ImageImageImageImageImage

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#1 » by Alfred » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Please discuss all former Raptors in this thread.
Hero
RealGM
And1: 53,363

Re: Former Raptor discussion thread 2.0 

Post#2 » by Hero » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:51 pm

What former Raps are even left in the playoffs besides Greg Monroe.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#3 » by Anticon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm

Are there any left in the playoffs? Just Monroe and Amir on Philly, PJ Tucker, and the guy that used to be on the 905 (McKinnie?).
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,873

Post#4 » by deeps6x » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm

DD, oh wait, nope.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
SpiderMunn
Starter
And1: 5,506

Post#5 » by SpiderMunn » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:56 pm

artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#6 » by artsncrafts » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:13 pm

Hero wrote:What former Raps are even left in the playoffs besides Greg Monroe.

McKinnie on the Warriors.
PJ Tucker on the Rockets.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#7 » by Natural11 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Poor performance from DD in game 7. I like the guy, but he needs to be a third option like KL is now.

The problem is he's paid too much for a team to have two guys better than him and still afford a decent supporting cast. He's kind of in that prime Melo territory of bring too good to make a medium salary and too expensive to fit on a championship caliber team. The Spurs need to get lucky with a cheap emerging star (ala Pascal). Not sure if Murray is that guy, but some are predicting him to have a MIP type of year when he's healthy.
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Post#8 » by Red Shoelace » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Rob Diaz
Analyst
And1: 5,390

Post#9 » by Rob Diaz » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:40 pm

Natural11 wrote:Poor performance from DD in game 7. I like the guy, but he needs to be a third option like KL is now.

The problem is he's paid too much for a team to have two guys better than him and still afford a decent supporting cast. He's kind of in that prime Melo territory of bring too good to make a medium salary and too expensive to fit on a championship caliber team. The Spurs need to get lucky with a cheap emerging star (ala Pascal). Not sure if Murray is that guy, but some are predicting him to have a MIP type of year when he's healthy.

Which is ridiculous, he's a terrible offensive player lol.
blastttOFF
General Manager
And1: 8,803

Post#10 » by blastttOFF » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:42 pm

McKinnie needs to do a better effort, or adjustment in his in game cheering, in order to beat the Rockets. he is currently giving the warriors a net -0.0012 ORTg when sitting beside Jonas Jerebko. Perhaps he slides over next to Quinn Cook
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#11 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:43 pm

JV should really work on his stamina and conditioning this offseason if he's coming back to Memphis next season. He's not used to playing heavy minutes anymore. You can tell it started taking a toll on him near the end of the season.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#12 » by everdiso » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Natural11 wrote:Poor performance from DD in game 7. I like the guy, but he needs to be a third option like KL is now.

Problem is he's no good as 3rd option because a) he's a bad off-the-ball offensive player b) terrible defensively.

The role Demar is best suited for is 6th man a la Lou Williams.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
GooniesNeverDie
RealGM
And1: 11,164

Post#13 » by GooniesNeverDie » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 pm

everdiso wrote:

Problem is he's no good as 3rd option because a) he's a bad off-the-ball offensive player b) terrible defensively.

The role Demar is best suited for is 6th man a la Lou Williams.

the nuggets were leaving him open way too often when he didn't have the ball in his hands. if siakam can develop a spot up shot, i dont understand why demar cant.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#14 » by RonaldArtest » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:13 am

I can see Lonnie Walker developing into a star, he's got some really nice tools.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#15 » by Kabookalu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:17 am

DeRozan finished a series with his best showing with .557TS%, by far his best. His defense was decent for the most part too. His closeouts always suck, but his help positioning at times was spot on.

He was dreadful in game 7, and he's getting rightly hammered for it as he should, but I came out of that game thinking it was more Aldridge's fault than his. He's so useless if he's not hitting those contested fadeaways, and he clogged up the paint because he's always looking to post up. I know I'm a Derrick White stan so I'll be biased, and he himself has to blame for being so bad, but White had so little room to carve up the lanes because of Aldridge. Even when he'd successfully beat Harris off the dribble, Jokic or Plumlee were always in good position to challenge him because of Aldridge. I got so frustrated watching that game because White had a lot of good opportunities to attack the paint, but Aldridge would get in his way demanding the ball, only to settle for some awful late clock fadeaway.

However DeRozan really does need to not suck as a spot up shooter to be more conducive on a winning team. The fact that he can't even spot up from mid range hurts the Spurs a lot, which is on top of Aldridge being a blackhole in the post. I remember in his second year we ran a lot of off ball pindowns for him to get open for mid range. It kills me every time he gets open off of curls, and instead of pulling up he dribbles into the post to settle for fadeaway jumpers. Watching Kawhi and DeMar back to back really opens your eyes to the discrepancy in their skills as a mid range threat. Contrary to what all the commentators say, DeMar isn't the mid range master.
Read on Twitter
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#16 » by RaptorsLife » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:57 am

**** derozan

I was giddy when I saw him choke as usual
Raptors til death
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,108

Post#17 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:03 am

that has always been the problem. He was fine coming out of college. THen MLSE lost bosh and said **** it Demar you are our face of the franchise now. From that point on he was never required to play defense, his job was to score as much as possible and make headlines.

He is still a serviceable player, but he didn't have a chance to be a good player since his 3rd year when the franchise ruined his mentality and gave him a big head.
Gold Dragon
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,582

Post#18 » by Gold Dragon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 am

Chandan wrote:

that has always been the problem. He was fine coming out of college. THen MLSE lost boshand said **** it Demar you are our face of the franchise now. From that point on he was never required to play defense, his job was to score as much as possible and make headlines.

This is often the problem with tanking in general. Unless you get that all around player who has already been close to fully developed in college or has elite IQ and work ethic to develop his game, you are drafting a player who will have flaws and will not know how to improve those flaws in an environment where they are surrounded by bad players and given a green light to develop bad habits in the name of selling tickets and becoming the face of the franchise.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#19 » by Kabookalu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 am

Also, I have to say that Lou Williams and Rudy Gay were my two most hated Raptors of all time. But I was actually cheering for them this postseason. I love the improvements they've made to become more winning players. I thought Lou was a hopeless case, but he became a damn good floor general, and Rudy Gay changed up his game where he's bullying his way closer to the basket so he can use his length to get good positioning. These kinds of stories win me over.

Carroll on the other hand :nonono:

Read on Twitter
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#20 » by Matty » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:05 am

Kabookalu wrote:Also, I have to say that Lou Williams and Rudy Gay were my two most hated Raptors of all time. But I was actually cheering for them this postseason. I love the improvements they've made to become more winning players. I thought Lou was a hopeless case, but he became a damn good floor general, and Rudy Gay changed up his game where he's bullying his way closer to the basket so he can use his length to get good positioning. These kinds of stories win me over.

Carroll on the other hand :nonono:

LOL Why do you hate Lou?

Return to Toronto Raptors