard leaves try to bribe Gasol to opt out of player's option :lol:

You guys really didn't need to keep Ibaka on that salary.
As for Brogdon, i don't mind him, but in age context, he is just year -year and half younger than Ross. ( 21 months difference i think ).
He was just super old rookie so people forget that he is turning 27 soon.

He's is a better shooter and can play PG.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#63 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:11 pm

MoMM wrote:
Max Power wrote:if Fultz becomes a reliable bench piece in year 1 with us that’s a win. A 10ppg 4apg season from Fultz would make me very happy.

Considering that Fultz averages 8/3/3 in 20mpg in his short career (33 games), I'd say that getting that kind of production is just a matter of playing or not, IMO.

Absolutely. And that was on a stacked roster. He will have a full green light to dominate the ball here in Orlando ... at least until we develop our talent.

10 ppg and 4 apg is setting the bar low.

I want 15 ppg, 5 reb and 7 ast.

It will surely come in through volume rather than efficiency but it will come if he stays healthy and that is a start.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#64 » by Max Power » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:16 pm

You guys think that’s a low bar for Fultz? Well I hope his play is atthe level you guys think it’ll be. I’m just trying to temper my expectations a bit. If he’s a 15/5/7 guy I’d be ecstatic. I’m hoping he turns into that and more. Adding a contributor of that level makes the team that much better long term.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#65 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm

Max Power wrote:You guys think that’s a low bar for Fultz? Well I hope his play is atthe level you guys think it’ll be. I’m just trying to temper my expectations a bit. If he’s a 15/5/7 guy I’d be ecstatic. I’m hoping he turns into that and more. Adding a contributor of that level makes the team that much better long term.

It comes down to whether or not he is healthy.

If he is healthy, he will get more than 20 mpg and be the primary ball handler when on the floor ... neither of which he got in Philly while still nearly hitting your numbers.

Also, coach Cliff is fantastic at developing players. I’m excited to see what he can get out of Fultz.

We just need him to be healthy ... that is my concern.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,299

Post#66 » by NotACat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
MoMM wrote:

Absolutely. And that was on a stacked roster. He will have a full green light to dominate the ball here in Orlando ... at least until we develop our talent.

It will surely come in through volume rather than efficiency but it will come if he stays healthy and that is a start.

Wasn't he mostly playing with the 2nd unit?
Black Lives Matter
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#67 » by MagicFan101 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

NotACat wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
MoMM wrote:Considering that Fultz averages 8/3/3 in 20mpg in his short career (33 games), I'd say that getting that kind of production is just a matter of playing or not, IMO.

Wasn't he mostly playing with the 2nd unit?

Someone with more free time will have to dive into the actual rotations but in the 19 games he played this season he started 15 of them.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#68 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:36 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Max Power wrote:You guys think that’s a low bar for Fultz? Well I hope his play is atthe level you guys think it’ll be. I’m just trying to temper my expectations a bit. If he’s a 15/5/7 guy I’d be ecstatic. I’m hoping he turns into that and more. Adding a contributor of that level makes the team that much better long term.

It comes down to whether or not he is healthy.

If he is healthy, he will get more than 20 mpg and be the primary ball handler when on the floor ... neither of which he got in Philly while still nearly hitting your numbers.

Also, coach Cliff is fantastic at developing players. I’m excited to see what he can get out of Fultz.

We just need him to be healthy ... that is my concern.

Exactly. if he is healthy... I don't see y people would low ball him on his talent. Not saying he's a guarantee to be 25/6/6/1/1.... but it's the injury that is holding him back as of now. AND I PRAAAAAAAAAYY that he is healthy.... but his play over the 2 years in the NBA has to be taken with a grain of salt because the injury directly affected his play on the court and he didn't know what was wrong the entire time. If you don't know what is wrong with you... then the dr. keeps misdiagnosing you... it will eat into your career. If he comes back healthy... he is still the unanimous #1 pick in 2017... which has anywhere from superstar potential to bust potential.

We invested in him... so let's see where he takes us before making decisions such as not resigning vuc and ross to get a new starting pg... just to find out that he is healthy and ready to go. And to be honest... it might not be all up in our face.... but since he seems to be back on the court practicing... the front office will most likely have enough time to figure this out before having to make such decisions. For all we know... they are currently like... "we have our pg of the future... 2019 season we will unleash him on the NBA healthy". Just because it's not in the news and on a website , doesn't mean that things aren't in the working in the background.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 837

Post#69 » by I Rasharted » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:09 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Winning talent creates “winning culture”.
“Winning culture” doesn’t create talent.
Talent always wins in the NBA.

Sig-worthy. I think it's been so long since we've had a truly talented team that people forget what it takes.

GameOver25 wrote:I'm still afraid even after the playoffs, the FO will still commit to the same team. If this happens, I'll most likely only watch games here and there. These playoffs should have given them enough evaluation period.

basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#70 » by Skin » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 am

Future can be bright. It's not bright yet.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#71 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:45 am

This season was succesful.
Team won over .500 games since 2012.
For first time since 2010-11 team had top 10 defense.

I'm looking to build upon good season, Even marginal upgrades of bench guys ( Grant, MCW ,Iwundu ) will result better regular season ( baring injuries).

This might be most important summer for this franchise in long time.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#72 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:This season was succesful.

I'm looking to build upon good season, Even marginal upgrades of bench guys ( Grant, MCW ,Iwundu ) will result better regular season ( baring injuries).

The young starters will improve. The established starters are all prime-years players. Assuming Vučević resigns and Ross does not, If Fultz outplays Augustin to win the starter role, then this is really about i) finding a 10+ ppg scoring wing for the bench and upgrading Martin and Grant to flush out the roster. I'll call it i) Rudy Gay to replace Ross and ii) Taj Gibson and Carter-Williams. Add Romeo Langford from the draft, without doing "anything", the Magic is better next year than this last year's winning team.

Fultz/Augustin/Carter-Williams
Fournier/Langford/Frazier
Isaac/Gay/Iwundu
Gordon/Gibson
Vučević/Bamba/Mozgov

Constructing a roster like that would not be difficult. If healthy (including a healthy Mozgov), that could be a 45-50 win roster. But it is not a title contender.

MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#73 » by MoMM » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:40 pm

drsd wrote:

The young starters will improve. The established starters are all prime-years players. Assuming Vučević resigns and Ross does not, If Fultz outplays Augustin to win the starter role, then this is really about i) finding a 10+ ppg scoring wing for the bench and upgrading Martin and Grant to flush out the roster. I'll call it i) Rudy Gay to replace Ross and ii) Taj Gibson and Carter-Williams. Add Romeo Langford from the draft, without doing "anything", the Magic is better next year than this last year's winning team.

Isaac/Gay/Iwundu
Gordon/Gibson
Vučević/Bamba/Mozgov

Constructing a roster like that would not be difficult. If healthy (including a healthy Mozgov), that could be a 45-50 win roster. But it is not a title contender.

By staying put, we will be better next season, IMO (assuming we re-sign Vuc, Ross and Birch), however some teams will improve a lot too.

Nets will be better (ton of cap space + mid 1st).
Hawks will be in playoff talks (2 top10 picks).
Pistons and Heat will be worse because their rosters are getting old.
I think Hornets will lose Kemba, so they will be way worse, but if they keep him, they will improve.
Wizards have a Top 10 pick + Wall, so will try to make the playoffs too.
Bulls, Cavs and Knicks will be bad again.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:43 pm

drsd wrote:

Isaac/Gay/Iwundu
Gordon/Gibson
Vučević/Bamba/Mozgov

If we went into next season with this ....

…. I would be excited.

Fultz is the X-factor.... and his abilities and style of play would give every player a level up.... just because of what he brings to the table and the possible pressures that he can alleviate if he becomes what I expect him to be (health being the determining factor of course). The improvements on both ends of the court will give our team more room to grow.

players like Gay and Gibson will bring defense to the bench and offensive flare. I would love the addition of langford/NAW/Porter to our bench and eventual replacement for evan. Bamba will be a year older and show his own markable improvements on his game and body. haha... and let Mozgov return and make a contract year out of it. lol

so yes... a chill offseason can still reap large returns.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#75 » by MagicMatic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:06 pm

drsd wrote:

Isaac/Gay/Iwundu
Gordon/Gibson
Vučević/Bamba/Mozgov

This is assuming a lot. Will Fultz be better than DJ to take his starting role? Probably not. Also, It’s extremely unlikely Mozgov every sees the court in a Magic uniform.

By the way, bringing in vets like Gibson and Gay would likely be an overpay for bench depth. Do you really think Gay would choose Orlando over more appealing destinations? We wouldn’t be offering him a title seeking roster or the money in either scenario.

So in this scenario we are bringing back Vuc, getting rid of one of the only reliable perimeter scorers we have, keeping Fournier, pushing again for the same playoff situation, and bringing in more washed up vets at likely overpriced contracts. Sounds like the exact opposite of what we should do in every situation.

What is the goal in doing any of that anyway? Not a title contending roster and still wouldn’t beat the team we just lost to in the first round. Definition of mediocrity.
drsd
RealGM

Post#76 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:29 pm

MoMM wrote:By staying put, we will be better next season, IMO (assuming we re-sign Vuc, Ross and Birch), however some teams will improve a lot too.

I am not defending the "stay put", but this current roster is constructed constructionally to improve in 2020/21. Mozgov and Fournier coming off of the books, and all that.

But we Magic fans will learn a lot about the future when watching Fultz next year. There really is no other narrative to this off season.

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

drsd wrote:
MoMM wrote:By staying put, we will be better next season, IMO (assuming we re-sign Vuc, Ross and Birch), however some teams will improve a lot too.

I am not defending the "stay put", but this current roster is constructed constructionally to improve in 2020/21. Mozgov and Fournier coming off of the books, and all that.

But we Magic fans will learn a lot about the future when watching Fultz next year. There really is no other narrative to this off season.

Mozgov only has one more season on his contract and Fournier 2 years. but I feel there will be a HUGE step will be taken next season and the following.... with the opportunity of cap space to fill in the gaps in the upcoming offseasons.
drsd
RealGM

Post#78 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:This is assuming a lot. Will Fultz be better than DJ to take his starting role? Probably not. Also, It’s extremely unlikely Mozgov every sees the court in a Magic uniform.

By the way, bringing in vets like Gibson and Gay would likely be an overpay for bench depth. Do you really think Gay would choose Orlando over more appealing destinations? We wouldn’t be offering him a title seeking roster or the money in either scenario.

So in this scenario we are bringing back Vuc, getting rid of one of the only reliable perimeter scorers we have, keeping Fournier, pushing again for the same playoff situation, and bringing in more washed up vets at likely overpriced contracts. Sounds like the exact opposite of what we should do in every situation.

What is the goal in doing any of that anyway? Not a title contending roster and still wouldn’t beat the team we just lost to in the first round. Definition of mediocrity.

Aged FA's will look for a glory year: Gibson and Gay will look to 5M-at-best contracts. A 2-year 10M deal locks them in, IF they believe in Orlando. What is there to believe in; that is the question !!!

drsd
RealGM

Post#79 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:42 pm

MagicMatic wrote:This is assuming a lot. Will Fultz be better than DJ to take his starting role? Probably not. Also, It’s extremely unlikely Mozgov every sees the court in a Magic uniform.

Aged FA's will look for a glory year: Gibson and Gay will look to 5M-at-best contracts. A 2-year 10M deal locks them in, IF they believe in Orlando. What is there to believe in; that is the question !!!

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#80 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:05 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Mozgov only has one more season on his contract and Fournier 2 years. but I feel there will be a HUGE step will be taken next season and the following.... with the opportunity of cap space to fill in the gaps in the upcoming offseasons.

Where is this cap space coming from if you re sign Vuc & TRoss? The contracts those 2 sign will outweigh Moz's money so looking like next time for FA would be 2021.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic